Poll: How many Bosses per Raid do you like?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Your poll isn't differentiated enough. 12+ is too much of an open ended choice.

My favorite size is 10-12 bosses. Its long enough to allow meaningful progression yet not that long that you can't clear it in one 3h session during farm. Most of my favourite raids had tiose numbers of bosses (Ulduar, ICC, ToT).

Also, having a choice is preferred, like in Ulduar (lesser in ICC) and NH. EN was too short. Naxx had choice, but was too long. It was tiresome.

3 bosses is an absolute joke of a raid and is only acceptable as a filler like ToV.

6-8 is acceptable if there is two raids of that length in the tier (think BWD / BoT / Throne in early Cata).

10+ Year Old Account
    2 raids of 4-6 bosses > 1 raid with 8-12 bosses

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I'm having a hard time memorizing all boss mechanix of NHold to be able to pug it.
    How can you guys memorize 12 bosses and do it all in one go? Thats insane.

This is only a problem in the beginning of the raid launch, i'm just late to the party.
    Well, the games built in guide helps break it down for each persons role.

Part of it for me is focusing on what I, as a melee DPS, have to do. A general understanding of the other roles can help (knowing when popping a personal defensive cooldown to help healers for example) but in general, I focus on my own little slice of the pie. Once you have done the bosses a couple of times, it just comes naturally to understand the bosses.

PS: Funny story, some people still fail on understanding mechanics even after killing a boss multiple times. We actually had a DK that thought you were protected from the Arcanetic Ring on Elisonde if you stood inside the slow sphere... we have killed her several times on both Normal and Heroic and somehow just last night he found out he was wrong. The other 19 of us had a good laugh about it at his expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Effenz View Post
    Wet noodle yes, but people are 100% retarded in lfr so wipes are still possible. Ive joined a 2 determination skorpyron before.
    Never said you couldn't wipe. You can easily understand and overcome all the mechanics within max 5 wipes on most bosses, even with the most retarded groups. Learning mechanics before hand is a waste of time because no matter how retarded the group, the boss will die eventually. Might as well learn the fight as you go and wipe a couple of times. It's part of the fun.
    Prepping is something mythic guilds do because it might take them 200 pulls and they only have X hours per night and they want to ensure progress as fast as possible.

15+ Year Old Account
    6-8.

Less feels more like a dungeon than an epic raid, more feels like vanilla Blackrock Depths.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

I think all sizes of raids are good but I id prefer a flowing system

single questline that you can take from 0-110 without heirlooms.

each zone should have a small dungeon of 2-3 bosses that leads to a smaller raid of 3-4 bosses. for every 2 or 3 small raids there is one large sprawling dungeon that leads into a large raid

example would be

elywynn having a dungeon to deal with a boss murlock and hogger
    westfall maintains deadmines
    redridge gets a small dungeon to take the place of its old elite quests
    duskwood gets something to deal with the hauntings

have the storylines of those run together and deal with it in a smaller raid of even just 1 to 2 bosses maybe like a ghost pirate arrrg but then that raid could lead to a larger raid later on for this example have the pirate mention something about black rock depths and when you get to that section of black rock depths it would talk about ragnaros .... just having everything flow into everything would be nice for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I pug on LFG Normal mode every week and is a ruthless world.
    As a Tank if i don't know the tactics is an instant kick. I must know every single Tank mechanics and switches on debuffs, mob placement etc.

Last phase of Odyn for example is an instant wipe if i don't know what i am doing.
    True. Tanks do need a basic understanding of the fight or you can be the sole reason for a wipe and then 19 players hate you. That said, there's not that many bosses with that many mechanics for a tank to remember, bar a swap here or a defensive there or pick up this add when it comes (Haven't played NH and didn't tank ToV so not speaking for those). Nothing you couldn't memorize after a quick glance at the dungeon journal. Tanking LFR is certainly not complex enough to limit a raid to 3 bosses. You'd finish the tier in an hour.

Ulduar and throne of thunder, the best raids, both had 12+ so I'm going with that

Honestly, I think a variation works best. For example, I like the legion layout for the first tier. (looking at current raids as the 1st Legion tier) EN - 7, ToV - 3, NH - 10. All can be cleared in one night and we have a variety of location.

