Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Pretty sure Hindus draw it as a square rather than at an angle. Also if I recall the Hindu symbol has 4 dots between the lines.
    dots aren't always present, the only thing the nazi's did was display it at an angle. The main thing is that the buddhist way and hindu can also have it displayed forwards or backwards with different meanings while also appearing as the block swirl design.

Just the other side of the same coin of people who use the "Everyone I don't like is Hitler!" meme or eyeroll at any mention of a Hitler comparison.

In those cases, they've elevated Hitler, the Nazis, and their symbolism to a level of fantasy that could not exist in reality (even though they did, quite easily), so the comparison is seen as absurd.

In this case, they see Hitler, Nazis, and their symbols as far-away fantasy ideas of hate, so they've forgotten that Nazi Germany was an actual thing that still carries a lot of pain for people today - and through the groups that still represent those ideas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Just the other side of the same coin of people who use the "Everyone I don't like is Hitler!" meme or eyeroll at any mention of a Hitler comparison.

In those cases, they've elevated Hitler, the Nazis, and their symbolism to a level of fantasy that could not exist in reality (even though they did, quite easily), so the comparison is seen as absurd.

In this case, they see Hitler, Nazis, and their symbols as far-away fantasy ideas of hate, so they've forgotten that Nazi Germany was an actual thing that still carries a lot of pain for people today - and through the groups that still represent those ideas.
    The only people that are delusional about Hitler or Nazi in terms of magic are those who have no earthly fucking idea of how that movement got started or what the process was, it wasn't fucking magic, and there are very much the exact same patterns we see today with Trump.

You also don't have to like the truth for it to be truth, or agree with everyone who says, Trump, Trumpsters and Alt- Right are a bunch of white supremacist Neo Nazi's.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Are we running out of symbols or something? Since we apparently need to recycle old ones?
    The swastika was recycled by the Nazis, it existed loooooong before they did.

Deleted
    Pretty sure it's beyond saving or any of its variants in western culture.

Good luck with that. I don't see that happenng in the west, we have too many professionally offended people and brain dead right wingers that really like to show their sympathy for nazis for this to bear any fruit. A shame though, I always liked the geometry and shape of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who want to rebrand the swastika or say "its just a symbol, bro" are the same ones who complain when Confederate statues get taken down.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    The symbol was already rebranded, wasn't it?
    It's not like the germans invented it, it was already used in ancient Rome and in India (even today).

Also, why do some people want to wear symbols and signs so badly? Are these people in need of something external to follow?

First we need to educate people that Swastika was not originally Nazi symbol. Then rebrand it, if we really need that. Honestly it was never a part of the western culture in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    You cannot use the swastika in anything newer than the Nazis ever. Only places you can barely use it are where it already were present before Hitler and his posse ruined the symbol.

45th Infantry Division's shoulder patch up to 1939 when it was changed. It's Native American in origin.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

45th Infantry Division's shoulder patch up to 1939 when it was changed. It's Native American in origin.
    Insignia of the Finnish Air force from 1918 to 1945.

It's based on the personal lucky charm/owner's mark used by the Swedish count Eric von Rosen who donated the first planes to Finish Air force. von Rosen based his swastika symbol on the symbol of luck used by the vikings (so yeah, swastika as a symbol of luck does have European use that predates the Nazis).

In 1945 the FAF symbol was changed, for obvious reasons, but the old one is still used in some places, like flags:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Insignia of the Finnish Air force from 1918 to 1945.

It's based on the personal lucky charm/owner's mark used by the Swedish count Eric von Rosen who donated the first planes to Finish Air force. von Rosen based his swastika symbol on the symbol of luck used by the vikings (so yeah, swastika as a symbol of luck does have European use that predates the Nazis).

In 1945 the FAF symbol was changed, for obvious reasons, but the old one is still used in some places, like flags:

And Charlie Chaplin wore a toothbrush mustache before Hitler did.

I don't think that's coming back into style any time soon. Nor is the "roman salute."

Too many bad connotations. And there are people that STILL use them, swastika included, to show support for Nazism.

There are plenty of other symbols to be used.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Part of the problem is, is that the swastika is not simply "part of history". It's a current thing. There are current neo-nazis using the sign today. If the end of WWII was the end of the nazi movement, that would be one thing. It would be a case of "Is it too soon?" but rebranding something that is currently still branded doesn't.. work.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. It's ignorant of other cultures to assume the symbol's meaning.

Germany who jail people for displaying a swastika are being facist.

What gets me is why did the company use the tilted swastika the nazis used when they couldve and prolly shouldve just used the ancient one with dots in the four corners?

If i was walking down the street and i saw someone wearing one of those T-shirts i would think he is either a homosexual nazi or is trying to imply that nazis are homosexuals. I certainly wouldnt think oh he is just reclaiming the swastika and give him a thumbs up!.

Pretty pathetic attempt to generate some attention.

I don't really see a need for such an action. The parts of the world where its meaning as a peace symbol originally came from still use it as such.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by trrujkgklg View Post
    What gets me is why did the company use the tilted swastika the nazis used when they couldve and prolly shouldve just used the ancient one with dots in the four corners?
    The swastika with the four dots is only one of a great many versions that have been used by a myriad of cultures since ancient times, including the tilted version that the Nazis adopted (and, it's important to note, the Nazis sometimes used the non-tilted version as well). It's not like there's only two types of swastika, Nazi and non-Nazi.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    The swastika with the four dots is only one of a great many versions that have been used by a myriad of cultures since ancient times, including the tilted version that the Nazis adopted (and, it's important to note, the Nazis sometimes used the non-tilted version as well). It's not like there's only two types of swastika, Nazi and non-Nazi.
    Well one is well recognized and the other is semi recognized as being that hindu version.

Iam sure most lay people would see the straight swastika with the dots and see it as that religious symbol but the tilted version will always be tainted by the nazis.