Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    If you can only play 2 characters, play quickplay until you lerarn more, that's what it's there for... You don't go into competitive and drag other people down.
    You're not dragging others down if they're placed at the same rank with you. They dragged themselves down there.

Also as Jessicka pointed out, you can easily stick to 2-3 characters, especially if they're a support or tank since people are generally glad to have them.

That being said, I can only wait to see if this starts banning people for playing Mercy. Then I would say that's proof this system is busted. If the guy in the OP intentionally did it, then it's his fault.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Good.

If a player can only play 2 characters, they really have no business playing comp whatsoever. It demands a
    great deal more flexibility.
    It's not that I can only play 2 characters, it's that I really only enjoy 2 characters. Why should I play things I don't enjoy under fear of getting banned. It's not like the 2 characters I play aren't good or wanted often anyway.

Edit- before you ask, I main Ana and Reinhardt.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2017-07-26 at 06:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You're not dragging others down if they're placed at the same rank with you. They dragged themselves down there.

Also as Jessicka pointed out, you can easily stick to 2-3 characters, especially if they're a support or tank since people are generally glad to have them.

That being said, I can only wait to see if this starts banning people for playing Mercy. Then I would say that's proof this system is busted. If the guy in the OP intentionally did it, then it's his fault.
    Hell, here's my time played this season;

So not a one-trick, but I'm pretty obviously a Zen main, with some significant Lucio swapping depending on enemy comp and the map. That I have tiny amounts of playtime as other heroes represents the handful of matches where two healers locked in before I did, so I filled whatever we needed; Soldier's highest because I'm okay with him and he's almost always a solid pick for offense, with Pharah second because at my rank, people still sometimes don't counter her.

I've never had anyone complain that I was "throwing". I sometimes get a request to play something else, particularly if the other healer also mains Zen/Lucio, and that's why I have some small Mercy and Ana time. I don't think I'd have ever gotten a report over someone saying I was "throwing" or "playing a wrong pick".

Does that mean I'm a slave to the meta? Nope. I've been maining Zen since before the shift to Zen started to happen in the meta; my time was roughly swapped last season when I mained Lucio, but I was getting better luck climbing as Zen; my choice wasn't meta-based.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    It's not that I can only play 2 characters, it's that I really only enjoy 2 characters. Why should I play things I don't enjoy under fear of getting banned. It's not like the 2 characters I play aren't good or wanted often anyway.

Edit- before you ask, I main Ana and Reinhardt.
    Not sure I've ever seen someone complain about someone playing Ana. Rein may not be ideal for some Attack comps, but he's almost never a BAD pick either.

What do you do if two other players lock in Ana/Rein first, though? Or two other healers/tanks? Do you rage and demand you play them? Do you throw because fuck it? Do you insist on playing what you want to play, even if you didn't lock in fast enough? If you adapt, then you're not a one-trick.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    What do you do if two other players lock in Ana/Rein first, though? Or two other healers/tanks? Do you rage and demand you play them? Do you throw because fuck it? Do you insist on playing what you want to play, even if you didn't lock in fast enough? If you adapt, then you're not a one-trick.
    I choose randomly and just take it from there. Also I never said I was a one-trick. I just said I only enjoy playing those 2 characters. If they get insta-locked well I don't intentionally throw. But If I get either one of them which I generally do, I don't change from them if people ask me to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    That's because you're playing support. Support and tank heroes rarely get any toxicity towards them. If you played Hanzo, Widowmaker, Torbjörn or Sombra you'd probably be reported a lot.
    One of my constant complaints about the state of the game is that we don't have enough Support heroes. We need at LEAST two more, and ideally 3-4. If we add any more of other hero types, those numbers would go up; this is based on pre-Doomfist hero ratios. Healers aren't expected to swap because other healer heroes generally aren't going to be any better, outside of some pretty niche circumstances/strategies.

The reason people complain about Hanzo, Widow, and Torb instalocks is because all three are situational, and often, the situation doesn't support them. So you're hamstringing yourself, and the team by extension, by taking them. This is exacerbated because DPS heroes (Offense and Defense) are the ones with the most flexibility and the least adaptibility; they are mostly pretty specifically suited to a task, where healers are all fairly generic and even tanks are usually decent at a bunch of stuff. For instance, if the enemy team has a Pharah, and your DPS are playing Reaper, Junkrat, and Mei, you're gonna have a bad time. Instalocking your hero and refusing to swap to counter the enemy team's Pharah will likely cost you the match. The tank and healer players can't really swap to handle it, without abandoning their role completely, and the DPS aren't going to swap to fill it, or they'd have swapped to take out Pharah. So the match limps along trying to handle an unbalanced comp, because the DPS players won't play their role properly.

