Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    It just annoys me that "boycotting" won't work. The trend will continue, and it won't be far until a game I really want gets sucked into this business model and then I will have no choice but to suck it up. : /
    The reason boycotting this stuff doesn't work is that this stuff is popular. Boycotting only works if it gets people to stop buying something, and microtransactions have been pretty wildly popular, with a small minority of people who rage about them.

In other words, the market has spoken, and you're not a big enough voice to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The reason boycotting this stuff doesn't work is that this stuff is popular. Boycotting only works if it gets people to stop buying something, and microtransactions have been pretty wildly popular, with a small minority of people who rage about them.

In other words, the market has spoken, and you're not a big enough voice to matter.
    Yeah I get it that is why I said it is frustrating and why I acknowledged it won't work.

Deleted

This isn't just video gaming. It is a big problem with internet culture. No one pays for anything. So it all becomes about a minority of people who pay big bucks for stuff.

In earlier times companies would worry about losing market share. No longer. Because they know 90% of the audience can't be monetized anyway so they no longer care about alienating them. So they do the one thing they know works and squeeze the highest spending consumers. There's a lot of greed very obviously but it is also about the lack of a viable alternative profit model.

How do we know there isn't an effect? It'd be impossible to get the data on potential customers who weren't interested because of this scheme. Destiny in itself since it's first release wasn't considered a success, so it would be logical they are trying to make up for all the money put into this franchise by milking the players who are loyal.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Things like, "swipe the card", is a great thing to learn.
    For those that wish to learn, sparing against those better then you is a great way to learn. Is that better?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    How do we know there isn't an effect? It'd be impossible to get the data on potential customers who weren't interested because of this scheme. Destiny in itself since it's first release wasn't considered a success, so it would be logical they are trying to make up for all the money put into this franchise by milking the players who are loyal.
    Because;
    A> this has nothing to do with Destiny.
    2> microtransactions are omnipresent because they work. Systems like this that didn't drive revenue wouldn't be implemented so broadly by so many different development teams.

10+ Year Old Account

Doesn't mean the practise isn't exploitative as fuck and won't hurt the product like it is increasingly doing.

I hope there is a breaking point for this shit.

Because;
    A> this has nothing to do with Destiny.
    2> microtransactions are omnipresent because they work. Systems like this that didn't drive revenue wouldn't be implemented so broadly by so many different development teams.
    I thought the article was about Destiny 2?

Of course it works, thousands of people get scammed every day, because it works. It's the ethical element that's missing. likewise, in videogames having a system built around hoodwinking a player into putting more money into the game isn't ethical. It should really be called legal scamming, and it's everywhere. Not sure what happened to false advertisement, but I suppose like most things the lawyers blew up that definition. Microtransactions I have no problem with at all, just at a fair position.
    Last edited by Stonecloak; 2017-10-18 at 12:20 AM.

OP's post is a complete mess.

1) Bungie already confirmed this patent isn't in Destiny 1 or Destiny 2.

2) Gameinformer got a statement from Activision stating that ""This was an exploratory patent filed in 2015 by an R&D team working independently from our game studios. It has not been implemented in-game," a spokesperson for Activision said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Doesn't mean the practise isn't exploitative as fuck and won't hurt the product like it is increasingly doing.

I hope there is a breaking point for this shit.
    I don't know if it's true, fearmongering or just straight up bullshit, but I've read many predicting shit like this leading to a new crash in the video game industry, like the one that happened in the 80's.

Which might very well be what is needed.
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-10-18 at 12:32 AM.

The industry got greedy, and tapped into people's animal mind, or hamster mind. It basically follows it to a T. This type of exploitation sucks imo, because once the public smartens up, it renders it pointless. Or hey, if you like being in a vegetative state, then go for it, just don't expect the developers to play nice. There will probably always be a group who willingly lets this happen to them, but as a whole, I think the industry is shifting away from this right now slowly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodmos View Post
    This wouldn't be just about useful items. What about skins and such? Matching you with someone who uses the same character as you, in HoTS for instance, but with a bought skin, may entice a player to get that skin if they like it.

Frankly a game with that sort of policy wouldn't get my money in the first place, and it's not like Activision has a good rep anyway.
    At least those skins bear no gameplay advantage.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Wait, Destiny 2 is pay to win? Well, that's another game cut off my list I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Absolute fucking bullshit.

Loot Boxes will be the death of this industry.
    Scary thing is that governments may step in and start legislating if the entire gaming industry keeps going down the path of loot boxes. It first started off with free 2 play games, then migrated to fremiums and now is in pay to play platforms which seems to run counter to the entire idea of pay to play platforms.

Pay to play platforms in theory should be a more controlled environment as everyone's sub fee should be equal in having a similar gaming experience available. Also pay to play platforms should have higher standards and quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will totally buy that kind of shit cuz I'm a fool, oh well, guess I'm boned.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    I play very little of these so called tripple A games... actually about all games I play are 10 to 25 years old and while some have expansions or data disks.. very few have DLC, micro transactions or underhanded affairs.
    Thank you for letting us know.

On topic: There are no weapons on the Destiny 2 in game store, and no items that really provide a power boost so those of you drawing that correlation to Destiny 2 being terrible and how you knew it are just looking for an excuse to say so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Lol, not understanding buying gear is pay to win.
    You've obviously never played or looked at the store since the gear provided is the equivalent of the transmog helms that Blizzard was selling in wow for some time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Wait, Destiny 2 is pay to win? Well, that's another game cut off my list I guess.
    See this fake info is going to turn people away. It is not, please do a bit more research than a random mmo-champion post.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Lol, not understanding buying gear is pay to win.
    LOL, not understanding that you can't buy gear in d2. You can buy super low power versions of equipment that do nothing until you empower them with your own gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I'm honestly convinced that you just like to argue no matter what
    If you asked my parents that, they'd roll their eyes and say "well, yeah."

That just means I'm more likely to post in threads where I see someone post something I disagree with, though. It doesn't mean I'm playing devil's advocate just to rile people up. If i'm playing devil's advocate, I'll clearly state it, so it's clear it's not something I actually believe.

In this particular case, in my experience, this "Microtransactions BAD" stuff usually translates down into "I can't/won't pay for 'em, and stuff I can't have/don't want is BAD". And I think that's supremely silly.

How is this worth a patent? That's like 1 line of code with a constant. One of these days I will try to patent "Hello World" and sue every programmer out there.

From the article:

"This was an exploratory patent filed in 2015 by an R&D team working independently from our game studios," an Activision spokesperson tells Glixel. "It has not been implemented in-game."

Bungie also confirmed to Glixel that the technology isn't being used in Destiny 2.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    How is this worth a patent? That's like 1 line of code with a constant. One of these days I will try to patent "Hello World" and sue every programmer out there.
    Apparently this is just one aspect of a more complex matchmaking algorithm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.