Deleted

Creating megathreads out of topics a way to get rid off a topic?

In the offtopic-Forum there is a "Megathread" about Gun control. Actually, before i wrote in that thread, the thread was dead, the last reader read it 06.06.2017.

From my point of view, a megathread surely is a good idea to bundle a popular topic, but in this special case if i add a post, the thread just is going back to sleep, and my try to open an actual thread with a link to actual news got closed.

I would like to suggest that a megathread only should be kept alive if it still is alive, means, if people wrote and read it in a defined amount of days. The gun control thread, for example, wasnt touched for two weeks.

It feels unfair a new topic gets closed because there is a holy necro somewhere where i could put my uninteresting comment.

Just as a thought.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-06-20 at 10:05 PM.

Deleted
    megathreads are good for certain topics, and lets take "gun control" one as an example.
    do you really think it is good for a forums health to have several different threads all started by different people all covering the same, or very similar discussions over a long period of time, with threads being necroed, or even started to discuss small changes. or do you think it is better to have the whole topic in one place where active people can discuss it in detail without having to go through several threads to see what people have said ?

Personally I am for the latter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    megathreads are good for certain topics, and lets take "gun control" one as an example.
    do you really think it is good for a forums health to have several different threads all started by different people all covering the same, or very similar discussions over a long period of time, with threads being necroed, or even started to discuss small changes. or do you think it is better to have the whole topic in one place where active people can discuss it in detail without having to go through several threads to see what people have said ?

Personally I am for the latter.
    Well, have you seen how many "immigrant"-threads have been created? Or threads about trump? Should all these threads, and in special the news about these people, also be put into megathreads?

I mean, i refered to actual news with my thread, and the megathread was not visible at all anymore, dead since weeks.

Deleted
    maybe they should.
    Or maybe, MMOC should have a dedicated Political section.

Megathreads on forums are created to kill a discussion, that's pretty obvious.

Deleted
    maybe they should.
    You mean dedicated to a political preference?

I think that would create echo chambers. As like creating a "leftpol" forum and a "rightpol" forum, where only one side talks without any controversy ever..
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-06-20 at 10:03 PM.

Deleted
    no, a dedicated section covering ALL political discussion, Be that US, Euro, UK, Russian, or even Australian (Not sure if Aus have politicans, or just a collection of Koala bears drink beer all day )

It has been suggested in the past, but for some reason, the powers that be have decided its not a good idea.

Deleted
    Well, i think it is no good idea to create 2000-page-"holy necroes" where people have to go for a specific topic.

With "holy necro" i mean a thread which is old, never visited, too large, but the only place where you may talk about a specific topic. While drowning in a very old thread thats neither read nor really used to discuss.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-06-20 at 10:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe they should.
    no, a dedicated section covering ALL political discussion, Be that US, Euro, UK, Russian, or even Australian (Not sure if Aus have politicans, or just a collection of Koala bears drink beer all day )

It has been suggested in the past, but for some reason, the powers that be have decided its not a good idea.
    You mean: http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/359-Politics ?
    Last edited by Rixis; 2017-06-20 at 10:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    No, the holy necro i talk about is in the off topic forum.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Control-Thread

This thread is 5 years old, has 2382 pages, and is being posted to 4 times a month, obviously.

Last time, before i posted, two weeks ago.

Edit: Sorry, i had the impression you asked me
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-06-20 at 10:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

But there is, in fact, a political subforum right now :O
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    But there is, in fact, a political subforum right now :O
    oh wow, thats new (to me at least!)

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe they should.
    Off-Topic is definitely very broad. It could stand to have some sub sections.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    In the offtopic-Forum there is a "Megathread" about Gun control. Actually, before i wrote in that thread, the thread was dead, the last reader read it 06.06.2017.

From my point of view, a megathread surely is a good idea to bundle a popular topic, but in this special case if i add a post, the thread just is going back to sleep, and my try to open an actual thread with a link to actual news got closed.

I would like to suggest that a megathread only should be kept alive if it still is alive, means, if people wrote and read it in a defined amount of days. The gun control thread, for example, wasnt touched for two weeks.

It feels unfair a new topic gets closed because there is a holy necro somewhere where i could put my uninteresting comment.

Just as a thought.
    There's an odd double standard with the gun control thread. Any new threads about new research concerning gun violence, usually get locked under the premise they belong under the gun control thread. Yet threads celebrating gun ownership; "look at this new gun I bought", "favorite gun", or "help me choose a new gun to buy", carry on with no locks.

Also its weird that thread about medical advice are strictly forbidden. Yet threads about acquiring dangerous firearms are not. I thought its about liability. But the current policy is inconsistent.

Another inconsistency that comes to mind. We can't talk about casual drug use, because it's "illegal in some countries or states", quoting a Mod there. Yet casual firearm ownership and usage are also illegal in some countries, but there's no prohibition on those threads.

My best guess is these inconsistent rules are about some weird intersection of gamer culture and gun culture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: Sorry, i had the impression you asked me
    I figured that might have been the case when I posted it, so I edited in the quotes to make it more clear

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe they should.
    Please find the Politics sub-forum for Off-Topic. It's right there.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    This thread is 5 years old, has 2382 pages, and is being posted to 4 times a month, obviously.
    Have you ever just considered that no one cares about your topic in the first place? Personally it seemed very boring; all you did was post a statistic and make fun of Americans.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Please find the Politics sub-forum for Off-Topic. It's right there.
    The rules specifically state its not for political discussion though, only political news.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    OK let's see if I can keep the intent of this topic going a bit with a suggestion for other parts of the forums.

How about a system to request a thread be made a Mega Thread? That way, certain common topics in high-volume forums can be centralized. For example what the next expansion may be in General WoW. Just a thought.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Megathreads are for topics that get a lot of individual threads. We get a lot of gun control threads.

The gun control megathread would not be dead if people actually posted new gun control topics in the thread. Making new threads and avoiding the megathread under the justification that the thread is dead is self defeating. Post new stuff there and it won't be dead.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |