Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cool Hi, WTB mage - Please assist

Hello,

I did a class trial of the mage class because I have been playing this game for 12 years and have never tried a pure dps class.

I really enjoy Arcane's playstyle, my question for the Mage community on MMO, should I pay the $60 and commit? How hard is it to find groups as a dps??

I hate trying to queue for shit as a dps shaman, do they give extra priority in queues to pure dps? Other than that, I understand Arcane is quite shit atm, is there any hope for 7.3 for them to be good?

I tried Frost which I guess is the golden child and it seems fun so at the very least I'll try that out if all else fails. I really have no interest in Fire.

But mainly, just looking for feedback on why all of you play Mages and why I should potentially try it out.

I've mained enhance/resto shaman for 12 years. I have extensive played time as a caster as well as Elemental so I know how to be a caster I just want to find the right class. I have a shadow priest and I don't like the Warlock esque dot tracking style either.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Cynical Person; 2017-08-07 at 03:04 PM.

It seems like you're interested in playing Mage. Just by that fact alone, you should try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenoxar View Post
    It seems like you're interested in playing Mage. Just by that fact alone, you should try it.
    I mean, ya you're probably right haha.. I guess I know better than anyone else if I'd like it or not. I'm just on the fence.

Deleted
    Queue as a dps is reasonable, class and spec notwithstanding. Pure classes don't get no quick queue as far as I know.
    Given that of course it's always going to be faster queuing as tank or healer.

As far as performance goes, you can play Arcane without issues, as it's not terrible. Frost has the great advantage of not being too legendary dependant in order to have a good performance. Although of course you can't really perform at your absolute peak without them.

Should you pay 60$? Up to you, for me it's nothing and I won't think twice about it.. Not for everyone though.

DPS have no priority on anything, it will be a bit hard at first but would get better - expect to be replaced a lot once people find out you are Arcane specced. But don't let that stop you!

Play what you like just make sure you are good at it and you will always have people to play with. A guild sure helps.

I hate threads that use the words "should", if you wanna do something, do it. Online confirmation on subjective matters in video games mean close to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by iFool View Post
    Queue as a dps is reasonable, class and spec notwithstanding. Pure classes don't get no quick queue as far as I know.
    Given that of course it's always going to be faster queuing as tank or healer.

As far as performance goes, you can play Arcane without issues, as it's not terrible. Frost has the great advantage of not being too legendary dependant in order to have a good performance. Although of course you can't really perform at your absolute peak without them.
    Ya that's what I've heard, however, I'm not planning on making the Mage my main, I'll only be doing M+ and normal modes tbh, maybe some heroics if I get angsty.

There is no perfect mage spec atm. You could argue fire is the best, but unless you're a top 100 guild the spec you choose won't matter. They're all pretty decent. I help run a 3/9, pushing 4/9 mythic ToS guild and I sometimes win, sometimes lose the DPS battle against the guild arcane and fire mages as frost. Point being, play what you enjoy. The classes are all in a pretty good spot to do that.

In regards to your pure DPS question, people will invite those who perform well. It's not a matter of the class as it is your ability as a player. They'll look up your history and it will be what you make it. You'll feel confident in your class when you know you're performing well. For group variety, the only advantage you have is ranged, lust and an immunity, which is about as many advantages as most other classes.
    Last edited by smaktat; 2017-08-07 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliddqvist View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. When go to do look more like, you have to consider as decided the need to go want to look. If you merely decided as to think to half of that, you might as well go to a floor towards as the far. I can't believe you deny the use of further deciding to even want to do look more like, when the rest of us have decided to need a want. Go ahead, go want to do look more like further than a half. It gets you nowhere, I can tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post
    Should you pay 60$? Up to you, for me it's nothing and I won't think twice about it.. Not for everyone though.

DPS have no priority on anything, it will be a bit hard at first but would get better - expect to be replaced a lot once people find out you are Arcane specced. But don't let that stop you!

Play what you like just make sure you are good at it and you will always have people to play with. A guild sure helps.

I hate threads that use the words "should", if you wanna do something, do it. Online confirmation on subjective matters in video games mean close to nothing.
    Maybe I just really like your feedback, I think you're cute bro.

Is it worth 60 euroes? No, you can buy other games that will get you more enjoyment for that kind of money.

Is all mage specs nice? Not really. Frost is RNG hell, and fire really needs a specific legendary to be viable. Arcane is dumpster tier, but doesnt really matter much unless you want to progress stuff and dps matters.
    For random hcs and m+, mage is fine. But again, not melee 4Head. Queue is still aids. If you want an easier ranged class, try BM hunter, pretty straight forward, gets you into the habbit of having to deal with stuff. But mage is normally alright too, just.. This expansion isnt really a top tier mage expansion is terms of enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gum View Post
    Is it worth 60 euroes? No, you can buy other games that will get you more enjoyment for that kind of money.

Is all mage specs nice? Not really. Frost is RNG hell, and fire really needs a specific legendary to be viable. Arcane is dumpster tier, but doesnt really matter much unless you want to progress stuff and dps matters.
    For random hcs and m+, mage is fine. But again, not melee 4Head. Queue is still aids. If you want an easier ranged class, try BM hunter, pretty straight forward, gets you into the habbit of having to deal with stuff. But mage is normally alright too, just.. This expansion isnt really a top tier mage expansion is terms of enjoyment.
    All of the posts were decent, until this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliddqvist View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. When go to do look more like, you have to consider as decided the need to go want to look. If you merely decided as to think to half of that, you might as well go to a floor towards as the far. I can't believe you deny the use of further deciding to even want to do look more like, when the rest of us have decided to need a want. Go ahead, go want to do look more like further than a half. It gets you nowhere, I can tell you that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky View Post
    Ya that's what I've heard, however, I'm not planning on making the Mage my main, I'll only be doing M+ and normal modes tbh, maybe some heroics if I get angsty.
    Then Arcane is more than good. If it's an alt, playing a spec you really like helps with the fun of the "holiday" from your main.
    About the 60€, see it this way: if you don't have the time to level your Mage, because your job or your life get the priority as they should, then 60€ aren't that much of an issue (if you can fit them in your overall bill) and you could play the toon much sooner, entertaining you for the same price of 6 movies, 8ish cheap dinners, 10 big cup of icecreams, or other comparable entertaining activities that have to be actively financed.

