The Dark Tower - 3/10
    I really wanted to like this movie as I am enjoying the books. I also really want to see it turned into a TV series. I found some scenes, creatures, and characters to be very good at times but this movie as a whole is pretty bad. I would have much preferred a western style movie based on The Gunslinger book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pleasantly surprised by "Valerian, and the city of a thousand planets" a silly, funny, beautiful film about two deeply, deeply terrible people who somehow manage to do good things.

Visually, it was the best film this year. Everything from the costumes, to the aliens and particularly the landscapes are stunningly good, I can see why this film is compared to Avatar... except the plot is a bit better in this.

Plot wise, a little weak. Kinda generic, but not offputtingly so, with just enough world building and insight to cover the slight lack of originality.

Acting... was actually pretty good. Valerian was a bit weak, but acceptable, and Laureline was solid, with the big surprise being Rihanna's "Bubbles" who stands out as probably the only genuinely likeable character in the whole film. (plus, that dance!)

All told, a solid 7.5/10 worth seeing in the cinema, and I'm strongly considering picking it up once it's released... but probably not on day one.
    Last edited by Gallahadd; 2017-08-04 at 11:58 PM.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Watched Warcraft again yesterday. I wanted it to be so much more than it was...

7 / 10

Wish it were more WoW-ish. Still entertaining enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Atomic Blonde: 7 ~ 10 Took my mom to see it. Thankfully there were no awkward lesbian scenes between Theron and Boutella. The ending tried to be too cute for its own good, but bonus points for decent action and an awesome soundtrack.

Backcountry: 7 ~ 10 Not quite what I was expecting. It was OK, but more bear attacks in my bear attack movies, please. The male lead was such a miserable cunt. Bonus points for comeuppance.

Nerve: 6 ~ 10 Dumb. Bonus points for soundtrack.

Split: 7.5 ~ 10 Dumb in retrospect, but McAvoy was so good.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

6/10 The Dark Tower

Note: spoilers here concerning the novels also

Let me first explain something: I have read this series many, many times. When casting was announced before it was explained that this was supposed to be considered a sequel to the books, I was confused. When it was finally announced that it was a sequel, I was still grouchy about the casting, but I also got over it eventually. Personally, I would have rather seen an actual adaptation from the source material made (something faithfulish akin to the Harry Potter movies).

This movie could have been completely under The Dome bad, but it wasn't. At least it was explained ahead of time that this was a sequel to the series (I still have no idea what UTD was- I just know it was bad).

Now, I walked into this movie, completely expecting to flat out hate it. The first complaint I had was that it didn't start out the way I think everyone wanted it to (with the opening line of the novels playing out). Instead, we get things from the boys perspective. At first I was like, "Okay, I don't like this" but as things played out, I started noticing that there were some similarities between the first book and the movie. When he didn't let Jake drop this time, that's when I was like, "Okay, I can accept this."

That's when I decided that this actually was a different turn of the wheel.

While not perfect, it wasn't as bad as the critics are making it out to be. I do think that this could have been a full 30 minutes longer, just to go into some sort of backstory to explain certain things, but in general I didn't think the movie was overall terrible.

Matthew's portrayal of Walter/Flagg though didn't impress me. It just seemed very flat to me. I've always been under the impression that Flagg is gleeful when it comes to the shenanigans he plays. In fact, it felt like Walter/Flagg got too much screen time and should have focused a little more on Roland and Jake.

Idris did very, very well as Roland. And Tom Taylor did okay as Jake.

Now the question is: are the fans going to consider this as canon? Mayhap some will, mayhap some won't. Myself: I'm on the fence with that question. If/when the do the next movie (they are still talking like there's going to be): I hope they try to get a little bit closer this time. Fans should already expect the whole Jack Mort experience not to happen- so no weird memory split from the third books. And I'm not sure exactly what they are going to do about Roland's relationship with Detta/Odetta (racist white lady mayhap?) in the next one either.

But I generally liked it which was surprising because-again: I didn't expect to.

