Page 73 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    Max 70c with the preapplied TIM. I just switched to Liquid Metal while waiting for Casekings to get the delid tool back in stock, and it shaved off like 3-4c in prime. Good stuff! Will prob shave off like 10-15c extra after I delid it.

I'm also running it @ 5ghz atm just to keep the temps low until I get the tool. That extra 100mhz wont do me any good anyways
    So your going to delid your new $400 8700k for 100mhz and a few C?

Your brave.

And where is the build pics!!?

Don't think liquid metal between IHS and the cooler is advised though, it can create quite a big mess, minimal to no gains v.s. top quality paste and alot more hassle than its worth. Even top overclockers like der 8auer advice LM between die and IHS only, and a top quality normal paste like Kryonaut between cooler and IHS.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    So your going to delid your new $400 8700k for 100mhz and a few C?

Your brave.

And where is the build pics!!?
    Its more about bringing the temps down so I can run the fans silent.
    And I'm not sure if I'm 100% done yet, thinking about moving my radiator and some fans around!

Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    Don't think liquid metal between IHS and the cooler is advised though, it can create quite a big mess, minimal to no gains v.s. top quality paste and alot more hassle than its worth. Even top overclockers like der 8auer advice LM between die and IHS only, and a top quality normal paste like Kryonaut between cooler and IHS.
    Yeah, you gain like 2-3c tops vs high quality stuff. Just wanted to test it out before I get my delid tool. Got myself some Noctua NT-H1 as well.
    And when it comes to how messy it is, that depends on how you do it I guess I didnt cover the entire heatspreader with the liquid metal, more like 60% of it focused where the die itself is. And I made sure to not overdo it like Gamers Nexus did with his i9, I went with a very thin film.

The messy part is mostly about when you try to take it off, now i don't know if that applies to after a few hours / days, but after a longer timeframe it can be a real bitch to get off the IHS and cooler base, sometimes requiring lapping of the base or even both.

So the 8700K can reach 5.0GHz with voltage increase and water cooling and maybe 5.1GHz delidded?
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    The messy part is mostly about when you try to take it off, now i don't know if that applies to after a few hours / days, but after a longer timeframe it can be a real bitch to get off the IHS and cooler base, sometimes requiring lapping of the base or even both.
    Myeah, read some stuff about it, think the conclusion was that its fine to use Liquid metal as long as there are no contaminants on the heatspreader\cooler, which is what makes the metals react to stuff and eventually stains it. So if you clean it thoroughly, it should be np to use liquid metal!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    So the 8700K can reach 5.0GHz with voltage increase and water cooling and maybe 5.1GHz delidded?
    Depends on your luck ofc, but yeah, a lot of people are running 5ghz on high end AIO water\air coolers without delid. With some luck you can prob push 5.1ghz as well as a 24\7 overclock.

I see.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    I see.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    Keep in mind that some people only hit like 4.8-4.9ghz, not being able to hit 5ghz even when pushing the voltage to 1.4v+. It all depends on the silicon lottery and how lucky you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    We need pictures when it's built
    It's not beautiful at all, at least the back isn't.

This 8600k is amazing even at stock, if I can stop myself from gaming for the first time in 6 months I'll have to get it all cores to 4.7. I of course have low profile ram due to the NH-D15.

I was playing Fortnite Battle Royale on my XB1 the last few weeks and it ran and controlled like ass, tried it to day on the PC, yeah....never touching that console version again.

I might disappear into Rust for a while but I'll still get pics.

So I just went from 6 months of 720p 30fps console gaming back to 1440p 100+ fps max settings gaming.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    It's not beautiful at all, at least the back isn't.

This 8600k is amazing even at stock, if I can stop myself from gaming for the first time in 6 months I'll have to get it all cores to 4.7. I of course have low profile ram due to the NH-D15.

I was playing Fortnite Battle Royale on my XB1 the last few weeks and it ran and controlled like ass, tried it to day on the PC, yeah....never touching that console version again.

I might disappear into Rust for a while but I'll still get pics.

So I just went from 6 months of 720p 30fps console gaming back to 1440p 100+ fps max settings gaming.
    I would aim for 5ghz with the 8600k +NH-D15, heard its a bit easier to OC than the 8700k. Seen people push 5.3-5.4ghz on it delidded.

