Poll: What do you prefer?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I defeated Illidan in battle. I killed Arthas, Deathwing, Multiple Old Gods, cleansed the Emerald Dream. I've left mountains of corpses in my Wake. I'm the leader of all the (Insert Class Here.) I've single handedly killed enough orcs to bury Ogrimar in bones. I am the equal, if not flat out superior, to most of the lore characters in WoW. How many times have I had to save their asses now? I've lost count.

I'm sorry Village Mayor that these Kobold's are raiding your town... Let me dispatch some of my followers to deal with such a matter.

I've moved beyond the days of being a simple adventurer. I'm no longer just a nameless face in the crowd.

"I'm the kinda G that little homies want to be like"
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    I defeated Illidan in battle. I killed Arthas, Deathwing, Multiple Old Gods, cleansed the Emerald Dream. I've left mountains of corpses in my Wake. I'm the leader of all the (Insert Class Here.) I've single handedly killed enough orcs to bury Ogrimar in bones. I am the equal, if not flat out superior, to most of the lore characters in WoW. How many times have I had to save their asses now? I've lost count.

I'm sorry Village Mayor that these Kobold's are raiding your town... Let me dispatch some of my followers to deal with such a matter.

I've moved beyond the days of being a simple adventurer. I'm no longer just a nameless face in the crowd.

"I'm the kinda G that little homies want to be like"
    I seriously wonder sometimes if the people who make these posts are blizzard shills or otherwise somehow indoctrinated. It's completely baffling to me that anyone could have this viewpoint.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want smaller threats like the Iron Horde and the Thunder King back. At least as important secondary villains.
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

I like fighting baddies who have big build up, great back story and a reason to kill them!

Its no secret the only boss i screamed 'FUCK YEAH' on vent was the lich king back in wrath cause it felt like a end to a game i started back in WC3!

No other boss has made me feel that way since and prolly never will in the future!.

This poll scares me. I hope Blizz doesn't collect feedback like that and we return to Vanilla immersion where your character was a nobody. I know Legion makes you "the one" and that goes a bit too far, but fighting small time outlaws and being a mundane adventurer is by no means rewarding in an expansive universe like the Warcraft one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post

That's exactly what I want to say myself. Thank you for the insight sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I agree that it is stale.
    I too feel kind of numb and no matter what horror Blizzard throws at me, nothing gets that creepy feeling back that I had when I played Warcraft III.

It's just that, considering how powerful and experienced our characters are now, no pirate lord would be able to pose a believable danger to them. I mean we would need pirate lords with the power of multiple titans at this point. >.<
    Im really hoping that we somehow "get stripped" of all of our might going into next expansion. Its out of hand how "powerful" we are.

5+ Year Old Account
    SMALLER!
    Easier to relate to plus its' always a lot more interesting to see what their next step will be, while big threats are usually just... big threats.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    This poll scares me. I hope Blizz doesn't collect feedback like that and we return to Vanilla immersion where your character was a nobody. I know Legion makes you "the one" and that goes a bit too far, but fighting small time outlaws and being a mundane adventurer is by no means rewarding in an expansive universe like the Warcraft one.
    I'll try my best to explain why i like small threats, even though i don't understand why very well.

I think first of all is because it's more realistic. Even though it's a fantasy world and nothing is "realistic", i think is easier to understand.
    Second, i like the humanization of villains because is easier to relate to. Their past and story is easy to relate to and understand while if we are fighting a God is just fantasy.
    Also i like to feel like an adventurer. An adventurer doesn't fight Gods, we would have to be almost gods ourselves. Helping towns and cities is more...realistic.

I can't explain it very well. There is some kind of aura in humanized villains that is very easy to relate to.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-09-25 at 01:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankelmir View Post
    I seriously wonder sometimes if the people who make these posts are blizzard shills or otherwise somehow indoctrinated. It's completely baffling to me that anyone could have this viewpoint.
    Why? We play video games to feel powerful. Exterminating rats who trouble Ol' Jackson's is not powerful. Killing Old Gods and banishing Titans is powerful.

We are part of the Army of Light now. Why on earth would I want to go back to rounding up Random McRandomface the big bad bandit who stole 4 coppers from Matilda.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I'll try my best to explain why i like small threats, even though i don't understand why very well.

I think first of all is because it's more realistic. Even though it's a fantasy world and nothing is "realistic", i think is easier to understand.
    Second, i like the humanization of villains because is easier to relate to. Their past and story is easy to relate to and understand while if we are fighting a God is just fantasy.
    Also i like to feel like an adventurer. An adventurer doesn't fight Gods, we would have to be almost gods ourselves. Helping towns and cities is more...realistic.

I can't explain it very well. There is some kind of aura in humanized villains that is very easy to relate to.
    You're speaking - or in this case, typing - the truth! The Old God, Deathwing, Void, Light, Burning Legion angle that they've pushed doesn't jive with the theme or story of the game. WoW is - at its heart - a medieval, fantasy game that's centered around Tolkien/Germanic folklore. Alas, we're running off to other planets on interdimensional spaceships.