Favorite line from the movie though: "Do the animals still talk in your world?"
    Last edited by taheen74; 2017-08-05 at 06:02 PM.
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

Kimi No Na Wa 2/10

It got great reviews and I had some free time so I figured why not. I don't really watch anime but hey great reviews people raving about it so why not give it a go.

Utter pile of shit. Honestly the entire plot is cheesier than the worst romcom I can remember. I kept waiting for a plot twist or something dark, but it was cheesy throughout. I am genuinely confused for whom this kind of movie is made. There is animated boobs bouncing and schoolgirl panties showing, yet the plot is sappy enough to make kawaii girls puke. Like seriously for whom is this garbage written.

It gets 2/10 because visually it was beautiful and the music was fittingly good too. But my god the plot, characters and overall writing was honestly the biggest and most overrated disappointment of the year for me.

The Dark Tower 1/10

Terrible script and direction. There is nothing entertaining about this film whatsoever. It is poorly written, acted, and photographed. Lacks any cohesion, stakes, meaning and purpose. This a pointless movie done terribly. The only semi entertaining bit was Elba asking what breed of hot dog he was eating. This movie is not good whatsoever.

Regarding applying the classic label to some older movies from the 40's and 50's. Tastes change over time. It's easiest to see in comedy. Old schtick like from the Marx Brothers or the 3 Stooges isn't all that popular anymore. Tastes change.

In the case of those older movies one of the main things beside most being b&w is pacing. Scenes tend to last much longer than those done in the last 20 years. For too much of the audience that's unacceptable, they expect a faster pace. As always YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    If you guys know any of these diamonds_in_the_rough movies, you gotta let me know. These days all I keep my eyes out for are the blockbusters. AKA, Marvel and DC, and the other "usual suspect" big budget movies. (Get it?) It's hard to discern really good movies from you guys' posts since you just give any blockbuster meant to be entertainment to the average movie-goer high scores.
    To be frank, most of the people posting here are average moviegoers. That being said, feel free to give me a nudge if you want some recommendations. I usually pick up on films that go under most people's radar. I would need you to include a small description of what kind of films you enjoy, though. Recommending films to someone without knowing their inclinations is kind of pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I am personally rarely amazed by older movies. I'll watch some of the big acclaimed classics (such as Casablanca or Citizen Kane), and think they are great (8/10) movies, but the older way of making movies, the acting, the pace, the writing, the cinematography, etc, just doesn't quite get to me enough that I can give them 9/10 or higher. The shortlist of movies from pre-2000 I have given 9/10 is:
    I had it similarly when I started watching older movies, but you get used to it after a while, and once you do an entire new world opens up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Black and white movies may look old and lack polish, and teens and early 20-somethings whose brain has melted from all the artificially generated, franchise-regurgitating marketing enterprises that Hollywood is pumping out en masse like a Chinese factory are unable to find beauty in them anymore.
    Oi! I quite like my brain the way it is.

Yet despite that, I cannot help it but feel sad that people today can't even see the beauty in the magnificent storytelling, direction, and human ingenuity that classics like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, The Third Man, Double Idemnity, etc are able to showcase today, 75+ years after their release.
    It's hardly surprising, though. The vast majority of today's film audience is cinematically illiterate.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I have personally only given eight movies 10/10 and 34 movies 9/10 at the moment
    Out of how many watched in total?

Bone Tomahawk.
    An okay western although a little stupid at times, good cast.. a few scenes that are hard to unsee for their brutality.

Deleted
    Apocalypto. A 10/10 movie if there ever was one. Mel Gibson is a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    To be frank, most of the people posting here are average moviegoers. That being said, feel free to give me a nudge if you want some recommendations. I usually pick up on films that go under most people's radar. I would need you to include a small description of what kind of films you enjoy, though. Recommending films to someone without knowing their inclinations is kind of pointless.
    Do it. There are three movie types I like:

1. Perfect movies. Meaning real 10/10s, the cream of the crop. Better than anything else. Basically it means that no matter what someone's preference is, as a reasonable human being they'd be missing out on life by not watching the movie.

