There should ether be set bonus's across all raid difficulty's or none at all.

Personally I much rather there be none, Its one of the main things I like about FFXIV.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I don't have any characters over 50 that have run POTD but from what I understand it slower than pre-50. I'm currently leveling multiple characters that are under 50 though and spamming floors 51-60 I usually get at least a level per run (20-25 minutes) and sometimes 2.
    Cool, Ill be doing 51-60 later to see what the XP difference is. I am only 54 (almost 55) atm..
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Is that accurate? If I recall correctly the MSQ sent you to the dungeon as the last thing you did in each zone, and it always rewarded the last available flight token for that zone. At that point the MSQ would send you to the next zone. I remember this quite distinctly.

The sidequests needed to be done to get the other flying bits too, so you wouldn't have flying for them either. Unless of course you were using a guide to specifically target only the ones that leads to flying bits, and ignoring the rest to come back too (but you'd likely outlevel them at this point and this seems like an exorbitant amount of work to bypass intended gameplay flow IMO).
    It's not accurate, the dungeon for most zones was the last thing, or close to last thing, you did in the zone and awarded you an aether current which was typically the last one you needed for the zone if you were keen on flying ASAP. Additionally, there were typically ~3 aether currents that could only be received through side quests and many of those side quests were gated behind the MSQ or other side quests so by the time you could actually get flying the MSQ in that zone was either done or mostly done and you'd done quite a few side quests. Azys Lla was the only zone I remember distinctly deviating from this but that's because it only had 4 currents and all of them were unlocked via the MSQ. I remember distinctly having all but one current for most zones completed relatively quickly, but then having to wait until the MSQ was done to get the last one. Dravanian Forelands was the worst offender IMO because you didn't earn your last current until you literally finished the zone after finishing Sohm Al and zoned into Churning Mists and turning in the quest, so you weren't even in the zone when you unlocked flying.

*snip* Set bonus cosmetics *snip*
    While I'm not deadset opposed, one down side that jumps out immediately to me is that you'd lose the cosmetic uniqueness upon upgrading out of the set or not having it glamoured in full. That would be kind of a bummer if you really liked a changed cosmetic.

The materia idea seems cool for these sort of things, though.

I'm not a fan of the set bonus idea, just for the layers of complication it introduces, but I definitely think the materia system could be used to different results rather than "add materia to increase your 2 favored class stats"
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-04-19 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    While I'm not deadset opposed, one down side that jumps out immediately to me is that you'd lose the cosmetic uniqueness upon upgrading out of the set or not having it glamoured in full. That would be kind of a bummer if you really liked a changed cosmetic.

I'm not a fan of the set bonus idea, just for the layers of complication it introduces, but I definitely think the materia system could be used to different results rather than "add materia to increase your 2 favored class stats"
    I like the idea of doing it via materia more than as a static set bonus, although if it were the latter, each set could have unique effects...of course, if you couldn't glamour a favorite set over future gear and retain those aesthetic bonuses, that would stink.

I could see gear set bonuses being glows or particle effects around shoulders, etc. being well received, though. I wouldn't want them myself, but I know others would.

My WoW characters always went for more believable and streamlined looks over MORE GLOW, MORE EFFECTS, SO MUCH HAPPEN, WOW SO COOL designed armor. There's a few crafted pieces in XIV with the shoulder particle effect and I didn't care for those either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Thx for the info.

Took 3 tries to clear 21-30 with a group due to getting a tank who just ran off after each pull. Kept pulling extra as we delt with mobs/traps. Got him again as my tank on the 3rd try and I had to pull out my tank pet on the boss lol.

Doing it with random groups atm, Is there a XP difference in solo and groups?
    No, but if you enter with a complete group, you keep your pomanders between sets, so it's a different sort of meta if you're in a premade or LS/FC group

Edit: Derp, missed an entire page of conversation because I didn't see yours was a page bottomer

Let me preface one piece. I personally think the idea of giving it to savage+ only is stupid, so please don't mistake my post for me advocating that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Name. Vengeance of Vivi.

2 pc. Empowers Thunder to double the potency of Thundercloud.
    4 pc. Increases the potency of Fire and Ice spells by 25%

But yeah again either bring set pieces raidwise into Normal as well or don't bother.
    This set is ok, but boring IMO. This is something you'd like to see? Aim higher my friend. Wishlist this shit.

