Thread: Intelligence.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted
    /dance
    dance/
    Last edited by mmoc1d34d495b3; 2018-04-21 at 09:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Intelligence is the capacity to learn, reason, and understand while applying existing and new skills to solve problems. That's pretty much it.

How it is measured depends on the tools and the intent of the test. Some tests just measure your ability to spot differences or solutions and some test current knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincten View Post
    My intent here is to find a way to raise the capacity of [my] intelligence/knowledge, if that's possible. To find the 'edge' of possibilities.
    As far as I understand intelligence, it's a fairly inborn capability. You can certainly make your mind more practiced at recognizing patterns and regurgitating information, but actually increasing your intelligence? I don't know if that is possible. Your ability to intuit solutions and make leaps of logic seems to be something that is just part of you.

I could be wrong, of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Darsithis pretty much nailed it, it really isn't that ambiguous as it relates to objective truth. However beyond that I would say there is knowledge and ignorance, someone who is ignorant is likely someone of lower intelligence, someone who has knowledge is likely someone of a higher intelligence.

However neither holds the exclusivity on being stupid. Stupidity as I would define it relates to intelligence only as so far as one knows, but decides contrary to that knowledge. So the limits of knowledge, I think really will be choice.

I think for instance in the case of artificial intelligence, I don't think self awareness will come without the ability to feel, and when that happens whatever intelligence would likely be able to determine for itself through choice the priority of what it feels is important.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

There are many theories of intelligence, none universally agreed upon. You can read all the dribble in most psychology textbooks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Intelligence is the capacity to learn, reason, and understand while applying existing and new skills to solve problems. That's pretty much it.

How it is measured depends on the tools and the intent of the test. Some tests just measure your ability to spot differences or solutions and some test current knowledge.
    The irony of you out of all people defining intelligence is not lost on me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    There are many theories of intelligence, none universally agreed upon. You can read all the dribble in most psychology textbooks.

- - - Updated - - -

The irony of you out of all people defining intelligence is not lost on me.
    Which universe is that, the same one that believe the earth is flat. Science isn't a democracy, what makes up and determines intelligence has been pretty accurate and strong for over 100 years.

I am very inteligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    There aren't many theories of intelligence. It's clearly defined. Now, what exactly brings rise to our conscious minds and (by extension) intelligence is another story.

10+ Year Old Account
    There aren't many theories of intelligence. It's clearly defined. Now, what exactly brings rise to our conscious minds and (by extension) intelligence is another story.
    I believe we do, but it's that dirty word in some circles that is directly related to environment, mostly because through some peer reviewed studies, environment doesn't seem to make a difference. I disagree along with a few others, especially in say like early child development.

However I don't know if you have Netflix or care but you should check out the famed interview with the Iceman Richard Kuklinski there are two of them that I know of one was conducted by Dr Park Dietz, who I am not especially a fan of but his evaluation of Kuklinski is pretty compelling.

I say a persons intelligence is closely as tied to their emotions and environment as any other development concerning the brain. Give a brain the tools it needs and environment to grow honestly. And there is a good or better than average chance that even without raising a persons I.Q which I say goes along with over all intelligence.

It is no guarantee as there are other components and ultimately choice of an individual, but it something that can be built on.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    My intent here is to find a way to raise the capacity of [my] intelligence/knowledge, if that's possible. To find the 'edge' of possibilities.
    Read more - use a variety of sources. Be open to new ideas and being wrong about previous misconceptions. Review critical thinking strategies and processes to digest what you come across.

As far as I understand intelligence, it's a fairly inborn capability. You can certainly make your mind more practiced at recognizing patterns and regurgitating information, but actually increasing your intelligence? I don't know if that is possible. Your ability to intuit solutions and make leaps of logic seems to be something that is just part of you.

I think it's mostly innate and your surroundings just give it it's final shape.

You can't learn to be like Hawkins or Einstein. There is a clear difference between a toddler who can read before he can walk and someone who has trouble calculating 6x7 in his mid 20s without the use of his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Which universe is that, the same one that believe the earth is flat. Science isn't a democracy, what makes up and determines intelligence has been pretty accurate and strong for over 100 years.
    Thankfully science is quite democratic actually. And ironically it has been the last 100 years that intelligence theories have popped up like weeds.

10+ Year Old Account

I would add, research into problem solving techniques. Widing your approach options can help in just about any situation where intelligence is a key factor.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I think it's mostly innate and your surroundings just give it it's final shape.

You can't learn to be like Hawkins or Einstein. There is a clear difference between a toddler who can read before he can walk and someone who has trouble calculating 6x7 in his mid 20s without the use of his hands.
    It's impossible to arrive at a number higher than 10 with only 2 hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully science is quite democratic actually. And ironically it has been the last 100 years that intelligence theories have popped up like weeds.
    Popped up like weeds and what, please finish your statement.

Our understanding of the science has failed pretty miserably over all and generally, however as a collective I.Q has grown. The problem though is that I.Q =/= the end result, not totally.

It's a factor a large factor but so are many others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    It's impossible to arrive at a number higher than 10 with only 2 hands.
    It is if in one of those hands you have a gun, I am sure you can figure out why.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. Its pretty well known the resistance to openly sharing new findings has been a significant cause of our slow technological progression for centuries. Once science and free thought was welcomed across the world, we began a huge increase in progress.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I wouldn't call someone stupid for being uneducated, but spouting uneducated opinion as fact is something I would call stupid. Give me a minute.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't call someone stupid for being uneducated, but spouting uneducated opinion as fact is something I would call stupid. Give me a minute.
    Well then you really need to rethink your opinion then because someone who fucking spreads uneducated opinions as facts wouldn't know that they are spreading uneducated opinion, or know what facts are.

No more like someone who is uneducated or has a low I.Q can't and shouldn't be excepted to know better as much as those who have been, and have a higher intelligence that is what stupidity is.

People can only operate on information they know and people can't know better if they don't have access to education or an environment conducive of learning.

http://imgur.com/a/idsHO

http://imgur.com/a/NzY5r

http://imgur.com/a/QYt6l

These are just a couple of textbooks I could find on my PC. Both with large chapters dedicated to intelligence. I have come across far more detailed chapters that thoroughly pick apart the history of the concept of intelligence. Feel free to PM me for the full books, just in case you want to count exactly how many prominent theories you can find here.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that shut em up.

Your brain is like a muscle. Exercise it with thinking. Ask questions and learn. If you ever find the edge of possibilities, if human history is anything to go by, it just means you haven't searched hard enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.