Considering how much of a difference it made for McManus, I'm surprised more teams don't bring in vet kickers to help out younger ones that are struggling with accuracy. I know some of them wouldn't want to help someone that would push them out of the league, but it worked out fine for Connor Barth. Only 46 of the 53 guys on the roster can dress for game day anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Sooooooo, apparently the Competition Comittee is contemplating reducing the Overtime period in pre-season and regular season to 10 min instead of 15 min. Post season would stay 15 min.

Cause those 5 min less will really do anything. And having 2 different measures for OT won't be really confusing. Uh-huh.

Have to wonder what the hell those guys are smoking at times. What's even the purpose here?
    Probably have spent too much time in Colorado.

Since this is the NFL rules committee, nothing dumb they come up with would surprise me. Only 2 good rules recently they have changes were chop-blocks becoming a penalty and moving back the extra point. Completely removing OT in pre-season would be the way to go, but reducing it is a good start. Makes no sense at all to have different OT rules in the regular and post seasons outside of playoff games not being able to end in a tie though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayaq View Post
    They believe a team is disadvantaged if they have to play a full 15-minute overtime and have a Thursday night game coming up the next week. How often does that happen though? It seems like a waste of time to change tbh.
    Yeah, cause chopping a whole 5 min off overtime is really going to do much. What difference would that make in actual time? 15 min, 20 min? At best. Seems completely pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Since this is the NFL rules committee, nothing dumb they come up with would surprise me. Only 2 good rules recently they have changes were chop-blocks becoming a penalty and moving back the extra point. Completely removing OT in pre-season would be the way to go, but reducing it is a good start. Makes no sense at all to have different OT rules in the regular and post seasons outside of playoff games not being able to end in a tie though.
    If you are the competition committee don;t you give the league a leg up and eliminate overtime from pre-season entirely? No one wants to see overtime in pre-season, especially not in week 4. That would definitely be put on my list of good changes they made. (I also think the upcoming ban on jumping over the line to block kicks is a good one, but that was proposed by the NFLPA, not the competition committee at first)

ALSO, if you are the competition committee and you are so concerned about those poor guys having to play 20 min longer, then here's a good idea to dramatically shorten OT: No commercials anymore. There I just saved you enough time to send everyone home on time AND make viewers happy. Win/win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cowboys resigned Kellen Moore. So we still have a backup at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't think they even had OT in the pre-season, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I didn't think they even had OT in the pre-season, why bother?
    I think it's sorta an unwritten rule amongst the teams that you don't try to tie it up late in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayaq View Post
    I think it's sorta an unwritten rule amongst the teams that you don't try to tie it up late in the game.
    This is what I usually see, nobody playing for a tie, they're always going for the score instead of the tying kick. Hopefully coaches can continue to circumvent this nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Cowboys resigned Kellen Moore. So we still have a backup at least.
    They're still holding Tony Romo hostage aren't they?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thought you would be interested in this news that ESPN wants us all to know #tebowwatch #teamtebow #sub500ops

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what I usually see, nobody playing for a tie, they're always going for the score instead of the tying kick. Hopefully coaches can continue to circumvent this nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

They're still holding Tony Romo hostage aren't they?
    Yeah, but I guess everyone still assumes he won't be there at the start of the season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Josh McCown is going to be the Jets QB it looks like as they have signed him. Jay Cutler's visit has been canceled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Josh McCown is going to be the Jets QB it looks like as they have signed him. Jay Cutler's visit has been canceled.
    Jets officially tanking the season. They were always gonna be bad, now they're gonna be "Josh McCown bad".

10+ Year Old Account
    Jets officially tanking the season. They were always gonna be bad, now they're gonna be "Josh McCown bad".
    Yep, they are just blatantly already throwing their hat in the ring and saying "we'll suck and we'll get the no. 1 overall pick in 2018 and take a QB and rebuild" just like the Browns did last year (except I'm not sure there's a QB the Browns actually want to take).

I suspect the Jets will have some competition though. I started ticking of teams with big question marks and it's an awful lot of them, but Jets are definitely the team to beat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does it feel like the same teams year in and year out struggle to find a good franchise quarterback? Granted, most of the ones around right now are older, so they're already established, but you still have young ones like Wilson and Luck. It seems like every year, the same damn teams are like "well, we'll grab this shitty backup from free agency, maybe he'll work out, even though we know he won't".

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does it feel like the same teams year in and year out struggle to find a good franchise quarterback? Granted, most of the ones around right now are older, so they're already established, but you still have young ones like Wilson and Luck. It seems like every year, the same damn teams are like "well, we'll grab this shitty backup from free agency, maybe he'll work out, even though we know he won't".
    Because most of the backups suffer behind shitters, and get forced into playing before they're ready. Couple that with most of the headliner rookies in recent memory decide they want to run (which gets them murdered in the NFL), and they get hurt before they have a chance to mature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Jets are definitely the team to beat.
    That's what they want!

10+ Year Old Account
    Cause franchise QBs don't grow on trees. The last draft to produce multiple elite level QBs was 2012. Since then we got maybe one or two other QBs, both of which I would consider unproven.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was looking at horrible Cleveland QBs and Manziel actually has the best record of anybody since they dumped Hoyer

Hoyer 10-6 .625 W%
    Manziel 2-6 .250 W%
    RGIII 1-4 .200 W%
    McCown 1-10 .091 W%
    Kessler 0-8 .000 W%
    A. Davis 0-2 .000 W%
    C. Shaw 0-1 .000 W%

Josh McCown has now been on 10 different NFL teams. That is Matt Stairs/Octaveo Dotel journeyman level.

I was looking at horrible Cleveland QBs and Manziel actually has the best record of anybody since they dumped Hoyer

Hoyer 10-6 .625 W%
    Manziel 2-6 .250 W%
    RGIII 1-4 .200 W%
    McCown 1-10 .091 W%
    Kessler 0-8 .000 W%
    A. Davis 0-2 .000 W%
    C. Shaw 0-1 .000 W%
    Since this iteration of the Browns came into existence they have only had 2 winning seasons, a 9-7 record with Tim Couch/Kelly Holcomb and 10-6 with Derek Anderson/Charlie Fry. Kind of shows how terrible that organization is.
    Last edited by Grube; 2017-03-21 at 07:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Since this iteration of the Browns came into existence they have only had 2 winning seasons, a 9-7 record with Tim Couch/Kelly Holcomb and 10-6 with Derek Anderson/Charlie Fry. Kind of shows how terrible that organization is.
    Another depressing thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_C..._Browns_season

Start there and keep going back in seasons looking at pro bowlers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another depressing thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_C..._Browns_season

Start there and keep going back in seasons looking at pro bowlers.
    4-12 with 6 pro bowlers, that's amazing. Patriots had like 4 or 5 this year. I think 4 or 5 is what the Patriots usually have and they are usually getting a lot of invites. Getting 6 at 4-12, amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like Cam Newton is having rotator cuff surgery and will be rehabing 4 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like Cam Newton is having rotator cuff surgery and will be rehabing 4 months.
    Yeah apparently they let him rest and rehab after the season, and just started throwing again and when they wanted to get more serious he started having pain while throwing, then they decided on surgery. Makes sense.

In other news, LB Kiko Alonso and the Dolphins agreed to a 3 year extension on his existing 1 year tender. 4 year deal in total for $28.8M with $18.5M guaranteed.