Question 3 friends, same matches, 1000 +rating difference...??

so as title says i dont get this game.. so close to uninstalling because i see no progress
    last season i ended like 2.6 or something.. casual gaming, playing with all kind of ranked friends...

new season started, 2 of my friends and i played 10 games... 7-3 win / loss.. 1st friend got 1.3 , i got 2.2 last friend got 2.6
    [our friend is new guy in ow so this was superb surprise .. how can we play with him now ? ]

so all right.. laughed and played on [ except our friend cannot play with us now anymore ] ...
    with few matches i climbed 2.4 and this 2nd friend was around 2.6 [ he lost few games here and there like i was.. overall we played like 7-8 matches without each other during past days ]

last night we had some nice spree and won 7-8 games... now, here the catch: he is now 3.326 and i am 2.550.. so we played same matches and he went on to get almost +700 points while i netted 250 ??? this does not make any common sense .. because of him we played higher rating that my personal isand yet i get 20-30 points per win and he get 70-90 ? wtf is that shit ? whats the point to even try when game is like this ?
    oh and we finally lost 1 game... i lost 60 points while he lost 22 ??

here we are now, my friend and i sitting on almost 700+ points difference while playing literally same amount of matches together...
    i actually gave up since trolling it this game is beyond 9000.... i even droped like 20 min ago on 2.350 while he remained on 3.100 [ again SAME MATCHES ] and soon we prolly wont be able to play together ... how is that shit possible with that rating ?

Here's the explanation of the MMR rating as it would seem to apply to this situation:

So then why do points for losses and wins seem so random? Well, the amount of MMR (and SR) you go up or down isn't simply a matter of whether you won or lost, and what was your predicted chance of winning. There's a couple of other things at work. One is the matchmaker's confidence in what your MMR should be. Play a lot of games, it gets more certain. Don't play Overwatch for a while, it gets less certain. You go on a large win or loss streak, it gets less certain. The more certain the matchmaker is about your MMR, the less your MMR will change in either direction based on a win or loss.

As a minor factor, we also do evaluate how well you played the heroes you used in a match. The comparison is largely based on historical data of people playing a specific hero (not medals, not pure damage done), and we've done a lot of work to this system based on the community's feedback. In fact, I've seen some people indicate that they don't think we're doing this anymore. We still are. While it's a minor factor compared to wins/losses (The best way to increase your SR is still to play together and win as a team!), doing so does help us determine your skill more accurately and faster.
    (emphasis mine)

So I guess the question would be: Do you ONLY play (competitive) games together? If not, this seems like your answer. It's more sure about some members of your team than others.

The explanation was in October so it may have changed again since then.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

simple answer.. stop sucking...

even if you won, your friend obviously contributed a lot more to each one of those games

10+ Year Old Account
    It ranks based on more than match result. Myself, my spouse, and a friend played all ten of our placement games together and we placed across three ranks (not 1000 apart but the biggest gap was 700 which is still pretty large).

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Your friend is simply performing better at whatever hero s/he's playing, than you are performing on whatever hero you're playing.

Deleted
    You also need to take previous season's results into account, that's the biggest factor the MMR system has as to where it thinks you should be after the placement matches. If you only played the 10 placement matches together, but had different ending rankings in the previous season, then you're obviously going to be placed differently.

I'm fairly confident because I didn't play at all during Season 2 my MMR is screwed for life. During Season 3 placement I went 6-3-1 and career bested every stat but was placed at 1234. Season 1 I was placed at what would have been 2k. This season I did about the same in my placement matches and was placed sub 900. I don't have time to play a ton of games to make the MMR more confident.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taalyn View Post
    I'm fairly confident because I didn't play at all during Season 2 my MMR is screwed for life. During Season 3 placement I went 6-3-1 and career bested every stat but was placed at 1234. Season 1 I was placed at what would have been 2k. This season I did about the same in my placement matches and was placed sub 900. I don't have time to play a ton of games to make the MMR more confident.
    Most if not everyone is placed slightly below what they finished last season at. This gives you room to climb instead of instantly dropping. Also people were placed a *lot* higher than intended in Season 2. Season 3 corrected this so you're probably seeing the fallout of that change. I know my jaw dropped when I placed middle of pack (S3) after doing well in Season 2. You can easily correct it by playing well and climbing the ranks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

You are forever enslaved to your previous seasons SR, which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't give you the illusion of placements. They should just thrust you right back into the regular season if they're not going to wipe season MMR.

