Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No, reservations should be required for more than 8 people. Not serving parties or large groups is financial suicide, they are the most likely to spend more money on alcohol.
    Actually, it really is restaurant dependent and the scope of each specific restaurant.

A restaurant could easily survive without large parties if that is the nature, or theme, or clientele of said restaurant and who they want to cater too. I would say it would have to be a small restaurant that is reservation driven, so they could control this.

And terms of alcohol, it really doesn't matter, if someone is going to drink, it doesn't matter if its a large party or not. Further, the same could said that large groups drink less because you tend to have more families and as thus kids and more responsible parents driving those kids. That said, it's a complete bullshit statement, but then no more more or less of a bullshit statement than large groups drinking more.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    As the topic states, I think restaurants should not accept parties of more than 4 people. Nothing pisses me off more than when a group of 12 come into a restaurant. This means they often have to rearrange tables to accommodate them, and it causes everyone else to have to wait even more because they take up the tables space that 3 other small groups couldve had causing everyone else to have to wait longer.

Additionally, when large parties come in, it takes additional staff to serve them creating shittier service for other people (longer waits for drink refills if they ever do come to give you one, longer time to wait for dessert order, longer wait for the bill, and longer wait for receipt).

Large groups of people are also loud causing audible disturbances to everyone around them because they feel the need to shout from one end of the table to the other to talk to each other, and lastly they almost always want serparate checks (takes too much of the server's time) for everyone and rarely leave a good tip (which is why some restaurants demand a gratuity for parties of 8 or more (which should also be illegal because tips are voluntary and you arent allowed to charge different people different prices for the same thing. They are paying more for the same food as the people next to them just because they want to sit together)
    So because you have low tolerance towards other people, the entire world should shift to accomodate you and your frail sensibilities?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not go all in?

Ban restaurants, for starters, and the problem will cease to exist!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Ban restaurants, for starters, and the problem will cease to exist!
    But but... but... then how does food happen?? Ogawddd..... there will be even larger groups in the grocery stores! Help!

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Has Orlong ever broke character before? I've spent years wondering if it was a guise or someone trolling, most of his posts and threads seem too obvious but his persistency makes me question it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    But but... but... then how does food happen?? Ogawddd..... there will be even larger groups in the grocery stores! Help!
    Ban the grocery stores! Let people grow their own food - at least, until we ban that too!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    If its a party of 12 using 3 tables of 4 then the restaurant isn't losing any business, and the additional wait staff are the staff that would be used for each individual table regardless?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Obviously all large parties are just scum because you had a bad experience or something.

High quality stuff, Nixx. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    If its a party of 12 using 3 tables of 4 then the restaurant isn't losing any business, and the additional wait staff are the staff that would be used for each individual table regardless?
    Reservations have to be planned for by the management, and on the customer end nothing ever goes according to plan. They are either late, show up with more people, or show up with less which costs the restaurant money, since the service staff is either too overwhelmed to tend to every customer in the room, or ends up having to show up to work for nothing.

As a server, large parties (at my restaurant, 8 or more) can easily fuck up your day if things don't go right, and this isn't even counting the one person at almost any large party that is either the sour grape or the needy Nelly. They are often a hassle, it makes everything from your service through the kitchen take longer, and anything that goes wrong or delays you gets magnified by the number of people, but a good large party can really make your day too.

Not counting what can go wrong on the large party itself, your timing can get really screwed up:
    - the party isn't all there at the same time
    - you get sat another table too soon (or right before) because the hosts screwed up, aren't paying attention, or they "didn't have anywhere else to put a 5-top," the party didn't show up together, or whatever else
    - your partner is really busy (or is a useless clod to begin with)
    - the food for one half comes out at a different time than the other half due to kitchen backup, etc.
    - your other tables are especially needy, or some sort of unforeseen issue arises at one of those tables
    - the bar is backed up
    - the moon is in the wrong phase
    - they are mostly paying separately (dear god this can take forever, especially with cash)

My restaurant doesn't auto-grat (and we have a lot of foreigners from cultures that don't traditionally tip like Americans), so a large party that takes a long time, tips poorly, and has a negative effect on how well you serve the rest of your tables can really keep your tips for the day down.

Not that I think we should refuse large parties. If they call ahead and show up together and on time, it's generally fine from a timing perspective.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you ask me even 4 people seems like too many. All square tables should be cut diagonally so they only accommodate 3 people.

As the topic states, I think restaurants should not accept parties of more than 4 people. Nothing pisses me off more than when a group of 12 come into a restaurant. This means they often have to rearrange tables to accommodate them, and it causes everyone else to have to wait even more because they take up the tables space that 3 other small groups couldve had causing everyone else to have to wait longer.

Additionally, when large parties come in, it takes additional staff to serve them creating shittier service for other people (longer waits for drink refills if they ever do come to give you one, longer time to wait for dessert order, longer wait for the bill, and longer wait for receipt).

Large groups of people are also loud causing audible disturbances to everyone around them because they feel the need to shout from one end of the table to the other to talk to each other, and lastly they almost always want serparate checks (takes too much of the server's time) for everyone and rarely leave a good tip (which is why some restaurants demand a gratuity for parties of 8 or more (which should also be illegal because tips are voluntary and you arent allowed to charge different people different prices for the same thing. They are paying more for the same food as the people next to them just because they want to sit together)
    Somebody doesn't have friends and is jealous of big group of friends

Deleted
    So 12 friends show up at a restaurant, go in groups of four and sit at three tables next to each other. Now what? Are you gonna ask everyone in the restaurant if they know any of the others? Gonna kick them out if they talk to people at the next table?

Also, as someone who have had jobs in the restaurant business in the past, serving a group of 12 is usually as fast or faster than serving three tables of four. Any why would the restaurant say no? It's no more work for them, and they're ensured a portion of the days turnaround.

Maybe you should just not to go restaurants if you can't handle being around people. Or even better, open your own restaurant. You can call it "MAXIMUM 4 PEOPLE, NO TALKING, DON'T TALK TO THE SERVER BECAUSE YOU'LL TAKE UP OTHER CLIENTS TIME!"

Holy fuck,

Are you going to pay the x amount of money that group puts into the restaurant? This has to be the most retarded statement I've seen on a mmo in a while

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    So I can't go to a restaurant with my family? Sure nice thinking bud.
    You have a family of twelve? Not likely

Deleted
    Big groups bring in a ton of money so, yeah no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yup.
    In my example posted earlier, the waiter and waitress serving us each got a c-note for the couple of hours we were there. They earned it.
    And that also pisses off everyone else waiting for a table. There is absolutely NO reason to hog up tables for a couple hours. It takes at most an hour to order and eat your food. Its people like you that cause long waits for a table. If you want to talk, then go the hell outside and talk on the sidewalk or go to a bar or the house of someone in your party to talk

And that also pisses off everyone else waiting for a table. There is absolutely NO reason to hog up tables for a couple hours. It takes at most an hour to order and eat your food. Its people like you that cause long waits for a table. If you want to talk, then go the hell outside and talk on the sidewalk or go to a bar or the house of someone in your party to talk
    Aren't you getting tired of being the only person that agrees with you?

Deleted

Good restaurants have large tables specifically for that, at least in Europe.

In Ameristan tips are not voluntary, since there is no minimum wage for waiters. Or well, it's a joke.

Also: find more friends.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    You have a family of twelve? Not likely
    During my fathers generation, that was not that strange.
    If you include spouses, it really jumps up.