Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Any PC savvy guys want to help me out?

Basically I can't play OW anymore, or any moderately demanding game. My fan goes crazy and my GPU gets to about 90C. It's a GTX660. It used to not be this bad.

My first idea would be to dust really well, because I have a ridiculously fluffy dog, but I'm not sure what I can take off and what I can't. I'm not sure what to do or where to post this. I tried to dust a little but I couldn't get anything notable.

EDIT:
    I was to clean and change the thermal paste. Now it maxed at 64C.
    Last edited by ATZenith; 2017-08-31 at 12:40 AM.

What are you dusting with and how long have you been using that card (same as mine)? I'd use compressed air if you haven't been.

Could also have a faulty fan.

As effs said, use compressed air to clean the fan. If there's no dust / dog hair inside and it's still acting up - send it for repairs. Or consider buying a new graphics card.

I had an issue with my old laptop around 1 year after buying it, graphic card was heating up so much it was turning the laptop off. After sending it for repairs they've said it was a factory defect, basically an issue with greasing paste used in the fan which was drying up really fast and falling out.

Might also be an issue with overclocking if you did that. Done badly might have damaged it beyond repair.

Looking for a working online signature generator .....

Bad conditions (Dust and dog hair) wear things down faster.

In other words, the fan might be at its last, hair or not, combined with dried up paste underneath, its barely functioning.

Take the card out, pull any dog hair out from the fan, dust bunnies basically.

Also, obviously refresh the thermal paste.

If thats too much for you, or you are not sure how to do it, time for an upgrade either way, 660 is old enough, a 1050 Ti will do you wonders if 660 was fine for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by effs View Post
    What are you dusting with and how long have you been using that card (same as mine)? I'd use compressed air if you haven't been.

Could also have a faulty fan.
    I've been using it for about a year now, and my friend had it for about 2 years before that. It's definitely pretty old. 660 was a good card when my friend had it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ATZenith View Post
    Basically I can't play OW anymore, or any moderately demanding game. My fan goes crazy and my GPU gets to about 90C. It's a GTX660. It used to not be this bad.

My first idea would be to dust really well, because I have a ridiculously fluffy dog, but I'm not sure what I can take off and what I can't. I'm not sure what to do or where to post this. I tried to dust a little but I couldn't get anything notable.
    Cap your FPS

A year? I've been using mine for almost 3 now and I've never had an issue with it. Just clean the case out as much as you can and check for fan faults first, is what I advise. There is also software that can manage fan speed I believe. I'm looking to upgrade my 660 at the end of the year anyway, upgrading is an option if you can spare it.
    Last edited by effs; 2017-08-23 at 05:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Cap your FPS
    OW is the one game where I feel I need to play at 120 fps even though I have a 60hz monitor. It makes the game much smoother in terms of reaction time. The input delay is low and it feels great. Maybe playing OW at 120 fps is what helped to kill/give me this problem. Which is why I'd like to fix the problem and still be able to have high fps.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can also try the computer forums here on MMO-C if nothing in this thread works

10+ Year Old Account
    I ended up taking out my gpu and cleaning it, the fan was brown. I cleaned it enough to be black again. I also cleaned the two fans. I took off the heatsink and cleaned that. Which was probably the worst offender. Had a lot dust gunk in that. I realized this is where thermal paste is applied too. Though I didn't apply new thermal paste, I made sure to not remove what was already there. Hopefully that isn't a terrible thing to do.

I also decided to just keep my case off. This PC is old and I don't really care, I just want to play. Jumped in the practice range and the GPU temp maxed out 70, I was getting about 90 more fps too. I think this fixed a problem I used to have also. Where the game felt off, like the frames were jittery. My fps was like 190, so whenever I get back on I'll boost my settings until I'm getting like 130 ish fps.

I didn't play long, but it was enough to test I believe. Before my gpu would heat up to 90 right away and the fan would sound terrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: for some reason my temps are back high again. Is there something else that could be at play here? Why would it be in the 70/ yesterday but in the 85s today?

