Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up I miss Diablo III's Real-Money-Auction-House

I bought Diablo III and its' expansion when they were each released, and have leveled almost every class to 70, with Wizard having been leveled to 70 three separate times. I used to adore the gameplay and explorative RPG action. I thought it was such an innovation for Blizzard to take hold of the reins of the market for buying gear from other players. Was it 'game-breaking'? Perhaps. In my opinion no, but I was sort of a casual. You won't find me on top of any ladders, but if there was one for sheer hours played, you might.

I think the excitement with playing died slowly once the Adventure Mode option became available with Reaper of Souls. Instead of playing through the game and leveling up and acquiring gear (even through the RMAH when you hit a lul in drops while leveling), you simply log on, grind the 5 quests per zone, do each zone, then log off and log back on to do the random quests again (or should I just call them world quests ....). The other option of course is Rifts and Greater Rifts, but those are even more randomly generated than the random quests.

We as gamers have always griped about why linear gameplay isn't fun, but after witnessing what happens as the reciprocal to linear, I can't find any motivation to even log on any more. Having a linear path of progression gives motivation to get to the next check point!

I always enjoyed gearing up, and when you have an alt that has a socketed weapon drop, and you grab a high end Ruby from your main to use for it, your damage skyrockets! It was so thrilling to me to blast bosses away with a few strikes, it almost felt like a cheat code. When drops weren't in your favor, you could swing over to the RMAH, using money or gold mind you, and play around with auctions.

I understand what all went into that system, and how Blizzard's design was not how the game ended up with direction, but personally, I loved where it was going.

On a tangent, do any of you feel any similarities between the current state of Diablo III's endgame and that of WoW Legion? I have stopped playing Legion out of boredom, in the exact same fashion and timeframe that Diablo III became boring, and in my opinion, for the same reasons.

Thoughts?

Deleted
    Diablo is better then ever now.

RMAH was bullcr*p

Both of the auction houses were terrible, as was the loot system. I never got a single legendary worth anything to my class. I always had to buy stuff from AH, and try to sell whatever worthless drops I did get. Was not funny, nor did it feel rewarding.

Then again, this current season I'm not finding it amusing how my character has 408 paragon, and I've seen flat zero socket cubes drop. Like, none. Never was a problem in any earlier seasons for me.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2017-02-08 at 03:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

The rifts are fun because they stay challenging, trying to find tricks to progress and builds that can most efficiency work.

That being said, real money action house was a bad idea. a regular action house would have been fine ( if gold was useful for something at the time, and pieces were still a pain to get) but the real money auction house made the game feel pay to win. Also, finishing on the highest difficulty without more challenge made it so the game felt over. ( once i figured out the hardest difficulty, i didn't feel like experimenting to break the game further, as there was no sense of reward from doing so)

Deleted
    Pretty quickly the auction houses became dominated by players who enjoyed controlling the economy and effectively all gear that wasn't trash became too expensive for the majority of players. Also drop rates were tuned around the existence of the auction houses, so rather than farming items, you had to farm gold so you could buy the item you needed off someone who had won the 0.001% lottery.

It's a better game without it. Play with people, pass loot around if you don't need it, simpler and more pleasant experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not even quite sure what the actual complaint is in your post. With the RMAH you pretty much circumvented the entire grind associated with Diablo and defeated the purpose of the drop system.

Are you saying you wish you could buy all your raid gear in Legion? Is that why you're quitting? I don't see how the two are similar when it comes to the RMAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    Thoughts?
    You didn't even attempt to make some sort of relevant argument supporting your dumb click bait title.

I played when Diablo III first came out, I have to load it up again and see what's changed.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Yeah man i loved watching items being worth 200 billion and realizing you had to get an extremely lucky drop or farm gold for 2 years where you needed MF sets. Not a chance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alahard View Post
    The rifts are fun because they stay challenging, trying to find tricks to progress and builds that can most efficiency work.

That being said, real money action house was a bad idea. a regular action house would have been fine ( if gold was useful for something at the time, and pieces were still a pain to get) but the real money auction house made the game feel pay to win. Also, finishing on the highest difficulty without more challenge made it so the game felt over. ( once i figured out the hardest difficulty, i didn't feel like experimenting to break the game further, as there was no sense of reward from doing so)
    I almost exclusively used the Gold Auction-House, so perhaps saying "Real-Money" Action-House is more misleading.

