10+ Year Old Account

Warrior in legion? Fun or wait til 8.0?

Hey all.

Planning on making a new toon soon and was thinking of warrior. Unfortunately I haven't played since Wrath 3.3... also haven't tanked seriously since then.

Title says it all. How is warrior in legion?

Bonus question. How much has tanking changed? Yes yes. Thank you to those that tolerate my laziness.

Deleted
    Fury gameplay is excellent, rotation is fluid and dynamic. By far the best spec I've played in Legion. Performance wise it is above average and is viable in almost every situation.

Prot is decent. I find it quite fun, has tools for every situation. However, bears are still kings because of their big hp pool and utility. Blood dk's are also often more desirable for same reasons. Overall I'd put Prot in the middle of the pack.

Can't really comment on Arms, I personally dislike its gameplay. Imo, it's too clunky, and the only thing that is good about Arms is its fantasy. It is played a lot this patch because it is god tier in terms of damage and survivability in both raids and m+. Hovewer, all can change for the next patch.

fury is fun, arms isn't as fun as fury but it's better than it's ever been. and prot isn't bad

Deleted
    Fury is lame imo, same rotation over and over again. Nothing really changes.

Deleted
    I can comment about tanking more than dealing damage.

My main was always this warrior (EU Silvermoon Sonol) and I'm not going to change it any time soon. Also I was always tank as main spec and my offspec is arms now.

I can tell you that I find prot warrior fun in Legion. There was a big revamp in melee animations at the start of this expansion, so that adds more to the fun.
    Prot mechanics and the synergy between secondary stats is more than acceptable (maybe crit is a bit exception here, because it doesn't add more than a slightly better parry cance, which is not desirable, so try to avoid crit if possible).

I won't bother you with a guide, there are many of them out there, I just say I like prot more than ever. It's mechanics and rotation now are more about active mitigation, and the filler dps abilities were removed (Heroic Strike), or made to be automatic (Devastator talent). This was also necessary, because after a certain amount of haste (which is the most important secondary stat now), you wouldn't be able to maintain such amount of abilities, playing your active mitigation properly at the same time.
    Now you are using Shield Slam and Thunder Clap as fillers, and Revenge on free proc (or offensively but that costs rage), meanwhile you maintain Shiled Block and Ignore Pain (a new absorb mechanism), along with the old, well known warrior cd-s.

Prot legendaries are also on the spot imo, because the best of them (bracers, gloves, belt) won't change your playsyle, while they give those missing fun supplements that makes the prot warrior a Rambo or Chuck Norris mode in outdoor content (don't flame me here, I play on a PvE realm, PvP is broken anyway), and more than viable in instances like raids or mythic+ dungeons.

In the previous Legion raids (Emerald Nightmare, Trial of Valor, Nighthold) bear tanks were the top performers, the others were also good, and warrior was not preferred, because of the weak spell dmg mitigation.
    The current raid (Tomb of Sargeras) changed it all, because most of the mechanics are physical, so the picture looks like this now:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...0&difficulty=4

Although warrior tanks have a golden era in this raid tier, bears and other tanks are still preferred over a warrior, because players with those tanks forged their characters over 3 previous raids, before warriors became good enough, so they stick to those other tanks (just look at the parses on those logs, there are more than double amount of druids and dk-s tanking than warriors).

All in all I like my prot warrior, because It remained the same type of tank over the years:
    - smooth damage reduction, preventing big spikes in hp
    - fluid mechanics, good synergy with secondary stats
    - I can always find and complete 10-12M+ dungeons for the max weekly chest
    - Chuck Norris mode on Argus and invasions
    - and ofc don't trust in a tank without shield and don't trust a tank without rage.

Quote Originally Posted by beeppee View Post
    Fury is lame imo, same rotation over and over again. Nothing really changes.
    Um....

Isn't that all rotations in the game for the history of forever?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by niaphim View Post
    Prot is decent. I find it quite fun, has tools for every situation. However, bears are still kings because of their big hp pool and utility. Blood dk's are also often more desirable for same reasons. Overall I'd put Prot in the middle of the pack.
    Bears might be harder to kill tanks but their gameplay is boring as f**k and is, as well as the DK, slow like a rock. If you want to raid that's probably not the problem but if you want to fly thru M+ the warrior is with his mobility a pure joy to play.

Deleted
    Very strong. Fury is fun, Arms less so but better dps.

I found Arms much more fun, when you have the cleave talent you have to carefully position yourself, and getting big number with one press of a button is super fun, at least for me.

I realize I might be an exception, but I don't really like Fury as much as Arms for DPS.

Prot tanking is kinda fun with the talent for Shield Slam damage (engaging rotation/priority), overall less fun than VDH, more fun than BDK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Um....

