Tips for brewmaster on H Avatar

Hey everyone. My guild is currently working on downing H Avatar. I'm tanking it and feeling *way* squishier than I'd like. The other fights all have "down" or low damage time for each tank so you can build your resources back up. But Maiden and Avatar both do so much damage that there is no down time.

What talent builds and strats are you guys using to deal with this fight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Post ya damn armory

Wear stagger ring if you have it. Use HT and LB for a consistent flow of brews. Make sure your BoF is always hitting both targets to give you 60+% dodge per use, make sure you're hitting BoS on cd as much as possible for the same reason. You should be dodging the vast majority of hits on this fight, purifying after eating desolates, and HT/ring makes what hits do get through very, very smooth to manage.

As a brewmaster myself I feel a lot more sturdier than my DK and DH co-tanks on Avatar. Don't know what exactly you're talking about. Boss hits hard, maiden hits almost as hard as him on high energy.

The only thing that I can expect you doing wrong is purifying too much. Let the damage stack more and dont purify low-red damage. It's kinda normal sitting on ~100% damage stagger for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jadedfuture View Post
    Post ya damn armory
    At work and can't access Armory to link it. My monk is Utred on Proudmoore US.

You are never going to be topped on this fight. Even now in a 10/10 M 5/9 M guild with some great healers, I still feel squishy, but that is nothing compared to what can happen to other tanks on this fight who can easily just fall over in half a second of they mess up. This shit just plain hits hard man. Try to not purify too much, should only ever really need to after a desolate, try to hit both avatar and maiden with BoF to maximize EB stacks. If you still fell kinda squishy, use HT over BoC, and if you have 4 piece tier 20 you can consider using GotM, although personally I still find BoB to be better and more of a safe option, but it takes more to manage.

Legendaries for this fight in terms of defensive effectiveness are (IMO)

Chest if you can reliably hit maiden and avatar with every BoF cast.
    Stagger ring.
    AHR/dodge bracers.
    Gai Plin's.
    Shoulders/boots.
    Other.

Edit: Don't know why someone brought up a post from a month ago but apparently I posted this one on the wrong thread.
    Last edited by dhays; 2017-08-03 at 04:37 PM.

So this is your log
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...done&source=15

You're not pressing your buttons enough, it's a 1 second gcd class and it's pretty much gcd locked:
    -Assuming with your haste your keg smash cd is above 7 seconds, if you press it every 8 seconds you should get 56 when you get 39, that's a huge amount of brews you're just not getting, it's the same for blackout strike you don't get close to what you could, that's a lot of non dodged hits, missing a few breath of fire resulting in only 58% uptime on the debuff, again a lot of passive mitigation down the drain
    -You're equiping 2 on use trinkets and not using them at all, you'd actually get a lot of selfhealing from it and stabilise way easier, you could also just swap to a passive trinket like the darkmoon card that you can't forget to use but is also just better
    -You're going for a lot of mastery, this is not efficient especially because of the poor rotation, almost all your secondaries are sinked into mastery yet you dodge only 52% of the hits, that's not efficient, versatility is a better stat
    -Your poor rotation is creating a poor brew gen and you're barely purifying at all and worse, dropping ironskin brew which makes you a tanking windwalker

So yeah the core issue isn't stats or strat it's basic gameplay, this boss isn't really threatening for monks assuming your healers are positionned to heal you at all time
    Last edited by Mokuna; 2017-07-11 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokuna View Post
    So this is your log
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...done&source=15

You're not pressing your buttons enough, it's a 1 second gcd class and it's pretty much gcd locked:
    -Assuming with your haste your keg smash cd is above 7 seconds, if you press it every 8 seconds you should get 56 when you get 39, that's a huge amount of brews you're just not getting, it's the same for blackout strike you don't get close to what you could, that's a lot of non dodged hits, missing a few breath of fire resulting in only 58% uptime on the debuff, again a lot of passive mitigation down the drain
    -You're equiping 2 on use trinkets and not using them at all, you'd actually get a lot of selfhealing from it and stabilise way easier, you could also just swap to a passive trinket like the darkmoon card that you can't forget to use but is also just better
    -You're going for a lot of mastery, this is not efficient especially because of the poor rotation, almost all your secondaries are sinked into mastery yet you dodge only 52% of the hits, that's not efficient, versatility is a better stat
    -Your poor rotation is creating a poor brew gen and you're barely purifying at all and worse, dropping ironskin brew which makes you a tanking windwalker

So yeah the core issue isn't stats or strat it's basic gameplay, this boss isn't really threatening for monks assuming your healers are positionned to heal you at all time
    Thanks for the input. I'm a backup tank, not a main tank, so my Brewmaster is no wear near as good as it could be. That is a large part of why my statting is so off as well.

