Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    Having spreadsheets for optimal range for various things is something I still remember, then the resistance sheets for the various factions you fight against. Way overboard!
    No need of that anymore. You can simulate a ship + guns ingame and directly see optimal range. Different ammo = different optimal range = different damage types (4) for different resistances (4). It's not rocket science man. Although you can shoot with rockets...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Some of his points are just completely wrong, as if based from someone who has not in fact experienced it for themselves or didn't put the effort into looking shit up. EVE is KNOWN to not to hold your hand, going into it thinking otherwise is setting yourself up for failure. It wasn't for him, no problem.
    Let me give you my Eve experience. I made a character, spent like 2-3 hours sifting around menus and alt tabbing to web sites, finding this and that, picked a bunch of skills or something (it's been like 10 years, some of my specific names will be off) that would take multiple days to train (because everyone loves time gating, right? Right?), then I set out to do some mining and got killed by some big ass ship that I had no chance of fighting back against. Great, w/e, new player ect. Kept mining for a bit, then went to sell it and realized I basically spent 45 minutes doing what any alliance could do in 5 and that my ore was nearly worthless, so I decided to join one, but when I started looking into them I found out how toxic (Read:Scam heavy) and politically shitty the game gets (And that CCP actually supports this behavior) and decided it wasn't for me, because I like playing actual games.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2017-10-18 at 12:58 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played eve online for years. There are some fantastic people there, make no mistake. But there absolutely IS a a reason that eve is well known as a haven for thiefs, liars, PKers, scumbags, and degenerate traitors. One of the prevalent memes in that game is to infiltrate corps and see how much you can get away with stealing. Its like a dirtbag simulator.

The pve is pretty mediocre.

The mining can be very zen if youre into that sort of thing. Just watch your back.

The pvp is some of the most intense you will find anywhere because your ship and everything on it is the price of failure. You lose the fight, you die, and your ship becomes a killboard statistic. And nowhere is truly safe, not even highsec space. Especially not highsec space. If you want to play this game, by all means give it a try. But bring a healthy helping of paranoia, because they really are all out to get you.

[Edit]
    EVE's f2p model is absolutely horrible. F2P accounts are terribly restricted in what they can do. Like ridiculously so. My old unsubbed account has literally hundreds of ships and 40-50 billion isk on it and when i logged in on F2P mode just to check out the new UI the only ships i could actually fly were the shitty baseline frigates. Most of my skills were disabled, i couldnt use most of the ship mods or weapons that i had already trained from years of subbed play.

Also, the new UI is awful. The new generation of CCCP devs are trying way to hard to make everything look fancy and scifi. It just looks cluttered. The old UI was every bit as functional, but much more minimalistic and efficient looking.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2017-10-18 at 01:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrclyde-79 View Post
    I know a bit of EvE. And it is totally different from WoW in all aspects. But neither one is for more "mature" players than the other. The same way the games differentiate from each other, their targeted audience does it in the same way. I give you credit for being so enthusiastic about EvE, but generalizing simply doesn't work.... especially not in the way you did it here.

All i intended was to point out something to people they might like after they tried it. See OP.

if anything reading all this made me realize how unlikely it is that i'll ever try eve online. and i am a huge space sim fan dating back to ye olde wing commander 1 days.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love spread sheets

Deleted
    Scamming works in a game like EVE, sure it's the lowest kind of profession there is, but it fits. Not so much with WoW. And there kinda is a whole fucking lot more to EVE then markets. But yes, being able to multitask and look up information to help with what you're doing will give you an advantage in this game.
    Always amazed about people calling good game mechanics "hand holding" and praising "tabbing out of the actual game to look up stuff for hours" as actually good. Sorry, but according to my experience good game mechanics build up and are intuitive while you are in the actual game actually playing it. They are bad if you have to leave the actual game. It has nothing to do with holding hands when some developers put actually some thought into their mechanics and others don't. Those you put in less thoughts and work make their player rely on external sources and tools, which is pretty lame and lazy.