You basically pay for a commodity, a good investment, given that you are probably a long time player and that alt could see years of playtime!
    Exaggerations aside, I hope you got my point.

Quote Originally Posted by iFool View Post
    Then Arcane is more than good. If it's an alt, playing a spec you really like helps with the fun of the "holiday" from your main.
    About the 60€, see it this way: if you don't have the time to level your Mage, because your job or your life get the priority as they should, then 60€ aren't that much of an issue (if you can fit them in your overall bill) and you could play the toon much sooner, entertaining you for the same price of 6 movies, 8ish cheap dinners, 10 big cup of icecreams, or other comparable entertaining activities that have to be actively financed.

You basically pay for a commodity, a good investment, given that you are probably a long time player and that alt could see years of playtime!
    Exaggerations aside, I hope you got my point.
    Ya well $60 is nothing to me tbh, its more of the principle and I wanted other Mage opinions.

Deleted
    I like the relative fast gameplay and high mobility.

Personally I switched from warrior to mage in Legion for several reasons.

1. I wanted to switch to range after the melee desaster in the previous addon.

2. I dislike dotclasses because of dot tracking.

3. From my warrior I know how important mobility is for me.

4. And I like to do more then just dps, Mage with invis and iceblock is able to do so.

5. I like reactive gameplay, fire and frost would provide this for me. Had no interest in Arcane at all.

So it was more of a logic choice.

I first startet fire that I liked a lot. High mobility, a lot of instant cast and blink, plus good survivabilty with cauterize blink and Iceblock. The opener was very fun and with enough crit the playstyle was right for me. After the legendary wraist I could not stand it anymore. Hard casting a Pyro with a 3 second casttime feels like I am getting crippled.

So I switched to frost, at first the spec felt kinda boring with lower mobility and more hardcasts. Nighthold two piece changed that a lot. With my current gear 2p/4p, I like it a lot. The procrate is decent (still sometimes you cast 10-20 Frostbolts in a row without a proc, and i have a 30% proc chance with relics and 2p). Frost haste was ridiculous at some points in the game. Last whisper proc, BL, IV your castspeed was kinda insane and maybe to much. But still it is a "faster casting class" for me with an reactive playstyle and good mobility. I like it atm, maybe the future setbonus will change that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky View Post
    Ya well $60 is nothing to me tbh, its more of the principle and I wanted other Mage opinions.
    It's the principle that matters then: if you think it could entertain you, then it's settled. It's a fun class, a staple of the game, has plenty of commodities and things you can do other than your slotted dps role.
    Highly reccommended, go for it!

arcane is doing just fine you can be competitive on St and you blow Frost out of the water for aoe
    Kaltra - Vengeance DH Illidan

Quote Originally Posted by smaktat View Post
    All of the posts were decent, until this one.
    could say the same to your retarded shit, but instead i decided to give my own input. OP wanted to know why youd play mage. Mage does a fuck ton of damage, has good utility and is almost always viable. Is it fun, no, not really, most mage specs are really not in a good spot. arguing for anything else is silly. I even said the same retarded shit you did in terms of specviabillity. Mage is a decent class, just isnt a) easy b) fun c) non-legendary dependant d) auto include in groups e) top dps f)worth 60 eurodollar to boost.
    But i guess being retarded is fine aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at icy veins for a basic runthrough on mage /thread.

I have been playing Arcane throughout this whole expansion, even at the start when it was undeniably bad.

You can definetly play it, it's fun, but there's nothing to do: Arcane's problem is not numbers, those are fine, and if they are not they get buffed. It's how the spec works, namely for AoE. It's the only ranged spec in the game that cannot properly AoE without being in melee range, and as long as that remains true Arcane will always be crippled when compared to other specs (both Mage specs aswell as other ranged), since being in melee is more often than not quite a nuisance when having to deal with fight mechanics and, even when it isn't, it usually implies more movement to properly position yourself, and that costs dps. A cost that no other ranged dps spec has to pay, simple as that. Sometimes the difference is negligible, sometimes it is more noticeable, but it is there.

It's a design that is old, plain and simple: it was acceptable in Wrath, since fights were not designed how they are today, but nowadays i am surprised the spec is still carrying around such an obsolete and rather malfunctioning system.

That said, the spec works. The numbers are fine. And we are a PvP monster right now, which is hilarious considering where we come from (no Arcane Mage has ever stood in an Arena since the dawn of this game).

Deleted
    My personal opinion is that arcane gameplay is awesome, but to be honest there is limiting factor in it that, when you realize its there, you might feel like you made bad choice.
    It's called mana management. But if you are very very lucky to get Kilt as 1st legendary you will not feel it.
    I would recommend you to start with frost. Its simple. Its strong. There are no limiting factors. Its just spam fest. It is just reactive and a lot more simple rotation than arcane one is. I am sure you will enjoy it a lot more as this will be alt toon.

Deleted
    Arcane is one of the best specs in the game right now. We are godlike in M+, very strong in PvP, also we are strong in current raid tier. So if you like Arcane theme go for it