As far as the on use trinkets, I generally save them for "oh shit" moments, which lead to me not using them on a lot of pulls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PraisCthulhu View Post
    Hey everyone. My guild is currently working on downing H Avatar. I'm tanking it and feeling *way* squishier than I'd like. The other fights all have "down" or low damage time for each tank so you can build your resources back up. But Maiden and Avatar both do so much damage that there is no down time.

What talent builds and strats are you guys using to deal with this fight?
    Pretty much every tank feels squishy in that fight. I've tanked it on my BDK, Monk and VDH and the BDK felt the best followed by Monk and then VDH. But successfully downed him with those 3 tanks.

As a BrM, don't be afraid to not Purify as soon as you hit red stagger. Make sure you look at the number of stagger damage you have built up instead of just being red. If you're taking in 600k per tick, you can afford to wait a bit or else you won't have enough charges to keep up ISB.

On KJ I Purify at around 1-1.2 mill DPS stagger and it works fine (it also builds up to 1m DPS by the second claw or so).
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Pretty much every tank feels squishy in that fight. I've tanked it on my BDK, Monk and VDH and the BDK felt the best followed by Monk and then VDH. But successfully downed him with those 3 tanks.

As a BrM, don't be afraid to not Purify as soon as you hit red stagger. Make sure you look at the number of stagger damage you have built up instead of just being red. If you're taking in 600k per tick, you can afford to wait a bit or else you won't have enough charges to keep up ISB.

On KJ I Purify at around 1-1.2 mill DPS stagger and it works fine (it also builds up to 1m DPS by the second claw or so).
    Unless you're bear with a strong cooldown for every claws and bristling fur being insane here giving you pretty much unlimited rage during the burst.

Stagger ticks are 0.5 tho, not 1 sec

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post

"I purify at 1.2 million DPS stagger but don't purify at 600k a tick".

600k a tick is 1.2 million DPS stagger. If you're going to give advice a good first step would not be saying contradictory things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    "I purify at 1.2 million DPS stagger but don't purify at 600k a tick".

600k a tick is 1.2 million DPS stagger. If you're going to give advice a good first step would not be saying contradictory things.
    Wow, are you that butt hurt that you're now scrolling through all my posts to shit post on me? How sad and hilarious at the same time.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Going to echo the guy that reviewed your log. Also your DPS is SUPER low at 275k, you should be parsing double.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
    Going to echo the guy that reviewed your log. Also your DPS is SUPER low at 275k, you should be parsing double.
    So he was not using black out combo and he did not have the chest or the shoulders. I think he can do better damage wise for the reasons talked about above, but perhaps doubling it is a little too optimistic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dhays View Post
    Honestly, I didn't feel squishy at all when I killed it last night. I run Prydaz/stagger ring as well as Darkmoon deck and stam trinket (don't have a good def trinket since I'm back up tank and a DPS main). Yes I did go low at certain points but it didn't feel "squishy" since I knew I had tons of orbs to insta use and I went low on purpose to use them even though I had some defensive CDs available.

I found the key was to ask my healers to heal me less and not top me off so I could make sure I actually used the 5% stagger clear from my 4 piece effectively by walking over the orbs during fel claws and purifying only after the third and fifth. If for some reason you still have a high stagger amount I found I had another one come up shortly you purify the 5th fel claws if you use keg smash on CD. The only time I felt like I needed to use something else was during P3 in which case I used my on use stam trinket, dampen harm, or FB to help mitigate damage.

During fel claws you should only have to worry about purifying brew as you can go into fel claws with about 12-13 sec on ISB and if the other tank does his job and taunts on time you don't need more than that entering fel claws.

I did notice that I run a little more vers/haste than you do and little less mastery. I'm not sure how big of a deal that is though.
    "Tips for brewmaster on H Avatar" ??

But the first part makes sense for both fights

Quote Originally Posted by Vinniel View Post
    "Tips for brewmaster on H Avatar" ??

But the first part makes sense for both fights
    Oops. There was another post asking about KJ around the same time. Thought i as in that one. Completely forgot about this post.