Beotorch - Online SimulationCraft Frontend

I've been working on a personal project for a while now (since around Christmas) that has been up and stable since late February called Beotorch. In a tl;dr nutshell, Beotorch is an online SimulationCraft frontend that allows you to queue up and simulate your character on my hardware, completely for free. Today, with the launch of the Legion Prepatch, I have also updated Beotorch for the prepatch and it is now using the Legion development branch of SimulationCraft. I update the build being used at least nightly (more frequently right now) so it is always up to date with the latest bug fixes and APL improvements.

For those who don't know me, I'm a SimulationCraft developer, mostly focused on the Shadow Priest module. I also leverage SimulationCraft heavily for my own Shadow theorycrafting. One of the reasons why I have so much computational power available is because I need to use it in bursts (around patches), but the rest of the time it sits largely idle. Coupling that with needing a way to run my own sims across multiple boxes, I decided to build out Beotorch to help with this. I'll spare you the gory details, but I do have an FAQ available on the site.

From the FAQ, a little more on why I decided to create Beotorch:

Why create Beotorch?
    There are many reasons why I decided to create Beotorch. A few of the largest include:

• There is a barrier to entry in using SimulationCraft successfully. These barriers vary from user to user, but usually include some of the following: not understanding how to use SimulationCraft, SimulationCraft not being supported on their OS anymore (RIP 32bit Windows users), having an outdated version of SimulationCraft and not knowing it, lacking processing power to do longer simulations (i.e.: stat weights), or not being able to easily share the results of their simulations. Beotorch alleviates all of these concerns. This isn't to say that people will not find value from running SimulationCraft on their own machines, rather that Beotorch makes it easier to accomplish the most common use cases of SimulationCraft.
    • I have a lot of extra processing power that is sitting around unused most of the time.
    • I do massive simulation runs for my own theorycrafting. Up until this point it has largely been done by hand or with kludgy scripts that were prone to breakage. Beotorch gives me a framework to be able to queue up my own simulations fairly easily, there by reducing the overhead required for me to do my massive simualtion runs.
    • Finally, related to the last two points, I want to try and make this simulating platform available to other class theorycrafters so that they can do more detailed analysis of their own. This isn't in place yet, but hopefully SoonTM.
    I'm interested in hearing from people how they like/dislike the site, what features they'd like to see added, and just feedback in general! Cheers!
    Last edited by Twintop; 2016-07-20 at 01:25 AM.
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

Sounds awesome man. Would you prefer feedback here or on the site?

Either here or through the Github I have created for reporting issues ( https://github.com/Twintop/beotorch-issues ) would be great!

Twintop

Great tool.

Any plans to allow for custom APL's?

Would love to offload talent/trinket permutations on you

Quote Originally Posted by ArchitechSK View Post
    Twintop

Great tool.

Any plans to allow for custom APL's?

Would love to offload talent/trinket permutations on you
    I actually have that implemented as of a few weeks ago (which was one of the main goals of the project)! It's in a really small beta right now but if everything goes well I'll be opening it up to others in time for Nighthold (most likely).

Quote Originally Posted by Twintop View Post
    I actually have that implemented as of a few weeks ago (which was one of the main goals of the project)! It's in a really small beta right now but if everything goes well I'll be opening it up to others in time for Nighthold (most likely).
    another suggested feature

Would be cool if you could select your trinkets or such (maybe import from an add one similar to AMR)

and have it do trinket pairwise comparison (which of these selection of trinkets would be best)

This is awesome. Ideal for when I want to check something quick without going to the bother of grabbing the latest build myself. Thanks!

Beotorch was taken down back at the end of September because I stepped away from the game. As of today, Beotorch is back online, with a shiny new host to boot.

Great to see you back and great to have a useful tool to throw at people unable to figure out how to download simcraft themselves again (sincerely, was arguing with a guildie last night about it!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    great job, looking good!
    i only get errors when trying to sim my pala tho
    tried with modified settings, default settings, with and without scaling

edit: found an errorlog:
    [2016-10-10]: PTR-Hotfix "In-game testing shows that the damage from this ability is roughly 10% higher than what spelldata shows." for spell "Mark of the Hidden Satyr" effect #1 does not match verification value. Field: average, DBC: 0, Verify: 26.486
    SimulationCraft 710-03 for World of Warcraft 7.1.0 Live (wow build 22995, git build 39dd761)
    sim_signal_handler: Segmentation fault! Iteration=1317 Seed=6110474913739051880 TargetHealth=83184934
    Last edited by mmoc3b9d384bb1; 2016-12-14 at 02:03 PM.

