Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    While I knew some people banned for botting, I've never seen a guild openly approve / encourage people to bot. It's either rare, or not the type of guilds I played in. Most guilds I've been in handled consumables in one of the 2 ways:
    1. It's all on you, the raider, to supply yourself.
    2. Guild takes BOEs, sells boosts, raid drop mounts etc. and uses that gold to fund consumables for the raid team.
    They don't openly approve I would guess but I would also guess that they aren't ignorant about it.

Think it was two, three tiers ago? That a high ranking guild suddenly lost a few members, as they had used bots to supply the guild.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmar View Post
    The thing with wow is, that it got both hard and easy content, so they dont have to destroy the difficult parts to make it more casual friendly as the game already has casual friendly variation of that same content. Tl;dr wow got all difficulties covered, each player type got suitable content for him. Its up to player to learn into which group he belongs, and instead of cheating he should accept that he reached his max potential and not cheat his way through.
    The unstated assumption you are making there is that the parts of the game a player does not want to do will not affect him.

But is this a reasonable assumption? I propose it is not.

We constantly hear from putative higher end raiders on these forums that they don't like LFR. Even more, we hear that they don't like game systems they feel "forced" to do. Now, these people maybe "shouldn't" feel this way, you might say, but I think they're entitled to have their own personal preferences, just like any other player. I take them at their word that they don't want that stuff in the game; that its presence degrades their game experience.

But I think it goes the other way, too. The presence of higher difficulty modes degrades the game for a player who can't do them, because their mere presence sends the message to that player that they aren't very good. The ego reward of MMO gameplay, where one is a hero one isn't in RL, is constantly being squelched. Those difficulty modes are more difficult to ignore than they would be in a single player game, since there are other players (in game and in online forums) that do them.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenoathcarn View Post
    Another false statement, Blizzard have never intentionally gone after tmorph users in the past, generally people who got banned for using tmorph either are lying or were collateral damage in going after other third party software.

There have been countless streamers blatently using tmorph and have never recieved any warnings or bans for it.

Theres a difference between locally looking at files and phoning home with said information, trust me when i say this has been a real headache in the past for blizzard. google references to scan.dll that wow shipped with in the past for more information.
    And here come the shills I was talking about. Modfiying game files (for any reason) is against the rules. The only exception to this is sound files (and only because Blizzard designed the Lua syhstem to allow you to modify sounds, and gave you an interface to do it - that said you don't actually change the Blizzard sound files, you substitute your own by using a specific interface), and .wtf files (which are just text/config files). Altering any data files is against the rules. It's always been against the rules. People have always been banned for doing it. Obviously not everyone is detected the instant they do it. Warden was updated YEARS ago (I'm talking during Cataclysm here) to be able to detect things like tmorph (anything that modifies game files really) better. And people who are caught using it are banned. Because modifying game files is against the rules regardless of why you're doing it.

People have been talking about this on the official WOW forums for years. It hasn't been any different. I saw people banned for using tmorph YEARS ago. The story is the same every time. They come to the WOW forums claiming innocence. A blue comes in and says "do you really want to go into this here?" They say of course I do, I'm innocent. Then the blue details their use of modifying game files (not using the name tmorph, but sometimes using something that rhymes with it just to be funny) and says see, this is what happens when you modify game files which is against the ToU. Go ask Vrakthris or Orlyia about it and see what they tell you. They will tell you the same thing they've been telling people for a decade. Modifying game files is against the rules.

My favorite time (which was at least several years ago) where someone came in asking about tmorph. He was told (by a blue and several regulars): it's against the terms of use, do not do it if you value your account. He did it anyway and got banned. He came back shortly after the ban, posting on a different character, claiming to be innocent. The blue not only called him out for what he did, but pointed out "you know I can see who you are, posting on a different character doesn't fool me, remember when you were in here asking about this?"
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2017-10-15 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Still money on people who keeps fucking up.
    You said they're stupid, Id tell you you're stupid if you think 6 monthly ban waves are in any way a deterrent for dedicated botters. they make far more money then it costs for the account.

The current program doesn't scan your whole system though. As well, the confirmation you press yes for does cover them from legal actions. They haven't had a lawsuit about this since the very basic beta of their scan.
    It looks like your missing some context then, Because this entire discussion was about how such Detections happened. and thus the response about how it cant be said things because its against the law.

This is entirely your fault for not following the thread context and opening your mouth before you have all the facts.

And again, Pressing yes does not cover Blizzard for violating Consumer LAW.

