Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nailbomb View Post
    where do you live. Natural Gas is almost always cheaper than electricity.
    In Canada in a province with nationalized electricity. Meaning all citizen has the same access and the same price. Which makes the price of electricity the lowest in north america by a long shot. Anyone here going natural gaz outside of a commercial with gaz powered oven is just wastng cash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    In Canada in a province with nationalized electricity. Meaning all citizen has the same access and the same price. Which makes the price of electricity the lowest in north america by a long shot. Anyone here going natural gaz outside of a commercial with gaz powered oven is just wastng cash.
    "However, the balance changes when we compare operation costs. The prices of both natural gas and electricity vary depending on where you live in Canada. ... In general, however, gas furnaces are seen to be cheaper to run, even in areas where electricity is relatively cheap"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Yeah, when you put up signs telling a single racial or religious group to do or not do something, it very easily comes off as "racism" or "prejudice."

Who knew.

...the signs aimed specifically at Jewish people telling them that they had to or could not do something?

That they felt were unjust because the signs told them specifically that they had to or could not do something?

The signs themselves had no context implicit, so it's pretty damn hard to "take it out of context" when the signs were the only context provided, until the hotel owner explained how badly they cocked up afterwards.
    Granted, the hotel manager was really naive, should have written a generic "To our guests" without singling out anyone in particular. It is aimed at Jews because that particular hotel had a Jewish Orthodox group of guests and it seems they refused to shower before entering the public swimming pool. Honestly, I don't think she actually has any problem with Jews in general, was probably just fed up by that particular group of guests. It became a way bigger deal than it should of been because it's August and the media don't have crap to write about, at least in Switzerland...

If a US hotel put up such a sign asking Jews to shower there would be a similar uproar. We have a lot of Jews in the US and it wasn't so long ago that there was a lot of discrimination against them.

So a hotel would say "everyone needs to shower before entering the pool" and they wouldn't specify Jews.

Switzerland is probably not very diverse so they don't have to deal with such issues every day. Did all the Swiss Jews die in the Holocaust?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Europeans and their never ending racial hatred

Why is a sign about taking a shower aimed at Jewish people? Are they stereo typed as not being very clean?

As an Israeli, not offended one bit, take a shower before going into the pool, don't want your sweat in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Why is a sign about taking a shower aimed at Jewish people? Are they stereo typed as not being very clean?
    There are showers near the pool. The rules are you take a shower before going in. Jews simply didn't while other guests did. Manager gets told about this and puts up a sign. INTERNET BLOWS UP BECAUSE ANYTHING MENTIONING RACE IS RACISM!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    If I worked at hotel, I would write a little "easier" text. Since I know that world is sensitive to something so weak as words I would phrase it like "We ask all our clients to wash before entering the pool or we will close it" and then if I know who is not respecting the rule, I would restrict them access and approach them directly. In the end it may be Jewish people and they may like that or not.
    Well it's not sensitive everywhere. People in my country at all ages often greet each other(even if that's the first time they meet) with "suck my dick" or "go fuck your mom's dead relatives" or shit like that and no one bats an eye. Tell someone to go fuck himself on the internet and it's like you murdered his family.

Look, if you wanted the Jews to shower before getting in the pool, all you have to do is leave a breadcrumb trail of gold coins through it.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-08-17 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    The only problem I see here is Jewish people taking the signs out of context and then crying about it.
    How should they look at it?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The signs made them feel singled out. They could have made a sign that says everyone has to take a shower before swimming and that people only have access to the freezers at this allotted amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    How should they look at it?
    That the rules apply to them? There's going to be a general sign that says shower before getting into the pool if its an actual rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    The signs made them feel singled out. They could have made a sign that says everyone has to take a shower before swimming and that people only have access to the freezers at this allotted amount of time.
    What makes you think they don't have those signs?

I'll try to give a few more details to the story. I'm not allowed to post the links yet for the necessary documentation, so I'll try to do with just the names of the necessary news articles (most articles are in German though).

In my opinion the story is seriously over-sensationalized. According to the Swiss news site Blick, who seemingly is the only news portal to feature the story in a bit of detail, and Swiss state TV SRF, Ruth Thomann who wrote the instructionary sign is not a hotel manager, but only the cleaning lady of the place (!) (see the Blick article: "Antisemiten Alarm wegen Aroser Abwaertin"; SRF Online article: "Ich schrieb das Plakat im Stress"; both only available in German). There is no manager at all in the so-called hotel, because the Paradies "Hotel" is in fact, unlike claimed by most international news pages, only an appartement house where you can rent rooms (see also their official website, google "Paradies Arosa").

So what we have is not a hotel manager whom you'd expect to know how to express oneself appropriately in English (seriously, look at the sign of outrage in the above-mentioned article of Blick) or somebody who is trained to cater to cultural sensitivies, but a cleaning lady who was likely merely focusing on keeping the place adequately clean for all guests. So from this background, I'm much more willing to believe the cleaning lady that she inadvertently formulated her instruction badly (not knowing better) than the allegation that she was racist.

I consider it much more outrageous that in such an incident, where you could easily give the lady the benefit of the doubt, the whole story in contrary is so blown out of proportion that Swiss state officials need to be informed and there are calls from Israels foreign ministry or the Simon Wiesenthal Centre from Los Angeles to remove the "hotel" from booking.com (the actually succeded in that) or to close it altogether (Guardian.co.uk article: "swiss hotel accused of antisemitism over pool warning"; washingtonpost.com article: "sign at swiss hotel directed to jewish guests draws scorn"). Isn't it possible anymore to look for pragmatic solutions?

The irony is that seemingly jewish guests of the village of Arosa consider the incident not to be that bad at all, if maybe a bit dumb, and agree that it is necessary to take a shower before bathing (suedostschweiz.ch article: "so reagieren juedische Touristen in Arosa").

Quote Originally Posted by eu2016champsDEALWITHIT View Post
    It's spreading, like a disease. You're just enabling them now.
    Oh get over yourself.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    Oh get over yourself.
    Good one. Have anything noteworthy/relevant to add to the discussion? Or just vapid drivel?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Jews don't follow the rules it's FINE to single them out for it. Of course they are outraged, I would be too, not for being singled out, but for the opportunity to be outraged and cash in on it. That's life.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene, I could tell you stories about them from the hotel I work at and tbh I don't think people would believe what i say.

Yap whatever you want, but they were just too easy on them for too long, things are turning around however, even in Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    I imagine that gas furnaces are far more expensive in the winter. Next thing I know you're going to tell me you don't have AC..... I think my grandmother has a gas powered home.... her house is pretty old though.
    What would one need AC for in Central Europe?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nailbomb View Post
    EVERY SINGLE AC UNIT RUN ON ELECTRICITY.
    Some can run on gas.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If a US hotel put up such a sign asking Jews to shower there would be a similar uproar. We have a lot of Jews in the US and it wasn't so long ago that there was a lot of discrimination against them.

So a hotel would say "everyone needs to shower before entering the pool" and they wouldn't specify Jews.

Switzerland is probably not very diverse so they don't have to deal with such issues every day. Did all the Swiss Jews die in the Holocaust?
    Stop talking, if you have no idea what you're talking about. "Modern" American, European, Canadian Jews are something completely different than Orthodox Jews from Israel. It's like night and day.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are suppose to fucking shower before you go into a public pool ffs, here in Iceland you HAVE to take a shower before you enter any pool, you will be stopped if you exit the cloth and shower room without taking a shower before you go into the pool, it's fucking common sense and courtesy to other.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.