Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Could a MMO be created based on the world of Overwatch?

And the heroes and villains that you play in Overwatch would be important NPC's that you could interact with.

It could be two factions fighting each other for dominion but at a larger scale than what's currently in Overwatch and of course there would be a large world to explore.
    Last edited by Amalaric; 2017-04-23 at 12:26 PM.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

Dont you people even know what games you play?

Overwatch is the salvage of the MMO that was never created because Blizzard was smart enough to understand they were too slow with releasing it and scrapped it all together.

Overwatch is the salvage of the PvP system with many tweaks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_...nment_project)

There, read up.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-23 at 12:27 PM.

It could be possible an i am looking forward to it. I was looking for good FPS/MMORPG for a very long time now. It's about time Blizzard delivers.

it really could be. it'd be nice.

i'd love to actually get to interact with the world of overwatch. it's really cool.

but i'd prefer world of diablo first.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post

Overwatch is the salvage of the MMO that was never created because Blizzard was smart enough to understand they were too slow with releasing it and scrapped it all together.

There, read up.
    Yes I know but Blizzard c'mon... Make MMO's Great Again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Yes I know but Blizzard c'mon... Make MMO's Great Again.
    MMO's in the old sense (WoW and the like) are on their way out. There likely won't be another game in that genre that smashes the records like WoW, and WoW is still only as popular as it is because it's been around for so long.

Would it be fun? Certainly. Most of the universes that Blizzard dishes out seem like they would be really interesting to interact with, just like us having our own character in Warcraft's Universe.

But I fear it's unlikely to happen. I feel that the team would have to be incredibly expanded, in order to create yet another sub-division that would work on this MMO and release content at any acceptable rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    MMO's in the old sense (WoW and the like) are on their way out. There likely won't be another game in that genre that smashes the records like WoW, and WoW is still only as popular as it is because it's been around for so long.
    Wow is popular because of brand name recognition and sunk cost fallacy.

MMOs in general are on the way out, as the consumer readiness to pay 60 bucks every couple of months for a new game to churn is much greater then their willingness to pay monthly to keep playing one game. Which means that games like MMOs which at high quality levels require a constant stream of investment and have rather high running costs aren't financially viable anymore.

Blizzard realised through testing and analytics that all that titan (the name of the mmo that was salvaged into overwatch) could in the best case accomplish was to fracture their userbase (people who don't currently play mmos usually stay that way and the mmo playerbase is/was very concentrated on WOW) into 2 games which they then both had to expensively maintain. At worst it'd be a whole lot of money sunk into an abyss.
    Last edited by Magicpot; 2017-04-23 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    I don't believe that MMO's are on their way out... people still wants to have proper living and breathing online world to play in.

Just because game companies fails to deliver doesn't mean that there isn't a demand.

And the heroes and villains that you play in Overwatch would be important NPC's that you could interact with.

It could be two factions fighting each other for dominion but at a larger scale than what's currently in Overwatch and of course there would be a large world to explore.
    No, Blizzard would not want another MMO that could take subs from WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    No, Blizzard would not want another MMO that could take subs from WoW.
    Not making a great MMO out of Overwatch would not stop WoW from losing subs.

Making MMO out of the game that started as scraps from failed MMO? Seriously?

Deleted
    It's not worth creating a mmorpg based on the Overwatch universe, this genre is well dying not much new blood flowing in it just old veterans from a bygone age in gaming pretty much that are still here. Spend 15 min in OW with high action or kill mobs for ten hours, don't think that will be attractive towards the current generation of gamers.

Not making a great MMO out of Overwatch would not stop WoW from losing subs.
    Blizzard puts more and more money into WoW and there is no indication of them wanting to make an MMO out of Overwatch.
    Overwatch was supoosed to be an MMO they called Titan but the scrapped it, after all.

It is simply not likely to ever happen.

They did and failed. This game is what's left of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    Indeed, Ilios is the husk of Project Titan.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    When you fail you try again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why would you want them to make something you like into a MMO. MMOs are the death of good story.

15+ Year Old Account
    I do love the world of Overwatch and would have really liked to see what they had planned with Titan. One day, they might reveal that, but I don't ever see Blizzard making that investment again. They aren't afraid to scrap a game that just isn't working and apparently, that was the case with this. I never got to play Titan, but I did play Starcraft Ghost. I feel like they made the right decision with cancelling that game and they likely made the right one with Titan/Overwatch too. Just look how successful it has become in this non-MMO form. I can see them expanding the world of Overwatch over the years with more multi-media experiences, but sadly, I don't see that ever turning into an MMO again.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post

There, read up.
    They didn't do it because it took too long, Diablo 3 was scraped several times over 11 years and it was still released. Blizzard has blizzard money and can afford to eat losses. The reason they scraped it was because they just couldn't capture the fun factor. Very little of Titan actually made it to Overwatch, just concepts like Tracer who was originally called a "jumper".
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.