Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Diablo 3 Style Randomized Dungeons in WoW???

I think that would be the coolest thing in the world if Blizzard started creating templates for dungeons that had several "connector" pieces that could be randomly generated every time the instance was reset, including random bosses and trash like a diablo 3 style rift.

For sake of an example, Imagine going into the dungeon, Underbog and every time you go in the pathways are different and the way to get to the last boss changes each time. To me that would be a lot of fun when you don't always know what the environment is going to be like, or the pathways to get there will be like.

Also, random bosses within a "kit" of bosses. So lets say with the underbog example, the dungeon has a list of 10-15 bosses, but only 4 are presented in the dungeon at any given run, with the last boss being set as the same every time. It would bring much more variety to doing the same dungeons every day.

Lets say we get 10 new dungeons in the next expansion, and each of those dungeons essentially are "kits" that have multiple bosses per kit, and multiple but related environments per kit. So:

Dungeon 1: Could be a naga themed kit, could have 10-15 bosses, the environment could be a mix of ocean / shore / naga / murloc environments and can be called "connectors" which would essentially be corridors, pathways, etc, and the game would "build" the dungeon randomly on a set of conditions. a) must have at least 4 bosses, last boss is a set boss that never changes, must have at least 6 "connectors". You could potentially have hundreds of variations in that one dungeon and it could increase the longevity of the content and keep it feeling fresh and different all expansion long.

Would you like to see dungeons built like this in the future?
    Last edited by Jaylock; 2017-06-19 at 11:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by emilylorange View Post
    no, thank you
    Nice contribution to the thread, thanks for your detailed and informative insight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love this!

A dungeon a la Palace of the dead from FF14 would be great too.

I want Blackrock Depths length randomness, make it happen Blizzard!

There's already too much content in the game that is just lazily reused with very minor tweaks or difficult changes, I don't want more of it. There is a reason D3 is a dead game right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tier539 View Post
    There's already too much content in the game that is just lazily reused with very minor tweaks or difficult changes, I don't want more of it. There is a reason D3 is a dead game right now.
    Where are you getting your information from because each season millions of players come back to take part in the season open in Diablo 3. Or is this just blind Diablo hate?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Where are you getting your information from because each season millions of players come back to take part in the season open in Diablo 3. Or is this just blind Diablo hate?
    D3 is like your threads, old and boring

Yes please, give us random dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be interesting, maybe not for current expansion dungeons but integrate "D3 style" into Timewalking or something.

ATM dungeons are kinda ass because they're always the same, you know exactly when is the best time to pop CDs etc.
    The only issue IMO is that we're gonna go too deep into another game (welfare legendaries is already bad enough) and people will be so clueless when entering a dungeon.

Exactly what we need. A scenario that plays like a roguelite game. Great way to catch up with Heroes Of The Storm in terms of twitch viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I think that would be the coolest thing in the world if Blizzard started creating templates for dungeons that had several "connector" pieces that could be randomly generated every time the instance was reset, including random bosses and trash like a diablo 3 style rift.

For sake of an example, Imagine going into the dungeon, Underbog and every time you go in the pathways are different and the way to get to the last boss changes each time. To me that would be a lot of fun when you don't always know what the environment is going to be like, or the pathways to get there will be like.

Also, random bosses within a "kit" of bosses. So lets say with the underbog example, the dungeon has a list of 10-15 bosses, but only 4 are presented in the dungeon at any given run, with the last boss being set as the same every time. It would bring much more variety to doing the same dungeons every day.

Lets say we get 10 new dungeons in the next expansion, and each of those dungeons essentially are "kits" that have multiple bosses per kit, and multiple but related environments per kit. So:

Dungeon 1: Could be a naga themed kit, could have 10-15 bosses, the environment could be a mix of ocean / shore / naga / murloc environments and can be called "connectors" which would essentially be corridors, pathways, etc, and the game would "build" the dungeon randomly on a set of conditions. a) must have at least 4 bosses, last boss is a set boss that never changes, must have at least 6 "connectors". You could potentially have hundreds of variations in that one dungeon and it could increase the longevity of the content and keep it feeling fresh and different all expansion long.

Would you like to see dungeons built like this in the future?
    I have a feeling that this idea has already been passed around the table at some point, and what we got instead were Keystone dungeons, which IMO is a much easier content platform to implement.

Yeah this will work greatly when doing Mythic+. As one can never know the layout of a dungeon... Not.
    If not using Mythic+, then this too will be annoying. As one experiences the expansion and do several dungeons... you want to become accustomed to the layout. Mainly to be as efficient as possible. On the other hand... and I do see this as a potential boon... dungeons will always be fresh right?

If this were to happen... it should NOT be as in D3 where they say you get random dungeons... but the layout is premade and always set. So this means that if you would queue for Maw, you'll actually get the layout of BRD. "Random" in my book means that walls and whole rooms are random. Generated at the time when you enter the dungeon.

How would this work in WoW. In D3 you are looking at your character from a certain perspective and distance. In WoW this is different. And dungeons are not meant to be constructed and combined when entering a dungeon. You will get clippings and the like.

So indeed this must be applied to new dungeons.

Deleted
    I think this could be the cure for the mythic + repetitiveness. Though it would add randomness.

I would really like that because I tend to get bored of dungeon layouts after a few runs. Hence i'm not doing M+ very often.

On the other hand, such random layouts would make the creation of rankings a lot more difficult.

Deleted
    No thanks, we are already going to much into the Diablo direction.

Blood shards? Nether Shards!
    Kadala? Thaumaturge!

Rift stones? Mythic Key stones!
    Greater rift for leaderbords? Mythic + timer!

Legendaries which enable a build? Yep also in WoW!

Even farming for specific items is gone because it's all in 1 dumb chest at the end of the dungeon instead of every boss dropping some items like before.

I don't want randomized dungeons in WoW where the difficulty is dependent on even more RNG (like Diablo rifts). You get a bad layout? You're fucked and people in random groups are already terrible most of the time because they don't know what to do/where to go and this will make that even worse.

I don't want these dumb affixes either, they make the dungeons boring (for example, not allowed to AoE big packs).
    Why can't they just make mythic + about difficulty and not about dumb mechanics like quake and bursting.. just increase the damage and health and maybe add some boss mechanics? Not this shit please.

Rant over I guess

10+ Year Old Account
    It is just me, or Jaylock is seriously Activision fan boy and he try piss us off or troll us? Where is mods when they are needed?!

as long as they fix arena you can get as much fucked up timewasted PVE material you want.

How to create better dungeons middle term, but much worse ones short and long terms: literally this thread.

Using templates lowers your possibility of polishing the whole dungeon.
    The plus side would be not seeing the same dungeon in the second visit, not in the third, but in will repeat at some point. Either that or you have no idea what will happen, which lowers the possibility of polishing even more. So it will look dull at some point.

In short term you will see not so good looking/working dungeons compared to the ones we have today.
    In middle term you will see not so good looking/working dungeons, but ones you do not know completely.
    In long term you will see not so good looking/working dungeons you already know, everytime, even without having seen this exactly version. Like it is in Diablo 3

So....no, bad idea.

Deleted
    Assuming the polish is there and it actually works I would be interested in this.

You could even go further and make it Caverns of Time style, and that way you could mash up different zones and architecture.

It could even be a timed or weekly thing where you are 'chasing' a member of the infinite dragon-flight and bouncing through periods in time. That way you could kind of explain why its different every time you go in.