If I was designing something for BLM (as a non BLM player) I might say:

Echoes of Mhach
    2pc: Casting Flare while Ley Lines is active causes it to radiate beneath you for 6s before settling again. In addition your Flare spell now costs X MP instead of all and deals 10% more damage.
    4pc: Gain the ability to use the dye interface to change both Ley Line's & Flare's color scheme. In addition Flare's cast speed is reduced by 25%.

So the goal here is: We know BLM's and Mhach fit. We know Mhach were into some powerful magic. We know Flare is thematically very powerful (fuck them for nerfing it, that shit is beautiful and deserves the limelight).

I created a set that brought some convenience utility and brought Flare back into use. I gave some customization by allowing you to change color, and I increased the cast speed of Flare by a fair margin.

What are your thoughts? Other BLM's what are your thoughts? Like it? Dislike it? Why? Would you be entertained by the idea of differentiating the color of your ley lines/flare spells via the dye interface?

What about the entire piece of being able to turn set bonuses into Materia to wear when you move on from that set?

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Cosmetic set bonuses would be lovely - allowing MCH the ability to 'glamour' their rook autoturret into a magitek bit and the bishop autoturret into an allagan node would be wonderful..
    Preface: I know very little about MCH gameplay. be gentle.

Allagan Node Schematics
    2pc: Activating Hyperdrive deploys your non-active turret simultaneously for 20s. Autoturrets deal 5% increase damaged while this effect is active.
    4pc: Transforms your Autoturrets appearance and attack animation to that of an Allagan Defense Node. Also allows you to use the dye interface to differentiate their lighting color schemes as well. Autoturrets deal an additional 5% damage during this effect.

The idea here is that Allagans are advanced. Machinists are advanced. We know defense nodes would be cool as shit to hold onto. Not being intimately familiar with their turret woes I couldn't devise a set that I felt strongly about.

MCH players, what do you think of a set like this? Any improvements or ideas of your own?

What would you think about turning this set bonus into a Materia to equip to keep the effects down the road? Materia collecting could be a cool side game IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    I'd just prefer them to not add set bonuses, especially if they would be different each tier.
    That's your opinion and I respect that, but would you mind actually going into detail per se? Or maybe coming up with wishlist of something you would want from a set bonus? I know it'd be tough since you're against the idea, but I'm curious to see what you could come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Personally I much rather there be none, Its one of the main things I like about FFXIV.
    Might I ask why you don't like set bonuses in general? Doubly why does FF14 not having set bonuses give you happiness? Do you believe the current itemization system is good?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It's not accurate - snip.
    I suspected so. Thanks for confirming Bud.

Come on Faroth - develop a cool set bonus for NIN (your main right?) Let me see what you got. What wishlist would you like to see in a set bonus?

My Materia solution solves the glamour issue pretty handily while adding itemization depth (yes at the cost of balance/complication, but we agreed not the topic atm).

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I like the idea of doing it via materia more than as a static set bonus, although if it were the latter, each set could have unique effects...of course, if you couldn't glamour a favorite set over future gear and retain those aesthetic bonuses, that would stink.
    I'd likely say if you glamoured over it the type of set designs I developed would remain intact, if it was WoW styled CM stuff I could see that being an issue though. My design gives you both. The set, then the Materia option for when you no longer need/want the set. It's a good compromise IMO that adds some much needed depth.

Kazela, what class do you main? Go ahead and drop me a wishlist set bonus. Something fun and cool.

I could see gear set bonuses being glows or particle effects around shoulders, etc. being well received, though. I wouldn't want them myself, but I know others would.

My WoW characters always went for more believable and streamlined looks over MORE GLOW, MORE EFFECTS, SO MUCH HAPPEN, WOW SO COOL designed armor. There's a few crafted pieces in XIV with the shoulder particle effect and I didn't care for those either.
    Boringggggggg to first comment.

You probably can tell what tmog I use in WoW. I like it because it's a simple clean, non glowing set. Although I do use a T16/T6 hybrid set sometimes too.
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2017-04-19 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that accurate? If I recall correctly the MSQ sent you to the dungeon as the last thing you did in each zone, and it always rewarded the last available flight token for that zone. At that point the MSQ would send you to the next zone. I remember this quite distinctly.