2. I like horror movies. It's fun being scared.

3. I like psychological movies. Not necessarily just the "oh there's one big twist at the end", but movies that really make you think and/or captivate your attention.

I HATE movies with dead time where you stare at character's faces for seconds at a time just to "see their emotions" or that have unnecessary scenes. Life is too short and there are too many movies for me to feel bored enough to want to browse the internet while the movie is still on my screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw guys I've been busy so I haven't watched any movies, but omfg.

(Pic from like a week or so ago that I had uploaded to imgur: )

Do you see that Movie Theater popcorn on the top left? It tastes EXACTLY like movie theater popcorn. It became my new favorite. Starting next weekend I'll be more free, enough to watch movies, so I'll get some of that and some Powerade/snacks and try to put a dent in everyone's recommendation list.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    To be frank, most of the people posting here are average moviegoers.
    Nothing like a bit of elitism to start the day off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Do it. There are three movie types I like:

1. Perfect movies. Meaning real 10/10s, the cream of the crop
    I gave you a list earlier but just check out http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107692/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    if you like that then ill have a better idea if you're in the same kind of ball park

The Fifth Element - 10/10

I love this movie so much. I've seen it heaps and I still continue to enjoy it. On the weekend they brought it back to the cinema for a day to celebrate an upcoming 4k release of the movie so I happily went along to see it again ^_^

CHICKEN GOOD!

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    spider man homecoming: 8/10. solid, ran a bit long, excellent casting and character designs. sidenote: I want the vulture's coat.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Sunshine (2007) - 7.5/10 - Oh god, not a movie to watch before bed. Its quite the intense thriller. Its slow and methodical then suddenly brutal, but it definitely kept me interested. If you like tense, at times dry, sci-fi esque movies, I'd recommend. Though there was one issue that bugged me: the movie's supposed to take several hundred years in the future, but I have a hard time believing they solved gravity in space.

Ghost in the Shell (2017) - 6/10 - I had heard rumors it wasn't very good but I went ahead and watched it anyways. I actually found it pretty good. At least decent. It wasn't groundbreaking or deep, but it was entertaining and the plot was cute. I know a lot of people are upset by the missed potential, but the movie on its own its decent enough.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2017-08-07 at 08:13 AM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Alien - Covenant 7/10
    Explains a few things, raises a few questions, was not at all scary, or even suspense filled.
    you knew exactly who would die and how if you had seen any of the previous films, certainly better than some of the older ones, but not even holding a candle to the first one for suspense, or second one for action, could have been so much better.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword 8/10
    Not my usual type of film, but gave it a shot and I am glad I did. Acting was excellent for the most part (why the fuck was Beckham in it ? seriously, he should keep to football and not acting) The story line was interesting and the scenery / sfx are among the better I have seen for this genre, Definitely worth watching if you have not seen it already.

Dunkirk - 7/10
    I'm not a fan of military movies in general, but my son wanted to see it so I took him. I felt the skewed timeline could be a little confusing, and the ending sorta dragged a little. I see why it has been getting plaudits, tho.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Finally saw War of the Planet of the Apes. I really liked it, but felt it was easily the worst of the 3. I felt the other 2 movies had more big moments to it. More pivotal scenes to remember. This one felt like they were less impactful. Maybe cuz I'm not married and don't have kids. I did like how Caesar was understanding what Koba was going through. He finally got it. Yeah, there might be a couple good humans out there, but in general... fuck every last one of those mother fuckers.
    7.25/10
    Last edited by ItachiZaku; 2017-08-07 at 03:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Finally saw War of the Planet of the Apes. I really liked it, but felt it was easily the worst of the 3. I felt the other 2 movies had more big moments to it. More pivotal scenes to remember. This one felt like they were less impactful. Maybe cuz I'm not married and don't have kids. I did like how Caesar was understanding what Koba was going through. He finally got it. Yeah, there might be a couple good humans out there, but in general... fuck every last one of those mother fuckers.
    7.25/10
    Go away Koba.