Thread: No Man's Sky

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    The only sad part about this is how many people are freaking out about what is probably the least committed response to the idea of paid DLC.

Bunch of ya'll are treating it like it's an announcement of paid DLC.

You know what he was actually saying? Something along the lines of if they really wanted to do a feature, and just couldn't find a way to add it to the game in such a way that didn't require an additional budget beyond what they currently have (as a supposed game developer, you should know all about budget constraints and how that can impact development, but like others I think you're lying out your ass about being a developer), that they might have to look at doing it as a paid DLC or expansion option, but that doing that isn't the current plan.

In other, other words, it's "We might have to in the future, but right now we don't plan on it."

And he's getting raked over the coals like he just announced Day One DLC Procedural Horse Armor for $5.
    paid DLC isnt even that bad imo as long as its adds enough new content to justify the price, and doesnt make the base game unplayable. (looking at some of the old call of duty map packs that made it so you needed the new map packs to play online multiplayer)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    It definitely needs it for PC - it's clearly designed for a controller, and works well enough there (though the no crashing/no going below a certain altitude and the no hovering in place even in space has me scratching my head) in terms of using the sticks, R1/L1 and R2/L2.
    not tried it with a controller, but most of the game seems like the UI is designed for controller.

Am I doing it wrong? The transmission towers I get from the chip bypass only have multitool schematics, no crashed ships. There are sometimes engines but locked behind the Atlas pass I dont have yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Am I doing it wrong? The transmission towers I get from the chip bypass only have multitool schematics, no crashed ships. There are sometimes engines but locked behind the Atlas pass I dont have yet.
    Nothing we're talking about are locked behind Atlas Pass doors. I bumped myself to 48/48/24 looong before I got the Atlas Pass upgrades.

Transmission towers have a central console. That console ALWAYS takes you to a crashed ship. Observatories ALWAYS take you to a monolith. Manufacturing plants give you a special manufacturing recipe, like the manufacturable items, the Atlas Pass v2/v3, and so forth (not multi-tool/exosuit/ship recipes, I believe).

The central consoles look like this;

The grid you see behind it is what pops up when you get the question right. There's usually an alien in the room, too; he can be ignored (or not; he's just irrelevant to the crashed-ship-chase).

Did anybody really believe that a team of 15 people would successfully create an entire universe ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Yeah you can boil it down, but the shooting a beam at a rock in this case seems to get old pretty quick. Maybe the range is so large that some people are getting awesome planets and some people are getting nothing but lame ones? Maybe the green/blue ones take too long to get to for most people. It's a farming game, and those are fun to some people but others expected a lot more (fault of the devs+way too much hype).

You can apply my response to Endus to the rest of your post. This part is silly though, there are lots of legit reasons to dislike the game, mostly because the devs lied about a bunch of things.
    There's very little to actually farm in terms of shooting rocks. The longest I spent farming was:

1. Upgrading my exosuit to 48 slots
    2. Upgrading my ship to 48 slots.

And that took all of maybe 8 hours average for each one. At that point, the materials required for the warp upgrades require very little rock shooting. This game in general requires so little actual rock shooting - unless you WANT to shoot rocks to sell said rocks for money.

As I said, this game doesn't hold your hand. You say that maybe people don't get lucky. A lot of those times that it seems people "don't get lucky" they really just didn't find out what to do or how to play the game to get what they wanted so they quit. This game is very different from other games that lead you to how to base build, or how to upgrade yourself, or how to upgrade your ship, or in general other games that tell you HOW to progress. This game however you must figure it out on your own, and I see a lot of people getting frustrated and giving up at that stage, the stage where they have to figure it out.

And yes, that is a taste thing. It's not a bad thing. They have a short attention span for games that make you figure things out. They do not want to play something that requires too much thought... and again, I cannot stress that this is not a diss on them. They don't have that attention span, but that is just their tastes.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Did anybody really believe that a team of 15 people would successfully create an entire universe ?
    yes, And they have, such is the wonder of procedural generation. You only have to make a formula and that makes billions of worlds on its own.