Regarding hitting the difficulty cap and feeling done, I always enjoyed leveling a new character and getting better gear. Greater Rifts always providing a challenge certainly isn't a bad thing!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Yeah man i loved watching items being worth 200 billion and realizing you had to get an extremely lucky drop or farm gold for 2 years where you needed MF sets. Not a chance
    Could it ever be considered that Blizzard could instate some sort of cap, or balance, to prevent the over-inflation of items?
    The US SEC (Securities & Exchange Commission)'s purpose is, "three-part mission: to protect investors; maintain fair, orderly, and efficient markets; and facilitate capital formation". (Taken from their Wikipedia page)

... or is that too ridiculous? lol

I almost exclusively used the Gold Auction-House, so perhaps saying "Real-Money" Action-House is more misleading.

Regarding hitting the difficulty cap and feeling done, I always enjoyed leveling a new character and getting better gear. Greater Rifts always providing a challenge certainly isn't a bad thing!

- - - Updated - - -
    Still, the real money aspect did make in feel more pay to win. The gold part was fine.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nice to know I'm not the only one

Deleted
    I bought Diablo III and its' expansion when they were each released, and have leveled almost every class to 70, with Wizard having been leveled to 70 three separate times. I used to adore the gameplay and explorative RPG action. I thought it was such an innovation for Blizzard to take hold of the reins of the market for buying gear from other players. Was it 'game-breaking'? Perhaps. In my opinion no, but I was sort of a casual. You won't find me on top of any ladders, but if there was one for sheer hours played, you might.

I think the excitement with playing died slowly once the Adventure Mode option became available with Reaper of Souls. Instead of playing through the game and leveling up and acquiring gear (even through the RMAH when you hit a lul in drops while leveling), you simply log on, grind the 5 quests per zone, do each zone, then log off and log back on to do the random quests again (or should I just call them world quests ....). The other option of course is Rifts and Greater Rifts, but those are even more randomly generated than the random quests.

We as gamers have always griped about why linear gameplay isn't fun, but after witnessing what happens as the reciprocal to linear, I can't find any motivation to even log on any more. Having a linear path of progression gives motivation to get to the next check point!

I always enjoyed gearing up, and when you have an alt that has a socketed weapon drop, and you grab a high end Ruby from your main to use for it, your damage skyrockets! It was so thrilling to me to blast bosses away with a few strikes, it almost felt like a cheat code. When drops weren't in your favor, you could swing over to the RMAH, using money or gold mind you, and play around with auctions.

I understand what all went into that system, and how Blizzard's design was not how the game ended up with direction, but personally, I loved where it was going.

On a tangent, do any of you feel any similarities between the current state of Diablo III's endgame and that of WoW Legion? I have stopped playing Legion out of boredom, in the exact same fashion and timeframe that Diablo III became boring, and in my opinion, for the same reasons.

Thoughts?
    Then you are ignorant and you like something that was shit.
    Or maybe you're just trying to get a reaction by defending something so obviously inferior and terrible. Hard to tell these days.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    You didn't even attempt to make some sort of relevant argument supporting your dumb click bait title.
    I am bored at work, and wanted to chat about video games. I have an opinion that I think is counter to the norm, so I wanted to discuss with anyone that was interested. My purpose here is not to convince or persuade you that you are wrong about something, relax. I'm here for friendly discourse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Then you are ignorant and you like something that was shit.
    Or maybe you're just trying to get a reaction by defending something so obviously inferior and terrible. Hard to tell these days.
    Umm, nope just bored at work looking to chat about video games

Apparently there are a lot of folks who vehemently hate the auction house system, and are triggered at just hearing it being brought up.

People complain about gear being soul bound and untradable now.The main reason the RMAH existed was to cut out the 3rd party sellers. D3 was very D2 like on release except for the unstable servers.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alahard View Post
    Still, the real money aspect did make in feel more pay to win. The gold part was fine.
    How would you feel if they announced that they wanted to re-implement ONLY the gold Auction House?

I thought it was neat to be able to spent $0.35 to buy an item, but I realize now that's very dangerous as it approaches the business model of the mobile game marketplace. I have no negative feelings towards the gold Auction House, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoria View Post
    People complain about gear being soul bound and untradable now.The main reason the RMAH existed was to cut out the 3rd party sellers. D3 was very D2 like on release except for the unstable servers.
    Fantastic perspective, thanks! People adore D2, did they not? D3 was repeating that model but without 3rd parties profiting off of Blizzard's game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Nice to know I'm not the only one
    high five!

Deleted
    bored at work looking to chat about video games
    triggered at just hearing it being brought up.
    Okay, so my second sentace was the right one. 1/10

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I played when Diablo III first came out, I have to load it up again and see what's changed.
    It's pretty great, especially with your first character doing the story. After a week though, I found it tedious, like Legion's WQs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I hated RMAH but Diablo 3 right now is so stale the game could use a little bit of income, maybe some vanity stuff to give devs some dollars do develop something new lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Okay, so my second sentace was the right one. 1/10
    Not in the sense that I am pretending to say something that will piss people off just to troll them.