Thread: Jeff Kaplan

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    As the comment in the video a bit below.

Back when the game was made from nerds, for nerds.

But reality is, WoW isnt so bad, they just do some retarded choices to cater to everyone that really fucks up the game.

LFR, Multiple difficulties, Artifact Power, Legendaries and so on.

Its a new thing every expansion that should have been made differently but its still the same in its core.

Quests-->Leveling-->Dungeons-->Raid-->Unsub-->Wait for new raid patch-->Repeat-->Unsub-->New raid Patch-->New expansion, woo!

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes I do miss him on WoW, he quit before cata came out, and the game only went down from there (subscription wise).

Tigole was in huge part responsible for the designs on WoW vanilla/TBC/Wotlk, aka the nostalgia glory days

---

Basicly after he quit working on WoW, the dungeon finder came.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-02-17 at 01:55 PM.

Yes, a lot. However, I think he fits Overwatch a lot more, so I'm happy that he's there. I just really hope he doesn't leave Blizzard completely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I like how he lied his ass off there about the "1% Myth.", or dismisses it by showing numbers for entry level raid content and didn't actually give percentages. The truth of the matter is that people get caught up in how few people saw Naxx but never realize that most raiders never saw beyond Molten Core, most raiders never saw beyond Karazhan/ZA, most raiders never saw beyond the complete and total faceroll entry tier of WLK, same with Cata. It wasn't until LFR that raid participation skyrocketed, and again when SoO Flex was released. And the reason that raid participation and completion is so high today is that everything from LFR all the way up to Heroic is complete and total faceroll, with Mythic being the real challenge. And do you know how many guilds actually ever complete mythic raids? Yeah, it's still abysmally low. His design philosophy wasn't healthy for raiding.
    In 2005 wow had about 1.75 million subs in the US alone (roughly half of worldwide active subs, not a fact but I cba looking). We assume that about half that would be max level and capable of raiding since Q4 2004 release date. 875,000 players.

I'd say it was probably a lot less than that personally and about 500,000 but whatever, even so 1% of that player base is 8,750 players.

Add up the numbers he gave for one night in the US it comes to 33,500 unique players raiding, that's nearly 7% of the US player base raiding in one evening. He goes on to say that those instances are usually unique, which I find hard to believe, so lets dial it back a bit and say a different 4% raid on a different day every day.

28% of the player base raiding every week, which is a bit different to 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post
    In 2005 wow had about 1.75 million subs in the US alone (roughly half of worldwide active subs, not a fact but I cba looking). We assume that about half that would be max level and capable of raiding since Q4 2004 release date. 875,000 players.

I'd say it was probably a lot less than that personally and about 500,000 but whatever, even so 1% of that player base is 8,750 players.

Add up the numbers he gave for one night in the US it comes to 33,500 unique players raiding, that's nearly 7% of the US player base raiding in one evening. He goes on to say that those instances are usually unique, which I find hard to believe, so lets dial it back a bit and say a different 4% raid on a different day every day.

28% of the player base raiding every week, which is a bit different to 1%.
    Did you know that 1 in 12 statistics are completely made up on the spot?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Did you know that 1 in 12 statistics are completely made up on the spot?
    No shit. /10char

Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post
    No shit. /10char
    No shit?

Wait. There's 8 characters in this phrase.

...if we add 8 to the number of WoW expansions we've had, that's 15. We need to go deeper.

Raid lock-outs reset every week on Tuesday.

There are 7 days in a week. 15 - 7 = 9.

9. I mentioned 1 in 12 statistics were farcical, so 12 - 1 = 11.

Jeff Kaplan did 9/11.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2017-02-17 at 02:42 PM.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    I wish that mentality was still around
    Exactly, WoW stopped growing after he quit, 3.3 stablized at 12 million subs.

Also if you see the last slide of the video, he talks about a smaller raid, with a picture of Deadwind pass/Karazhan! and that's 2005 more then a year before TBC
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-02-17 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Exactly, WoW stopped growing after he quit, 3.3 stablized at 12 million subs.
    Yep, and lord knows if he stayed WoW would have just kept gaining subscribers infinitely until the end of time. Market saturation is a myth, after all!

10+ Year Old Account
    No shit?

Wait. There's 8 letters in this phrase.

...if we add 8 to the number of WoW expansions we've had, that's 15. We need to go deeper.

Raid lock-outs reset every week on Tuesday.

There are 7 days in a week. 15 - 7 = 9.

9. I mentioned 1 in 12 statistics were farcical, so 12 - 1 = 11.

Jeff Kaplan did 9/11.
    Your maths seems flawed friend, maybe you should spend sometime writing it down.