The universe creation worked fine. The sandbox is there.
    The problem is there are not enough toys to play with in the sandbox.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Nothing we're talking about are locked behind Atlas Pass doors. I bumped myself to 48/48/24 looong before I got the Atlas Pass upgrades.

Transmission towers have a central console. That console ALWAYS takes you to a crashed ship. Observatories ALWAYS take you to a monolith. Manufacturing plants give you a special manufacturing recipe, like the manufacturable items, the Atlas Pass v2/v3, and so forth (not multi-tool/exosuit/ship recipes, I believe).

The central consoles look like this;

The grid you see behind it is what pops up when you get the question right. There's usually an alien in the room, too; he can be ignored (or not; he's just irrelevant to the crashed-ship-chase).
    Atlaspass v2 and v3 come from operations centers, not manufacturing facilities. Manufacturing facilities mostly give you practical upgrade things for your ship and exosuit upgrades, operations centers give you recipes for either items you can craft to sell for big money or stored energy/shielding.

Also a minor correction about transmission towers and aliens, it's going to depend on the planet. Some planets have aliens in every building, some planets are more or less abandoned and have aliens in none. I did most of my ship upgrading on a planet where there were no aliens in any of the transmission towers. Each planet is going to be unique in that aspect, but yes, transmission towers are how you upgrade ships.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Altberg View Post
    - Interaction animations causing loss of control take wayyy too long. Especially when a drone starts attacking you right after you interact with, say, a Monolith.
    Oh fuck me, this is really annoying after a while. They need to make the NPC dialogue options appear instantly.

Also I really would like a screenshot mode for the PS4 that removes all the UI elements. No point taking any screenshots currently because the image has got icons all over it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Oh please, no one is gonna buy that. Especially real developers.

Just look at these things you said:

You have no idea what technical demo is
    You have no idea what alpha and beta are
    You don't know what a prototype is
    You fail to realize that you are unable to make such a game by yourself in 2 years time

Developer my ass.
    Dude, please. Leave a shred of him to rebuild his image.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Dude, please. Leave a shred of him to rebuild his image.
    I have him on my ignore list, on normal forum such person would be perma-banned long time ago for a constant personal harassment aimed at a few people, most of his posts are like that, but whatever. we both wasted more than enough time on him.

Regarding of the development - well, who siad that the game should be full 3d? Also, if 3d, there are a few engines that could help alot. 2.5D games like Stardew Valley were made by one person in +2 years of development time. Starbound has a veery small team, also a few years of time and it offers muuuch more than NMS. It really depends on the skill, tools, ideas, budget, proper planning etc etc.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-08-20 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    yes, And they have, such is the wonder of procedural generation. You only have to make a formula and that makes billions of worlds on its own.

The universe creation worked fine. The sandbox is there.
    The problem is there are not enough toys to play with in the sandbox.
    Not really, too many things are custom made. They should have focused more on the procedural generation, instead of trying to create animals and stuff manually.
    An universe where everything created via procedural generation would be way, way out of their capabilities. The generator of life alone would be more complex than the current game itself.
    It indeed looks like a proof of concept rather than a real game.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2016-08-20 at 01:11 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, too many things are custom made. They should have focused more on the procedural generation, instead of trying to create animals and stuff manually.
    An universe where everything created via procedural generation would be way, way out of their capabilities. The generator of life alone would be more complex than the current game itself.
    It indeed looks like a proof of concept rather than a real game.
    You seem to be confusing creation of the game universe with simulation of the real universe. Is it on purpose or by mistake?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    having to reload the game every time i make any change in the graphics menu is getting annoying, ive never seen a game do that before. WoW has a few options that require restarting the game, but never seen a game that needs restarting for every option!

