Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

The Texas Conundrum

All of the oil states, including Texas, recognized the fact that they need to diversify their economy, and that oil/gas alone is not sufficient. The last 5 years is proof. In 2012 during the height of the shale oil boom, Texas economy grew by 6%. In 2016 it dropped to a measly +0.4%. It was actually in negative territory in the first half of 2016. So far in 2017, the state has been struggling with +0.6 - +0.9%. For the first time in 10 years, unemployment ticked above the nation’s average.

Texas recognized this, and for more than a decade the state have been working hard at growing their green energy and high tech sectors. Rick Perry actually did a good job of that. Austin has become the high tech capital of Texas. The city is doing better than the rest of Texas. Unemployment is at 1.5% lower than the state’s average. Texas is the no. 2 State for H-1B visa arrivals.

The economic growth and diversity come at a price. As history has shown, your young affluent tech workers tend to be liberals. Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and El Paso metro areas are turning liberals. There is tension now between the state government and these liberal cities. Sometimes, over the silliest thing. Like trees.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/art...d-11261363.php

After a few more election cycles Texas will likely go blue.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the economy to keep growing, you need to attract more businesses and diversify your economy. I don't think oil will ever get back to where it was, imo.

Problem is when you have a certain side holding you back with backwards policies. In Texas's case, that is the evangelical radial right, as seen with Lt Gov Dan Patrick. The only thing keeping those loonies in check is House Speaker Joe Strauss, which of course means Abbot and Patrick are mad as hell and called a special session to try and force the issue. Doesn't help Abbot is a complete dumb fuck that thinks its ok to insult the city you're working in as a public official.

Vote out the backwards evangelicals, vote in the economic conservatives (or conservative Democrats. either or).

On this specific tree issue, I think property owners should have a bit of freedom in what they want their property to look like. If Austin wants to save some majestic trees, they need to buy those properties or designate the areas as parks. (and I LOVE how forestry Austin is. Used to live there for 14 years).

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    After a few more election cycles Texas will likely go blue.
    All the big cities are blue... they're just outnumbered and outvoted by Rural Texas

Republicans, only for "small government" when it is politically convenient.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mercane View Post
    All the big cities are blue... they're just outnumbered and outvoted by Rural Texas
    Especially when using a bit of creative gerrymandering to dilute the power of the blue areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercane View Post
    South Texas could be considered rural, and they absolutely go blue.

Also the legislature has done their damnedest to break up the blue districts to increase red districts. Hoping the USSC fixes this mess

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    All of the oil states, including Texas, recognized the fact that they need to diversify their economy, and that oil/gas alone is not sufficient.
    Aside from oil, they don't seem to have much. You can't have a thriving economic sector based on bigotry, cattle and casual racism.

(Infracted)
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-07-03 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Hoping the USSC fixes this mess
    The SCOTUS that gave us Citizens United will not fix this.

For the economy to keep growing, you need to attract more businesses and diversify your economy. I don't think oil will ever get back to where it was, imo.

Problem is when you have a certain side holding you back with backwards policies. In Texas's case, that is the evangelical radial right, as seen with Lt Gov Dan Patrick. The only thing keeping those loonies in check is House Speaker Joe Strauss, which of course means Abbot and Patrick are mad as hell and called a special session to try and force the issue. Doesn't help Abbot is a complete dumb fuck that thinks its ok to insult the city you're working in as a public official.

Vote out the backwards evangelicals, vote in the economic conservatives (or conservative Democrats. either or).

On this specific tree issue, I think property owners should have a bit of freedom in what they want their property to look like. If Austin wants to save some majestic trees, they need to buy those properties or designate the areas as parks. (and I LOVE how forestry Austin is. Used to live there for 14 years).
    I thought the tree issue is a growing indicator of tension between the state and these cities. I have done development in the past, and it is rare for a state to meddle in matter of local ordinance. Especially over such a trivial issue.

As for oil, I don’t think it will come back to $100 per barrel anymore. None of the OPEC countries want to get caught with oil in the ground when the world switch completely from fossil fuel. Sooner or later they will start pumping. The price of oil had already went down to $46 per barrel over night in June. It was all the way down to $42. The president just opened the Arctic to oil exploration. In time that will increase the oil supply.

A lot of people are ignoring the elephant in the room. You have 2/3 of the US oil reserve sitting under CA. Due to CA unique geology, extracting the oil/gas is not profitable unless the price of crude is at $72 per barrel. However, it is not going to stay like this forever. Keep in mind those shale oil were once thought to be unextractable. Then it was only profitable at $70 per barrel. Now, they can be profitable at $32 per barrel.

Also, the irony of Texas being No. 2 state destination for H-1B visa holders.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2017-07-03 at 05:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's because the socially backwards evangelicals hate non evangelicals. They want to squash them, and will use the state to do so. That's why it is imperative for us to vote them out, and I think that will happen.

