Page 29 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    The show is missing something. The darker tone is ok, but it needs something to balance it out.

Almost all of the characters introduced after the pilot are cold and semi-emotionless, and this just makes them boring. Bernham seems to be the only real focus of the show, which makes the small cast feel even smaller. I'm honestly not sure whether I'm supposed to consider the captain, the security officer and the others as main characters or side characters. They are so immemorable that I don't even remember their names.

Right now, the best way I can describe the show is like space - cold and empty, with a few bright dots.

I thought Saru did a good job as her former crew mate.

Sylvia did a good job too, she's funny and interesting.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    another amazing ST episode, can't wait until next week

Deleted
    Ok.. just finished the third one... I actually almost liked it... But it felt more like Alien than Star Trek. Definitely not Star Trek.
    And I still can not accept the monstrous creatures they are calling klingons... I still hope that somehow the research they are speaking about in this last episode will in some way change them all to their old looks... maybe a little updated, but still recognizable as the traditional klingons we are all used to.

I dont like it, the setting is ok and most of the characters are ok, but I really dislike the attitude of the lead. This whole vulcan and rebellion thing. Wouldn't rebellion be the last thing you would expect from a vulcan. The character contradicts itself so much that I have hard time believing that kind of person would pass any military organization tests. I like star trek because its supposed to be casual military setting. But with the lead this just feels like "ok we are supposed to be military but whatever".

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    We are Expanse now boiz!
    Like when they boarded Glenn i wait for Miller to show up every minute.
    Overall i like the third ep the most. There is mystery and suspense, and abominations, and gore. Everything i love Star Trek for... oh wait. But seriously though. I love this episode.
    And Jason Isaacs. Fucking terrific. Nailed star fleet captain's role perfectly. If they won't fuck him up, i gonna love him as much as Pickard.

Oh and btw both protagonist and captain were named after archangels.
    Last edited by Harbour; 2017-10-02 at 10:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    We are Expanse now boiz!
    Like when they boarded Glenn i wait for Miller to show up every minute.
    Overall i like the third ep the most. There is mystery and suspense, and abominations, and gore. Everything i love Star Trek for... oh wait. But seriously though. I love this episode.
    And Jason Isaacs. Fucking terrific. Nailed star fleet captain's role perfectly. If they won't fuck him up, i gonna love him as much as Pickard.

Oh and btw both protagonist and captain were named after archangels.
    He did a fantastic job, but as a Starfleet Captain? The third episode was a lot better than the first in terms of TV, but this is still a far cry from what Star Trek was...

The prison transport... Everyone on there is a racist (literally all 3 of them ridiculing/disparaging alien races) violent piece of shit (I get it, criminals)... But the show takes place in a time and society where no one is supposed to be any of those things, let alone all of them. Speaking of the transport... The captain arranged for them to be there so he could test Michael... So he just got that pilot killed for no reason and neither he nor Michael seem to give a shit, wtf? :P

And then on the ship, everyone is just a nasty, rude, judgmental piece of shit... The security chief, the lead engineer, the chick with the thing on her head Michael seems to know, even the special needs girl (and everyone else in the crew short of the tall alien dude)... Once again, in a time and place when none of those things are supposed to be qualities found among humanity any longer.

I mean ENT took place a century before this and the xenophobia towards aliens in the wake of the Xindi attack was surprising to the crew, they had never seen such behavior, humanity had moved beyond it even by that point... And then when push came to shove those that harbored ill will towards the Xindi (like Tucker) forgave them...

And then the war... The shit has been going on for a few weeks and already they are pulling some Section 31 secret weapon research/weapons of last resort bullshit (the monster/secret lab at the end, not the faster travel)... Like what? It just started and only a few thousand people died... Tragic, but its not like the Federation is against the ropes and needs to look into that shit...

And then the captain... Sure he seemed like a good Starfleet officer... Right up until the end when he is in his secret lab scheming with a bunch of weapons, bodies, and the monster from the other ship... That isn't Starfleet.