P.S. Before someone highlights Draenor and Outland, I would simply offer the rebuke that the story was better, i.e. Draenor/Outland had an air of mystery to it that was coupled with a reasonable story in the Dark Portal, Sargeras, Medivh, and Gul'dan backdrop.

P.P.S. WoW has turned into a DIII version of an MMO-RPG with arcade elements, a shitty story, a divided player base that splits between traditional MMO-RPG players and post-millennial, ADHD/ADD rejects, and a development team that's only interested in milking the franchise for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by In Ogres We Trust; 2017-09-25 at 01:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want Blizzard to somehow write that we as the player lose a good chunk of our power, introduce a stat squish and we - while still strong heroes - go back to our roots.

With the loss of most of our power small timers use this oppertunity to do bad shit and we have to band together to stop them.

There could still be some master of puppets pulling the strings in the shadows to keep us occupied while he/she does other bad stuff that we're too late to stop etc.

I'm a bit tired of planet-ending baddies at this point.

I want some pirates to drink Azeroth juice and attack several places from sea, they can easily make world quests for that too. Maybe even old god minions in disguise could steal some of it and sell the juice to several baddies to cause chaos or keep us busy.

5+ Year Old Account
    I usually like both. A lot of WoW questing is 'help x with collecting x' 'help this group kill this group' which makes the world feel bigger. I think its a good breather for leveling at the start of the expansion. Like there are other tribes/villagers/whatever with their own intricate problems. Then at max level, its like we get 'in' on this bigger threat (which makes sense for raids and stuff).

Thats how it feels atleast, maybe a little less so in legion. In legion its all: legion legion legion legion legion legion legion legion... help us hero... you know you're a hero, right? Heres your hero artefact, hero. We need you hero. Good job hero. Explore here, hero. Like k, i get it, but that guy over there is a hero too sooo i don't feel THAT cool.

Theres also a sprinkle of highmountain history, valajar mystique, alliance vs horde bitchery, druid problemz... It felt more 'contained', carefully constructed (maybe a little too much?). Still fun, but they've been pounding the legion drums so constantly that we're gonna need some air.

Deleted
    I dont understand people, in endgame we have always been fighting "gods", vanilla we had ragnaros, one of the most powerful beings on azeroth, and old god and the son of deathwing, its not like raid bosses was bandits at the start. and we arent "just som typical adventurer anymore", we have as a player have ended more threats than any other major character in the game, they should treat us as strong powerful leaders

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilqt View Post
    I dont understand people, in endgame we have always been fighting "gods", vanilla we had ragnaros, one of the most powerful beings on azeroth, and old god and the son of deathwing, its not like raid bosses was bandits at the start. and we arent "just som typical adventurer anymore", we have as a player have ended more threats than any other major character in the game, they should treat us as strong powerful leaders
    Unless you managed to solo those bosses in vanilla you're not a powerful leader, thats the point. We did it as a group of people, a band of heroes came together to stop a powerful enemy.

While both big and smaller threats play out similarly in-game (It all ends up in "Kill a bunch of dudes", leading up to "Now kill the big dude!"), i would like an expansion of lesser threats with hints to the bigger threat looming (Something void-related, Blizzard are as subtle as an 18-wheeler truck with their hints :3 ), a bit of build-up rather than going from one world-ending threat right on to the next, even Azeroth should have (deceptively) peaceful times...

Balance is the key.
    It's nice to fight bandits and such, and it's fun to stop a big threat. But we can't have big threat after big threat, we need to sometimes deal with smaller stuff.

So, in essence, I like both. But I feel storylines have gotten too much "one end-of-the-world threat after another", and need some breather. An expansion focused on rebuilding the world, dealing with minor threats, conflicts between mortals (and factions), political intrigue and so on would be very welcome right now.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Both, 1 overarching main villain, with side-threats.

Legion zones do fairly well with each zone having it's own distinct dungeon themes/end bosses, not all 100% Burning Legion.

So future expansions likely will be a mix of old god/naga/void , with likely some local new threats in the form of trolls or pirates or new creatures.

Blizz didn't want a 100% argus expansion cause they knew they need the variation.

Every expansion has had it's mix of at least like 5 different more local threats or lesser minions of said big threat.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-09-25 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Do you enjoy fighting Big Threats like Old Gods or you prefer fighting Pirates, Thiefs, Mad Scientists, Vampires, Werewolves etc

I don't know why but i prefer fighting small time outlaws. My favorite instance is the old Deadmines for example and i have no idea why.
    Vampirates!

Considering what now WoW took Light vs Shadow path of story progression with edgy and dramatic idiots like Illidan i would prefer small locale outlaws/threats.

Defias Brotherhood probably was one of the best story in Vanilla. Its not surprising what that story motivated people to create something like this:

Story of Stalvan Mistmantle who followed his lust that led him into damnation also was great! Or story of Morgan Ladimore.

To be honest these small stories have more impact and deep than all this cosmic Light vs Shadow bullshit.