Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    It looks nice but I'm gonna stay skeptic, to many mmorpgs have totally failed and collapsed, not really growing and if they are growing it's so small and nearly not even worth taking notes off.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason no newly-launched MMORPG will ever be a serious contender against WoW is that WoW has almost 13 years of post-release development. All of the bugs/glitches, all of the little nagging QA issues have been addressed long ago, all of the shitty "sounded good on paper" gameplay mechanics are gone, and it has had that long to build a strong, solid community. Couple that with the fact that it became a part of pop culture (even people who have never played WoW have heard of it), and is backed by an industry giant, and this creates a very impressive obstacle to overcome for any would-be contender.

This game looks nice (although a few short nonconsecutive gameplay clips should be taken with a grain of salt), and some of the concepts sound cool, but quite frankly, I don't think I'll be checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I'm remaining on the fence for now. Loads of MMOs in the past few years that talk a big game and are still either in Alpha, cancelled or just plain awful. Looks a good game for what it is but as I said my 2 cents.
    Agreed. Best terminology for me at this point would be cautiously optimistic. I hope it does well, but if you've been following and/ or been a part of the MMO genre over the last decade like me, there's been no small number of failed, botched, flopped, cancelled and/or over hyped pieces of crap MMOs so I'll be on the fence about this until I see something more concrete.

As I already said though, I wish them the best because with what they have so far it looks pretty amazing.

Not hyped at all, but will keep my eye on the game. Not sure why people are going nuts over the graphics - it looks like a lifeless, generic tech demo right now. I think WoW looks visually more interesting and overall just better than what's been shown off so far (granted, hard to compare two entirely different styles). Nice that it's a western dev team - tired of all the asian ports that end up being huge p2w grindfests.

The second video on the node system came out today, featuring a metropolis. This game looks amazing.

The blog can be found: here.

Also, the kickstarter will begin May 1st.
    Last edited by Coffeh; 2017-04-21 at 05:37 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    NOt really feeling it the idea is nice but the execution is always never the way the devs expect it to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    First Gen 3 mmo? EQNext seemed like it was too, but was scrapped. Im cautiously optimistic about this, but afraid it wont succeed because mmos are dying.

What MMO's are good and worth playing then other than WoW?
    You lot compare every other MMO to WoW, if its not better than WoW you say its not worth playing... Thats not fair.
    Think of your all time favourite game of another genre, now just because a new game is released of that same genre that isnt better than your all time favourite, does that make this new game and every other new game bad? No..
    Yes WoW might be the king of MMO's, the all time champion.... but fact is its still 10 years old now and people have grown bored of it, no matter how good it might be..
    Give other MMO's a chance... even if they arent great, sure they are still worth giving a try, levelling up to max level at minimum. Thats still going to be alot of hours put in, way more than your typical 5-20hours for some AAA singleplayer games you would pay £40/$60 for
    /rantOver

- - - Updated - - -

I guess the MMO genre is a tricky one.
    Action/Adventure single players have a typical 20hours playtime... Big hype prior to release, with or without previous versions, massive marketing stretch up until release day, release hits.. you hear all about it with reviews for a short time and then nothing. That games usually gone from all media forever, except the small minority that you hear about later on in the year when they begin winning awards etc. Its a cycle, because then the next game comes out..... and the next.. and the next. Games that dont take up ALL our time.... so you can have a new one every week..

MMO's though.... Totally different, they are more like platforms rather than games.... Some people will have every single console and PC, though only one ultimately will be used the most... but most people will just have a PC + Console, just PC or just 1 console... I think MMO's are the same.. and because 1. People are either still happy with WoW... they are not ready nor interested in another MMO, even if they think they are and they try new MMO's, WoW is still their baby and nothing will change that.
    2. People cannot help but compare to WoW which is king of MMO's... so if its not better than WoW its instantly assumed bad.... Im starting to feel bad for these MMO developers who are trying but maybe its true and they should stop, until one day if and when WoW ever dies.....

I really am rambling on... probably should read over what I just typed, probably make some tweaks/remove some parts.. nah, sending

Looks great. Can't wait to try it.

If there isn't a Necromancer/Warlock-esque class then I won't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    If there isn't a Necromancer/Warlock-esque class then I won't bother.
    Over 60 class combinations according to the devs. Sure you will find something.

Quote "We have a unique and detailed class system, which we will discuss further in a developer’s blog. For now, I can say that we have 8 archetypes. You will choose an archetype as your primary class that you will level from starting level to max level. Along the way, you will choose a secondary class from the 8 archetypes. That secondary class will augment your primary class’ abilities and skills. In total, our class system will have 64 distinct classes, of which there will be a wide variety of customization in skills and abilities based on the player’s choices."

Quote Originally Posted by Rise of the Leviathan View Post
    Over 60 class combinations according to the devs. Sure you will find something.