Case in point: Due to previous seasons my main account is stuck in silver. I get the wonderful experience of reaching just over 1800 and then get put on a losing streak back to 1700, then back to 1800, and back to 1700, its quite frustrating.

I bought a second account just to see what I would place with only my current skill and 25 levels of playtime taken into affect. Placed high gold and moved easily into plat...

System is wonky and needs.. something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    You are forever enslaved to your previous seasons SR, which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't give you the illusion of placements. They should just thrust you right back into the regular season if they're not going to wipe season MMR.

Case in point: Due to previous seasons my main account is stuck in silver. I get the wonderful experience of reaching just over 1800 and then get put on a losing streak back to 1700, then back to 1800, and back to 1700, its quite frustrating.

I bought a second account just to see what I would place with only my current skill and 25 levels of playtime taken into affect. Placed high gold and moved easily into plat...

System is wonky and needs.. something.
    Or just maybe your proper rank is around 1750, and that is why you keep waffling around that point.

I got placed at 1830ish this season and lost my first couple matches. I've since climbed back into Gold, though I haven't had time to play as much as I'd like so I'm still not back to where I should be. If you aren't, then you're probably at the right spot.

You don't get "stuck" in any rank. If you're playing well above your current rank, you'll win way more for victories than you lose for losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Or just maybe your proper rank is around 1750, and that is why you keep waffling around that point.

I got placed at 1830ish this season and lost my first couple matches. I've since climbed back into Gold, though I haven't had time to play as much as I'd like so I'm still not back to where I should be. If you aren't, then you're probably at the right spot.

You don't get "stuck" in any rank. If you're playing well above your current rank, you'll win way more for victories than you lose for losses.
    You got lucky, I've had nothing but trolls/leavers and horribad team makeups almost every game since placements, you can't carry 5 other people unless you're willing to sell your soul to the carry characters, and I'm not.

10+ Year Old Account
    You got lucky, I've had nothing but trolls/leavers and horribad team makeups almost every game since placements, you can't carry 5 other people unless you're willing to sell your soul to the carry characters, and I'm not.
    I didn't get "lucky". Everyone else at your rank is dealing with the same things you are. In fact, assuming that you play decently every match, your team is less likely to have a problem player. Because on your team, you know you aren't a problem, so that only leaves 5 potential problem players. Your enemy team has 6 potential problem players.

What you're describing is a statistical outlier. YOU got UNlucky, if your account is accurate. It isn't what most people at your rank are experiencing, because averages don't work like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I didn't get "lucky". Everyone else at your rank is dealing with the same things you are. In fact, assuming that you play decently every match, your team is less likely to have a problem player. Because on your team, you know you aren't a problem, so that only leaves 5 potential problem players. Your enemy team has 6 potential problem players.

What you're describing is a statistical outlier. YOU got UNlucky, if your account is accurate. It isn't what most people at your rank are experiencing, because averages don't work like that.
    One player does not make a match, and as I said, I could sell my soul to a "carry" character (soldier, zarya, etc) but I'm not willing to do that, I've just shifted comp to my alt account cause climbing in plat is much more enjoyable than silver.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhrc View Post
    so as title says i dont get this game.. so close to uninstalling because i see no progress
    last season i ended like 2.6 or something.. casual gaming, playing with all kind of ranked friends...

new season started, 2 of my friends and i played 10 games... 7-3 win / loss.. 1st friend got 1.3 , i got 2.2 last friend got 2.6
    [our friend is new guy in ow so this was superb surprise .. how can we play with him now ? ]

so all right.. laughed and played on [ except our friend cannot play with us now anymore ] ...
    with few matches i climbed 2.4 and this 2nd friend was around 2.6 [ he lost few games here and there like i was.. overall we played like 7-8 matches without each other during past days ]

last night we had some nice spree and won 7-8 games... now, here the catch: he is now 3.326 and i am 2.550.. so we played same matches and he went on to get almost +700 points while i netted 250 ??? this does not make any common sense .. because of him we played higher rating that my personal isand yet i get 20-30 points per win and he get 70-90 ? wtf is that shit ? whats the point to even try when game is like this ?
    oh and we finally lost 1 game... i lost 60 points while he lost 22 ??