Radical right are not conservatives, and aren't true Texans. They need to be taught that their " my way or we will destroy Texas" attitude is not welcome.

And doesn't surprise me when we have s growing tech sector lol. Although I'm a wee bit frustrated they kept denying me. >.>

All of the oil states, including Texas, recognized the fact that they need to diversify their economy, and that oil/gas alone is not sufficient. The last 5 years is proof. In 2012 during the height of the shale oil boom, Texas economy grew by 6%. In 2016 it dropped to a measly +0.4%. It was actually in negative territory in the first half of 2016. So far in 2017, the state has been struggling with +0.6 - +0.9%. For the first time in 10 years, unemployment ticked above the nation’s average.

Texas recognized this, and for more than a decade the state have been working hard at growing their green energy and high tech sectors. Rick Perry actually did a good job of that. Austin has become the high tech capital of Texas. The city is doing better than the rest of Texas. Unemployment is at 1.5% lower than the state’s average. Texas is the no. 2 State for H-1B visa arrivals.

The economic growth and diversity come at a price. As history has shown, your young affluent tech workers tend to be liberals. Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and El Paso metro areas are turning liberals. There is tension now between the state government and these liberal cities. Sometimes, over the silliest thing. Like trees.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/art...d-11261363.php
    Of course they are getting in to green energy; it's the greatest product on earth to sell. You get the government to pay for the equipment, and then they subsidize the sales. Ripping off the taxpayer always has been, and always will be, the single easiest way to gain wealth. Has Elon Musk ever turned an actual profit, if you account for his trillion in subsidies? He is smarter than whoever runs Ford, who is foolishly trying to make money the old fashioned way, by public choice, instead of government fiat.

That's a great point. Companies in the fossil fuel industries never get tax breaks or benefit from taxpayer money in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Of course they are getting in to green energy; it's the greatest product on earth to sell. You get the government to pay for the equipment, and then they subsidize the sales. Ripping off the taxpayer always has been, and always will be, the single easiest way to gain wealth. Has Elon Musk ever turned an actual profit, if you account for his trillion in subsidies? He is smarter than whoever runs Ford, who is foolishly trying to make money the old fashioned way, by public choice, instead of government fiat.
    You are missing the point of my post. The point is states need to have diversified economy. Green energy is just one of them. The irony is the oil/gas states (mostly red) are turning blue from economic diversification.

If you think that states can stay economically viable just from oil/gas, you are sorely mistaken. Here are some examples.

Alaska economy grew 5.3% in 2012, and decrease -3.3%, +0.6%, -5% in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

North Dakota economy grew 22% in 2012, and decrease -3.3%, -3.1%, -6.5% in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

These are the extreme states, but the list goes on. Unless they diversify, these states will drag down US economy. You can forget the President’s 3% annual growth goal. It does not look like TX is going to hit 1% annual growth this year.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    That's a great point. Companies in the fossil fuel industries never get tax breaks or benefit from taxpayer money in any way.
    LOL. Shh, don't tell him about the past 100 years of fossil fuel subsidization and worship by both federal and state actions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    LOL. Shh, don't tell him about the past 100 years of fossil fuel subsidization and worship by both federal and state actions.
    Jokes on him anyways: most of the solar and wind diversification is privately funded.

In addition to missing the point, since Texas is also becoming a booming tech and medicine hub

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Aside from oil, they don't seem to have much. You can't have a thriving economic sector based on bigotry, cattle and casual racism.
    Putinista talking out of their ass again I see.

Jokes on him anyways: most of the solar and wind diversification is privately funded.

In addition to missing the point, since Texas is also becoming a booming tech and medicine hub
    It is funny that the state government is so hostile toward Austin. While TX economy only grew by 0.4% in 2016, Austin grew by 5%. Second only to San Jose, CA. Without these outposts of liberalism, TX economy would have had a negative growth in 2015 and 2016.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is funny that the state government is so hostile toward Austin. While TX economy only grew by 0.4% in 2016, Austin grew by 5%. Second only to San Jose, CA. Without these outposts of liberalism, TX economy would have had a negative growth in 2015 and 2016.
    Culture war. I never noticed this until Perry / Abbot, and i think that coincides with the rise of the Tea Party and the radical right.

So ultimately there's going to be a decision. Will the economic conservatives side with the evangelicals / rad righters and make Texas less economically viable? or will The evangelicals / rad righters wear out their welcome and the people of Texas tell them to "fuck off"? 2018 will answer a lot of that. If Abbot / Patrick are re-elected, I think Texas will obviously decline more because economics are clearly not their top concern (hello, special session to address bathroom bill!).

Deleted
    well, Austin seems to be populated with those special kinds of 'liberals' that doesn't respect property rights.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to let you in on a little secret, most green subsidies are in fact hidden ones, primarily relating to preferential electricity rates.