After the third episode, the show seems passable as a generic science fiction show... But it spits on the legacy of Star Trek at every turn.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I want to say that humans in Trek (or at least the humans we see in Starfleet) have always been alien compared to us. It's the aliens in the show that are usually given the job of reflecting different aspects of ourselves.
    Specifically because in Genes' vision humanity had risen above that sort of petty horse shit. It was highly idealistic, sad we can't have some more of that, nope lets just be "overly dark, generic interpersonal drama in space" #50. I get the "its not realistic" argument, I just dismiss it outright, Its Star Trek, it need not be realistic to the nth degree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Its...

passable I guess? Seems less star trek and more generic space show honestly.
    Thats exactly what it is. This will not be a lasting series. I wouldn't be surprised if NF decided to not pay for S2 and CBS just moved on.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    And he told you how you can find it for yourself. Also, him not including a link for you doesn't make it any less true (and it is most definitely true). It's nobody's job but yours to alleviate your own ignorance, especially when you have access to a worldwide computer network with extensive search capabilities. Message forums are not term papers, documentaries, or Wikipedia entries. People are not required to cite references for anything and everything they say, let alone when a clueless sod screams about not knowing something in annoying and douchey ways.
    Yeah nothing shows up except for Discovery on google. If you want to make a claim back it up with evidence. Otherwise don't expect people to believe you.

Nice passive aggressiveness there by the way, while trying to point a finger at me as well. Classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    He did a fantastic job, but as a Starfleet Captain? The third episode was a lot better than the first in terms of TV, but this is still a far cry from what Star Trek was...

The prison transport... Everyone on there is a racist (literally all 3 of them ridiculing/disparaging alien races) violent piece of shit (I get it, criminals)... But the show takes place in a time and society where no one is supposed to be any of those things, let alone all of them. Speaking of the transport... The captain arranged for them to be there so he could test Michael... So he just got that pilot killed for no reason and neither he nor Michael seem to give a shit, wtf? :P
    There were criminals in the Federation: Kodos the Executionner, Harry Mudd, Lon Suder, Liam Bilby. Tom Paris was courtmartialed for his participation in the Maquis. By definition, all Maquis members were criminals in the eye of the Federation. The New Essentialists were basically terrorists. Admiral Leighton tried a coup d'État during the Dominion War. Vash may not be a criminal, but she is quite shady... You are idealizing too much the Federation and humanity in Star Trek. The humans are better, but there are still black sheeps.

Captain Lorca is indeed shady, but it does not mean that he got that pilot killed. It may still have been an accident.

And then on the ship, everyone is just a nasty, rude, judgmental piece of shit... The security chief, the lead engineer, the chick with the thing on her head Michael seems to know, even the special needs girl (and everyone else in the crew short of the tall alien dude)... Once again, in a time and place when none of those things are supposed to be qualities found among humanity any longer.
    Michael Burnham is a rebel and the cause for the war with the Klingons. Of course everyone in the ship wont like her! And "the chick with the thing on her head" was Keyla Detmer, one of her crewmates on board the Shenzhou.

I mean ENT took place a century before this and the xenophobia towards aliens in the wake of the Xindi attack was surprising to the crew, they had never seen such behavior, humanity had moved beyond it even by that point... And then when push came to shove those that harbored ill will towards the Xindi (like Tucker) forgave them...
    Starfleet officers have a lot of contact with aliens. But ordinary citizen may not. So some remnant of xenophobia is not surprising.

