Thread: New Producer

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Producer

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20170413

so... Ben Irving is OUT. I hope whatever those bigger and better things are, won't be ruining other games, but... is this a glimmer of hope? thoughts?

The whole "Musco's boss" thing...that's a joke, right? I hope it is, because any association with Musco is bad IMO.

Hopefully the change will lead to things turning around a bit, but I don't want to get my hopes up. Ben's influence will still be felt for a while, but interested to see where the game goes under a new producer.

I think its a stream joke. ish? not sure. but the fact that he actualy personaly extensively plays the game - alone, is kinda giving me a tiny touch of hope. i guess we'll see

7+ Year Old Account
    I hope they can focus more on story driven content that is well written. SWTOR's high points are their class stories(1-50) I gladly subbed to play through those, they need to capture that same sense of character driven content.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I hope they can focus more on story driven content that is well written. SWTOR's high points are their class stories(1-50) I gladly subbed to play through those, they need to capture that same sense of character driven content.
    Their current and previous expansion have pretty amazing character driven content in their Chapters.

It's pretty clear to me after recently playing KOTOR 2 on Steam, that someone was trying to transform SWTOR into KOTOR 3. They even changed the dialog system to be exactly the same as KOTOR 2. The problem for me was that not having empire vs. republic felt really weird, there was a bunch of ability lag in the new story missions, and who wants to pay a subscription for a tiny version of a single player game?

I'd bet the huge issues with Galactic Command (which Irving seemed to be a big fan of) were a major reason he was forced out. A new producer could be a good thing, but I'm not really holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Their current and previous expansion have pretty amazing character driven content in their Chapters.
    Eh....amazing character driven content when there's almost no class flavor, your previous relationships/choices are largely ignored, there are few meaningful choices/moments, very limited character development (especially among the plot-mandated companions) and inconsistent writing? I thought the last two expansions have been pretty bad, to be honest. I've absolutely hated how every character experiences basically the same story except for a handful of moments spread across hours of story (which usually just come down to which character dies and is then completely forgotten).
    Last edited by Lesaberisa; 2017-04-14 at 07:55 PM.

Deleted
    Hopefully we get some more traditional MMO content. We've had the same opses for years, and they do get boring after a while. But at the same time Swtor needs a good "personal" storyline (with the proper Swtor voice acting, not with the Kotor style crap we get with Odessen followers) as well.

My issue with the KotFE/KotET story is the same as with WoW. When you are the leader of a galactic empire, how do you improve from that? Or how do you go back? Is it even credible for the Alliance Commander (and Emperor, depending on your choices) to go back to traditional, smaller scale questing? I'd rather do quests for an Emperor NPC than become the Emperor myself. It's just ridiculous.

And WoW? You get the Ahsbringer and become the leader of all the world's Paladins (or whatever your class is). You are a general wielding a tremendously powerful army, on par (or even above) with the High King of the Alliance or the Warchief of the Horde. Celestial beings like the Titans and the Naaru swear allegiance to your character. How do you go back to being a regular adventurer from that? Because players want to be regular adventurers, not generals or god-emperors. That's always been the prime appeal of MMO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesaberisa View Post
    I'd bet the huge issues with Galactic Command (which Irving seemed to be a big fan of) were a major reason he was forced out. A new producer could be a good thing, but I'm not really holding my breath.
    He wasn't forced out, he was moved to their secret project, which if anything is more of a promotion than anything else.

7+ Year Old Account
    Do they have any plans or teased any sort of information regarding future patches or expacs?

Do they have any plans or teased any sort of information regarding future patches or expacs?
    They didn't really talk about swtor at SW Celebration at all and we got very little new information at the SWTOR cantina.

This was all that was said:

Ivela and Esne are the twin sisters that will be raid boss 2 for the new operation. Ivela and Esne are the second boss and wont come till June'ish.

Story will continue in 5.3 with a new flashpoint on Umbara.

Nothing about expansions.

---------------------

There is a patch coming to swtor tomorrow (5.2) that helps fix a few of the issues that 5.0 brought but leave some still around as well. With that patch also comes a new daily grind rep area and only one OPS boss out of a supposed 5. (bw is currently only able to create 1 boss every two months now so this raid wont be finished till this December and thats if they can stay on track)

Sad days in swtor to be honest.

So all in all, it was a very lackluster SW cantina so I hope their next "road map" post has a bit more meat to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    My issue with the KotFE/KotET story is the same as with WoW. When you are the leader of a galactic empire, how do you improve from that? Or how do you go back? Is it even credible for the Alliance Commander (and Emperor, depending on your choices) to go back to traditional, smaller scale questing? I'd rather do quests for an Emperor NPC than become the Emperor myself. It's just ridiculous.

And WoW? You get the Ahsbringer and become the leader of all the world's Paladins (or whatever your class is). You are a general wielding a tremendously powerful army, on par (or even above) with the High King of the Alliance or the Warchief of the Horde. Celestial beings like the Titans and the Naaru swear allegiance to your character. How do you go back to being a regular adventurer from that? Because players want to be regular adventurers, not generals or god-emperors. That's always been the prime appeal of MMO's.
    To quote Edge-: With MMOs you have to disconnect yourself from the reality of the game(or something like that lol).

