Schrödinger's Cat

So what do you guys think about this famous thought experiment? Do you agree with the results of the experiment?

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The cat is dead or alive regardless of if we know it is dead or alive, but to us, the cat is either dead or alive. So our perception is that "we don't know so either could be the case" but the objective reality of the situation is the cat is one of the other. In the case of the video, if the gunpowder were to go off, the cat is dead most likely and someone should fucking get in there and save the cat before it goes off.

15+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    What is there not to agree with? It's explaining quantum mechanics. Which is a huge pot nobody has conquered yet and probably never will.

Oh man, now my eyes are responsible for exploding cats simply because I looked?

Time to never open my eyes again! Poor kitties!

The purpose of the thought experiment was to demonstrate that the Copenhagen interpretation lead to ridiculous conclusions - it's a reductio ad absurdum argument. The wave-function collapse on observation idea typically operates at the sub-atmoic level where people might give it a pass, but if you extend the microscopic to the macroscopic suddenly the situation runs counter to human intuition.

However whether or not this truly is a strong argument against the Copenhagen interpretation is a topic of debate. It's not necessarily a reductio ad absurdum if it's merely illustrating that the human intuition about the nature of causality is fundamentally wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm uncertain.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The purpose of the thought experiment was to demonstrate that the Copenhagen interpretation lead to ridiculous conclusions - it's a reductio ad absurdum argument. The wave-function collapse on observation idea typically operates at the sub-atmoic level where people might give it a pass, but if you extend the microscopic to the macroscopic suddenly the situation runs counter to human intuition.

However whether or not this truly is a strong argument against the Copenhagen interpretation is a topic of debate. It's not necessarily a reductio ad absurdum if it's merely illustrating that the human intuition about the nature of causality is fundamentally wrong.
    This. The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics is ridiculous. There are 2 other interpretations that makes sense though. The whole reason Schrödinger created that thought experiment was to highlight how ridiculous Copenhagen was. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Bro...%93Bohm_theory
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-w...interpretation

It's looking like pilot wave theory is going to turn out to be the correct one:

However, it should be stated that pilot wave theory does not mean that Many Worlds is false, the two theories aren't mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2017-10-20 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    I'm uncertain.
    About your position?

Or your velocity?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Traps are not gay anyway

Or well, traps usually are but liking them is not

Liking traps is definitely gay.

Is that where this thread is going?
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Traps are not gay anyway

I ain't even touching that, but I can't help but think of that pic.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So what do you guys think about this famous thought experiment? Do you agree with the results of the experiment?

If a tree falls in the woods, and there is nobody there to hear it, it still makes a sound.

The cat could have been sleeping while the bomb went off, and was only awoke by the sound, which arrives to the cat later than the sight of the explosion. Even if nobody finds out about the cat, it's fate just is what it is. It doesn't live just because we didn't find out if it died. Just because a thing is unknown, does not mean it becomes it's own dimension or reality.

Also, if the bombs are not killing all the cats, I suggest we get better bombs. Strong enough to kill a cat seems like a remarkably low bar to cross for our bomb engineers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce
    About your position? Or your velocity?
    Velocity, of course! Because no matter where you go, there you are.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Traps are not gay anyway

I wish the internet would make up its mind about whether "trap" means CD or shemale.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Liking traps is definitely gay.

Is that where this thread is going?
    What if a girl likes traps?

i think it's kinda stupid.

we don't live in a magical reality where multiple things can be true at once. the cat's dead, simple as that. you put the cat in the box with the hazardous material, you knew what you were doing, it is dead. you don't need to see it to know it. it's dead whether you open the lid or not, that's life.