10+ Year Old Account

Advice on parts upgrade

Been out of the loop when it comes to computer parts for a while so I need some advice.

Current Setup:
    i5-2500k
    8GB RAM
    GTX 970
    Fractal Design Tesla 650W
    ASUS P8P67-M B3

So I'm thinking of upgrading the motherboard, RAM and CPU.

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever about motherboards so if someone can give advice that would be great.

For CPU I've been reading up on some things, didn't even use to consider buying AMD for what I consider is a lower midrange setup that I used to run. From benchmarks it seems like a i5-6600k has some decent benchmarks. Ryzen seems to perform decently but can they really top Intel when it comes to gaming? I was looking at a Ryzen 1600 as a comparison but it lags behind from what I've seen. I have a Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler that I will use so most likely overclocking whatever CPU I'm buying.

Thinking of going for 32GB RAM, I'm sure 16 is enough but I feel like I might as well get 32 if I will have the setup for a few years.

Is 650W enough still or do I need a new power supply?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillistrar View Post
    Also, I love your short-temper. Did you know that people like you are the most fun to mess with? Not that I'm doing it. Yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazoric View Post
    Interception...
    Is that a like a charge within a charge? :P

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wait for Coffee Lake. No need to buy anything before we see some numbers on the I7 8700k. As it looks now, it will be the new Gaming King
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by arioc View Post
    Been out of the loop when it comes to computer parts for a while so I need some advice.

Current Setup:
    i5-2500k
    8GB RAM
    GTX 970
    Fractal Design Tesla 650W
    ASUS P8P67-M B3

So I'm thinking of upgrading the motherboard, RAM and CPU.

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever about motherboards so if someone can give advice that would be great.

For CPU I've been reading up on some things, didn't even use to consider buying AMD for what I consider is a lower midrange setup that I used to run. From benchmarks it seems like a i5-6600k has some decent benchmarks. Ryzen seems to perform decently but can they really top Intel when it comes to gaming? I was looking at a Ryzen 1600 as a comparison but it lags behind from what I've seen. I have a Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler that I will use so most likely overclocking whatever CPU I'm buying.

Thinking of going for 32GB RAM, I'm sure 16 is enough but I feel like I might as well get 32 if I will have the setup for a few years.

Is 650W enough still or do I need a new power supply?

Thanks in advance!
    What is your budget , as the other poster said the new 8700k with its 6 cores is going to quite possibly take over. I expect pricing to be about where 7700k is now. I know I plan to build a new system on this CPU as soon as it launches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    What is your budget , as the other poster said the new 8700k with its 6 cores is going to quite possibly take over. I expect pricing to be about where 7700k is now. I know I plan to build a new system on this CPU as soon as it launches
    I'm quite flexible with the budget, but I work a lot overseas so I dont want to spend too much money on a PC that I'm sometimes only using 2 months of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillistrar View Post
    Also, I love your short-temper. Did you know that people like you are the most fun to mess with? Not that I'm doing it. Yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazoric View Post
    Interception...
    Is that a like a charge within a charge? :P

Maybe you should get a laptop then? Imo, your pc is still fine for gaming: 2500k can easily do 4.5ghz and even more based on silicon lottery. Overclock it for now? Alternatively, as others said, wait for i5-8600K and Z370 on 5th oct.