Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Overwatch reporting system and Blizzard's actions going forward

Papa Jeff layin down the law.

Deleted
    Finally, I'm excited for this.

Doesn't really seem like anything is changing in terms of the rule breakers. Seems like mostly Jeff is saying the community needs to take it on themselves to be better because they are slowing down game development by reallocating resources to deal with all the toxic attitude... which isn't going to do anything, only give trolls some smug self satisfaction.

What Blizzard should really do to fix the problem is to start actually handing out bans for this kind of stuff. Not just chat silences or mutes. I'm betting a ton of resources could be saved at Blizzard if they didn't have to constantly deal with the repeat offenders.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    They're probably going to make a LoL type toxicity system where you're rewarded if you're a good guy.

Good thing I'm reformed, LUL

All I can think of when watching these any more is the amount of material they're giving Dinoflask to work with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Doesn't really seem like anything is changing in terms of the rule breakers. Seems like mostly Jeff is saying the community needs to take it on themselves to be better because they are slowing down game development by reallocating resources to deal with all the toxic attitude... which isn't going to do anything, only give trolls some smug self satisfaction.

What Blizzard should really do to fix the problem is to start actually handing out bans for this kind of stuff. Not just chat silences or mutes. I'm betting a ton of resources could be saved at Blizzard if they didn't have to constantly deal with the repeat offenders.
    They've said recently the plan is to phase out silences in favour of straight up bans, which should be far more encouraging for people to actually report toxic behaviour. Silences never really had the same punch as a ban and could even be detrimental in some cases so they can't be removed fast enough.

I think they need to come right out and say you can't report someone for playing a character you don't like or not playing as well as you want them to, people still seem to think these are reportable under the 'throwing the match' clause. "Okay you want to play roadhog? I'm reporting you for throwing the match because I want you to play winston!!" It's something I see from time to time.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I think they need to come right out and say you can't report someone for playing a character you don't like or not playing as well as you want them to, people still seem to think these are reportable under the 'throwing the match' clause. "Okay you want to play roadhog? I'm reporting you for throwing the match because I want you to play winston!!" It's something I see from time to time.
    It does when you try to report someone trolling. The report system flat out says "This does not include players using heroes you don't want" or something akin to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It does when you try to report someone trolling. The report system flat out says "This does not include players using heroes you don't want" or something akin to that.
    Yeah, I think that came up a couple weeks ago in another Overwatch thread. This guy was raging that him and his entire team kept reporting this one guy for trolling for playing a character they didn't think was useful on the map, and were mad that he hadn't been banned.

Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    They've said recently the plan is to phase out silences in favour of straight up bans, which should be far more encouraging for people to actually report toxic behaviour. Silences never really had the same punch as a ban and could even be detrimental in some cases so they can't be removed fast enough.
    I may have missed it but where did they say they are going for bans instead of silences?

10+ Year Old Account
    I may have missed it but where did they say they are going for bans instead of silences?
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/over...737651#post-16

I guess not technically a ban, but a suspension is still better.

15+ Year Old Account

Well Blizzard employees can't be there to monitor every game and what is said. It's damn near impossible. So it's up to the community to help police it if we want to get it cleaned up. So players have to spend just a few moments doing a report if someone is so toxic they deserve a ban.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

I'll enjoy abusing this system to report people who play badly.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

They have banned suspendedand hardware banned tons of ppl. Why do you think they havent?
    Romance doesnt detract from a story. Its a Genre, like horror or comedy or adventure. The game was ruined when we got Horror in drustvar or nazmir. It wasnt ruined when we had funny quests. So if you think a little man on man love ruins the game, then yes you are either a homophobe or just a spoil sport that goes "ewww kissing is yucky" like a baby. Furthermore, if a character has never expressed interest in any gender, then its not proof they are straight. straight people are not the default

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Well Blizzard employees can't be there to monitor every game and what is said. It's damn near impossible. So it's up to the community to help police it if we want to get it cleaned up. So players have to spend just a few moments doing a report if someone is so toxic they deserve a ban.
    He's not talking about reporting players. We already do that plenty in game. Jeff is saying that the community just needs to stop being so negative so Blizzard can stop hiring people to sift through all the millions of reports they receive.

"Imagine if you didnt say something negative but said something positive instead".

