Page 11 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    The Constitution class ships were first launched in the 2240's. The Enterprise was launched in 2245. So even the first ones would most likely still be under construction.
    If Discovery takes place only 5 years before Kirk took command of the Enterprise, then the ship would still be around and captained by either Pike or April. So yes, if Discovery actually took place in the prime universe, we would very likely see at least one. We shall see if we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    If Discovery takes place only 5 years before Kirk took command of the Enterprise, then the ship would still be around and captained by either Pike or April. So yes, if Discovery actually took place in the prime universe, we would very likely see at least one. We shall see if we do.
    Read my edited post above.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: Discovery is actually set 10 years before Kirk set out on his five year mission, which was from 2265-2270. So this means Discovery begins in 2255. So there would have been a few Constitution class ships running around, but they would not have been a very common sight. Even as late as 2267, there were only ~12 in service.
    Starfleet wasn't as big in TOS and pre-TOS... so we'd see them... unless Discovery is on independent ops for the show's run. But the show just doesn't look like it takes place in the prime universe anyway. This looks more like the Abrams universe.

I will never understand how Vulcans can speak perfect English, but every other character that comes from a different country on Earth must have some over powering accent.

We get it, you are different.

Aren't they supposed to have universal translators or something?

Pretty fucking cringe dialogue and useless characters.

Does that idiot not know how to walk around a planet without looking at stars?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    I will never understand how Vulcans can speak perfect English, but every other character that comes from a different country on Earth must have some over powering accent.
    The Cardassians, Dominion races, Klingons, Romulans, Betazoids, Trills and Bajorans didn't have accents...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Funny you say that when TNG was very different from TOS and DS9 was very different then TNG. So what you're saying is all you really want is nostalgia.
    There is a huge difference between TNG being a completely new era and looking different and STD being in a established era that it doesn't look like it even remotely belongs to.

- - - Updated - - -

The Constitution class ships were first launched in the 2240's. The Enterprise was launched in 2245. So even the first ones would most likely still be under construction.

Edit: Discovery is actually set 10 years before Kirk set out on his five year mission, which was from 2265-2270. So this means Discovery begins in 2255. So there would have been a few Constitution class ships running around, but they would not have been a very common sight. Even as late as 2267, there were only ~12 in service.
    And that excuses that the two new starships we've seen don't look anything like the Connie or hell even the NX class at all? One looks like a horrible klingon hybrid and the other looks like something you'd see in the TNG era or later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    They put out another trailer.

Just as unpopular as the last one.

Really sad, when this flops they will probably kill the franchise for another decade or two.
    Exactly...this feels like this is what *they* want Trek to be...like it's going to be *Their Trek or no Trek*

The Cardassians, Dominion races, Klingons, Romulans, Betazoids, Trills and Bajorans didn't have accents...
    I am assuming that was because of the universal translators though.

They weren't actually all speaking English.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am assuming that was because of the universal translators though.
    You were saying that Vulcans were the only Star Trek races that didn't have accents. Which ones did have accents? I can't think of a single one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see more documentaries made by Axanar Productions. To me, Prelude To Axanar was a lot closer to actual Star Trek than what I've seen so far from Discovery...

I'd like to see more documentaries made by Axanar Productions. To me, Prelude To Axanar was a lot closer to actual Star Trek than what I've seen so far from Discovery...

Unfortunately, CBS threw a sissy fit and sent the Axanar people a cease and desist order, so all you'll get is the prelude right there.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    So my guess, and certainly from not a person that's big on canon or recalls a lot of TOS well, is that these are the ridgeless Klingons, exiled for some reason, and Discovery stirs them back up and they will be the series Borg or Dominion as they impact the Klingon empire, sort of closing the loop on all of that and linking back to TOS Klingons.

I'm not sure if this is the JJverse, but as I recall didn't Nero go back a long time, more than 10 years before kirk and spock's time, unless this is putting us into "what did Nero really do" territory, where things he messed up are actually the big reveal. I hope not as I'm not a big fan of prequels and making one's way to a known conclusion, I prefer blazing the trail where the audience doesn't know how things end up, except perhaps in the vaguest sense (i.e. federation survives).

However, I too want to see more than the same old races we're used to. All the stuff ENT did with the Andorians I thought was great, ditto for the Cardassians and Bajorans (and even the Ferrengi) in DS9. The borg in voyager.... meh, and otherwise they didn't spend as much time as I would have liked on many races they encountered. I'd love to see more emphasis put on the non-humanoid/non-mammal races like the Gorn, or even give us a fleshed out insectoid race. Problem is that CGI costs $$$, and I don't have the faith that CBS will dump a lot into the budget.
    its not jj canon, its normal canon. His bullshit didnt happen with kirks dad in discoverys timeline. Just ignore jj abrams movies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    There is a huge difference between TNG being a completely new era and looking different and STD being in a established era that it doesn't look like it even remotely belongs to.

