Page 1 of 2
LastLast

3 congressmen reportedly arrested outside of Trump Tower during protest

Three U.S. congressmen were arrested outside of Trump Tower in New York on Tuesday as part of a Dream Act protest, according to an advocacy organization.

Democratic Reps. Adriano Espaillat of New York, Luis V. Gutierrez of Illinois and Raul M. Grijalva of Arizona were part of at least 10 people detained outside of the Tower, tweeted the group Make the Road New York, which calls itself the state's largest immigrant organization. Melissa Mark-Viverito, Speaker of the New York City Council, was also arrested.

The group says the lawmakers were calling for a "clean" Dream Act not tied to border security.

A reporter with the New York Daily News says the lawmakers were sitting in the street outside of Trump Tower, the office building owned by President Donald Trump that he also called home before heading to the White House. The president is in New York City to join other world leaders at the United Nations General Assembly.

The protest comes less than two weeks after Trump said he would phase out an Obama-era program known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, which provides deportations protection for young immigrants in the U.S. illegally. He left the road open for Congress to fix it over the next six months and has expressed support for the more than 700,000 affected by the program, though concerns remain.

After a meeting last week, Democratic congressional leaders said they had reached a deal with Trump on DACA, but the the White House denied there was an agreement in place.

The Dream Act, a bipartisan measure with similar goals to DACA, has come up in Congress multiple times in the past 16 years but never passed into law.
    Arborist still climbing trees at 83!
    Woman fakes seizure to avoid would-be mugger that handed her frightening note
    69 Shares

Updated: 6:12 AM EDT Sep 19, 2017
    By Evan Sernoffsky

Julie Dragland said her rule during a robbery is to hand over the goods and protect her safety.

But the quick-thinking, 32-year-old Oakland resident thought otherwise Saturday when a would-be mugger behind her on a BART train handed her a frightening note that said there were two guns pointed at her.

Instead of giving her wallet and phone to the crook, Dragland faked a seizure that attracted the attention of people on the train and sent her mugger scurrying for the nearest exit in San Francisco.

“When I read the note, I started freaking out,” she said Sunday. “I did not want to give up my stuff, but I had no idea who was behind me.”

Dragland posted a picture of the note on social media shortly after the confrontation ended. BART police said they’re searching for a suspect and reviewing security camera footage from the train.

The episode happened as Dragland rode the Dublin-bound train through San Francisco from Daly City to the East Bay. Around 4:50 p.m., a person behind her handed her a note written in red ink on a torn sheet of lined paper.

“There are 2 guns pointed at you now,” the note read. “If you want to live hand back your wallet + phone NOW + do not turn around and be descreet. Do not turn around until after you have left civic center + you will live.”

At first she didn’t know what to do. Dragland — who does public relations work for a San Francisco video game company — said she mouthed “help me” to a man standing nearby.

When he got off the train, she realized she would have to improvise.

“I probably looked very ridiculous,” she said. “I slumped sideways and started shaking and crying. I closed my eyes and increased the vigor so people would pay attention.”

A couple nearby came over and asked if she was OK, and Dragland handed them the note. She suspects the culprit got off at the next stop — Civic Center Station. She also thinks her robber was an older woman with a suitcase.

BART police confirmed as much in a log sheet that tracks crimes on its system.

“The victim was not sure who handed her the note, and did not see anyone with a weapon,” police wrote in a summary of the incident.

Officers checked the station but did not find a person matching the description.

Dragland told police she will not press charges if the person is located and said she wants the whole incident behind her.

But regardless of whether she participates in prosecuting the nefarious note-passer, BART officials said they are reviewing the security video on the train, hoping to get footage of a suspect.

Asked how she came up with the idea to fake a seizure, Dragland said, “I think it had something to do with watching a lot of ‘Law and Order.’ I think I saw that in an episode. I was very impressed with myself.”

http://www.wlwt.com/article/3-congre...otest/12275283

I am embarrassed for those 3 states, I think they should all resign out of office.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the fuck is the second half about?

Do you people not proof-read after copy and pasting?

Also why were they arrested?

I think they were arrested because they were sitting in a street, if I'm reading correctly. Only thing I can guess.