A universe where everything is created via procedural generation rather than a mix of procedural and pulling from pre-created art asset options (which is what NMS does for animals and such, though structures and such are obviously done by hand before) is, simply put, an unrealistic expectation even for big game companies.

That NMS uses the pulling from pre-created art asset options doesn't make it any less of a created universe, it's simply one with a narrower set of rules for certain things (the complexity of doing it all procedurally, from say the atom level up, which is how you'd procedurally generate everything if you could pull it off, is significantly higher than you seem to think).

Unrelated to that topic - managed to capture two separate instances of an animal attacking and killing another animal on a planet that I'll share here when I've uploaded them. They didn't stick around to eat them, but there's definitely aggression and a kill.

Deleted
    has anyone else never been able to analyse and identify flying animals? everytime i come accross any, no matter how long i leave the analyis visor pointing at the flying creature, it never analyses it :| never been able to complete a planet because of it, it doesnt even matter how close ig et to them , the red circle shows but nothing happens :\
    Last edited by mmocef2fdcc82b; 2016-08-20 at 03:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    has anyone else never been able to analyse and identify flying animals? everytime i come accross any, no matter how long i leave the analyis visor pointing at the flying creature, it never analyses it :| never been able to complete a planet because of it, it doesnt even matter how close ig et to them , the red circle shows but nothing happens :\
    Yeah I had the same issues time and again. I just resorted to blowing them out the sky and scanning their dead body. :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Altberg View Post
    Yeah I had the same issues time and again. I just resorted to blowing them out the sky and scanning their dead body. :/
    oh you can do that? ive just been giving up

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    oh you can do that? ive just been giving up
    Yes you can, but the trick to do it the right way is to get closer to them, on an elevation and in their path of flying (so they don't get out of range) and just follow one with your scanner trying to keep it in the big roundy rectangle thing, it may take a while.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Yes you can, but the trick to do it the right way is to get closer to them, on an elevation and in their path of flying (so they don't get out of range) and just follow one with your scanner trying to keep it in the big roundy rectangle thing, it may take a while.
    ive been doing that, usually i thought i was just too far away or something, but the ones i just had i was standing on a hill next to the birds, was practically touching them, and they just dont scan, never had an issue with land animals or plants, im just gonna stick to shooting them and doing it that way for now, less hassle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Patch notes for the first 3 patches has been released

Patch Notes

posted by HelloGames @ 09:28AM on August 20, 2016
    Since No Man’s Sky on PC released last Friday the team has been incredibly busy. We’ve gathered all the support requests to support@hellogames.co.uk, but we’re also tracking posts on Steam, GoG, Reddit and anywhere we can find online.
    Right now the team is fully focused on categorising and fixing support issues in order of priority, based on the number of people they are affecting. The information and crash dumps you’ve posted have been indispensable in helping us track down and fix these issues.
    We’ve now released 3 patches, and hopefully they really improve the experience for everybody. As you can see it’s been a huge amount of work for a small team. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
    Next week expect at least one more major update, which will enter testing on Monday once we finish working on it this weekend. Once all our support requests have been answered then we can begin improving the game with new features
    See below for notes on all three recent patches!
    Patch 1