here we are now, my friend and i sitting on almost 700+ points difference while playing literally same amount of matches together...
    i actually gave up since trolling it this game is beyond 9000.... i even droped like 20 min ago on 2.350 while he remained on 3.100 [ again SAME MATCHES ] and soon we prolly wont be able to play together ... how is that shit possible with that rating ?
    You are summoning up all the reasons i quit Overwatch

One player does not make a match, and as I said, I could sell my soul to a "carry" character (soldier, zarya, etc) but I'm not willing to do that, I've just shifted comp to my alt account cause climbing in plat is much more enjoyable than silver.
    "I refuse to play a character that can brute force win the rank i'm at, why am I stuck at this rank?"

Sounds like a personal problem.

I'm having fun practicing support heroes while stuck in high gold, so that when I actually make the push I won't feel like i'm not contributing due to bad play. When I wish to return to diamond i'll just go back to Pharah or Zarya for a while. Each bracket has a character or two that you'd easily make a huge difference in your win rate if you play them right. If you have decent sniping skills Widow wrecks the silver->platinum bracket just because a lot of people don't know they should be constantly moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Drish View Post
    "I refuse to play a character that can brute force win the rank i'm at, why am I stuck at this rank?"

Sounds like a personal problem.

I'm having fun practicing support heroes while stuck in high gold, so that when I actually make the push I won't feel like i'm not contributing due to bad play. When I wish to return to diamond i'll just go back to Pharah or Zarya for a while. Each bracket has a character or two that you'd easily make a huge difference in your win rate if you play them right. If you have decent sniping skills Widow wrecks the silver->platinum bracket just because a lot of people don't know they should be constantly moving.
    It's more like, I don't want to play a character I don't enjoy, is still a game after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game considers your one friend better than you and is giving him more points to raise him to where the game thinks he should be. Whether or not it's true is debatable, but the game is always trying to keep you close to the level where it thinks you should be.

It's more like, I don't want to play a character I don't enjoy, is still a game after all.
    Any of the attackers, any of the defenders, roadhog, and zen can all single-handedly lead your team. The rest rely on what you're working with and can only influence the match. You don't play half the characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Drish View Post
    Any of the attackers, any of the defenders, roadhog, and zen can all single-handedly lead your team. The rest rely on what you're working with and can only influence the match. You don't play half the characters?
    I despise Soldier and Pharah, the only 2 attackers that can really "carry" a game. Sombra is still a joke, Reaper gets murdered by like... everyone, Mcree is too reliant on Headshots to carry (ana out dps's him prenerf unless he's getting headshots, and I'm not a headshot machine), and while tracer and genji are good, unless you are "god" on them you're not carrying anyone. Saying defense can carry is a joke unless you're a "god" hanzo or widow and at that point you probably wouldn't be in these ranks. I generally don't tank cause I hate the way roadhog plays and Rein is just a boring shield bot. And I'll play sym on def on occasion but the rest of the support just ain't my cup of tea. I could fire up zarya or soldier and get out of silver, I've almost done but I hate myself for playing something I despise just for a few SR, so no, I'll just play whatever character fits my fancy on my alt account in Plat and climb because the teamplay actually works there.

Junkrat and Mei can wreck people that aren't careful around them and you're just outright dismissing them?

A good reaper will sneak up and ambush characters to sway the balance, and then jump in on the team fight.

Sombra admittedly is hard to play, but played well shes a a wonderful disruptor/mosquito.

As I said for hanzo and widow, if you're in silver chances are people are standing still to aim.

Mcree has a very powerful short game you appear to be glossing over.

I never said carrying was easy, but its possible on all of the characters listed earlier. You'll get unlucky teams you'll get unlucky opponent teams, but if you persist you'll land where you're supposed to. Finding a like-minded friend will also help bring the odds up that you have less bad teammates. If your latency isn't awful when connected to them the asian servers are more team-comp minded.