Quote Originally Posted by gyrados View Post
    so who here prefers the sith over jedi i mean sith masterrace imo
    I think both sides are moronic. Jedi are too rigid in their mindsets and refuse to play dirty, Sith are just... comic book villain evil most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Dude we're talking about a Skywalker ( strong af Force genes ) who was trained by the Dark Side and killed his whole ''class''. He's also pretty much the field leader of the Empire, everyone seems to fear him and listen to him.

Rey was what, a scavenger in a desert. C'mon.
    I think something the original trilogy set up nicely was that how strong you are with the Force can make up for lack of training, and how good (which is different) you are with it is emotional.

For example, the "best" Dark/Light side users are the "pure" ones. The Emperor, who never doubts, Yoda, who never doubts. The ones who fail (at their respective sides) are those who have conflicted emotions. Vader fails only when he lets love conflict his dedication to the Dark Side. Luke fails (but eventually recovers) to his commitment to the Light Side when he lashes out in anger against the Emperor/Vader when he threatens Leia.

Likewise, I think one of the subtle things about TFA is that Kylo Ren has conflicting emotions. He speaks about as much with Han on the bridge. Now, the purpose of that little speech was a lie to lure Han in, but the best lies are laced with the truth. Rey is the opposite: she gives in quickly, and easily. You see it in her body language, how much she lets it flow through her. I think if the earth literally didn't split between them, she would have killed Kylo Ren at the end of TFA.

And I think this'll be a theme in TLJ. Why? Because it's a theme, already, in the trailer. You see in the trailer that Kylo Ren is conflicted about blowing up Leia's ship. He's obviously upset enough to smash his helmet, which was symbolic of his dedication to the Dark Side and sort of an honorific to his grandfather, Vader. Meanwhile, everything is coming to Rey naturally - almost supernaturally. And Luke is, rightly, afraid of it. I wouldn't be surprised if she goes through a similar ESB-like trial, but completely annihilates it and learns nothing from it - I imagine the black-robed Luke at the side of the cave pool is part of the trial, that she ignores. It seems to me Luke will reach out to Kylo to try and stop her, and Snoke will be eager for Rey to, as he said in the trailer. "give in to [her] destiny."

If that's roughly the outline of the movie , the whole Light Side/Dark Side dichotomy breaks down, as both the main characters move towards Grey-ness. But it creates a new dichotomy - the one side which has doubt, which has questions, which is curious and looking for new answers and open to change. And the other, the rigid, the fanatical, the devoted-beyond-reason, the unable to change, which is what both the Jedi and the Sith used to be.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2017-10-23 at 01:10 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I think both sides are moronic. Jedi are too rigid in their mindsets and refuse to play dirty, Sith are just... comic book villain evil most of the time.
    sith aren't rigid there just always shown as mustache twirling villains for some reason. the sith are all about following your passion in theory you could have a sith who really wants to be a painter and would be the best dam painter the galaxy has ever seen. but instead we get i'm evil rawr death and destruction

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...whoa. Are you suggesting that Disney isn't the only studio that tries to profit from their properties as much as they possibly can? That's unpossible.
    No no, clearly Disney is evil incarnate and are turning Star Wars into their next princess line in order to destroy white males and make lots of cash.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    sith aren't rigid there just always shown as mustache twirling villains for some reason. the sith are all about following your passion in theory you could have a sith who really wants to be a painter and would be the best dam painter the galaxy has ever seen. but instead we get i'm evil rawr death and destruction
    It's not that kind of passion. In that case, passion is the primitive emotions that drives a human being, like lust, anger, fear, jealousy. It is the opposite of reason. Since they are the most basic emotions of living being, it's no surprise that they should be the easiest way to channel the Dark Side of the Living Force. Lust, anger, fear, jealousy: they are all necessary for survival. But if you concentrate on these feelings, they will lead you to domination, greed, hate, lack of empathy. So it is perfectly logic that practitionners of the Dark Side will become evil tyrants.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    No no, clearly Disney is evil incarnate and are turning Star Wars into their next princess line in order to destroy white males and make lots of cash.
    Man, you must feel very insecure with your virility if you are feeling threatened by Disney princesses...

Watch out behind you! Snow White is about to cut your testicles.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    It's not that kind of passion. In that case, passion is the primitive emotions that drives a human being, like lust, anger, fear, jealousy. It is the opposite of reason. Since they are the most basic emotions of living being, it's no surprise that they should be the easiest way to channel the Dark Side of the Living Force. Lust, anger, fear, jealousy: they are all necessary for survival. But if you concentrate on these feelings, they will lead you to domination, greed, hate, lack of empathy. So it is perfectly logic that practitionners of the Dark Side will become evil tyrants.
    theirs no reason you can't feel lust jealousy towards painting. there no real reason all sith have to be pants on head evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Man, you must feel very insecure with your virility if you are feeling threatened by Disney princesses...

Watch out behind you! Snow White is about to cut your testicles.
    Some of the comments I've seen posted on Facebook, just...yeah.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    I'm not very optimistic after watching the trailer.