Keep in mind that some people only hit like 4.8-4.9ghz, not being able to hit 5ghz even when pushing the voltage to 1.4v+. It all depends on the silicon lottery and how lucky you are.
    Yeah I guess.

https://i.imgur.com/EYizvRI.png

This will prob be my 24\7 OC for a while, until I delid it.
    1.264v vcore (CPU-Z) @5ghz at 77-79c in prime for like 30+ min. (Cba to run longer)
    Seen people run 5ghz @ 1.248v but mine didnt like that after some priming.

70c in cinebench. Gaming temps around 60c max, usually in the 50's.

Got my 8700k today. Didn't expect it until December though so hadn't ordered anything else. Ordered the rest today and it should arrive by Thursday next week. This is what I ended up ordering. Have to thank @Evildeffy for the RAM recommendation, didn't even know there was 3600/CL15 / 3466/CL14 RAM on the market. It was pretty hard to come by though and a reason why I only get all the parts next week, 6 days shipping :/

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Got my 8700k today. Didn't expect it until December though so hadn't ordered anything else. Ordered the rest today and it should arrive by Thursday next week. This is what I ended up ordering. Have to thank @Evildeffy for the RAM recommendation, didn't even know there was 3600/CL15 / 3466/CL14 RAM on the market. It was pretty hard to come by though and a reason why I only get all the parts next week, 6 days shipping :/
    From what I've read so far it is the best "casual" kit there is.. Any higher and you go into high-end overclocking area and it still seems that 3600 - 3800 MHz is where Coffee Lake starts freaking out depending on the quality of your IMC on the chip if you just run a CPU overclock and XMP.

On Kaby Lake it was ~3600 where you had a 50/50 chance of it working with even a medium CPU OC @ 4,5 - 4,6GHz ... So the controller does seem to have improved a little so 3600 SHOULD be good.

According to the video I previously linked there are definite tangible benefits according to it and the source and testing materials he got it from state that kit to be the best in terms of performance because they belong to the highest memory bins from all brands.

Of course this is all unknown to me IRL since it mostly made little difference before ... But if I have the chance to extract extra performance at almost no real cost increase (whoopdidoo.. 10 flipping euros) then I'll get it and /pray.

And if it can't handle 3600 CL15 then I'll drop it to 3466 CL14.

But it really continues to annoy the hell out of me to not have the Maximus X Code... Goddamnit
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    From what I've read so far it is the best "casual" kit there is.. Any higher and you go into high-end overclocking area and it still seems that 3600 - 3800 MHz is where Coffee Lake starts freaking out depending on the quality of your IMC on the chip if you just run a CPU overclock and XMP.

On Kaby Lake it was ~3600 where you had a 50/50 chance of it working with even a medium CPU OC @ 4,5 - 4,6GHz ... So the controller does seem to have improved a little so 3600 SHOULD be good.

According to the video I previously linked there are definite tangible benefits according to it and the source and testing materials he got it from state that kit to be the best in terms of performance because they belong to the highest memory bins from all brands.

Of course this is all unknown to me IRL since it mostly made little difference before ... But if I have the chance to extract extra performance at almost no real cost increase (whoopdidoo.. 10 flipping euros) then I'll get it and /pray.

And if it can't handle 3600 CL15 then I'll drop it to 3466 CL14.

But it really continues to annoy the hell out of me to not have the Maximus X Code... Goddamnit
    Holly shit. The price here in Denmark for the Maximus X Code is 590EU and there is 3-4 weeks delivery on it. Im still just gonna go with the Giga G7 for 280EU
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Holly shit. The price here in Denmark for the Maximus X Code is 590EU and there is 3-4 weeks delivery on it. Im still just gonna go with the Giga G7 for 280EU
    The estimated price is 379 - 399 euros here but no confirmed pricing as of yet.
    If it costs that much for you you're being ripped for pre-ordering with a guesstimated price.

Granted Denmark is a little overpriced comparatively but generally within 10 - 12% of the NL/DE.

So in this case your shops are simply trying to rob you and considering the EU HQ of ASUS is literally 3 minutes from my house and me almost having landed a job there I can tell you no shop can really tell you the price of the Maximus X Code/Formula just yet
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    I would aim for 5ghz with the 8600k +NH-D15, heard its a bit easier to OC than the 8700k. Seen people push 5.3-5.4ghz on it delidded.
    It's not worth the extra heat imo.

Right now my dilemma is getting The Witcher 3 GoTY for $20 or Dying Light with all content for $23.

With my previous system and 2500k at stock I couldn't get above 40fps in towns in TW3 with most settings turned up at 1440p, that should no longer be an issue.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Placid View Post
    How to afford an i9....
    Get a job or two jobs.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!