If healers had the same counterplay, I'd recommend the same thing there, but they don't. Until they do, that won't change.

In short, it basically comes down to some DPS players essentially saying they'd rather lose playing Widowmaker (or whatever) than try and win playing another hero. That's not good teamwork.

YOU won't get banned for playing characters that others don't want you to. You can be banned if someone asks you to swap and you tell them to suck a dick.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

This thread is why I don't play competitively in E-Sports type games/activities.

I just want to have fun playing what I am comfortable with, is that too much to ask?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    Because fuck you new OW players right? Be able to play all or gtfo from my game eh? Jesus this elitist mentality.... lower ELO exist for a reason....
    First of all, learn to read. Its absolutely essential, so you don't make a fool of yourself.

Secondly, I said only "COMP", i.e., "COMPETITIVE."

Competitive DEMANDS players be able to communicate well, have a general level of skill,
    and have a knowledge of the maps as well as character strengths & weaknesses. Players
    that are lacking in either are going to have difficulty in the game, and players who are
    not capable of playing a role that is needed, is little more than a detriment, burden, etc
    to the team.

This isn't just my opinion, its an opinion shared by anyone who plays anything competitive.
    If you main one hero and one hero only, you have no business playing Comp. Comp has a
    purpose/goal, and that's to climb the ranks. As the saying goes, "you are only as strong as
    your weakest link." If someone is incapable of playing all three roles, then they do NOT
    belong in Competitive. They cannot climb with just one character. Even pros know when to
    swap roles when they need to, and even they have hours on other characters.

Seriously, there are characters that are made completely for beginners. For dps, its Soldier
    76, for healers is Lucio, and for tanks its Reinhardt. There's no excuse for no one not being
    able to at least play either one.

Now for Arcade Mode, Quick Play, VS. A.I., or any PvE events? You're free to play whoever.

Because its those "I only main X" that end up fucking over not just me, but other people on
    this forum as well as other players. And that is completely 100% selfish. If you cannot meet
    the demands of a certain mode, then you have no right to play it. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    It's not that I can only play 2 characters, it's that I really only enjoy 2 characters.
    Hey that's fine. I really enjoy playing mostly Defense heroes. But I know that the characters there
    aren't always the best choices depending on the comp the enemy has. And I can't just tell my
    teammates,

"Hey I only play X, so if they're countering me, you guys gotta protect/heal/swap to counter
    them."

That right there? That's fucking selfish. Its also a huge detriment to the team. Because now they have
    to work even harder to carry you because you aren't able to do much since the enemy team is having
    a field day wrecking your shit. You are now for all intents and purposes, a handicap.

So if your team loses, guess what? You're to blame, and they're right in blaming you.

Why should I play things I don't enjoy under fear of getting banned. It's not like the 2 characters
    I play aren't good or wanted often anyway.
    I think I've answered your question in this response.

I main Ana and Reinhardt
    For the most part, most people won't complain for those two, because they're generally good picks.
    However, even those two can face opponents that shut them down, and its still necessary to know
    another character to help either neutralize the enemy team's hero picks, or to help remove the
    advantage the enemy hero has on you.

Keep in mind, I'm not advocating for you to get specifically banned. I am merely saying that
    just saying "I only play X" is a selfish mindset and action in that of itself, and in competitive,
    it absolutely is the cause of a lot of toxicity and especially a lot of losses, which causes the
    toxicity in the first place.
    Last edited by ThatsOurEric; 2017-07-27 at 12:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Regardless, I don't think it's reasonable to be banned for just playing the game and picking any of the 24 heroes within the game. I have about 5 heroes I feel comfortable playing but some people might have more, some might have less, and you shouldn't be punished for sticking within your comfort zone. I've seen players who has played 99.9% Genji for example.

On the other hand if it's deliberate in order to destroy the experience for the rest of the team then it's a totally different matter.
    My point isn't really that someone being one-trick being automatically "bad". The issue springs up in solo queue when you get 2-3 one-tricks at the same time, and their hero choice is niche. I had a match the other night where we had Hanzo, Widow, and Genji insta-lock. Genji wasn't a one-trick; he swapped to Junkrat for Defense. They were each okay with their hero, but rigidly unwilling to not play them, meaning we had no chance of getting a second tank, unless we went for a solo healer. The only saving grace was the enemy team was generally even worse, and didn't play to counter us very well. They ran a Winston, but once we got in the habit of focusing him (zen discords helping), we could neutralize him quickly enough, and his team wasn't really backing him up a lot of the time.

It was a tight win, but it could've been an easy win, and was VERY close to being a loss.

