Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[Ret] Instead of Ashbringer story (sorta spoilery)

Some one made a post in another thread about how Ashbringer was ruined when they gave it to all of us, and that they should not do the same thing by giving us similar armor to Turalyon, its too awesome...which got me thinking about what they could have done with our artifact. Let me know what you think about this, and add your own details that could have made this awesome.

Instead of Ashbringer, what our artifact could(should?) have been was a weapon related to Turalyon's disappearance, something that was found and restored to prominence...they could have made up all sorts of tidbits to make this work. A whole new story about a legendary artifact that Turalyon once wielded, but was thought to be lost when he disappeared, but was found and became our artifact. Send us to Outland in search of it, Arator coulda been involved too. Lothraxion could have been involved as we recruited him as a follower. All sorts of clues that would all make sense as we get closer to Argus and our inevitable course to find Turalyon.

Ashbringer could have had a role to play in this whole thing, since he is obviously the only Paladin around with the stature to claim it. The Ashbringer could have been used to lead us to this lost weapon, use its power to infuse our new weapon as a might weapon against the legion. Then the Ashbringer is stored in our order hall at the head of the line of statues of hero paladins of the past, constantly reminding us of the sacrifice of Tirion, but also giving us hope that we may actually find Turalyon. Obviously there is the message he sends to us through that quest line. All of this connected, giving us hope. All of this leading to us returning his artifact to him...except instead, we get to keep it.

Upon our return to Azeroth, after defeating Kiljaeden, and *forever* banishing Sargeras from existence, King Anduin(who, looks like he's ready to embrace the warrior-priest within) bestows the Ashbringer upon Turalyon, restoring the Silver Hand to greatness. And beginning his tutelage under Turalyon to become a paladin.

Oh man, I feel like this was a HUGE missed opportunity by Blizzard to make a compelling story for Ret paladins that tied into the entire story arc of the expac. What about you guys?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Deleted
    What sense would it make to have Ashbringer, one of the greatest damn weapons in creation, on display on the class hall while the legion is invading?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No thanks. I've been waiting to get my hands on the Ashbringer too long to give it up for some noname weapon.

I would say Ashkandi, but it appears to me more like a warrior weapon.
    Instead of Ashbringer though, we could have arthas 'hamner or uther 'hammer.
    We could have Glorenzelg. Feth, Might of Menethil.
    Or even a fething Cryptmaker. To go along with "Purifying all the things (looking at you dumb rivendare mount)". Imagine what a sidestory it could be. Venturing into icc, to pry it from Bollards hands, to fight our way through, to cleanse and reforge it into a weapon of Light. Haymaker. Darkbane. Greatmace of Holy deep backside Penetration.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    No thanks. I've been waiting to get my hands on the Ashbringer too long to give it up for some noname weapon.
    You would never have had it. So there would be nothing to give up in this scenario.

Giving Ashbringer to every goddamn ret paladin was a mistake. 100%.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fairchild View Post
    What sense would it make to have Ashbringer, one of the greatest damn weapons in creation, on display on the class hall while the legion is invading?
    Well, the fact that not just anyone can wield the weapon is what makes weapons in this game iconic. It takes a certain level of power. And we don't have it. Clearly. The big names of this game are far more powerful than us champions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Why does it bother you so much that players have the ashbringer? We ARE the leader of the entire paladin order now after all
    My point, if it wasn't clear, is that is not as good of a story as the one, or along the lines of the one, I'm proposing.
    Also, it bothers me becuase I care about the lore and the story. Giving iconic weapons to every hero who plays this game cheapens it.
    Last edited by Eurytos; 2017-06-30 at 06:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos View Post
    Well, the fact that not just anyone can wield the weapon is what makes weapons in this game iconic. It takes a certain level of power. And we don't have it. Clearly. The big names of this game are far more powerful than us champions.
    Right now, canonically, we're some of the strongest people on Azeroth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Sorrow View Post
    I would say Ashkandi, but it appears to me more like a warrior weapon.
    Instead of Ashbringer though, we could have arthas 'hamner or uther 'hammer.
    We could have Glorenzelg. Feth, Might of Menethil.
    Or even a fething Cryptmaker. To go along with "Purifying all the things (looking at you dumb rivendare mount)". Imagine what a sidestory it could be. Venturing into icc, to pry it from Bollards hands, to fight our way through, to cleanse and reforge it into a weapon of Light. Haymaker. Darkbane. Greatmace of Holy deep backside Penetration.
    Yeah, Ashkandi is Lothar's sword. While he was Turalyons mentor, he was indeed a warrior.

