BM hunter no long tied to Exotic pets?

Hi all,

TL;DR: Are BM hunters gimping themselves by not using the Exotic pets, or the difference is negligible nowadays?

Casual player who hasn't played my hunter since Wrath recently dinged 110 here. Historically my understanding has been that Exotic pets to BM hunters are like Felguards to Demo warlock, i.e. you are gimping yourselves if you don't use them.

Come Legion, with some quick reading, it seems with universal access to all 3 pet talent specs, damage standardization across all pets and stat buff removal, the only difference between Exotic and regular pets are 1-2 utility spells, which can definitely be situationally handy but otherwise cause no significant performance difference.

Is this the right understanding? Asking because I would love to use different pet models outside the Exotic families for cosmetic and RP reasons. Casual means I don't min/max, but I also don't want to unintentionally apply a discount to my performance.

Thanks!
    Last edited by acf; 2017-10-19 at 05:13 PM.

Hello there you can use any pet you want.

BUT some pets have exclusives habilites that helps raid/groups:

For example

Quilen = Battle Res

Core Hound = Blood Lust

For pvp i dont know a shit. But yeah there is a lot of exotics pets.

All pets do the SAME DAMAGE.

Whilst the above answer is correct, Quillen and Core Hound are Exotic pets you can get the same effects from non BM pets too: Moth and Ray. So basically, the actual pet no longer matters and BM doesn't really gain from purely exotic pets any more.
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

This post is brought to you by the letters U and F (though not necessarily in that order)

Quote Originally Posted by nidosarg View Post
    Hello there you can use any pet you want.

BUT some pets have exclusives habilites that helps raid/groups:

For example

Quilen = Battle Res

Core Hound = Blood Lust

For pvp i dont know a shit. But yeah there is a lot of exotics pets.

All pets do the SAME DAMAGE.
    Crane and Moths are not exotics but they can ress

Nether Rays can cast Lust too

But some exotics do have unique skills like

Devilsaur can eat dead animals or humanoids to heal itself,

Spirit Beasts can heal for small amount,

Core Hounds have fire type thorn spells

Chimeras can cast slowing aoe

Worms can cast nature type aoe by burrowing

Feathermanes and Rylaks can cast Slow Fall

Water Striders can cast water walk

Thank you guys, these basically confirmed my understanding

7+ Year Old Account
    what does the mechanical one do?
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

If made by a Gnome or Goblin, explode....

Truly, I have no idea. I have one, but don’t use it.

Quote Originally Posted by archanfels View Post
    Hi all,

TL;DR: Are BM hunters gimping themselves by not using the Exotic pets, or the difference is negligible nowadays?

Casual player who hasn't played my hunter since Wrath recently dinged 110 here. Historically my understanding has been that Exotic pets to BM hunters are like Felguards to Demo warlock, i.e. you are gimping yourselves if you don't use them.

Come Legion, with some quick reading, it seems with universal access to all 3 pet talent specs, damage standardization across all pets and stat buff removal, the only difference between Exotic and regular pets are 1-2 utility spells, which can definitely be situationally handy but otherwise cause no significant performance difference.

Is this the right understanding? Asking because I would love to use different pet models outside the Exotic families for cosmetic and RP reasons. Casual means I don't min/max, but I also don't want to unintentionally apply a discount to my performance.

Thanks!
    Its been years but this is still relevant today:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    what does the mechanical one do?
    Nothing special. But it's comical tanking rares with a tiny chicken, squirrel or sheep. I know the squirrel army drives our tank bonkers.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by aastarius View Post
    Whilst the above answer is correct, Quillen and Core Hound are Exotic pets you can get the same effects from non BM pets too: Moth and Ray. So basically, the actual pet no longer matters and BM doesn't really gain from purely exotic pets any more.
    Because it was fun so it got removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Because it was fun so it got removed.
    To be fair, for ages this has been exactly what the hunter community asked for. Make pet choice be about the hunter's preference rather than being forced into a specific pet.

And personally I agree; in fact I wouldn't mind them reducing it even further, seeing as how I'm still often locked into taking a lust or CR pet these days.
    Maybe instead of pet specializations (ferocity / tenacity / cunning) blizzard should move towards a pet talent tree where you can choose your pet's abilities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nirv View Post
    Since nobody gave you the right answer, yes, if you're BM you WANT to use exotic pets in most cases.

Moth, crane, and quilen have battle rez. Moth and crane are not exotic and are exactly the same. Quilen is exotic and has an extra abiltiy called Stone Armor which basically puts a shield and heals himself when he gets low for free.
    I use moth/nether ray for precisely two reasons: they are smaller models than their counterparts, which sometimes kind of matters to melee (at least, my melee bitches at me for it), and if I ever play SV, I can still use both those pets, and not the corehound/quilen, and not have to juggle stable slots.

Quote Originally Posted by nirv View Post
    Water walk:
    Water strider

More info here: http://www.wow-petopia.com/talents/skills.php
    Didnt know about that. I really need that pet.

How much is the cd?

Can i use that while in mount?

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nidosarg View Post
    How much is the cd?

Can i use that while in mount?
    No CD on the water walking. It wears off if you take damage (like most forms of water walking) but you can recast it again immediately once you're out of combat.

You can mount with it, but you can't use it while mounted. You have to cast it before mounting up.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I use moth/nether ray for precisely two reasons: they are smaller models than their counterparts
    This is why I use them too. Cranes and nether rays are smaller and just plain look better then core hounds and quilens.

I especially love the new mana rays.
    Last edited by Brightamethyst; 2017-10-25 at 12:25 AM.