The player still wouldnt be able to play better cause they simply cant.

Toxicity comes from terrible matchmaking in every single game.

Of course thats the starting source, after awhile it increases because the punishment is marginal and gets out of control.

Blaming the community when they refuse to create better analyzing structure for players is silly.

Why is 10% accuracy player in the same game with a 30% accuracy player averagely?

Why is a 30% accuracy player in the same game as the 50% accuracy player?

Quick example, of course doesnt apply to overwatch per se but to FPS games in general.

Valve is going through the same thing right now in Dota 2, for some reason people with 5000 hours are matched with players with less than 50 hours, and its not smurfs, creating an insanely horrible environment even in non-ranked games.

Its the sole reason i did not buy Overwatch after months of playing it in Beta.

I was not in the mood having to deal with a mass of entitled players because Blizzard would not implement an accurate system to make games non-annoying.

Companies need to stop blaming the communities when it all starts from them because they dont want to invest more money into a better tracking player system to differentiate players into the category they should be.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-09-14 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    "Imagine if you didnt say something negative but said something positive instead".

The player still wouldnt be able to play better cause they simply cant.

Toxicity comes from terrible matchmaking in every single game.

Of course thats the starting source, after awhile it increases because the punishment is marginal and gets out of control.

Blaming the community when they refuse to create better analyzing structure for players is silly.

Why is 10% accuracy player in the same game with a 30% accuracy player averagely?

Why is a 30% accuracy player in the same game as the 50% accuracy player?

Quick example, of course doesnt apply to overwatch per se but to FPS games in general.

Valve is going through the same thing right now in Dota 2, for some reason people with 5000 hours are matched with players with less than 50 hours, and its not smurfs, creating an insanely horrible environment even in non-ranked games.

Its the sole reason i did not buy Overwatch after months of playing it in Beta.

I was not in the mood having to deal with a mass of entitled players because Blizzard would not implement an accurate system to make games non-annoying.

Companies need to stop blaming the communities when it all starts from them because they dont want to invest more money into a better tracking player system to differentiate players into the category they should be.
    Accuracy, hours played, w/e, are all arbitrary. If the matchmaker was balanced around that then people would just find some other random stat to compare against. I've already repeatedly gone into detail about the specifics of Overwatch and how having a large roster of characters to choose from causes wide skill fluctuations in game, making it quite hard to balance the matchmaker around. But I do think Blizzard is actually doing a decent job in that regard.

Toxicity is created because some kid can't handle losing, and there will always be a losing team in these games.

Deleted
    Accuracy, hours played, w/e, are all arbitrary. If the matchmaker was balanced around that then people would just find some other random stat to compare against. I've already repeatedly gone into detail about the specifics of Overwatch and how having a large roster of characters to choose from causes wide skill fluctuations in game, making it quite hard to balance the matchmaker around. But I do think Blizzard is actually doing a decent job in that regard.

Toxicity is created because some kid can't handle losing, and there will always be a losing team in these games.
    Well, it' skinda frustrating when you are put against lvl 400 and 500 when you are only lvl 100 and with a lvl 11.... and you get even more mad when the lvl 500 say:"BUT LVL MEANS NOTHING LUL". Yeah, countless more hours in a game totally do not count.....

[QUOTE= Toxicity is created because some kid can't handle losing, and there will always be a losing team in these games.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    Well, it' skinda frustrating when you are put against lvl 400 and 500 when you are only lvl 100 and with a lvl 11.... and you get even more mad when the lvl 500 say:"BUT LVL MEANS NOTHING LUL". Yeah, countless more hours in a game totally do not count.....
    Well when you see people who are level 500 (8 -10 games per level = 4,000 to 5,000 games experience) still running in by themselves to get blown away by 6 players and teams that refuse to have any tanks and or healers then I would suggest that countless more hours in a game totally do not count.

How many times do I have to tell people not to shoot the big red bubbles still? How often do I have to remind my team to kill the healer first and they still don't do it. How often do you see a dps sinking ammo into a tank that is being healed by mercy when they should be killing mercy? The guy on genji who refuses to change to counter the Winston, Doomfist, Symetra and Mei who hecant deflect?
    The list goes on and on and thousands of games does not mean anyone actually learns to play better.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.