Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    I understand your point, and I can't disagree, because it is true, but there is also the fact that GW2 doesn't prioritize the raiding scene, while the PvE endgame of WoW is almost 100% the raiding scene. ANET isn't trying to compete in this aspect with WoW, so that's why development has been kinda slow. But we got another things in the PvE environment, which is cool
    And that is outright false considering the amount of non raiding content there is to do in WoW at endgame.

PvP, Dungeons, Pet Battles, Achievement Hunting, World Quests, Roleplaying (doesn't even have to be endgame), World events, Micro Holidays and god knows what else.

I get you like GW2 a lot but to claim WoW solely focuses it's endgame on raiding alone is disingenuous and close to dumping on one game to make another appear better.

And what else do you have in the "PvE environment" besides the Living Story and Events? The Living Story is basically the same as how WoW provides it's story content with patches (Broken Shore being debatable with how awful it was) and as for events it has invasions, micro events and holidays.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-12 at 02:30 AM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    And what else do you have in the "PvE environment" besides the Living Story and Events?
    PvP, Dungeons, Fractals, Achievement Hunting, Legendary Crafting, Roleplaying (doesn't even have to be endgame), World events, Micro Holidays and god knows what else.

PvP, Dungeons, Fractals, Achievement Hunting, Legendary Crafting, Roleplaying (doesn't even have to be endgame), World events, Micro Holidays and god knows what else.
    Dungeons? How are they meaningful when Arenanet have abandoned them?

Fractals? That isn't like raiding where you grind the same crap every day with maybe a different fractal?

PvP. Yep I'll give you that one. Should be bigger than 5v5.

Achievement Hunting. You mean so you can get into those groups asking for AP to prove your worth like WoW does? LFM 5KAP PLUS!

Legendary Crafting. Nowhere near meaningful other than getting something that looks better in a subjective manner. Only small advantage it has is interchangeable stats. Plus if you are willing to fork out the cash you can skip it.

Roleplaying. Agreed on that one. Although where is the RP community these days? Megaserver tech absolutely gutted it and don't even try to claim it didn't.

World Events. I literally just said that above did I not? Events being stuff like Dragons Stand or any event in a zone.

GW2 holidays aren't micro. Nowhere near. I was referring to the recently added ones in WoW.

So my point proven. You are attacking one game to make the one you are clearly defending appear better. Since I don't really have any patience for people like that I'll just throw you on ignore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    The reasons I stopped playing:

No real endgame
    No gear progression other than the fractal items and 'artifact'? weapons
    No reason to be part of a guild
    Unstable servers on world events
    Skills locked to weapon choices which as an Elementalist in particular completely sucked since you were often locked into very specific play styles with half of your abilities being worthless 90% of the time.

When I last played GW2, the only real thing it had going for it at max level was the PvP which simply just wasn't enough for me to stick with it. I stopped playing not long after the Karka event, I have no plans to return.
    1. Pretty much. Once I'm done farming my Viper set there is no need for me to go back to Tarir. And mindless Fractal spam is boring.

2. Agreed. I like the increased level cap and having to work on the treadmill again.

3. I've never been in one so no comment.

4. Not unstable just laggy as hell even turned down.

5. Never seen that as an issue personally. Always played what I wanted unless it was PvP then I did use build guides as an example.

I just don't have the motivation for PoF. Not a bad game but it's not flawless either. Plus lot of friends have stopped playing who bought the expansion citing boredom after the story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I'm playing GW2 right now, but VERY casually. I mainly will log in, and try to full complete a zone and its discoverys and vistas and such. But I usually only play for like maybe 1-2 hours a week, since WoW and other games / RL stuff takes up most of my time.

I like GW2, just don't find / make time to play it much. :/
    Same Jay. Good game but time and motivation are factors for me right now.

Plus as I said above all my friends in PoF have quit because there is nothing for them to do after the story. Don't really want to play on my own.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-12 at 02:44 AM.