The sidequests needed to be done to get the other flying bits too, so you wouldn't have flying for them either. Unless of course you were using a guide to specifically target only the ones that leads to flying bits, and ignoring the rest to come back too (but you'd likely outlevel them at this point and this seems like an exorbitant amount of work to bypass intended gameplay flow IMO).
    Correct.
    You only needed to do 2 sidequests per zone or sth. like that. There were still tons of quests left to do with alt classes and flight.
    Ofc I goggled the correct chains, so I could get flight ASAP. Wasn't much work at all, really. Remember: FF doesn't intend you to do all the side quests with your main class.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Correct.
    You only needed to do 2 sidequests per zone or sth. like that. There were still tons of quests left to do with alt classes and flight.
    Ofc I goggled the correct chains, so I could get flight ASAP. Wasn't much work at all, really. Remember: FF doesn't intend you to do all the side quests with your main class.
    Was more than 2 if I recall. Some of these quests also required you to do a few prerequisite quests to get to the important ones.

I also know for a fact that at launch you needed to do almost all of the sidequests in each zone up until like CM to make sure you didn't get story locked.

It was either 3 or 4 side quests you had to do but it varied by zone. Either way you still had some side quests left over but not enough to care. I guess technically you could follow a guide but such a thing didn't exist when you're playing during early access of Heavensward launch...

This is my biggest issue with armour lately in WoW. It seems like every new tier has to be flashier and "cooler" than the last one. I will admit though Legion has been a bit better with it but that's probably because their creative juices have ran out when it comes to designing armour sets. On the other hand one of my favorite armour sets in FFXIV is the set you get from novice training.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    It was either 3 or 4 side quests you had to do but it varied by zone. Either way you still had some side quests left over but not enough to care. I guess technically you could follow a guide but such a thing didn't exist when you're playing during early access of Heavensward launch...
    uh, yes there was. There was a guide like a day or two after early access.

Got my first Garo set today so I can start trying to get those mounts. Got the healer set since aside from the weapon it's basically 3 sets in one. Gonna get the other 2 healer weapons next just to knock those achievements out, then either SMN/BLM or BRD/MCH for the same reason of them being shared sets. Then come the melee sets.

Found out something I didn't know last night as it's not very obvious, to me at least. When previewing an item with the "Try On/Fitting Room" function you can right click on the item's icon and it brings up a small menu, one option being Enable Dye Preview - assuming the item is dyable of course. So even if you don't own it, you can see how it looks when dyed. Unfortunately, it just opens the normal dye preview window which only allows 1 dye at a time, and only on a single item or all items. Shame they didn't just combine the the Fitting Room and the dye window into a single element, along with the option to dye multiple items different colors.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

I'd likely say if you glamoured over it the type of set designs I developed would remain intact, if it was WoW styled CM stuff I could see that being an issue though. My design gives you both. The set, then the Materia option for when you no longer need/want the set. It's a good compromise IMO that adds some much needed depth.

Kazela, what class do you main? Go ahead and drop me a wishlist set bonus. Something fun and cool.
    I main BLM here. Going with the theme of visual/aesthetic changes they could do...

- Change the pattern in which the fire/ice orbs orbit the player; instead of all 3 following in a circle, perhaps a helix-esque pattern. The Zeta and Sharpened Anima (260) weapon have such patterns on the staff
    - Warlocks in WoW had green fire; I'd say let BLM have blue fire. Blue flames are hotter, after all. Not to mention it could almost confuse the crap out of people when they think "wtf it's an ice mage" only to see the giant explosions (and subsequent non-ice mage dps, if they are monitoring that) and go "ooo nvm".
    - Thunder spell(s) actually hitting targets with bolts of lightning instead of an underwhelming little spark thing.
    - Something that gives Scathe a graphic, although it's such a seldom used spell, would it really matter?

- - - Updated - - -

Correct.
    During HW launch, I found I had to do every single side quest on top of running each dungeon at least twice in order to get enough xp to move on to the following MSQ(s). That being said, I had completely ignored leveling roulette back then, plus PotD didn't exist. Not to mention the xp from the FATEs in HW zones was beyond abysmal...for the longest time, the best xp/hour was Northern Thanalan (a place I pretty much never go to unless one of the hunts spawn there). Can't stand that zone due to how much time I spent leveling alt jobs there...ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    uh, yes there was. There was a guide like a day or two after early access.
    It was two days after and it didn't have all the zones for quite a few days after that. Either way I was already 60 by then. It was nice I guess for people who were slower.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2017-04-19 at 10:08 PM.