I am not saying it has to stick to 7, 3, 10, but mixing it up feels better to me. Maybe save the big long monster dungeon for the end of expansion raid.

I think something close to 7 or 8 is good enough. It's better to release 2 raids than a single huge one.

It depends on the raid. If its filler then around 3-5 bosses would be fine (ToC, BoT, ToES, ToV). If its a bigger lore raid with its own tier (Kara, Ulduar, ICC, ToT, SoO), then I'd like to see at least 11 bosses. More is always fine. I also didn't mind lair raids with just 1 big ass boss.

I've chose 6-8.
    - Enough so that bosses don't have to be ridiculously tuned like ToV to stop the best guilds in the world from clearing in 1 sitting
    - Tier doesn't last forever. Finish faster = less likely to burn out. You can go ham for the whole thing and enjoy it
    - Less mechanics to memorize / less punishing for guilds that prefer to play the game and learn as they go rather than doing homework
    - Too few bosses and you might not kill one for a while and not feel like you're making any real progress

Quote Originally Posted by GranitXhaka29 View Post
    Your poll options suck.

10-12 is nice.
    LOL wanted to say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyggalag View Post
    Never said you couldn't wipe. You can easily understand and overcome all the mechanics within max 5 wipes on most bosses, even with the most retarded groups. Learning mechanics before hand is a waste of time because no matter how retarded the group, the boss will die eventually. Might as well learn the fight as you go and wipe a couple of times. It's part of the fun.
    Prepping is something mythic guilds do because it might take them 200 pulls and they only have X hours per night and they want to ensure progress as fast as possible.
    you're the first person to unironically say they enjoy wiping in lfr, so im going to assume you're trolling.

7+ Year Old Account
    Your poll options suck.

10-12 is nice.
    Well it ain't rocket science do you like 12, or 10 bosses more?

"Terrible poll" fixed.

6-8 best imo
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    Well it ain't rocket science do you like 12, or 10 bosses more?

"Terrible poll" fixed.

6-8 best imo
    The old poll options was 4, 5, or 6+.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    I like 10 bosses.
    I feel it's a good mix of mechanics while also the *potential* to offer diverse enough loot options to make the run worthwhile.
    The open feeling of it, where choice on next boss is there, is also nice.
    More than 10 is also okay, so long as the skip mechanics are present (get 4 shards, turn in and skip "entry" bosses is the best thing ever).

3 bosses is kind of a waste, like ToV not offering really much loot that was worthwhile, and EN at 7 was okay, but still felt a bit short (that was it's intent, an entry level raid to Legion after all).

7+ Year Old Account
    The old poll options was 4, 5, or 6+.
    Ah! I see... didn't know you could change poll options
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Effenz View Post
    you're the first person to unironically say they enjoy wiping in lfr, so im going to assume you're trolling.
    I personally don't enjoy wiping in LFR, but can only assume that the LFR target audience does, otherwise, why else would they do it? Do they enjoy 1 shotting every boss? Where's the challenge? Where's the sense of achievement when you finally get that kill that x wipes ago looked short of impossible? Also, my comment was strictly aimed at LFR but raiding in general (mythic from my PoV).

Quote Originally Posted by Jyggalag View Post
    I personally don't enjoy wiping in LFR, but can only assume that the LFR target audience does, otherwise, why else would they do it? Do they enjoy 1 shotting every boss? Where's the challenge? Where's the sense of achievement when you finally get that kill that x wipes ago looked short of impossible? Also, my comment was strictly aimed at LFR but raiding in general (mythic from my PoV).
    Well, they do LFR for the free gear. That's why everyone does it. Look at WoD LFR, which gave you gear appropriate for lfr difficulty. People cried bloody murder.
    And LFR raids barely learn. Join a lfr group and see how botanist trash goes. 90% of the time it's a dumpster fire.
    They don't do it for the challenge either, bc lfr has been tuned to have as little failure rate as possible, apart from 1 shot mechanics (only seen 2 so far in legion lfr), everything does inconsequential damage and can be summarily ignored.