There is precedent in the legal system where this has happened before and have either been fined and/or forced to remove such functionality from the software. If you think Blizzard is immune to this you are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    And here come the shills I was talking about. Modfiying game files (for any reason) is against the rules.
    You are mistaken, It's only against Blizzards TOS/EULA which means they reserve the right to cancel your account, however this does not protect them from legal backlash if there methods are found to be violating consumer or privacy law.

Infact, Modifying files for software/hardware is perfectly legal, just check out the modding scene for consoles, It's also perfectly legal to distribute code for private servers, the only thing that isn't legal is hosting actual servers from them.
    Last edited by kenoathcarn; 2017-10-15 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    You being a 10 year veteran with 1760 days plays means jack shit. If you used cheating programs you took a ban. If you didn't use them then open a ticket. Nothing else can be done about it.
    Them being a 10 year veteran with over 1760 days played means they have played on average roughly 12 hours a day, every single day, for 10 years.... or they just offline botted. One of them is more likely than the other IMO.

Deleted

Nah, they were smart. The ban them and soon they'll be back, and pay again, to be banned.
    Ah so its smart that honest players have to put up with cheats coming back because they pay again to be banned. You effectively put Blizzards profits before yours and everyone else's gameplay. That's some brilliant Fanboy logic there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Rights of your personal privacy can be waived at any moment you agree to do so. In EU (the only legal system i'm aware of, so cannot speak for American or other third country law) your personal data are fully protected by ANY gathering and processing, unless you specifically agree that the other party can gather store, process and use those data.

I know it may sound as "an appeal to authority" argument, but Law is my university studies and profession for the last 20 years. If you do really want me to, i can find the specific EU law that states what i mentioned above, but if i do, you will have to publicly humiliate yourself for insisting wrongly. If you're up to the challenge, either find the EU law that proves me wrong or accept it and be prepared.
    As someone in the legal profession surely you cant be naive enough to think that just because its legal somewhere means as a company that operates in multiple countries you can pick and choose which laws you want to abide by.

Rights of your personal privacy can be waived at any moment you agree to do so
    This isn't a discussion about how EULA is a binding contract, It's a discussion about how if a EULA is found to be violating consumer laws (and such a thing definitely does in at least some of the countries Blizzard operates in) it will not hold up in a court of law.

Lost one in the guild. Always seems to be the new recruit.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    As someone in the legal profession surely you cant be naive enough to think that just because its legal somewhere means as a company that operates in multiple countries you can pick and choose which laws you want to abide by.

This isn't a discussion about how EULA is a binding contract, It's a discussion about how if a EULA is found to be violating consumer laws (and such a thing definitely does in at least some of the countries Blizzard operates in) it will not hold up in a court of law.
    We are talking the law of personal data here. I'm unaware of any legal system that would deem the gathering, processing and using personal data as an against the law action, despite the existence of approval of the personal data owner.

EU (European Union, you know what that is?) is not just somewhere.
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Better View Post
    Them being a 10 year veteran with over 1760 days played means they have played on average roughly 12 hours a day, every single day, for 10 years.... or they just offline botted. One of them is more likely than the other IMO.
    Or he just added an extra 0 to the years played or days played heh

We are talking the law of personal data here. I'm unaware of any legal system that would deem the gathering, processing and using personal data as an against the law action, despite the existence of approval of the personal data owner.
    Tell that to every company in history that has been fined for selling personal information even tho you accepted there terms of service. again the world is a bigger place then the EU. And Blizzard operate in said places.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The presence of higher difficulty modes degrades the game for a player who can't do them, because their mere presence sends the message to that player that they aren't very good.
    Don't worry, they just easily dismiss it that the higher difficulties are for some "basement dwelling neckbeards" and they "have a life which they won't schedule around the game". Blizzard chips into that with various hints how time > skill, with legendaries, AP, titanforge to make people believe to make your character the strongest it can be you need to sink endless hours into the game, which creates two issues, one is people start believing, or even demanding that nolifing must be a part of any "serious" player, and second is people either try to nolife and burn out or the turn away before they even started - there are people even here, on MMO-champ for whom content as light as mythic 0 dungeon is already "too hardcore", they didn't even try it but already crossed it off the list. And no, you don't need top gear or a rotation bot to do a mythic 0 dungeon.

Another issue is when you start lowering stuff to the lowest common denominator, there are voices the game is "boring" and "trivial", see all the complaints about low level questing / dungeons. It doesn't bother me personally, but there are people whom it bothers a lot.