And then the war... The shit has been going on for a few weeks and already they are pulling some Section 31 secret weapon research/weapons of last resort bullshit (the monster/secret lab at the end, not the faster travel)... Like what? It just started and only a few thousand people died... Tragic, but its not like the Federation is against the ropes and needs to look into that shit...
    We don't know yet what are the casualties after six months of war. It seems though that the Federation is not doing so well. We do not know if the Discovery is doing research for Section 31. It is possible, but we don't know. What we do know is that R&D is Starfleet's forte. The USS Defiant was a warship armed with quantum torpedoes designed to fight the Borg. As Gul Dukat said: "I've found it wise to never underestimate the Federation's technical skills." So it is not surprising at all that the Discovery is a science ship. And the scientific purpose of the ship leaves place to "explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilization, to boldly go where no one has gone before."

And then the captain... Sure he seemed like a good Starfleet officer... Right up until the end when he is in his secret lab scheming with a bunch of weapons, bodies, and the monster from the other ship... That isn't Starfleet.

After the third episode, the show seems passable as a generic science fiction show... But it spits on the legacy of Star Trek at every turn.
    Granted, the captain is shady, that's undeniable. He's not your typical Starfleet captain (at least when it's a main character). So what? I find that intriguing. What are his intentions? That's one advantage of not having the captain as main character of the show... Also, let's not forget that Discovery is built as one great story arc, contrary to most Star Trek series, which are more episodic. That means that we wont be spoonfed every details in a one hour episode.

And for all the reasons above, I disagree that Discovery spits on the legacy of Star Trek. It's different, but it's still Star Trek to me.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    So what?
    Silly boy. Everyone knows that in order to be True Star Trek, nothing can ever change and every character, plot, and interaction needs to be more of the same. That's why Voyager was received so well, since it was basically just a rehash of everything that had come before, and outside of that Year of Hell two-parter, there were absolutely no stakes for a ship completely isolated from Starfleet and the Federation.

All of this is so funny to me given how often I've heard people say that The Orville is the real Star Trek show...when I can guarantee the if it actually did bear that name, those very same people would be foaming at the mouth over how disrespectful it is to the legacy of Trek.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2017-10-03 at 02:16 AM.

Deleted
    Silly boy. Everyone knows that in order to be True Star Trek, nothing can ever change and every character, plot, and interaction needs to be more of the same. That's why Voyager was received so well, since it was basically just a rehash of everything that had come before, and outside of that Year of Hell two-parter, there were absolutely no stakes for a ship completely isolated from Starfleet and the Federation..

All of this is so funny to me given how often I've heard people say that The Orville is the real Star Trek show...when I can guarantee the if it actually did bear that name, those very same people would be foaming at the mouth over how disrespectful it is to the legacy of Trek.
    yep.

"Oh no! The Klingon's design changed! It's not real Trek! What? They changed the design between the original movies and TNG already? Doesn't matter, I like MY Klingons best!" Every forum the last months.

watched EP3 and really WTF ... how did the federation go from what it was in Enterprise to this cardassian wanna be military force.... and the tech being more advanced than even voyager just breaks any sense of continuity between the series. It would make so much more sense if it was set post dominion war..
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Yeah nothing shows up except for Discovery on google. If you want to make a claim back it up with evidence. Otherwise don't expect people to believe you.
    First, it wasn't my claim to begin with.
    Second, I literally just did a Google search on the topic and found tons of links to discussions about it. Maybe you should actually learn how to use Google properly? Just a helpful thought.
    Third, you might want to read some of the other posts here, where other people are fully aware of what's going on, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone
    I think you're reading too much into what happened in a single episode.
    Nope, it came straight out of the horse's mouth. The Klingons in Discovery are a metaphor for Trumpettes and white nationalists.

As with the guy above, one's own ignorance on a topic isn't equivalent to fact.
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    First, it wasn't my claim to begin with.
    Second, I literally just did a Google search on the topic and found tons of links to discussions about it. Maybe you should actually learn how to use Google properly? Just a helpful thought.
    Third, you might want to read some of the other posts here, where other people are fully aware of what's going on, too.

Nope, it came straight out of the horse's mouth. The Klingons in Discovery are a metaphor for Trumpettes and white nationalists.