- - - Updated - - -

And that excuses that the two new starships we've seen don't look anything like the Connie or hell even the NX class at all? One looks like a horrible klingon hybrid and the other looks like something you'd see in the TNG era or later.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly...this feels like this is what *they* want Trek to be...like it's going to be *Their Trek or no Trek*
    this is what we get when people didnt support enterprise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Why do reboots always have to ruin what we loved and cherished?

Some big wigs thinks they can do better or they think it should be what *they* like and not what it was...so they butcher it and we get something like this.

A show that pisses all over canon and is basically rewriting history...
    Oh stop moaning. Some people like it, some don't. Just because some loudmouths on the internet don't like it, it doesn't mean nobody likes it. I personally love a lot of reboots, be it in games, movies or series.

I've been a fan of the franchise since I was a kid and guess what, Enterprise is my favorite one ...

Last edited by mmoc56c829a066; 2017-07-30 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    Oh stop moaning. Some people like it, some don't. Just because some loudmouths on the internet don't like it, it doesn't mean nobody likes it. I personally love a lot of reboots, be it in games, movies or series.
    Just because you liked it, doesn't mean everybody liked it.

Enterprise was cancelled for a reason, i.e. that it wasn't popular enough. Though to be fair, I do think that the last season made up for a lot and it was moving in a much better direction than s1/s2 which were both fairly terrible.

Anyway, we'll see how it turns out but I would not at all be surprised if it flopped, hard. I am always willing to be pleasantly surprised, of course. It's just that experience has taught me to expect the worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Unfortunately, CBS threw a sissy fit and sent the Axanar people a cease and desist order, so all you'll get is the prelude right there.
    No, they're still doing Axanar. However, I really liked this documentary style format. I think if they'd stuck to that, CBS would have been fine.

I was never a "trekkie," was never really into any of the shows though I did follow Voyager for a long while. (Jeri Ryan's intro kept me going for a year before I dropped it though)
    I have to admit though I am intrigued.
    And Michelle Yeoh was an inspired choice to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Just because you liked it, doesn't mean everybody liked it.

Enterprise was cancelled for a reason, i.e. that it wasn't popular enough. Though to be fair, I do think that the last season made up for a lot and it was moving in a much better direction than s1/s2 which were both fairly terrible.

Anyway, we'll see how it turns out but I would not at all be surprised if it flopped, hard. I am always willing to be pleasantly surprised, of course. It's just that experience has taught me to expect the worst.
    Enterprise also suffered from the whole "lets put it on a new unique channel" to push views to that new platform but then things happened (sound familiar). Like a lot of people didn't even get UPN so they couldn't watch it (cable TV and the internet were different beasts then). Then the first season or two were just dreadful so the people that did get UPN got the word out. I mean some episodes were seriously just standing around chatting about how humans stink to Vulcans or something and arguing about who gets to name a comet or something. Had a few gems but to few and far between. The last season or two really did the whole series a lot more justice because it push the exploration, discovery, and had some action baked in as well (at least beyond who took my lunch money crap). Not to mention gave the whole show historical perspective. Sadly by then most of the core audience was done with it thanks to the front half of the show and the diminished viewing power of UPN already limiting the audience. Not to mention we had just gotten off the 90s that were filled with Star Trek. Three TV shows that were good for the most part and some pretty bad movies (TGN Movies weren't great). The world had some Trek fatigue, of course not its core beloved fans, but any franchise needs support beyond the base to earn the money studios crave.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I was never a "trekkie," was never really into any of the shows though I did follow Voyager for a long while. (Jeri Ryan's intro kept me going for a year before I dropped it though)
    I have to admit though I am intrigued.
    And Michelle Yeoh was an inspired choice to me.
    So inspired that she is in just the pilot.......

So inspired that she is in just the pilot.......
    No!
    ...well, so much for that.

Maybe they'll give me a reason to continue...but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Enterprise also suffered from the whole "lets put it on a new unique channel" to push views to that new platform but then things happened (sound familiar). Like a lot of people didn't even get UPN so they couldn't watch it (cable TV and the internet were different beasts then).

The world had some Trek fatigue, of course not its core beloved fans, but any franchise needs support beyond the base to earn the money studios crave.
    The UPN thing was a problem but it showed the same downward trend in viewership that DS9 and VOY had unfortunately. I think fatigue might be the best explanation. Although if VOY and ENT were better shows ratings might've been better.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No!
    ...well, so much for that.

Maybe they'll give me a reason to continue...but I doubt it.
    She was awesome in the movies I have seen, maybe they didn't have enough money for to pay her as a series star?