Deleted
    Hell, here's my time played this season;

So not a one-trick, but I'm pretty obviously a Zen main, with some significant Lucio swapping depending on enemy comp and the map.
    not one-trick?

here is mine last season, not played so much this season:

you barely play anything else than two heroes!
    Last edited by mmocb949c9f970; 2017-07-27 at 01:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I need more info than a reddit troll to really judge how much better/worse the new system will be. After 100 reports in a brief period of time, they lose the benefit of the doubt with me. I really don't think that someone not switching is really going to get them banned alone, being toxic to people that ask you to switch probably would do it though. As long has some kind of verification takes place prior to punishment being issued, I don't see using this function for evil as being a major concern, especially if it takes 100 reports. Really depends on how good they are at banning people who submit false reports.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    This thread is why I don't play competitively in E-Sports type games/activities.

I just want to have fun playing what I am comfortable with, is that too much to ask?
    play quickplay and not comp then

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't read it all, but people playing Torbjörn, Bastion, Hanzo, Widow or Sombra in competitive has nothing to do there anyway. Good riddence.

Quote Originally Posted by rad586 View Post
    The system is less than perfect atm, true.

But this guy had it coming.
    From what I'm reading in that reddit thread the guy in question played Torb and Sombra despite being asked to switch to other chars. Apparently for a long time, 100 reports ? Jesus.

That's at least 20 games, assuming every other team member reported him every time.
    I'm sorry, but that is a broken system. The guy should be allowed to play what he enjoys most. Its not his fault blizzard cannot properly balance them all so they can all be played well. He shouldn't be punished because people reported him because he dared to play what he enjoyed.

I can get that playing a character may hinder a team horribly, but that speaks more towards blizzards failures at balance and less towards the players. Glad I haven't bought this game. No way would I want to play a game that can get me banned Just because I dare to play what I enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

15+ Year Old Account
    In short, it basically comes down to some DPS players essentially saying they'd rather lose playing Widowmaker (or whatever) than try and win playing another hero. That's not good teamwork.
    That's pretty much /thread, as far as I'm concerned.

If you're playing off-meta, fine, there are times when it can work. If it isn't working, and you aren't contributing, then switch. Switching heroes is an integral part of the game.

Refusing to switch when you're dragging your team down with your pick is poor teamwork.

Stop being selfish. This is a team game. If you don't want to be a team player, go play elimination or custom games or whatever, not competitive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dream View Post
    not one-trick?

here is mine last season, not played so much this season:

you barely play anything else than two heroes!
    One-trick means you play ONE hero. I have about a 70/30 split between two. So I have a main, but I'm not one-trick.

Also, there's REALLY vanishingly few matches where 2 other support healers show up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I can get that playing a character may hinder a team horribly, but that speaks more towards blizzards failures at balance and less towards the players. Glad I haven't bought this game. No way would I want to play a game that can get me banned Just because I dare to play what I enjoy.
    You can switch heroes at any time, and counterpicking is an integral part of game design. Each hero has counters, and you need to adjust your team comp accordingly.

If someone is playing competitive, they're expected to pick and switch heroes as needed to help support their team. If someone refuses to switch off of a hero that is poorly suited to the situation (IE playing Torbjorn or Widow on attack, which is usually an ineffective strategy) then they're negatively impacting five other players for their own personal enjoyment.

This selfish "I can do whatever I want, fuck my team" attitude has no place in a team oriented game, and definitely shouldn't be accepted behavior in ranked competitive play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    You can switch heroes at any time, and counterpicking is an integral part of game design. Each hero has counters, and you need to adjust your team comp accordingly.

If someone is playing competitive, they're expected to pick and switch heroes as needed to help support their team. If someone refuses to switch off of a hero that is poorly suited to the situation (IE playing Torbjorn or Widow on attack, which is usually an ineffective strategy) then they're negatively impacting five other players for their own personal enjoyment.

This selfish "I can do whatever I want, fuck my team" attitude has no place in a team oriented game, and definitely shouldn't be accepted behavior in ranked competitive play.
    The problem becomes when a character or two has So many counters and very few situations where they are good in. I can understand that competitive play is a bit more restricting, but it shouldn't be so restricting that someone could possibly find all of their favorite characters at a disadvantage in nearly any situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post

It's a shame the game doesn't allow you to invite people you like playing with to a friends list and then filling your entire team with friends and playing comp that way. Real shame. I mean with that you could control the environment of who you play with but nah, Blizzard is too stupid to add a friends list function, all there is is the random group button.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

I've seen far too many League threads about unjust bans, only for a CS rep to come out and post some super toxic chat logs. I won't believe the system is broken just because it banned someone and they cry about it.