Deleted
    Well you're not getting him back!

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yep, and lord knows if he stayed WoW would have just kept gaining subscribers infinitely until the end of time. Market saturation is a myth, after all!
    No, but design philosophy changed drasticly in late Wotlk/early Cata.

There's a reason a lot of people think Ulduar was a better raid then ICC, I think it was the last raid Tigole was actively involved in.

If Jeff was still on WoW i'd still be playing

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    You cant seriously be judging someone on a comment that happened over 10 years ago? I mean realistically come on now.
    No, but since my glaringly obvious sarcasm wasn't clear I'll happily judge this community for believing the guy was any better for the game than its current developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Definitely.

He knows what an MMO is about compared to the instant gratification, teleportation menus, content avoiding players that write posts that World of Warcraft should become more and more a solo game.
    Times change. Many people who grew up during the Everquest/DAoC/classic & BC WoW simply don't have the time to play like they used to. Besides, I never agreed with Kaplan's stance on hybrid taxes vs. pures.

No, but design philosophy changed drasticly in late Wotlk/early Cata.

There's a reason a lot of people think Ulduar was a better raid then ICC, I think it was the last raid Tigole was actively involved in.
    Change which happened to keep WoW alive, not to kill it off. But since that option isn't even comprehensible to you, you falsely associate post-WotLK's changes with the "downfall of the game;" a patently trite opinion which doesn't hold up for a second of critical thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    You cant seriously be judging someone on a comment that happened over 10 years ago? I mean realistically come on now.
    Yeah too bad that didn't work for Trump when he bragged about groping women over ten years ago.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Change which happened to keep WoW alive, not to kill it off. But since that option isn't even comprehensible to you, you falsely associate post-WotLK's changes with the "downfall of the game;" a patently trite opinion which doesn't hold up for a second of critical thinking.
    The game is still around 8 years later, with approximately anywhere between 3-6 mill subs (we dont have numbers), so it was far from "downfall of the game", stats don't lie that it was a 3+ year non stop decline, eventually losing 25% subs (3 million).

A true downfall of the game would have meant like 50% decline within 2 years, but it took instead 5 years for that to happen due to Pandaria/WoD launch growths, and those "10 million" peaks were very short.

If legion really was growing like crazy again, they wouldn't have to cryptically hide their annual report text so much.

If they claim 20% growth from Q4 2015 to Q4 2016 that's maybe a 7 million peak at most.

Still I am never claiming the game is dead, however there are just too many low pop servers imo.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-02-17 at 03:02 PM.

The game is still around 8 years later, with approximately anywhere between 3-6 mill subs (we dont have numbers), so it was far from "downfall of the game", stats don't lie that it was a 3+ year non stop decline, eventually losing 25% subs (3 million).
    Stats which you're still falsely associating with WoW's design changes. What it's really showing is that the gaming market in general moved away from MMO's. Huge time sink games aren't nearly as popular with today's gamers and Blizzard made changes to post-WotLK WoW which adapted to these changes. Any arguments made in favor of pre-WotLK design seem to operate under the false presumption that gamers in 2017 would be just as likely to love "classic WoW" as gamers were from 2004-2009. WoW hit market saturation in WotLK and the declines afterward are more likely to be attributed to people simply moving on with their lives than anything Blizzard did to the game.*

*edit: GC mentioned this in a blog recently here.

A true downfall of the game would have meant like 50% decline within 2 years, but it took instead 5 years for that to happen due to Pandaria/WoD launch growths, and those "10 million" peaks were very short.

If legion really was growing like crazy again, they wouldn't have to cryptically hide their annual report text so much.
    They aren't "hiding" anything. Subscriber levels were important for investors when Blizzard had only WoW to sustain itself. Now they have multiple streams of income from various games as well as WoW tokens so the exact figures aren't nearly as important. (But they do make fancy little bullet points for your shitty "game design ruined WoW" argument, don't they?)

Moreover, I'm almost positive Blizzard's current expansion business model is intentionally designed around the expectation of large boosts in subscriber levels around the launch of new expansions and smaller bumps for content patches. The game is literally being designed around people unsubbing and resubbing for content.

If they claim 20% growth from Q4 2015 to Q4 2016 that's maybe a 7 million peak at most.
    Who cares?

Still I am never claiming the game is dead, however there are just too many low pop servers imo.
    I'll at least agree with you here. Eventually Blizzard will have to own up to dead servers.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2017-02-17 at 03:26 PM.