The absolute lack of meaningful WvW changes is keeping me from coming back. They upgraded the rewards system recently, which is nice, but the same fucked up way scoring and everything works, not to mention the cancerous condi meta, makes WvW just not fun to play. And then there's the overwhelmingly elitist raiding community on the PvE side and how only certain builds are viable with these excessively demanding rotations that are just not any fun to play. I could live without raiding in this game because other games are far better at it, but the current state of WvW is what really kills it for me because there are so few modern games out there that do DAoC RvR style PvP. I'm basically biding time until Camelot Unchained comes out because ArenaNet doesn't seem to have the development time to give WvW any real love. They took the guy in charge of WvW and reassigned him to the living story. It's like, "okay ANet.. fuck you too.."
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

I played very early release of GW, didn't get terribly far but I played enough to know what I like and don't. My biggest turn-off (and what's preventing me from wanting to come back) is max level per zone. For me, the reason play is to feel stronger as I progress -- I know you can come back to a zone and be a bit stronger with new skills but de-leveling me to a max level per zone just feels like I've wasted the time leveling.

Another thing that I wasn't crazy about was how the abilities you have a based on the weapon you have equipped. It felt weird that when I got an upgrade I now have to play different (and sometimes far less fun for my taste) playstyle. Also, not being able to rearrange my bar was pretty dumb.

Some of these may have been changed by now -- I played VERY early on for about a month before I stopped.

Once Blizzard gave us Australians a local server. It pretty much meant that we could never play anything else that doesn't.

Deleted
    Lack of time.
    I spend what is left of my free-time in other games where actually playing matters.

With GW2 it feels like by unlocking the full spec and wearing full exotics i'm basically done with the game. Ascededs are nice, but the payoff is simply too small to invest into farming them. The same goes for legendairies.

10+ Year Old Account
    You forgot raids!

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Too many other games to play at the moment. Also: No friends left in GW2 to raid, while I still have tons of people to play WoW with. :/

Deleted
    Preordered the Guild Wars 1 CE (with the flimsy headset) and was thoroghly disappointed back then. Nice looking, but mediocre game and childish community. YMMV.

Didn't play the newer till it went f2p, levelled only to ~20 or so and decided if I wanted to invest time in an MMO, I would rather go back to SWtoR. Again it's not bad, it's meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    snip
    Eh. Just picked it up again after a few years and their world content makes up for raiding. I can't recall a time when WoW had guild puzzles and dynamic micro events that scaled to anyone. The only thing that comes close is the pre-Legion invasion -- and Invasion Points, but those are locked to one area in endgame content. GW2 exploration and puzzles beat WoW by a mile. Content overall is generally the same.

WoW has an edge in replay value, group content, and gameplay. But not everything else. In any game, grinding as the end-all becomes a tedious chore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamohn View Post
    Too expensive and time-consuming to consider returning. 125g to my name and barely any inventory or bank space. Don't even know where I'd begin, as I quit long before HoT came out. $100 wouldn't even get me out of the ditch, nor would I pay that sort of price to see if I'd even like to return.
    Time consuming, sure. It's a vast game.

But expensive?! Dude, i have about 120g for weeks now. I managed to max out 2 crafts and got other 2 to 400.

The place to begin is to continue the story and just enjoy playing the game. You will get the mats and the gold you need simply by playing the game in any facet you enjoy. Though i would recommend getting the expansions as they add alot of important things. Besides HoT is totally worth it for Auric Basin alone. They would cost you 50 at worst.

So, it's just wether you want to play it, and it's fine if you don't. But you certainly don't need 100$.

The problem i see in these forums is that most are WoW players naturally, but they have been spoiled by the WoW constantly advancing meta. They feel they need to gear up in one week and that they should rush it all to get there.
    GW2 is not best played like that. GW2 is a game you play to just have fun doing whatever you like best in it. Everything else just comes naturally. It's very frustrating and overwhelming if you try to rush it.

Something else i see is people saying they are 4 years behind. That is simply not true. Masteries are not required. They help. You can probably max them out in 4 months (or less) of casual play. No need for 4 years. Also, the gear didn't progress, so the gear you had back then is still worth the same today.
    Last edited by mmoc80be7224cc; 2017-10-12 at 11:39 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Your only cost should be the $50 for PoF and HoT. There is no reason to spend a cent more. The easiest way to get going again is to start doing one of the stories. Either continue the previous one or start directly with HoT or PoF. Probably the latter because it's more solo friendly.

- - - Updated - - -

PoF is definitely more solo friendly that HoT.

- - - Updated - - -

I will have to look again but the last time I looked I couldn't even start the missions because I didn't have enough online in the guild.

It wasn't just the log in influence. I got influence for doing events as well and could also buy influence with gold and there were some rewards that gave it. Our 3 man guild had quite a few levels, a guild bank and maxed out banners, etc. It hasn't leveled at all since the change. Not one bit.

It would have been trivial for A/Net to give influence as before up to a limit for the small guilds. There is even a way to convert influence to favor.

As I said, I will try again tonight but, IMHO, the changes were a death knell for very small guilds (<= 3).

- - - Updated - - -

It's literally impossible to fall behind in GW2. If I log off today and come back in a year, the only difference between me and the players that keep playing is that they will have done more content and have more cosmetic items. I will be able to to whatever content they are doing in the future with my same character.
    I'll repeat myself again since you guys keep quoting the same stuff. It's all psychological. I know there's no hard reset of progression in the game so i will still feel like im 4 years behind everyone else in terms of gameplay.

I tried GW2 briefly when it came out but I am just too used to WoW and have so much time invested that I couldn't transition.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    You forgot raids!
    Oh snap, I did! My bad D:

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    A/Net changed 1 and 3 with PoF. It's back to the old style where it's very solo friendly. On 2, I agree with you but it's not a deal breaker for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty sure that PoF comes with an extra char slot.
    nope. not the standard edition. https://buy.guildwars2.com/store?Act...eID=4785548100

have to buy deluxe or ultimate edition to get the extra character slot and if I'm not willing to pay $30, why would I pay $55 or more? its a good deal only IF you know for a fact you will enjoy the content. I have my doubts, after the trial and what my friend is telling me as far as difficulty of content goes.

on 1 - I checked the dailies yesterday for my later reply. its still the new style the ONLY thing that changed is that instead of a single zone you get a choice between 2-3 zones within the region, but its still severely limited compared to old meta.

on 3 - from what I saw, it still felt more focused on structured group content, maybe not as much as HoT, but still more so then vanilla. I mean.. the zones seem to be marginally more opened, but according to my actively playing friend, as a lot of locations require specific mounts to be able to traverse - its open in all but a name. its still linear enough to require getting required mounts first.

P.S. while I HAVE played WoW, I'm an ESO player. you know the game that requires a minimum of a year's investment to max out your crafting, 5-6 months to max out your mount speed, etc etc. time investment doesn't scare me. my issue with current incarnation of GW2 is not the time it takes to do things.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2017-10-12 at 01:38 PM.

Deleted
    The biggest problem for me is. There is to much new stuff. Unlike other MMO's they keep expaning on the "base game" more to do, more of everything, which is great mind you, But i tried to come 2 months ago, and i had to run though 6 Different zones, and had to do a major quest chain before even being able to do the thornes expation.

is to hard for people to come back in. In wow, if you join at the end of a expation, you are 2 years behind. if you start now, you are 4 years behind. And since it is, lets be honest, very well build, and phased when you actively played it along the way, but when you return to it. All you see is a massiv cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    Eh. Just picked it up again after a few years and their world content makes up for raiding. I can't recall a time when WoW had guild puzzles and dynamic micro events that scaled to anyone. The only thing that comes close is the pre-Legion invasion -- and Invasion Points, but those are locked to one area in endgame content. GW2 exploration and puzzles beat WoW by a mile. Content overall is generally the same.

WoW has an edge in replay value, group content, and gameplay. But not everything else. In any game, grinding as the end-all becomes a tedious chore.
    Not saying it doesn't have world content. But to claim another game solely focuses on one aspect to make GW2 appear better (you weren't) is grasping at best. WoW and GW2 have plenty of their own endgame content outside of raiding.

A game should be good from it's own merits. Which GW2 is. It doesn't need to be compared to other MMOs to make it look good. It has good points and flaws like any other game out there. Sure you can compare and contrast content but that's normal for games. Which you actually did just now.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-12 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    The biggest problem for me is. There is to much new stuff. Unlike other MMO's they keep expaning on the "base game" more to do, more of everything, which is great mind you, But i tried to come 2 months ago, and i had to run though 6 Different zones, and had to do a major quest chain before even being able to do the thornes expation.

is to hard for people to come back in. In wow, if you join at the end of a expation, you are 2 years behind. if you start now, you are 4 years behind. And since it is, lets be honest, very well build, and phased when you actively played it along the way, but when you return to it. All you see is a massiv cliff
    theres no such thing as being behind in gw2. the game is designed to played at your own pace, nothing becomes outdated, theres always a reason to go back and do 'old' content and no rush to anything new. that freedom seems to put people off more than pressure from 'falling behind'

Resident Cosplay Progressive

After I fell behind in that last expansion due to medical stuff, it just never felt like I was making any headway towards catching up.