I will rage until the ends of time if Luke dies and/or his power levels get nerfed. He's Luke Skywalker, the most powerful living Jedi, he's the hero of the entire saga. I couldn't care less what happens to Kylo/Rey/Finn as long as Luke saves the mother fuckin day.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skokeh View Post

I will rage until the ends of time if Luke dies and/or his power levels get nerfed. He's Luke Skywalker, the most powerful living Jedi, he's the hero of the entire saga. I couldn't care less what happens to Kylo/Rey/Finn as long as Luke saves the mother fuckin day.
    But Luke didn’t even save the day in his own trilogy the only reason he didn’t die to think emperor was because Vader turned on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Following your passion is the outset of it, what they don't tell you is that the Force you wield through that utterly corrupts you and twists your mind.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Following your passion is the outset of it, what they don't tell you is that the Force you wield through that utterly corrupts you and twists your mind.
    I don’t quite think it sores corrupt the mind I think people who are easily corrupted are drawn to it. If we look at cannon dark sides users there are people like Ventrus who used the dark side for a while but clearly still had a good chuck of good in her as you see when she’s saves the kid when she’s a merc with boba or when she helps Asoka. It more so seems like power hungry or less moral people are drawn to the dark side rather then the dark side making them power hungry or making them less moral.

Would you be unhappy if Luke chose not to fight either Rey or Kylo, sort of like Obi Wan in ANH against Vader? To teach a lesson?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Would you be unhappy if Luke chose not to fight either Rey or Kylo, sort of like Obi Wan in ANH against Vader? To teach a lesson?
    Very unhappy especially if he dies, didn't buy into the whole “If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine” bullshit in ANH, why didn't we see Obi Wan's super saiyan levels of power???

Maybe it's my age (36) but I cannot stand this passing of the torch crap we see in modern movies, I get that studios want to appeal to new audiences but there was a reason the likes of Luke, Leia and Han were so popular. For me I wanted episodes 7,8 & 9 to continue Luke's epic journey against the dark side, have a padawan sure but keep the story Luke focussed.

Very unhappy especially if he dies, didn't buy into the whole “If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine” bullshit in ANH, why didn't we see Obi Wan's super saiyan levels of power???

Maybe it's my age (36) but I cannot stand this passing of the torch crap we see in modern movies, I get that studios want to appeal to new audiences but there was a reason the likes of Luke, Leia and Han were so popular. For me I wanted episodes 7,8 & 9 to continue Luke's epic journey against the dark side, have a padawan sure but keep the story Luke focussed.
    I'm 36 as well, but it seems like you didn't like the original concepts in the original trilogy either, if you didn't see the value in Obi Wan's sacrifice. If you didn't like one of THE CORE CONCEPTS of the Jedi in the first trilogy, why would you like it if it potentially happens a second time?

What *did* you like about the originals? Cool effects, for the times? New movies still have those. Because other than that, Star Wars is a battle between philosophies of life, moreso than anything else.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand this fascination with Luke. He's just a farmboi. I had no problem enjoying the Old Republic stories without any Lukes in it. I will enjoy new republic stories without Lukes too. Passing of torch must happen, the sooner the better.

38 here, seems like it's relevant.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    I'm 36 as well, but it seems like you didn't like the original concepts in the original trilogy either, if you didn't see the value in Obi Wan's sacrifice. If you didn't like one of THE CORE CONCEPTS of the Jedi in the first trilogy, why would you like it if it potentially happens a second time?

What *did* you like about the originals? Cool effects, for the times? New movies still have those. Because other than that, Star Wars is a battle between philosophies of life, moreso than anything else.
    Oh I absolutely loved the original trilogy and understand why Obi Wan sacrificed himself (he believed in the prophecy that Anakin would bring balance to the force and that Luke would have a part to play). I guess I had issues with that line about becoming more powerful, to me this isn't something a force for good would say and felt like an empty threat, maybe I'm missing something...

I'm just concerned that's all. I watched Star Wars as a kid and abosolutely idolised Luke, I was with him on his journey from simple farm boy to Jedi Knight. All the shit he went through to get there gave kid me belief that anything's possible. Now to see Rey's powers potentially eclipse Luke's leaves a sour taste in my mouth, he's Luke Skywalker and forever the hero in my head.

My friends tell me I'm a grumpy old man who doesn't like change, I guess this plays a part in my thinking!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I don't understand this fascination with Luke. He's just a farmboi. I had no problem enjoying the Old Republic stories without any Lukes in it. I will enjoy new republic stories without Lukes too. Passing of torch must happen, the sooner the better.

38 here, seems like it's relevant.
    34 here, 90% of the star wars I enjoyed didn't even have Luke in it.

7+ Year Old Account

couldnt agree more. Thats is the core of jedi and sith. they are conflicting philosphies. and at some points in time there have been jedi who were able to take the best of both and they were cast out by both orders.....until one or the other needed them that is.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

When the episode 7 trailer came out I watched it like 50 times that first week. I was beyond excited to see the movie. The episode 8 trailer just left me going meh.

Oh I absolutely loved the original trilogy and understand why Obi Wan sacrificed himself (he believed in the prophecy that Anakin would bring balance to the force and that Luke would have a part to play). I guess I had issues with that line about becoming more powerful, to me this isn't something a force for good would say and felt like an empty threat, maybe I'm missing something...
    So you didn't understand it then, the whole 'blah blah prophecy' and 'blah blah balance to the force' didn't exist when that scene was filmed.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988