My personal beef with set bonuses is the omni-present perception that kind of thing tends to generate of "Get set or gtfo". At the moment gearing in FFXIV is not exactly overwhelmingly exciting, but it is also not very elitist: The Savage crowd gets the top ilevel gear faster and the option of mixing and matching things together to make absolute BiS, but the rest can achieve very near the same level of gearing eventually without needing to handle statics or brawing more or less civil farm groups.

Getting cosmetic fun and games is certainly ok and could generate more interest in poking around older "hard content" past its usual experation date.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was more than 2 if I recall. Some of these quests also required you to do a few prerequisite quests to get to the important ones.
    I also know for a fact that at launch you needed to do almost all of the sidequests in each zone up until like CM to make sure you didn't get story locked.
    Your memory is party correct. Yes some sidequests were questlines but my point still stands: if you picked out the flight quests you could easily have the rest of the sidequests with flight. Please do not argue further with me about this. I have leveled that way because I hate being pinned to the ground.

I didn't level hardcore though, so daily dungeon roulette + rested xp prevented any "main story lock" and saw to it that I could reserve the sidequests for my alt classes (except Azys Lla, but you can fly there right away).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    This is my biggest issue with armour lately in WoW. It seems like every new tier has to be flashier and "cooler" than the last one. I will admit though Legion has been a bit better with it but that's probably because their creative juices have ran out when it comes to designing armour sets. On the other hand one of my favorite armour sets in FFXIV is the set you get from novice training.
    My biggest issue is that it all looks "savage-hordish" with giant visible stitches etc. To be frank: CRAP.
    So umm I'm still running around in T4 because my Draenei has taste and prefers finely woven clothing sewed together by experts.

My biggest issue is that it all looks "savage-hordish" with giant visible stitches etc. To be frank: CRAP.
    So umm I'm still running around in T4 because my Draenei has taste and prefers finely woven clothing sewed together by experts.
    I felt the same way in wow. My transmogs were all vanilla or bc stuff. From WotLK on, armor variety tanked, and everything became bigger, bulkier, "busier", and just, as you said, CRAP. Staves went from... being properly proportioned, to mages carrying around street lamp posts because of weird weapon scaling.

These are the main mogs I used in WoW when I was still playing:

Very little since vanilla/bc has been appealing to me. Hell in Wotlk they didn't just recolor mage tier 3 into tier 7, they added all these crappy patterns to the robe and the 10 man recolor was brown and yelllow... it looked like it was tie-dyed in a toilet someone forgot to flush.

In FFXIV I have a hard time deciding what to glamour cause I have such a huge variety of options of which most are really appealing. (though they could give males more body options that aren't pseudo-dresses imo).
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2017-04-20 at 11:59 AM.

Deleted
    haha i have a hard time decided what job let alone glamour to play in FFXIV :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Well.. there's that, main tank decided to leave raid-group - original raid-members left: 3. Think we're about to be done with whole raiding scene. Maybe Stormblood will inspire us, maybe not.. we'll see.

Shortly after he left, got whisper if I'm planning to leave as well since we've been doing stuff together for past ~2 years. Just hope that he's not planning to quite FFXIV entirely, been two long years and he's pretty much "only friend" in-game - and I don't know if I can continue alone.

I've had that feeling since Wrath. A lot of sets looked fantastic for Horde races, but not so much for Alliance.

Add in the fact that weapons haven't looked like metal since Wrath either. They look like giant chunks of stone that's been chiseled into the same of a weapon, with big chips and cracks in the stone to boot. Even Varian's swords looked like it in the Legion cut scenes. They don't have the polish of forged steel or mythic metal. Almost all of my characters were pre-Wrath transmog with 2 exceptions. I think a pvp set on my rogue and a Wrath set on my NE priest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Well.. there's that, main tank decided to leave raid-group - original raid-members left: 3. Think we're about to be done with whole raiding scene. Maybe Stormblood will inspire us, maybe not.. we'll see.

Shortly after he left, got whisper if I'm planning to leave as well since we've been doing stuff together for past ~2 years. Just hope that he's not planning to quite FFXIV entirely, been two long years and he's pretty much "only friend" in-game - and I don't know if I can continue alone.
    That's a bummer.
    What server are you guys all on?