I agree with you 100% with being the Big Chief, but I mean you are STILL running shit missions/quests that are deemed for the peons of your Vast and Mighty army.

Hell each and everyday we run Dailies for creds and something to do. We are the BIG CHIEF!!! why the F**K are we doing this. With WoW Garrisons at least you were given the illusion of sending out your army to do your farming or crafting stuff( estimation here, I have not played Garrisons yet).

And now... we the BIG CHIEF are told that we have to choose to side with the Empire or Republic because.. Star Wars is Empire vs Republic. The Devs could not figure this out YEARS ago that killing the Immortal Emperor and FORCING us on the Throne was a STUPID idea.....

But... at least now we can get back to the true War. At least I hope so.

Would take a miracle to turn things around this point. The games pretty much a single player snooze-fest with scraps of multiplayer skill needed here and there. Here's to hoping but I'll not hold my breath while I wait.

7+ Year Old Account
    The story in this patch was pretty decent imo. They also set up some future story plots that could be interesting

The story in this patch was pretty decent imo.
    I definately cannot agree with you there.

This was probably one of the weakest stories I've seen bw put together.

Your fleet gets conveniently disabled.

No matter what you chose you are forced to side with one of the weaker factions (rep or emp)

Once you join them you are suddenly this side kick to them and not the other way around.

A very Cliche, oh shit you got a traitor in your group again. As if that hasn't been over used enough in the other 25 chapters.

One of the worst moments was Theron when you make the decision to spy on everyone in the allaince. Theron highly disapproves of it even though he knows there is a traitor. He's done the same thing all though SoR as well as Kotfe and KotET. It's his job as a spy but suddenly he doesn't approve you doing it when you know you have this traitor. It's a WTF moment of grand proportions.

You conveniently get your fleet but don't try to end the war. You never actually use the fleet on the Enemy you were forced to go against. Another WTF moment.

We were told months back about getting companions and they wanted to do it the right way. Play it up. You get a companion this time and you will almost have no clue it actually happened. Another WTF moment and poor writing.

While you know the story is just one of many to come, it ends so abruptly, you will wonder if its a bug.

There is so much wrong with bw and the story we got it would be hard to type it all out.
    But if all that wasn't bad enough. Get this.

The daily rep grind area:

To do the dailies after finishing the story, you have to pay to pick up the bulk of daily quests and the couple free quests are not enough to do much good.
    You have to grind iokath shards by killing mobs so you can spend them to pick up iokath dailies so you grind the rep meter and the cost in shards is extremely high.

If that doesn't sound bad enough, bw split the rep grind into two halves letting you grind the shards to get the dailies to grind the rep of the opposite faction. The one you are supposed to be killing. Thats where the whole switch factions thing comes in. I thought it was to encourage PVP but that was a joke. It was to allow you to grind the same area twice.

Grind to pick up shards. Spend shards to get dailies so you can grind a rep for both factions on one toon if you want. Even if you choose to kill the other faction.
    Another grand WTF moment in how can we kill the gamers time doing the same thing over and over. Just make them do it twice.

And here is another kicker. The vendors for both sides don't really have anything interesting like say the gree had. It's not a great enticement to return to the game and see this setup. It provides little entertainment or reward for the time you put in.

It's really hard to believe that this is what bw has been working on.

I can only hope that the new OPs boss is worth it because the rest is garbage.

They also set up some future story plots that could be interesting
    Maybe but I don't see how if this chapters writing is what we have to look forward to.
    Last edited by quras; 2017-04-19 at 03:36 PM.

That...sounds rough.

Seems like they handled removing your power as galactic emperor about as interestingly and gracefully as a panda on a tightrope (i.e. not at all). Wasn't expecting much out of these story updates, given that there wasn't really supposed to be much story beyond the initial KotET stuff apparently, but that's...ugh.

Sounds like BW's design and content largely remains at the bottom of the barrel for major MMO's : /

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That...sounds rough.

SNIP... : /
    It really is bad but I tell you what. I cannot explain my shock when it got time to do the dailies and I had to grind shards, all so I could pay them out just so I could pick up the daily quests. Which in turn leads to the rep grind.

One quest costs 600 shard (and thats every day you might want to do it) and you might get 10-15 shards per group of mobs. Doesn't sound so bad till you realize all the other people are there doing the same.

Grind out shards to get the daily quests to grind out the reputation for iokath. It's a WTF moment if any.

And if that wasn't bad enough design. Oh, just do it all twice so you can grind out a copied rep meter just for the opposite side. Grind out the rep for a faction you want to kill off.

bw's stupidity currently has no limits in it's bad decisions. This is not the patch that is going to retain gamers or bring them back.
    Last edited by quras; 2017-04-19 at 06:40 PM.

All I want to know is, do I get to kill Quinn?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Hopefully we get some more traditional MMO content. We've had the same opses for years, and they do get boring after a while. But at the same time Swtor needs a good "personal" storyline (with the proper Swtor voice acting, not with the Kotor style crap we get with Odessen followers) as well.

It's one thing to be a general of sorts leader of paladins and another to be an emperor of a nation in a MMO. Besides being an "adventurer" is not everyone's thing. Especially in very war like stories. Some low level adventurer isn't going to get involved in big shit unless he's crazy.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    Ill change my view, it was pretty cliche heavy. Only thing I liked was sith warrior getting to reunite with Quinn.