While the Arthas or Uther hammer would be a good story, and makes a lot of sense for an artifact...it doesn't really tie into the overall story of Legion and Turalyons role, which is what I was aiming for. Plus, it already exists in game...two of them in fact. But, nonetheless, I think it would have still been a better choice than to give out Ashbringer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Right now, canonically, we're some of the strongest people on Azeroth.
    Source? Blue Post?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairchild View Post
    It would have made far more sense than having every single Paladin wield the exact same weapon, all at the same time.

The Ashbringer, renowned weapon of the light, now simultaneously wielded by all 159,000 leaders of the Paladin Order.

If only Blizzard had made it so that you could only see your the Ashbringer on your own character, and had made everybody else's character would look as if they were wielding some grey vendor trash weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Source? Blue Post?
    Have you played the game? We're the leaders of our class, we have (2-4) of the most powerful weapons available to us. As paladins we have whatever the fuck Lothraxion is on our side. DH's have been acknowledged as second only to Illidan himself. Druids have been made archdruids of the vale. Rogues have been inducted into the the the League as a Shadow. DK's now are second only to the new LK, rising over the previous leader of the DK class.

I could go on and on

15+ Year Old Account
    Have you played the game? We're the leaders of our class, we have (2-4) of the most powerful weapons available to us. As paladins we have whatever the fuck Lothraxion is on our side. DH's have been acknowledged as second only to Illidan himself. Druids have been made archdruids of the vale. Rogues have been inducted into the the the League as a Shadow. DK's now are second only to the new LK, rising over the previous leader of the DK class.

I could go on and on
    You said canonically. The game is not canon. Also, even in the game, as a single hero, we are not close to the most powerful. Just start to think of any named NPC, Malfurion, Tyrande, Illidan, Turalyon, Sylvanas, Thrall, Khadgar, etc. All of these are way more powerful. Also, don't forget...we don't get to keep the artifacts. My bet is they are somehow "sacrificed"(read that as broadly as you want) in order to defeat KJ or Sarg. In the end, we don't keep them.

Point is, the game isn't canon. So, your statement is just plainly false.

10+ Year Old Account
    You said canonically. The game is not canon. Also, even in the game, as a single hero, we are not close to the most powerful. Just start to think of any named NPC, Malfurion, Tyrande, Illidan, Turalyon, Sylvanas, Thrall, Khadgar, etc. All of these are way more powerful. Also, don't forget...we don't get to keep the artifacts. My bet is they are somehow "sacrificed"(read that as broadly as you want) in order to defeat KJ or Sarg. In the end, we don't keep them.

The game is canon though. We're literally a part of the lore right now. There's 1 from every class, and aside from Mary Sue's like Thrall, and the Guardian (Khadgar) those 12 people (our characters) are on par with Malfurion and Tyrande, Illidan, et.c.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Adventurer
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/Adventurer

And while yes, we'll probably lore-wise lose the artifacts, we'll still be the champions of our class order, and generals in our factions military

15+ Year Old Account
    The game is canon though. We're literally a part of the lore right now. There's 1 from every class, and aside from Mary Sue's like Thrall, and the Guardian (Khadgar) those 12 people (our characters) are on par with Malfurion and Tyrande, Illidan, et.c.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Adventurer
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/Adventurer

And while yes, we'll probably lore-wise lose the artifacts, we'll still be the champions of our class order, and generals in our factions military
    I remain unconvinced.