OP, as always, showing his support for fascism and dictatorship with suggestions that congressmen should resign for daring to show their dissent to bad policy. What a trooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I think they were arrested because they were sitting in a street, if I'm reading correctly. Only thing I can guess.

OP, as always, showing his support for fascism and dictatorship with suggestions that congressmen should resign for daring to show their dissent to bad policy. What a trooper.
    I don't think being against people breaking the law is the definition of fascism and dictatorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboi View Post
    I don't think being against people breaking the law is the definition of fascism and dictatorship.
    The severity of their law breaking being like a few steps above getting a speeding ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the law and who writes them. But I think you knew that, and are just trying to stay in character. So carry on.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

No, but your belief that anyone who disagrees with Trump in the form of civil disobedience needs to be removed from the political discourse certainly fits that bill.

Wait what... why did you copy and paste a second article that isn't related? And what did the congressmen do?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    The severity of their law breaking being like a few steps above getting a speeding ticket.
    No, and they should use better conduct.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    No, but your belief that anyone who disagrees with Trump in the form of civil disobedience needs to be removed from the political discourse certainly fits that bill.
    Can you get arrested for disagreeing with Trump? The answer is no, therefore your point makes no sense at all, thank you for waisting our time.

No, and they should use better conduct.
    If you are asking for better conduct from elected officials you should not be a Trump supporter. I mean come on now even if you have to get the giant irony here.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    If you are asking for better conduct from elected officials you should not be a Trump supporter. I mean come on now even if you have to get the giant irony here.
    The poster is a cartoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    The poster is a cartoon.
    Not a particularly amusing one unfortunately.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Deleted
    The ironic part - all 3 of them are elected officials whose job it is to write FEDERAL legislation, which could actually help those DACA kids.

Instead, they take time off from their jobs and go protest? Instead of doing their jobs? WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY PROTESTING? For their elected officials to pass a law? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

I swear, just when you think that it couldn't get more comical and insane...they top themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    The ironic part - all 3 of them are elected officials whose job it is to write FEDERAL legislation, which could actually help those DACA kids.

Instead, they take time off from their jobs and go protest? Instead of doing their jobs? WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY PROTESTING? For their elected officials to pass a law? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

I swear, just when you think that it couldn't get more comical and insane...they top themselves.
    How's replacing Obamacare going? Didn't conservatives have 7 years to write good legislation instead of... I guess they were just sitting on their hands bitching and moaning.

Part of a politicians job includes the possibility of civic activism, FYI. Even if that means something as simple as going to a protest and engaging in civil disobedience.

You guys should probably brush up on the functions and tactics of protests. Just because a person is arrested during a protest doesn't mean they are a criminal by any stretch.

No wonder buttery males are so upset with government; they have 0 idea about how it functions.

On a side note, this poster Hellboi is exactly why people make fun of Trump supporters. It's clear that he reads one sentence in something then doesn't read the rest, so he links a massive unrelated article. Lol these people are dumb.
    Last edited by Vyuvarax; 2017-09-19 at 08:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Part of a politicians job includes the possibility of civic activism, FYI. Even if that means something as simple as going to a protest and engaging in civil disobedience.
    Or, conversely, the could do the job they were elected to do and WRITE SOME FUCKING LEGISLATION!

BTW - what you call "civil disobedience" I call a bunch of fucking crybabies. DACA was a bullshit, unconstitutional "memo" - not an Executive Order or a law. These elected officials have the ability to actually write LAWS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    How's replacing Obamacare going? Didn't conservatives have 7 years to write good legislation instead of... I guess they were just sitting on their hands bitching and moaning.
    I agree - Republicans are no better than Democrats. As you said, they had 7 years and when the time came for the rubber to hit the road they turned out to be just a bunch of bullshit politicians, as usual. McConnell and Ryan are as much pieces of shit as Obama was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awh, do I not get an answer about how his belived Republicans, Trump included, are a bunch of, and I quote "fucking crybabies", from @Ransath?

Sad.

Edit:Oh he edited his post to add one. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Awh, do I not get an answer about how his belived Republicans, Trump included, are a bunch of, and I quote "fucking crybabies", from @Ransath?

Sad.
    He's just shitposting if he actually thinks these congressmen aren't going to back replacement legislation for DACA.