Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Videogame culture needs to stop fetishizing skill!

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...ing-skill.html

lol. someone got kicked out of LFR one too many times

Moved this to the more appropriate forum location

As a forewarning though, please keep it civil, as I know how skill based discussion with video games CAN get hostile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

As a forewarning though, please keep it civil, as I know how skill based discussion with video games CAN get hostile.
    Sounds like something someone who needs to git good would say!

jk ilu

video game culture is what it is, don't like it go to your video game safe space.

i mean just look at the internet it can be wonderful and a shithole all at the same time, you have to accept these things for what they are not expect them to change because you don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Sounds like something someone who needs to git good would say!

jk ilu
    I still haven't beat Dark Souls 1.
    Got past Ornstein and Smough and just stopped.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But to really respond. I do think that reviewers should have some amount of skill. It's not fair if you stick someone who sucks at platformers on reviewing Super Meat Boy, because they're going to have a bad time, and that's going to reflect in their review if they just can't enjoy the game.

Fetishizing ? Sexual arousal triggered by impressive displays of mechanical skill or strategy? Does it really happen to anyone? lol

But really, this just seems like a hit piece on the 'game journalists must be decently skilled at gaming' debacle.

Oh my god, someone's defending a 25+ year "journalist" who couldn't make it out of a tutorial that a 4-year old figured out in seconds? No, Takeshi is a shitlord who needs to fuck off and find a job he can do at a competent level because he will never be taken seriously after all this.

There is a HUGE difference between being an elitist/follower of elitists who fetish-ize skill and asking someone who has PLAYED VIDEO GAMES FOR 25 FUCKING YEARS TO PASS A TUTORIAL AND NOT BLAME THE GAME FOR BEING TOO FUCKING HARD. I ask you, all of you, if any of you spent a quarter of a fucking century at something, would you really be that inept at it to the point where a 4 year old could figure it out after a second or two?
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    No, Takeshi is a shitlord who needs to fuck off and find a job he can do at a competent level because he will never be taken seriously after all this.

What do you have against Beat Takeshi!?

(His last name is Takahashi : P)

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    To be fair there is far too much focus on 'skill' these days. Especially in the playerbase of multiplayer games like WoW.

What happened to just having fun? Why ask for the introduction of hair-tearingly frustrating 'challenges'?

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, I have only one reaction for that kind of talk.

GIT GUD.

That's a challenge. Take it or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Why introduce hair-tearingly frustrating 'challenges'?
    The problem is that the 'challenge', which article refers to, isn't even a challenge. A 5-yo kid is capable of beating it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by sonololo View Post
    You know, I have only one reaction for that kind of talk.

GIT GUD.

That's a challenge. Take it or leave it.
    "I pay the same amount of money as you on this game, I can play however I want."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    "I pay the same amount of money as you on this game, I can play however I want."
    And that's one whole another can of worms: should developers cater for everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

Make sure to use our conversational skills you mean?
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Deleted
    I think we need to stop pretending that any single journalist can cover the entire spectrum of games.
    Do you like every genre? I don't! I doubt many people would.
    Put Takahashi in reviewing walking-simulators, and get someone else review Cuphead.

Would you have a blind person review a painting? no, you would not. They can review music instead.
    Don't let a person with a serious incapacity review a game with basic motion coordination.
    Last edited by mmoc003aca7d8e; 2017-09-14 at 12:52 AM.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People have made a ton of shit easier out of a false sense of entitlement. It's part of the reason I only play fighting games these days. Can't get away with that shit in competitve head to head games.

Deleted
    Define 'videogame culture'.

Because the average player doesn't frequent forums, doesn't care about esports, doesn't care about skill. It's like Hotdogs; millions eat them and just a handful nerds make a competition out of it.

Same shit, different pile.

Most of us are the same, either we objectify what we can't obtain or we villify it. Doesn't matter the subject, as long as skill is involved in ANY amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Videogame culture, writ large, fetishizes skill. An individual’s skill at a particular game determines the validity of the argument posed by that individual, in most common spheres of discussion. But it’s not a really good barometer for critical meaning by any measure.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. Almost universally, people that are better at a game are more aware of that game's flaws and its strengths. In fact, almost universally, an expert in any given subject will have a more informed opinion about that subject than a novice will. This becomes self evident if you listen to, for example, a Soulbrandt member talk about Dark Souls. Wow players have seen this time and time again. The community offers feedback on a spec in beta, that feedback gets ignored by Blizzard, 6 months later Blizzard implements the changes that were suggested back in beta.

If you don't find that compelling, consider the following. If you were getting medical advice about the risks of a surgery you're considering having, would you ask an elite surgeon or a random person off the street?

The central thesis of the article is demonstrably wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    People have made a ton of shit easier out of a false sense of entitlement. It's part of the reason I only play fighting games these days. Can't get away with that shit in competitve head to head games.
    I've taken to playing older games. Been getting back into Dungeons and Dragons Online. I like my dungeon crawlers to be brutal, unfair, grindy and annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair there is far too much focus on 'skill' these days. Especially in the playerbase of multiplayer games like WoW.

What happened to just having fun? Why ask for the introduction of hair-tearingly frustrating 'challenges'?
    People like me enjoy hair-tearingly frustrating challenges. I am a firm believer in multiple difficulty levels for this reasons. Casual players can have their casual mode, hardcore players can have their hardcore mode.

"Videogame Culture".

You mean the 5 people out of the 100 back in 2000 that played video games while the other 50 mocked them about it?

Or these 50 that suddenly discovered videogames arent that bad after 2007 where there was a bloom, and at the same time degradation in the gaming industry?

Videogames have become too accessible, which is good but this is also the result.

If you are good at them you are somehow in the wrong..What?

- - - Updated - - -

Because too many are playing, when "they shouldnt be" in a way.

"Skill" is thrown around everywhere, and every single game because there are too many horrible players, the type of horrible that makes you wonder "HOW DO YOU NOT CHOKE IN YOUR SALIVA" horrible.

Not trying to be elitist about it, or anything..but the same way i am not doing some other activity which i would be horrible at, there needs to be a way to make people understand how horrible they are at the videogame activity, which is "skill".

I am pretty sure someone else watching me do their main activity would also wonder "How the fuck are you failing that".

There needs to be a way to keep players to their appropriate field.

If i am gonna go learn Karate, or Kickboxing tomorrow, i am not gonna go to the Elitist world level class, i will die.

Games have the same scaling, people just dont wanna accept it cause its "not real".
    Last edited by potis; 2017-09-14 at 01:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    People like me enjoy hair-tearingly frustrating challenges. I am a firm believer in multiple difficulty levels for this reasons. Casual players can have their casual mode, hardcore players can have their hardcore mode.
    And in games without these difficulty modes? Where large sections of the game are locked behind challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Because too many are playing, when "they shouldnt be" in a way.

"Skill" is thrown around everywhere, and every single game because there are too many horrible players, the type of horrible that makes you wonder "HOW DO YOU NOT CHOKE IN YOUR SALIVA" horrible.

Not trying to be elitist about it, or anything..but the same way i am not doing some other activity which i would be horrible at, there needs to be a way to make people understand how horrible they are at the videogame activity, which is "skill".

I am pretty sure someone else watching me do their main activity would also wonder "How the fuck are you failing that".
    But Video Games span such a wide variety of things, why does it have to be about 'challenge'? People can still and should be able to enjoy video games without the need for 'skill'.