As with the guy above, one's own ignorance on a topic isn't equivalent to fact.
    You are really sticking with the whole passive aggressive but trying to play it off as if someone else is "ignorant". Truly classic. If you want people to take you seriously, provide evidence for your claims. If it's so easy to find, it should take you less time to post a source link than it did you write your whole comment. The only one being ignorant here is you. I'm happy to talk about things that are real but if you want to just passive aggressively argue with people while pretending like you are in the right you will get no further response.

Found the last episode interesting and entertaining, will continue to watch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    I dont like it, the setting is ok and most of the characters are ok, but I really dislike the attitude of the lead. This whole vulcan and rebellion thing. Wouldn't rebellion be the last thing you would expect from a vulcan. The character contradicts itself so much that I have hard time believing that kind of person would pass any military organization tests. I like star trek because its supposed to be casual military setting. But with the lead this just feels like "ok we are supposed to be military but whatever".
    She's a human, only raised as vulcan right? I hate her as an actress ever since TWD, worst possible choice as lead -_- I think I'll have to stop watching if she becomes captain.

@other poster Orville is too modern-day issue for me, completely ruins the whole scifi mood, I get it's trying to be edgy and I like mcfarlane but that kind of crap doesn't belong in a scifi... but it's his show so whatever.

This show may have crap writers that have never watched star trek but since they cancelled dark matter I have nothing else to watch or look forward to, except killjoys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    @other poster Orville is too modern-day issue for me, completely ruins the whole scifi mood, I get it's trying to be edgy and I like mcfarlane but that kind of crap doesn't belong in a scifi... but it's his show so whatever.
    You must have never watched any sci-fi series ever, or you're just an idiot.

Pick one. Lie to me and tell me you've watched every sci-fi series ever made. Lie to me and tell me that those shows never tackled real-world social issues through the lens of their program. Lie to me and tell me that sci-fi shows have never made a habit of addressing modern social issues.

Please, your lies feed my ignore list.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    You must have never watched any sci-fi series ever, or you're just an idiot.

Pick one. Lie to me and tell me you've watched every sci-fi series ever made. Lie to me and tell me that those shows never tackled real-world social issues through the lens of their program. Lie to me and tell me that sci-fi shows have never made a habit of addressing modern social issues.

Please, your lies feed my ignore list.
    Yes, I'm sure the Kardashians and Kermit the Frog are pressing modern-day issues that totally need to be tackled in sci-fi.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    if she doesn't spend 99% of the time with an expression on her face like she's got a ten foot pole stuck up her ass
    Well, I called this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I'm afraid we'll have the first lead who unfortunately lacks any of that kind of charisma, and definitely can't pull off any kind of warm or mischievous vibe
    And this one.

So far, anyway. It's not, as just a show, necessarily as huge of a turd as I expected. As just a show, it might just be entertaining. It's just got no Star Trek feel to it, at all. It's just not a Star Trek. If you look at ToS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and even Enterprise, they all had a certain lightheartedness about them, and this feeling of being in the Star Trek universe, even during wartime. Discovery feels more BSG to me. It wants to be so serious and gritty, that it completely eschews everything that Star Trek has always been in the past. Aside from the lens flare movies of course, but I'm not including those.

I'd have to say, since this stubbornly continues to call itself a Star Trek, that this is a third Star Trek universe now. Well, fourth perhaps, if you really hated where Enterprise took us, but in any case, this one doesn't belong to the same continuum as ToS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

Silly boy. Everyone knows that in order to be True Star Trek, nothing can ever change and every character, plot, and interaction needs to be more of the same. That's why Voyager was received so well, since it was basically just a rehash of everything that had come before, and outside of that Year of Hell two-parter, there were absolutely no stakes for a ship completely isolated from Starfleet and the Federation.

No, but it must be true to the optimistic outset Star Trek always had. The future is bright.

Discovery is BSG wannabe. An officer calling prisoners garbage or animals? WTF.