The focus of patch 1 was to add greater support for more hardware. Either specific hardware configs, or hardware outside our min spec. We want as many people to be able to play as possible, and these were our most reported issues.
    AMD Phenom Support
    Game is now confirmed working on Phenom CPUs.
    Thousands of lines of assembly have been rewritten to support AMD CPUs. The game code no longer relies on anything above SSE 2, Havok Physics has also now created new libs for us to add Phenom support.
    Alt-Tab has improved
    Some systems/configs were crashing or not pausing correctly on Alt Tab. This should now be resolved.
    Improved Performance
    On CPUs with 4 threads or fewer, performance has been improved.
    On CPUs with exactly 8 threads, performance has also been significantly improved.
    Framerate Stuttering due to Shader Caching
    Framerate was initially stuttering due to shaders not being correctly cached by the GPU on some systems. We have replaced the GPU caching system. You may notice some stutter during the Galactic Map intro to the game (the very first time you run), but it should be smoother from then on. This is particularly true on ATI cards.
    Max FPS Cap
    On some CPU/GPU configurations, setting Max FPS to 60 or 30 was not giving 60 or 30 FPS (causing stuttering). This has been fixed.
    Radeon 6xxx
    Added support for this GPU, which doesn't support OpenGL 4.5 fully.
    Save Corruption
    Solution to try to prevent saves getting corrupted no matter what’s going on in background processes (see Patch 3 below, where we also are attempting to recover corrupted saves).
    Intel GPU Detection
    We do not currently support Intel GPUS. We are working on this for a future patch, to expand our min spec.
    In the meantime, the game will now let you know if you are trying to run with an unsupported GPU. This will hopefully flag for some users that their high end GPU has not been selected.
    Gsync
    Gsync has been disabled by default, which was causing an issue for some users
    Mouse Smoothing
    Generally this is most helpful for players with sub-30 FPS.
    Smoothing on mouse movement has been improved to prevent hitching or stuttering, and is now adjustable through the Options menu in “Mouse Smoothing”.
    It defaults to off. If you feel micro stutters in framerate affecting controls, feel free to turn this up. If you feel the framerate is "slow" or "lumpy", please make sure that this is turned off
    Patch 2

For patch 2 our focus was on the most reported bugs or crashes. Our aim was to improve stability, and make sure player’s saves are safe in future.
    Stuck under the world
    It was possible for players to save their game stuck under the terrain, leaving them stuck. This was caused by getting shot down in atmosphere, and their ship reaching ridiculous speeds as it crashed to the planet. This has been resolved.
    Whilst it won't happen anymore, if you are currently already stuck under the world, we detect this and do our best to rescue you.
    Crash after warping
    Occasionally at random the game would lock up after a warp, or return to desktop. This was due to very specific timing in hardware (a threading specific bug) – meaning that unfortunately for some people it was regular, and for others they would never be able to recreate it. This was our most reported crash during gameplay, and has now been resolved.
    Game failing to save until you died
    If the player died, and then loaded the game ten times without saving, and then died, player progress wouldn’t be saved from then on until you died again. This is fixed now! This was also causing player’s saves to grow in size.
    Crash fixes in scanning
    Quite a rare crash, but in certain scenarios it was possible to scan from space or on planet and crash the game.
    Crash warping inside a freighter
    When warping into a battle sometimes the player warped into the inside of a freighter and everything went crazy This is fixed now.
    Patch 3

Patch 3 is targeted at our next most common support requests, fixing the next most common crashes, as well as trying to help players who have become stranded or have corrupted their save files.
    Stranded in Space Station
    If you died in your ship while in atmosphere of a planet with a damaged ship, you could respawn in a space station with your launch thrusters and pulse engine damaged. If you did not have the resources to fix them then you could no longer take off and be stuck there. This will no longer happen.
    Loading Corrupted Save Files
    Some players have corrupted save files, we’ve been working with them to still load saves even if they are corrupted (this can happen for many reasons outside of the games control). This fix has allowed many players to still load their save even if they have become corrupt on PC.
    Crash fixes for next three most commonly reported issues:
    - As the player gathers a huge amount of discoveries, there was a threading issue that becomes more prevalent the more discoveries you have, and could cause the game to crash.
    - If you had collected a large number of blueprints, in a specific order it was possible to crash the game when you received a new blueprint. This has been fixed.
    - Players who set a large number of waypoints could find themselves in a situation where they could crash the game in the Galactic Map, this is remedied now (PS. A better waypoint system is coming).
    Overall these fixes should remedy around 70% of our current support requests. We're working on the next 30% right now. If you are still experiencing issues please do mail support@hellogames.co.uk
    Thank you,
    Hello Games