Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Knight armor in cold weather?

How well does it do in cold weather? I could find it anywhere on the internet about this sort of matter. I would think it would be bad since metal is good conductor to cold or heat. But I'm not an expert on medival armor.

7+ Year Old Account
    do you know how much knight armor weights?

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing to consider, is you are wearing more than the armor. You have a padded suit under it so you don't get punched between joints and for comfort. So it also acts as insulation.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

From what I understand they would wear quilted shirts against their skin and the chain or whatever over that.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witcher Arafal View Post
    do you know how much knight armor weights?
    Roughly 100lbs.

I think medieval armor was lined with leather or sheep skin+fur so that they could be used in the cold without freezing to it.

Then again, I really have no idea, but I know it was lined with something cause metal to skin contact isnt good in anykind of weather.

There's a few things that need to be addressed before your question can be answered.

1) What do you mean exactly by "How Well does it do in cold weather"?
    2) How cold are we talking about?
    3) What do you mean by "Knight Armour"? Plate mail, Chain Mail?
    4) What metal is the armour composed of?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

From what I understand they would wear quilted shirts against their skin and the chain or whatever over that.
    This is correct.

Also, plate mail was no cheap, so most soldiers didn't wear it.

Most could wear chain mail, but even that comes at a steep cost.

Most didn't wear much armor in the 14th century.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    There's a few things that need to be addressed before your question can be answered.

I just went with the assumption of the most commonly thought of plate which is iron full plate.

Deleted
    Plate wasn't common in wars and the majority of wars were fought in the Spring/Summer months. That's why the month of March got the name from Mars, the God of War.

10+ Year Old Account

1. Before they freeze to death( hypothermia )
    2. Northern Europe/Scandinavian cold. Winters.
    3. Full iron plate armor, a suit of armor.
    4. Whatever is the most common? Iron/steel?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fancy plate armor you see in movies and RPG's didn't exists on the level as it did in the real world. It was mainly reserved for Guards within the castle (so someone couldn't quickly take them out without others knowing or hearing) and Knights who engaged in friendly jousting.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    How well does it do in cold weather? I could find it anywhere on the internet about this sort of matter. I would think it would be bad since metal is good conductor to cold or heat. But I'm not an expert on medival armor.
    Typically medieval combat stopped in the winter. Particularly in the more rigidly feudal societies where men at arms only owed their liege 60-90 days service as feudal obligation to their Lord. Most campaigns happened in the warmer months because winter tended to kill the armies they could muster. Knights being landed warriors were also able to leave the field once their duty and obligation was fulfilled.

A Medieval knight wore a thick cloth armor suite called a gambeson under their suite of armor. This insulated them pretty well, so I doubt the cold metal plates caused problems. What was more a problem is weather reducing mobility. Lack of food, sickness and other problems associated with Winter campaigns in that period.

About the Gambeson:

But in terms of Winter combat, few lords, or Kings could really afford to fight in the Winter and usually would hold up somewhere for the Winter. Winter campaigns were risky, though if you could mount them they had a big pay off. But they were rare. The real threat was logistics in a winter campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    1. Before they freeze to death( hypothermia )
    2. Northern Europe/Scandinavian cold. Winters.
    3. Full iron plate armor, a suit of armor.
    It's easy to answer. None if it happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I asked is how well it handles in the cold. Not the extra stuff from the responses I've been receiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post

I just went with the assumption of the most commonly thought of plate which is iron full plate.
    Those are assumptions though. Can't answer the OP's question without actually knowing what he's thinking.
    Is he asking how good they are as protection against the cold, or is he asking how the cold weather might affect the armour's mobility.
    Is it plate or chain? Is it iron or steel?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    It's easy to answer. None if it happened.
    Ook? So how about hypothetically?

Just pray for warmth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are assumptions though. Can't answer the OP's question without actually knowing what he's thinking.
    Is he asking how good they are as protection against the cold, or is he asking how the cold weather might affect the armour's mobility.
    Is it plate or chain? Is it iron or steel?
    I just answered it. 1 - 4. Mainly how well does it protect the wearer from the cold?

All I asked is how well it handles in the cold. Not the extra stuff from the responses I've been receiving.
    depends on how cold we are talking. but i would think ice would be an issue in extreme temperatures.

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine the under lining would be sufficient enough to keep you warm. Now add on thick plate breaking the wind and keeping moisture out, and it all weighing a crap ton so every step you take is a work out. You'd probably be quite warm.