Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you go about handling friends who wants to play comp with you?

I'm at 3200 at the moment and I'm trying to figure out how to tell friends I don't really want to play with them without making me sound like an asshole because they're too low rated.

How can I go about doing that? I've played with them in the past but my rating just kept going down when I was playing with them, we never won and they blamed bad teams all the time instead of seeing their own part in it.

just say that the quality of the team at the grouped level is shit compared to ur level and you dont wanna keep losing because of the shit teams you guys get put with
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Just tell them the truth. You are willing to play QP and Arcarde with them, because it´s for fun. And that there is a gab between you skilllevels that can´t be ignored.

Or you could be pal and play with them anyways, because you can rank up again with your team / soloQ.

If you are on console you could also make a "smurf" account to play at his rating, or just to not loose you high-main-rating.

To answer you question in the topic:
    I just tell them that i don´t want to/can´t play comp with them, because of the true reasons.

Just be honest? Why do people always make a fuss about this sort of thing?

Get out of 500 range ranking from them for a convenient excuse. Or if you can't do that, there's probably a smaller gap in your two skill levels than you might think.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unfriend them
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Political answer: 1) Guys i can't play with you because we will be gruoped with shitty people and we are going to lose (and blame Blizzard etc etc);
    2) Guys i can't play with you becasue with my rating we will only find people that will crush us because the matchmaking system is broken (and blame Blizzard etc etc);

Polite answer: 1) Guys i wuold like to play with you but i don't want to lose ranking for this season, maybe for the next one we cuold start toghter as a team and climb up;

Direct answer: 1) Sorry guys but you are at lower Elo and i don't want to lose ranking because we will be gruoped with probably noobs, nothing personal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    we never won and they blamed bad teams all the time instead of seeing their own part in it.
    I can relate to that one. Also playing with a friend or two that do that exact same thing. Every single loss is blamed on the "randoms" in the team. Every. Single. Loss. And every win is because we are so amazing and best at everything.

Friends???????? that wants to play with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    Polite answer: 1) Guys i wuold like to play with you but i don't want to lose ranking for this season, maybe for the next one we cuold start toghter as a team and climb up;
    Tried that last season, didn't work out so well. I was placed at like 2700 something and they were placed in low silver to low gold, couldn't play with them due to the rating differences and they whined at me to play their accounts to get them up in rating so they could play with me... Did it for the low silver ones but they ended up back around the same rating they started at once they played again.

I have 2 sets of "friends" For my friends who play like meh, as in we started playing other games together I have 1 account. Then I have a second for the good ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm usually the bad one playing with better friends sooooo....

But this post has some good ideas. You can be honest about the situation without being insulting. And if you're still willing to play with your friends in QM or Arcade, they'll probably be happy with that. When I group with my friends it's because I want to play with them; I don't care where we do it.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Unfriend them
    HAHA. This made me laugh hard. No one should ever be friends with bad Overwatch players. Let this be the new law!

@OP I would buy a second account to play with them if you're worried about your rating. That way you both win. Or play with them and help them get better.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

You should probably evaluate why a fucking number is more important then hanging out with your buds.

I'd probably start with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    You should probably evaluate why a fucking number is more important then hanging out with your buds.

This.

A friend of mine with whom I've played WoW, LoL, HotS and other games with, for literally YEARS, would not play OW with me because I was new and he could not stand it. I am not talking about competitive. He wouldn't play QM with me.

I fully respect his view that he cannot be in the same team with really bad at the game newbies, and I'm cool with it, because simply it does not make the game enjoyable for him to not have a good team to play with, but... well. It wasn't pretty.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They can't play with me because of their shit rating.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Why not just play some QM then? Honestly asking a way higher friend to do ranked with you is pretty silly and you shouldn't do comp if you just wanna have a good time with buds.

The easiest way is to just get the 1k points ahead of your friend though.

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Why not just play some QM then? Honestly asking a way higher friend to do ranked with you is pretty silly and you shouldn't do comp if you just wanna have a good time with buds.

The easiest way is to just get the 1k points ahead of your friend though.
    If you are within that 1000 points there is no "way higher". Also this factors in to people you can get matched with anyways.

I am the "way higher" friend in this situation all the time since I have always been great at shooters.

I used to have a hard on for the number/symbol by my name when I was young and an idiot. Now I'm a bit older (still an idiot) but realized I'd rather throw a bit more games as long as I can chill and have a good time with friends.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    This.

A friend of mine with whom I've played WoW, LoL, HotS and other games with, for literally YEARS, would not play OW with me because I was new and he could not stand it. I am not talking about competitive. He wouldn't play QM with me.

I fully respect his view that he cannot be in the same team with really bad at the game newbies, and I'm cool with it, because simply it does not make the game enjoyable for him to not have a good team to play with, but... well. It wasn't pretty.
    Plenty of people to have fun with that wont be debbie downers like your "friend" seems to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    I can relate to that one. Also playing with a friend or two that do that exact same thing. Every single loss is blamed on the "randoms" in the team. Every. Single. Loss. And every win is because we are so amazing and best at everything.
    I have one friend who does this, I call him on his shit all the time lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Just be honest? Why do people always make a fuss about this sort of thing?
    He wants to brag about how much better he is than his friends. This thread has nothing to do with actually coping with friends who want to play comp with him.

That's working on the assumption that his friends are having fun while losing still.