If you want to make a complex game with complex mechanics you can do that. Just put some thoughts and effort into it before you call it good. Some people might disagree with you then. ;-)

I would like to suggest this game

Quote Originally Posted by Arrclyde-79 View Post
    Always amazed about people calling good game mechanics "hand holding" and praising "tabbing out of the actual game to look up stuff for hours" as actually good. Sorry, but according to my experience good game mechanics build up and are intuitive while you are in the actual game actually playing it. They are bad if you have to leave the actual game. It has nothing to do with holding hands when some developers put actually some thought into their mechanics and others don't. Those you put in less thoughts and work make their player rely on external sources and tools, which is pretty lame and lazy.

If you want to make a complex game with complex mechanics you can do that. Just put some thoughts and effort into it before you call it good. Some people might disagree with you then. ;-)
    Uuuhh no, I'm playing WoW atm because that's what I feel like playing and gives me enjoyment. Just because one is much harder to get into doesn't make it a good game, I liked it because it appealed to me. Please don't put words in my mouth for your little rant dude.

No thanks, I already have a job.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

EvE Online: All the excitement of working on spreadsheets mixed with the human assholery of corporate realpolitik....

I'll stick to killing dragons every week for a shiny hat.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some of his points are just completely wrong, as if based from someone who has not in fact experienced it for themselves or didn't put the effort into looking shit up. EVE is KNOWN to not to hold your hand, going into it thinking otherwise is setting yourself up for failure. It wasn't for him, no problem.
    "...didn't put the effort into looking shit up..." "yours is based off of someone who I am guessing has put very little time into it and had no fucking idea what you were doing" - these statements suggest that his opinion, from your perspective, IS actually quite a problem.
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Let me give you my Eve experience. I made a character, spent like 2-3 hours sifting around menus and alt tabbing to web sites, finding this and that, picked a bunch of skills or something (it's been like 10 years, some of my specific names will be off) that would take multiple days to train (because everyone loves time gating, right? Right?), then I set out to do some mining and got killed by some big ass ship that I had no chance of fighting back against. Great, w/e, new player ect. Kept mining for a bit, then went to sell it and realized I basically spent 45 minutes doing what any alliance could do in 5 and that my ore was nearly worthless, so I decided to join one, but when I started looking into them I found out how toxic (Read:Scam heavy) and politically shitty the game gets (And that CCP actually supports this behavior) and decided it wasn't for me, because I like playing actual games.
    It's a completely different kind of game, just because you don't like it doesn't make it not a game Going by your experience you went into nono zones right at the beginning and tried the most boring this you can do (mine) and because you couldn't be the absolute best at it straight out the gate, you had a bad time. All good, keep playing WoW!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yerbury View Post
    "...didn't put the effort into looking shit up..." "yours is based off of someone who I am guessing has put very little time into it and had no fucking idea what you were doing" - these statements suggest that his opinion, from your perspective, IS actually quite a problem.
    It's a game designed that you have to put the hard work in to get anything good out of it. It makes that very clear and often points you into the direction of the wiki with countless articles and an in game help channel where you can ask any question and get it answered by vets. If you are not willing to do that and put some serious time into looking shit up, it's not a game for you.

You can't mature out of wow you fucking casual.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Pitiful.

10c.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    I would like to suggest this game

Meh...without flying you can't really get anywhere interesting, and they need to get rid of the decay/maintenance mechanic its just a cheep way to make sure you log in everyday and do daylies. Plus PvP is SO fucking unbalanced, its practically Pay-to-Win. And the devs never fucking seem to listen.

I might hop in during the "Apocalypse" expansion, but they keep delaying it.

WoW PvP... Pepridge farm remembers.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a game designed that you have to put the hard work in to get anything good out of it. It makes that very clear and often points you into the direction of the wiki with countless articles and an in game help channel where you can ask any question and get it answered by vets. If you are not willing to do that and put some serious time into looking shit up, it's not a game for you.
    I don't doubt it. But my comment was directed at your tone, not your content.
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard pass.
    I’d sooner RP on moonguard before flying a spreadsheet through space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Yerbury View Post
    I don't doubt it. But my comment was directed at your tone, not your content.
    I have a tone? The only thing I am trying to get across is that it is a VERY different kind of game, one that is really hard to get into if you are used to games like WoW. Also if someone says something about a game that is obviously not true as I have quite a bit of experience in EVE, I will point it out. Same would go if they incorrectly stated a fact about WoW.

Geez some people...

Just play a game you fucking like, no need to put something down because you don't like it or understand it.