Quote "We have a unique and detailed class system, which we will discuss further in a developer’s blog. For now, I can say that we have 8 archetypes. You will choose an archetype as your primary class that you will level from starting level to max level. Along the way, you will choose a secondary class from the 8 archetypes. That secondary class will augment your primary class’ abilities and skills. In total, our class system will have 64 distinct classes, of which there will be a wide variety of customization in skills and abilities based on the player’s choices."
    I've played numerous MMOs over the years and I've seen many make the same or similar claims and it never ends well for me. I love magic in pretty much all its forms and while I'm not necessarily tired of playing the generic "mage" archetype, I am tired of developers relying on them to fill their spellcaster quota. I mean, I don't necessarily need a Warlock/Necromancer but definitely something that relies on summons that aren't small and underwhelming.

I've played numerous MMOs over the years and I've seen many make the same or similar claims and it never ends well for me. I love magic in pretty much all its forms and while I'm not necessarily tired of playing the generic "mage" archetype, I am tired of developers relying on them to fill their spellcaster quota. I mean, I don't necessarily need a Warlock/Necromancer but definitely something that relies on summons that aren't small and underwhelming.
    This too. Seen a couple of MMOs before advertise this whole "archetype" bullcrap and it was an absolute pile of trash.

Also for me either a Red Mage style class like FF games or a Necro. Or a melee Necro like GW2 has.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-04-22 at 02:38 PM.

64 distinct classes? Oh man I can just imagine how balanced that will be! *eyeroll* Umm I'd say I want complete details of this 'class system' long before they start asking for money in a Kickstarter, but I think we ALL know what is going to come first.

Not liking the idea of losing all your progress after building up a node. Especially when you can buy/sell your homes. I can see a couple guilds/groups of players getting together buying the homes in a node then maxing the node. After that selling all the homes in the node to other players then siege the city and wipe it out. Then just repeating the process over.

To be honest, mmo's can barely balance 12 classes Can see your concern though, If they have a simple stat system and gear doesn't have a drastic effect on stats, should be okay.

It's an interesting concept though, picturing something like rift's class system. A mage combined with an Archer, could be like Dragon Dogma's Magick Archer for example. Promotes freedom of choice and uniqueness if they can get balance right, which might prevent cookie-cutter specs and people can play what they actually want.

Systems that boast such vast numbers are usually shallow as fuck, because the whole fantasy genre doesn't provide enough variety without massive overlapping when it comes to classes. For all I care they don't have to have classes at all and you can just do your own thing, but then there will be even more massive balancing concerns or restrictions. This is a numbers game and the devs aren't exactly backed by a multibillion dollar publisher. The hubris that they think they can tame something that veterans in the industry with enormous funding haven't even remotely achieved is just laughable.

Case in point: The abilities in dragons dogma were shallw beyond ciomprehension. As a mage and the varying subclasses of that, it was a huge disapointment.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-04-22 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    This too. Seen a couple of MMOs before advertise this whole "archetype" bullcrap and it was an absolute pile of trash.

Also for me either a Red Mage style class like FF games or a Necro. Or a melee Necro like GW2 has.
    The sad thing is, is that based on what I read in the first post, it hits a lot of the right notes that make me want to try an MMO out but those features are either exaggerated or locked at or near end-game content and I hate waiting to experience bits of content that aren't raiding and the like.

I actually don't mind classes that mingle melee with magic but obviously if I have a choice I prefer to go full caster. That said, isn't the Necromancer in Guild Wars 2 a pure caster? I think Heart of Thorns added an Elite skill set or something like that's built around utilizing the Greatsword but I don't have that expansion nor have I played Guild Wars 2 much. Anyway, I may bite the bullet on this one and test it out regardless but I definitely won't be able to go into it with any sort of optimism.

The sad thing is, is that based on what I read in the first post, it hits a lot of the right notes that make me want to try an MMO out but those features are either exaggerated or locked at or near end-game content and I hate waiting to experience bits of content that aren't raiding and the like.

I actually don't mind classes that mingle melee with magic but obviously if I have a choice I prefer to go full caster. That said, isn't the Necromancer in Guild Wars 2 a pure caster? I think Heart of Thorns added an Elite skill set or something like that's built around utilizing the Greatsword but I don't have that expansion nor have I played Guild Wars 2 much. Anyway, I may bite the bullet on this one and test it out regardless but I definitely won't be able to go into it with any sort of optimism.
    No you could have melee builds in standard GW2. Dagger/WH Power Necro was a popular PvP build. Most of the offhand stuff was ranged but it could dual wield daggers. You are right though in that the Elite skill is a Melee one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Seem great but i will remain skeptical until the game is released, at least there isnt a language barrier and a publisher to go through for communication with the game company which is a plus, im looking at you FFXIV and Black Desert.