10+ Year Old Account
    Before you decide to buy a new card and after you tried everything (try that gpu on another slot, try that gpu on another pc, try a clean install of every nvidia drivers and profile) there is a thing you could try: change the thermal paste on the GPU. It's not that hard if you follow some guide, it's like the last resort but sometimes is better than spend money for another thing. I did it few years ago on a laptop's gpu because was reaching seriously danger temp and after that it was like new. That's why is always better keep your gpu fans clean, because at high temps for years the thermal paste tend to lose its properties.

10+ Year Old Account

You installed any updates these days?
    Some time ago (about 2/3 years) Nvidia released an update that made the fan work the wrong way, and overheat.
    Could be something with your system also, you are experiencing any other issues in your daily routines? Other games making your computer present the same behaviour?

Already said here. Cap the fps. Having GPU go 90 degress too often will break it. There could already be some damage in the components.

10+ Year Old Account
    90° isn't a problem for the GPU. The critical point is at ~110+. If you use Windows 10, take a look for the game mode in your system settings . I had this enabled after an update and it had caused some fps and temperature issues.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    90° isn't a problem for the GPU. The critical point is at ~110+. If you use Windows 10, take a look for the game mode in your system settings . I had this enabled after an update and it had caused some fps and temperature issues.
    If the GPU spikes at 90 its not problem. If its constantly staying at 90 it will start to affect the components in the board. 110 critical point means the core will break down if the heat gets that up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had several gpus thats easily survived that temperatures without any issues. It isn't optimal but it's not that critical.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draedarr View Post
    You installed any updates these days?
    Some time ago (about 2/3 years) Nvidia released an update that made the fan work the wrong way, and overheat.
    Could be something with your system also, you are experiencing any other issues in your daily routines? Other games making your computer present the same behaviour?
    While I haven't check the actual heat of it, other games would still cause my fan to sound loud so I assume the temp was the same. There aren't really any issues besides that. Sometimes rebooting can glitch, and I'll have to restart, but that is rare.

Whatever this is though caused my hard drive to die. My CPU seems to stay at normal temperatures when gaming. And as for updates, I'm like one driver behind the current one.

While I haven't check the actual heat of it, other games would still cause my fan to sound loud so I assume the temp was the same. There aren't really any issues besides that. Sometimes rebooting can glitch, and I'll have to restart, but that is rare.

Whatever this is though caused my hard drive to die. My CPU seems to stay at normal temperatures when gaming. And as for updates, I'm like one driver behind the current one.
    I had an issue where after many attempts to figure out the problem it turned out to be the internal hard drive that my games were on that had failed. It was over 8 years old and had been moved from tower to tower. Once replaced it worked like a charm. I checked for heating issues, then got memory issues and checked the ram I recently purchased, replaced the wiring between drives just in case, finally came to the conclusion the memory problem was caused by the internal memory hard drive failure. Even reloaded windows at some point.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I had an issue where after many attempts to figure out the problem it turned out to be the internal hard drive that my games were on that had failed. It was over 8 years old and had been moved from tower to tower. Once replaced it worked like a charm. I checked for heating issues, then got memory issues and checked the ram I recently purchased, replaced the wiring between drives just in case, finally came to the conclusion the memory problem was caused by the internal memory hard drive failure. Even reloaded windows at some point.
    Well technically I did just replace it. With any older hard drive of mine. It was doing the same stuff before my hard drive died. Which is probably why it died. From heat or something. I was being really stupid and didn't care until it mattered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well technically I did just replace it. With any older hard drive of mine. It was doing the same stuff before my hard drive died. Which is probably why it died. From heat or something. I was being really stupid and didn't care until it mattered.
    Could be something with your software maybe, which OS you are using? I used to have Windows 7 here and was having major issues with the Hosts process, maybe it's a similar error with something related with the video driver.
    Going to look into it, I have windows 8 and almost the same card as you, will do some tests later when i come back from work.