Isn't that all rotations in the game for the history of forever?
    Not really, other specs / classes have procs that you need to be more careful, fury is just going to 100 rage then starting over. Not like keeping eye out sor SD procs etc. Fury is the most stale rotation I have played in Legion atleast (except for maybe frost DK).

Quote Originally Posted by beeppee View Post
    Not really, other specs / classes have procs that you need to be more careful, fury is just going to 100 rage then starting over. Not like keeping eye out sor SD procs etc. Fury is the most stale rotation I have played in Legion atleast (except for maybe frost DK).
    Don't listen to this guy, he's massively exaggerating. Fury is middle of the road in terms of rotation complexity. There is way, way more to maximizing fury dps than watching the rage bar, particularly with T20, and even moreso with T21. If you want to raid heroic, then sure you can just watch the rage bar; if you want to be relevant as a mythic raider (which you can absolutely do as fury) then it's more involving.

More importantly, fury feels like a 'just right' rotation. It's fairy simple to wrap your head around, and has a cyclical quality (as opposed to ret paladin whack-a-mole type specs), and it feels rewarding when you play it just right. Overall, one of the specs this xpac where they really nailed it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zensunni View Post
    Don't listen to this guy, he's massively exaggerating. Fury is middle of the road in terms of rotation complexity. There is way, way more to maximizing fury dps than watching the rage bar, particularly with T20, and even moreso with T21. If you want to raid heroic, then sure you can just watch the rage bar; if you want to be relevant as a mythic raider (which you can absolutely do as fury) then it's more involving.

More importantly, fury feels like a 'just right' rotation. It's fairy simple to wrap your head around, and has a cyclical quality (as opposed to ret paladin whack-a-mole type specs), and it feels rewarding when you play it just right. Overall, one of the specs this xpac where they really nailed it.
    Might be different in T20 from T19 when I played fury, in T19 it was a IMO a very dull rotation (No I'm not a HC raider).

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm... What if I want to roll a gnome prot warrior?

Also, what do the rankings look like for tanks in general? Mostly rolling gnomes so dks and warriors are the only tanks for me at the moment.

Personally I tried Fury and even with 32% haste I still could not get to like the spec (@935ivll). The execute rotation is garbage, but before that I cannot deny that the rotation feels fluid. It is just bad that you hit like a wet noodle outside battlecry.

Now for arms, it is way better than in WoD, but not very engaging. Still somewhat fun.

Fury feels so weird wielding two big 2h weapons that hit like drum sticks. I like Rampage but outside of that it’s strange.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    what do the rankings look like for tanks in general?
    Check out the link in my post above. You can also change the raid difficulty and percentiles on that site to see how good and/or average tanks perform in the current raid. However I have no idea about the upcoming raid, Antorus which will open after Blizzcon and going to last for at least half a year.

My pick would be always a warrior over tanks and plate wearers, because it's a fundamental class in any RPG-s made in history. Every other similar classes originate from it, adding magical and other elements to a warrior's toolkit. But that's only my opinion. You can always try any classes with a new feature that let's you play a max level character for a certain amount of time to decide if you liked it or not.

Just wanted to comment on fun of specs since a lot of people like fury more in this thread, so it might create false illusion that it's somehow objectively more fun.

I do like fury, but I like arms even more. Consistently big numbers flying out, 2h animations, decent damage outside of battlecry (unlike fury, no idea how one can hit for so little with 2 two-handers), especially in cleave situations, and emotional roller coaster of no-procs/hella-procs all of this makes me like arms. I also like Ayala's synergy with execute and mortal strike (fury legendaries are just "Here take some rage, oh and flat passive 4% damage boost"), sadly arms gloves are dull and will be better than somewhat entertaining helm next tier. Oh and execute phase of course. With fury I feel like "please someone do the mechanics or I will drop stacks", while in arms I think "hell yeah let's MURDER that thing".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GorkAndMork View Post
    I also like Ayala's synergy with execute and mortal strike
    I'm just a casual hc raider, but I got that ring recently and it's also in synergy with Trauma talent, so imagine a 2-3 target cleave situation with a free Execute. I bet it beats Rend, and it becomes on par with it even on single target, so I don't have to maintain a dot that costs rage. Maybe it sounds boring to press one less button, but a fight is not just about standing still and hitting a dummy, you have to follow mechanics too, so it's not boring to me. In fact Trauma lowers the skill-bar for noobs like me with a much higher, free and automatic uptime than Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tonysniper View Post
    Personally I tried Fury and even with 32% haste I still could not get to like the spec (@935ivll). The execute rotation is garbage, but before that I cannot deny that the rotation feels fluid. It is just bad that you hit like a wet noodle outside battlecry.
    The Fury Execute rotation have been broken all of Legion due to how shitty Juggernaut works and Blizzard's inability to giving enough fucks to fix it.