Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post

Someone is thinking a little too highly of their product.

Blizzard in their arrogance have been jacking themselves off for quite awhile now. The WoW numbers, especially the collapsed PvP ladders and arena title fiasco bear that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Is there really that much interest in competitive OW? For me that ship sailed a quite while ago.
    There is basically no competitive OW right now, only APEX.

The big issue is Blizzard basically stopping third parties from running tournaments, but not being clear on when OWL actually starts and what the specifics are.

10+ Year Old Account
    20million is insane, especially if League really is just under 2mill considering how much more popular LoL is than, well, everything.

I was looking forward to Overwatch League. In general I'm not a huge esports fan but the idea sounded interesting and like something I would at least check out, even if it didn't hold my interest longterm. IMO Overwatch is a fun game to watch (well, less so first person style spectating but in the unlocked camera mode it is great) with bold and colourful aesthetics, fun heroes and unique gameplay. I think given that, it could do okay as an esport. But, like, okay. Not like compete-with-the-NFL level well.

If that is their starting point, I doubt this would even get off the ground.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Can someone explain it to me, like for an idiot? I don't get it, for WHAT they want 20 million dollars?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reffan View Post
    Can someone explain it to me, like for an idiot? I don't get it, for WHAT they want 20 million dollars?
    To set up a franchise/team in their area, so they can say "we are the official OWL team for London" or whatever. The 20mill would likely come from sponsorship deals for that team. This is similar to how professional sports teams work.

| twitch | bsky
    |

I watch competitive OW for fun sometimes but it's a pretty shit esport

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone on the Esports part of Blizzard(If the reporting is accurate) is thinking a bit too high.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Why exactly are people believing exact what ESPN says? These are the same guys who had commentators who were supposed to be there for Esports shitting on them LIVE!

eSports are predicted to be worth more per annum than the NFL within 5-10 years. Suddenly 20m seems like a reasonable figure

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Blizzard is either drunk or so over-the-top greedy that they think someone will pay that much.

I'm betting the latter considering their current track record.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyggalag View Post
    eSports are predicted to be worth more per annum than the NFL within 5-10 years. Suddenly 20m seems like a reasonable figure
    But they're not now, and franchise fees always can (and will be) increased as the value goes up.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    But they're not now, and franchise fees always can (and will be) increased as the value goes up.
    Sure, they're being greedy, but it's not like they won't get it

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the problem is that they might not, at least not as MANY as it would require to rival sports teams. Despite Blizzard's press rele\ease that things are moving along fine, the fact they announced OWL originally to start in early 2017 and it's now May without a peep until the articles complaining about the price seems to indicate they are having trouble getting people to buy in.

| twitch | bsky
    |

I think a lot of you are confused about how this works though.

It's not like buying something at the shop, buying one of these spots is a business deal, the entire article is weird and you shouldn't take it too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    To set up a franchise/team in their area, so they can say "we are the official OWL team for London" or whatever. The 20mill would likely come from sponsorship deals for that team. This is similar to how professional sports teams work.
    Basically imagine if the city of Los Angeles wants their official team like the Dodgers or the Rams, only with Overwatch.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Ya man blizzard has a serious problem with over pricing. But if it's for the greater good of esports I'm happy. That number just seems like an error though. Surely the team will never get 20million back from this partnership.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Good job blizz, first brood war now overcrap, good job, at least wait until the game is big enough before ruining the e-sport scene

Deleted
    the article says something you don't get revenue sharing untill 2021 for your 20m investment. by which time overwatch is likely way past it's prime or dead.

I honestly just straight up fail to see how any (group of) sponsors could possible get any RoI on this.

Not actually sure what the draw would be from as an e-sport. It really isn't that entertaining to watch. Not to mention the same old meta, balance problems, bugs, repetitive gameplay.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Overwatch has a long way to go before it's anywhere near ready.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Good job blizz, first brood war now overcrap, good job, at least wait until the game is big enough before ruining the e-sport scene
    Overwatch has been very very successful so I don't know what you're talking about saying "Overcrap"
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi