Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by turboether View Post
    'He spends more time with his friends than he does with me.' Social science, making all these brave new discoveries.
    This about covers any real response this article deserves. lol.

It doesn't take a genius to understand that there are needs that are best met by some people, and others that are best met by others. Gender doesn't even come into play so much as individual personalities and personal perceptions (as others have said, the need to appear 'manly' and 'strong', or even fear of damaging a relationship they perceive as fragile).

Instead of trying to find reasons why this 'bromance' is 'threatening' a heterosexual relationship, one should focus on why the 'social scientist' is so concerned with it. I suspect that would make for a far more interesting read (though that isn't saying much).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    These 'social scientists' seem to be about as useful to society as nipples on a breastplate...
    Like most things in life, there are good applications to social science and bad ones. This is actually a topic that could be interesting but the data being used to support the "social scientist"'s points are so absurd that the only logical response is to laugh.

Personally I feel it doesn't -- that if it's being perceived as an issue, because a 'bromance' exists and the 'heterosexual relationship' has problems, that in reality the male friendship is being focused on heavily because of issues with the heterosexual relationship.

Good social science doesn't have biased and literally jokeworthy statistics with incredibly small sample sizes either, so there's that. (29/30 'bros' cuddle with their 'bro'. lol.) Just saying, don't judge a topic broadly because of one idiot.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2017-10-14 at 06:06 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    This about covers any real response this article deserves. lol.

It doesn't take a genius to understand that there are needs that are best met by some people, and others that are best met by others. Gender doesn't even come into play so much as individual personalities and personal perceptions (as others have said, the need to appear 'manly' and 'strong', or even fear of damaging a relationship they perceive as fragile).

Instead of trying to find reasons why this 'bromance' is 'threatening' a heterosexual relationship, one should focus on why the 'social scientist' is so concerned with it. I suspect that would make for a far more interesting read (though that isn't saying much).

- - - Updated - - -

Like most things in life, there are good applications to social science and bad ones. This is actually a topic that could be interesting but the data being used to support the "social scientist"'s points are so absurd that the only logical response is to laugh.

Personally I feel it doesn't -- that if it's being perceived as an issue, because a 'bromance' exists and the 'heterosexual relationship' has problems, that in reality the male friendship is being focused on heavily because of issues with the heterosexual relationship.

Good social science doesn't have biased and literally jokeworthy statistics with incredibly small sample sizes either, so there's that. (29/30 'bros' cuddle with their 'bro'. lol.) Just saying, don't judge a topic broadly because of one idiot.
    I put this study in the same category as the general trend of articles that angst over the decline in "marriageable men" or really any theoretically sociological trend that is seen as decreasing choices women have in life. Considering the plastering of negative articles about say sex-bots or sex dolls. In general it seems any study that reveals men doing anything that may decreases women's array of life choices is seen as a "MAJOR SOCIAL CATASTROPHE!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

There was a "study" not that long ago saying less than half the population is heterosexual as well.

you can pretty much take anything pseudo scientists say and throw it in the dumpster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was into the article until it started talking about cuddling with their bro. I've had bromances before, but never did I cuddle. You might slap ass, push or give a wet willy, but cuddling in bed? That's no bromance, that's called being stuck in the closet.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I put this study in the same category as the general trend of articles that angst over the decline in "marriageable men" or really any theoretically sociological trend that is seen as decreasing choices women have in life. Considering the plastering of negative articles about say sex-bots or sex dolls. In general it seems any study that reveals men doing anything that may decreases women's array of life choices is seen as a "MAJOR SOCIAL CATASTROPHE!"
    Hey, I'm with you on this! I'm just saying, this isn't social science; the sample data is tiny, the observations are incredibly (and intentionally) biased, and the conclusions are hilariously wrong because of it. This is a clickbait article that is appealing to a very specific type of woman, and TBH makes me look down on the publisher more than the article itself. Not that I know anything about "The Telegraph".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Was into the article until it started talking about cuddling with their bro. I've had bromances before, but never did I cuddle. You might slap ass, push or give a wet willy, but cuddling in bed? That's no bromance, that's called being stuck in the closet.
    You're slapping other guys arses?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Hey, I'm with you on this! I'm just saying, this isn't social science; the sample data is tiny, the observations are incredibly (and intentionally) biased, and the conclusions are hilariously wrong because of it. This is a clickbait article that is appealing to a very specific type of woman, and TBH makes me look down on the publisher more than the article itself. Not that I know anything about "The Telegraph".
    In general I think the mainstream media likes to publish these sorts of articles, even if they are as you say, shit tier sciencing. It fits the narrative of "OMFG men aren't stepping up to fulfill our goals!!11eleven!"
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    so men don't want to spend loads of time with women if they're not enjoying their company? shocking, and they'll just get that pussy and leave if they can? maybe some(not all) women need to be more fun and less bitchy?
    So basically men who are lonely, sad and wish they had a gf/wife. Don't spin it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    So basically men who are lonely, sad and wish they had a gf/wife. Don't spin it.
    Not a gf, but one someone would want to be with. Not all women are equally worthy of having bf/husbands.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    While funny, I actually think we will get to that. Well, preferring sex bots over real people thing, that is.
    Well, if you can't find a real person who wants to have the same kind of sex you want to have, sex bots > rape, don't you think?

Deleted
    Not everybody is co-dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    In general I think the mainstream media likes to publish these sorts of articles, even if they are as you say, shit tier sciencing. It fits the narrative of "OMFG men aren't stepping up to fulfill our goals!!11eleven!"
    Shit tier science would at least make some small amount of unbiased sample data and basic observation. The statistics being used scream fiction, interviewing gay men, calling them straight and pretending it supports their 'study' is lying to make a story. Even shit tier science is better than that. I'm just saying.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Come, now. You're ruining his narrative trolling.

This is partially a joke because the research is, too.

I think the person/people behind this is afraid of western society going back to GrecoRoman style of Men being comfortable with each other.

If we start naked oil wrestling, it's over for women.

10+ Year Old Account
    In other news, social scientists will say anything to get people to notice them so they aren't left alone to wonder why they chose that major to begin with.

...that's just stupid. The rampant galvanizing of 'sides' is the problem, not guys having close friendships with other guys...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Um yes we are. It's human nature. If someone isn't they need to seek help.

7+ Year Old Account
    Um yes we are. It's human nature. If someone isn't they need to seek help.
    Funny you should say that. You know what's not human nature? Monogamy.

"Said the person spinning it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.