The game is not canon. Who are the 12 leaders? Are they horde? Are they alliance? every boss kill is from two angles, a group of horde, and a group of alliance...which is true?

This is the fatal flaw of the theory that the game is canon. It can never be, because it can't be nailed down. It's always ambiguous, nebulous. Which by its very definition, can't be canon.

Deleted
    3 things have happened to this spec that are not negative this expansion : the Ashbringer, the class mount and the t21 mythic looks.
    And thats all. Everything else has been a pile of shit thrown on the fan.

This whole thread about us not deserving Ashbringer and it needing to be displayed in the order hall is silly. Laugh worthy, even. Hey guys the legion is invading so we're going to display the most powerful paladin weapon in our order hall collecting dust cause of reasons. Im happy that we got Ashbringer, nay, I was, and still am in awe of this blade! To give ret pallies any other weapon that wasn't ashbringer wouldn't have worked for so many reasons. If you don't want the ashbringer play another class or spec. Or mog out of it. Problem solved.

I don't normally post on forums cause I see most as cancer, but this one...just wow. From a lore prospective, Your character is the only one walking around with the Ashbringer. Seeing everyone else with it is because it is a GAME. The single player aspect is the lore part. And on the who makes up the raids in lore to kill the bosses....it is generally accepted that it is a conglomeration on who kills the boss (some horde and alliance working together for legion) Several of the books reference the game and "groups of unnamed heros" combating the forces that attack Azaroth. If you cant see past the fact that the MMO part shows a bunch of people on your screen with the same gear/weapon as you or another NPC....then maybe MMOs are not for you.

Still, it's THE Ashbringer, for gak's sake.
    Did we deserve it? I'm not entirely sure of it.
    But what I'm sure of, is Tirion Fordring did not deserve such an end. That was pathetic, uncalled for, unworthy for such a hero.
    And oh, on the blade itself is etched "over time the blade and wielder became to be known as one", which means that whoever wields the Ashbringer, is THE Ashbringer. Which therefore begs the question, where is our appropriate title?

I remain unconvinced.

The game is not canon. Who are the 12 leaders? Are they horde? Are they alliance? every boss kill is from two angles, a group of horde, and a group of alliance...which is true?

This is the fatal flaw of the theory that the game is canon. It can never be, because it can't be nailed down. It's always ambiguous, nebulous. Which by its very definition, can't be canon.
    Do you have a blue post stating the game is not canon?

Malfurion, who was defeated by a Shade of Xavius.
    Illidan, who was defeated by the group of adventures that Mehman mentioned.
    Thrall, who is just an normal orc at this point, since he has no shamanistic powers at the moment.

I don't understand what you're trying to prove here.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Sorrow View Post
    Still, it's THE Ashbringer, for gak's sake.
    Did we deserve it? I'm not entirely sure of it.
    But what I'm sure of, is Tirion Fordring did not deserve such an end. That was pathetic, uncalled for, unworthy for such a hero.
    And oh, on the blade itself is etched "over time the blade and wielder became to be known as one", which means that whoever wields the Ashbringer, is THE Ashbringer. Which therefore begs the question, where is our appropriate title?
    I think the real question is, when do we become a sword, or when do we start to identify as a sword
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2017-07-01 at 05:23 PM.

OP you forget that Turalyon has a great weapon himself, he has Lothar's broken sword. He used it to beat Doomhammer.

He doesn't need our pathetic Ashbringer when he himself has the DOOMSLAYER tm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

I think the real question is, when do we become a sword, or when do we start to identify as a sword
    I think the real answer is your attempt at being witty is not witty enough. You might wish to try again Bragg.

History won't let me lie, for Alexandros Mograine was well-known as The Ashbringer.
    Thus I beseech thou dost not make inevitably unsuccessful attempt at brandishing thine feeble wit.

Deleted
    If only Fordring would have merged with the Ashbringer, revealing that the Wake of Ashes is a path the wielder of the blade must walk until he becomes one with the collective will of those who brought Ashes before him (all two of them).

But alas. Dead to Krosus.