Personally I think rotation bots are not justified, same as kick bots are not, or to compare it to map hacks in diablo 3 - all these provide unfair advantage to a game that has leaderboards and competition element (wow has also pvp), single player games without any competition element no one cares if you cheat, but if you cheat to get onto that greater rift leaderboard or m+ ranking or pvp rating, then you deserve a ban.

And about casual vs hardcore content, I think both are justified to a point, a game like wow thrives on diverse playerbase with different interests and approaches, the only content that isn't justified is literally content that next to no one cares about, then it's waste of dev's time. Still not sure why for example scenarios like in MOP were discontinued - I don't think the participation rate was low enough to justify scrapping it, I think with some tweaks it could provide another layer of content for people who don't like to be forced into "holy trinity" content (and wait for tank and healer in their dungeon queue). But for example 5v5 arena was scrapped due to low participation and the issue continuing it would require balancing attention etc.

I bet mythic+ is there to stay, even though top levels of it are kinda imbalanced and left to minority of "key pushers", devs attention is mostly up to +15 level (for achievement / artifact tint) and these levels have plenty of participation / popularity.

Content I'm wondering about its future is mythic raiding and RBGs. Mythic raiding is dead on many realms, but Blizzard promised they're working on new server connection tech since the one used in MOP kinda broke after some restructuring. At least that's what they said. I sure hope it's not just "soonTM" because servers are in dire need of merging, too many low pop ones. After that, we can see how the mythic raiding fares. RBGs, I dunno, Blizzard tries to funnel people into it hard (for example by making an artifact tint require 10 RBG wins as opposed to only 1 raid boss kill, and that from heroic, not mythic) but I don't think it's as popular as they wanted it to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    good was probably the wrong word if I wanted to avoid triggering people I guess - completely 100% harmless would be more accurate
    Simple existence of vulnerability is already harmful. Banning people who use it or fixing it outright is a sensible thing to do. Regardless of how people use it

- - - Updated - - -

There is precedent in the legal system where this has happened before and have either been fined and/or forced to remove such functionality from the software. If you think Blizzard is immune to this you are mistaken.
    I'm 100% sure that this precedent isn't even remotely close to this situation
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonthor View Post
    Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...n_wave_101217/

I love when this happens. GG Blizzard.

Sad about guilds who lost some of their core members 'feelsbadman'.
    Any meaningful progression is long over and the new raid isn't out for awhile. Any guild that lost people can find replacements. An easy fix is not to raid with sketchy people that bot too.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    the people who got banned should have a lifetime debuff that simply says "shame" as the debuff so all can see. once their suspension runs out
    That's the thing though lol, so many of you are shameless.

Pig Form much???

A lot of you would ACTUALLY roll that, and spam one ability, Pig Out, just so long as it's really OP!!!

The fact that you look like a pig???

No worries, right lol???

Again, shameless much there WoW community???
    "Haters gonna hate, whatcha gonna do?

They're haters after all, it's what they do!" - The Legend, aka "The Best," aka "The Champ," aka "Speedymage," aka "MagusHenosis," aka "The Grim Reaper of Top Players"

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    he doesn't ruin the market, he fixes it. You're the one who's ruining it.
    ahahahahahahahahaha my sides

Quote Originally Posted by Kakera View Post
    ahahahahahahahahaha my sides
    I know right? Botters 'fix' the market. Never mind the honest gatherers that get trampled over in the meantime or the price of Bnet Balance shooting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    if you are legit innocent a higher level support agent can usually find that out. just make sure you are using the correct procedures (a regular ticket might not be it). getting them on the phone usually also helps due to human nature etc.
    I agree with that but sadly i when i put my phone number in the box it says ''not valid'' and i am looking in any ways to have someone on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Better View Post

Trust me i'm real, hpics.li/422b7ae and i am not even a multiboxer.

For some ppl the game is a way of life, or a ''spare tire'' for hundred reasons, don't misjudge something you never seen before.

If i was a botter/cheater for real, i couldn't keep the same account for 10years and definitely have some ''abuse history'' but this is not the case at all here.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Tell that to every company in history that has been fined for selling personal information even tho you accepted there terms of service. again the world is a bigger place then the EU. And Blizzard operate in said places.
    Generic answer with no example whatsoever. Come back with proof.
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    This happens because warden is activating and do massive scans... do you think that warden scan 24/7? When they tweak and update they enable it to catch the rats and when this happens there is lag and disconnects
    I was under the impression that it runs pretty much all the time you're running a Blizzard game. Scanning the list of running tasks isn't particularly intensive.

Then it logs them silently, ready for the next ban wave.