Deleted
    Interesting, which technology stack did you use seeing Simc is written in c++?

Either here or through the Github I have created for reporting issues ( https://github.com/Twintop/beotorch-issues ) would be great!

When registering a new account, if your password is invalid it shows an X beside it. Once you update the password to a valid one, the X is still there but you can successfully register.

Beotorch was taken down back at the end of September because I stepped away from the game. As of today, Beotorch is back online, with a shiny new host to boot.
    Yay! I'm super excited about this

Welcome back dadtop, knew you couldn't stay away for too long xD

Cool! I did something similar about 2 years ago in rails, but I only got as far as running simulations on the base armory character with rotation configuration.

A chance to catch up on replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Jebachina View Post
    Interesting, which technology stack did you use seeing Simc is written in c++?
    Site itself is JQuery+JSrender and PHP/MySQL. Nodes are Perl.

Quote Originally Posted by Sohryu View Post
    great job, looking good!
    i only get errors when trying to sim my pala tho
    tried with modified settings, default settings, with and without scaling

edit: found an errorlog:
    [2016-10-10]: PTR-Hotfix "In-game testing shows that the damage from this ability is roughly 10% higher than what spelldata shows." for spell "Mark of the Hidden Satyr" effect #1 does not match verification value. Field: average, DBC: 0, Verify: 26.486
    SimulationCraft 710-03 for World of Warcraft 7.1.0 Live (wow build 22995, git build 39dd761)
    sim_signal_handler: Segmentation fault! Iteration=1317 Seed=6110474913739051880 TargetHealth=83184934
    I'll have to see if this is a SimC issue or a Beotorch running issue.

Quote Originally Posted by InkarnateKT View Post
    When registering a new account, if your password is invalid it shows an X beside it. Once you update the password to a valid one, the X is still there but you can successfully register.
    I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Yay! I'm super excited about this
    Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    Welcome back dadtop, knew you couldn't stay away for too long xD
    <3 you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    Cool! I did something similar about 2 years ago in rails, but I only got as far as running simulations on the base armory character with rotation configuration.
    There's a ton that can be done with something like this, but as I'm sure you saw first hand it can be rather involved to get a whole system in place. Is yours up somewhere? Still something you tinker with?

Deleted
    Lovely web, very useful, i'm using simulationcraft all the time and this could be nice.

Some things that I would use if it's implemented:

* Instead of only importing from Armory it would be nice we could insert the text from the simc addon like you would on simc.

* I would love if we could import a guild all in one go, maybe with level filters, class filters, or rank filters, I run sim for all my guild to provide stat weights. I know this could be very heavy server side but maybe some limitations could be added to reduce this.

*Trinket testing! It would also be really nice if we could select alternative trinkets to test, maybe a pop-up that opens wowhead where you search for your trinket, then it copies the URL with the bonuses you choose (extra socket, titanforged, etc) and simulation craft creates copies just like it would do on the standalone software.

Overall this is very nice, I'll show it to my guildmates. Thanks for your work
    Last edited by mmoc76053cf4df; 2016-12-16 at 10:31 AM.

As an FYI, Beotorch is updated for 7.1.5 as of this afternoon with a few new features to boot: 1 click Pawn strings, and, talent comparison sims are back.

It has been a busy month! Sorry @zevah for not replying sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by zevah View Post
    * Instead of only importing from Armory it would be nice we could insert the text from the simc addon like you would on simc.
    This is definitely on my to-do list. There are some security considerations to be taken first, though, since people could attempt to place code in that would e.g. spawn 50 adds. If I can sanitize the inputs properly then absolutely.

* I would love if we could import a guild all in one go, maybe with level filters, class filters, or rank filters, I run sim for all my guild to provide stat weights. I know this could be very heavy server side but maybe some limitations could be added to reduce this.
    This is a great idea! It will need some new dev to make it work right (specifically a way to select members of a guild or pull multiple toons, without the talent selection options).

*Trinket testing! It would also be really nice if we could select alternative trinkets to test, maybe a pop-up that opens wowhead where you search for your trinket, then it copies the URL with the bonuses you choose (extra socket, titanforged, etc) and simulation craft creates copies just like it would do on the standalone software.
    This could definitely be done, probably after the SimC Addon support is added.

Overall this is very nice, I'll show it to my guildmates. Thanks for your work
    Thank you, and most of all thanks for your feedback!