Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

How exactly is Affliction tanky in pvp?

I'm by no means a good pvper, but I'm getting slaughtered in 5 seconds by most classes, often even with Unending Resolve up. Isn't Affliction supposed to be tanky? When I play random bgs the moment 1 or 2 melee jump on me I live maybe for 5 seconds unless I'm getting spamhealed. I did some 2v2 the other day and I swear to god a fury warrior killed me in 3 seconds.
    Last edited by sheggaro; 2017-05-08 at 04:35 AM.

you shouldn't die vs any classes 1v1, at least i feel that way in bgs.

dots + x3 UA drain soul and ez kills, outheal most ppl

apart from that, they arent really tanky per se, Demo has soul link, 30-40? reduccion dmg
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

Deleted
    you keep yourself alive with selfheal, i can't remeber that i lost a 1vs1 inside a bg.
    2vs1 is a different story, too much kicks / stuns etc. on your heal will kill you certainly

Don't get interrupted.

Don't fight DHs.

That's about it for Affliction Warlock and every caster class tbh in BGs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prinnybomb View Post
    you keep yourself alive with selfheal, i can't remeber that i lost a 1vs1 inside a bg.
    2vs1 is a different story, too much kicks / stuns etc. on your heal will kill you certainly
    Don't know about the scaling inside bgs, but I would be surprised if you "keep yourself alive" 1vs1 against a rogue or dh or warry, heck even paladins with wings up kill you within the 5 sec stun duration if you can't "trinket" out of it.

I've only ever seen it it the open PvP zones, where almost every single melee kills me during Unending resolve or ccs me long enough to kill me after it. The only chance I have is when I'm far enough away to be able to keep the distance (Coil, slow-corruption leggy, etc). Once they're on me, it's game over.

In random bgs it goes like this:

Throw an agony and whatever else you can (Curse of Weakness helps!) before they get to you then pop Unending Resolve, dump your shards (in UAs) and drain soul while keeping everything up with Rot and Decay. Just like in pve the normal dots are there just for flavor

Interrupts are the worst thing ever and outside of Unending resolve you are pretty screwed. Try and fake cast if you can, Casting Circle also helps and you'll even find 99% of your enemies blowing their interrupt on that.

I find it nearly impossible to lose to a caster with Doomguard/Felhunter and Netherward

Affliction is also lots of fun to snipe kills (like destro)

In WQs arenas I do like to abuse legendaries and one shot people as destro. However I'm terribad and I dont do actual rated PvP
    Last edited by Aurange; 2017-05-08 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    ... a fury warrior ...
    There you have it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    Don't know about the scaling inside bgs, but I would be surprised if you "keep yourself alive" 1vs1 against a rogue or dh or warry, heck even paladins with wings up kill you within the 5 sec stun duration if you can't "trinket" out of it.

I've only ever seen it it the open PvP zones, where almost every single melee kills me during Unending resolve or ccs me long enough to kill me after it. The only chance I have is when I'm far enough away to be able to keep the distance (Coil, slow-corruption leggy, etc). Once they're on me, it's game over.
    yeah i dont know how the pvp zones / outdoor pvp looks like but im also dying there like a pig. pve server <3

The key to a successful random BG is positioning, just like in many other parts of this game. I try to always keep the biggest gap possible between me and my target. I also try to use my landscape to kind of blend in. Nothing screams kill me fast more than a giant doomguard standing next to you casting shadow bolts while your link laser drains there soul. With enough SL out, popping reap, UR, and draining will keep you alive through just about anything.

I also run Demon Skin 24/7 besides this warsong brawl. It is super noticeable when you do not have this talent.

Also make you are using that healthstone. I use an Int flask in random bgs as well always.

I swear to god a fury warrior killed me in 3 seconds.
    I feel okay vs most specs besides them...honestly they feel like a god damn unstoppable juggernaut right now. Ridiculous damage, good self healing, and crazy mobility. And whatever it is that keeps them from dieing at 1 hp is just so god damn annoying.

This WSG brawl has really highlighted just how horrible our mobility is for me, when any random snare means you basically you have no chance to catch any flag carrier, let alone one with actual move speed. Also god forbid an earthgrab totem gets you, you have to hope your pet is close to kill otherwise you can't do shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazzles View Post
    I also run Demon Skin 24/7 besides this warsong brawl. It is super noticeable when you do not have this talent.

Also make you are using that healthstone. I use an Int flask in random bgs as well always.
    I cannot play without Dark Pact, saved me more times than I could possibly count.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Polyamorous View Post
    I feel okay vs most specs besides them...honestly they feel like a god damn unstoppable juggernaut right now. Ridiculous damage, good self healing, and crazy mobility. And whatever it is that keeps them from dieing at 1 hp is just so god damn annoying.

This WSG brawl has really highlighted just how horrible our mobility is for me, when any random snare means you basically you have no chance to catch any flag carrier, let alone one with actual move speed. Also god forbid an earthgrab totem gets you, you have to hope your pet is close to kill otherwise you can't do shit.
    I really wish at least one of our Dots did direct damage in the way SW P does for priests. Such a weakness for us.

Deleted
    demon skin is simply better than dark pact, its better in arenas and it gains even more value in bgs.

Deleted
    Affliction vs Shaman totem

Who wins?! Who`s next?! You decide!

Demo is the tanky one, affliction is only tanky in duels where essence drain shines.

Quote Originally Posted by nicci View Post
    Affliction vs Shaman totem

Goodnight fel flame you sweet prince

7+ Year Old Account
    So it's as I thought, it isn't tanky at all. How is that fair, since we got no mobility at all?

So it's as I thought, it isn't tanky at all. How is that fair, since we got no mobility at all?
    Blizzard doesn't care and they've proved that numerous times over the years--more so in the last couple than ever. I mean, they were all too happy to nerf Demonology by a considerable amount in Warlords of Draenor while blatantly lying to us about the reason behind the decision. They continue to strip away everything from us then hand us back bits and pieces of other failed ideas they had or give us things that are literally useless (i.e. glyphs that alter the Succubus when we never have any reason to use that particular demon). Expecting anything else at this point from them is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

The build is tanky against sustained damage .. so tickle damage .. thing is if you balance the build for arena then you get Affliction during pre launch and launch which become too much for casual BG players .. I loved aff then when we could stack Demon Skin with Sacefice Shield as well as U.Resolve for serious mitigation as well as %50 damage reduction on one target .. while this was needed against organized focused fire, in casual PvP people don't pay attention or consider when to stop damage and CC instead.

So Acti-Blizz decide they rather have affi underperforme in rated rather than overperform in casual ...

Another problem to consider is when a build over performs in casual, many start playing it, at some point blizzard steps in and addresses that ... not sure why, I think it's cool if all DPS casters played the exact same spec loool

Quote Originally Posted by nicci View Post
    Nice Epic Rap Battles of History reference. Unless you weren't referencing that and I'm just seeing things that aren't there

Quote Originally Posted by Aurae1 View Post
    Netherward
    Mages got smart and spell steal it now x_x
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself