Objectives - Good or Bad?

So I'm a huge HotS fan, but I recently just starting playing LoL. I think the main thing that drives me away from HotS are the objective-based battlegrounds. Initially when they announced them, I was like oh this is cool, different objectives will spice up the gameplay.

But after playing this game for a few years now, I actually think it's kind of a negative aspect of the game. If I get something like Hanamura, I'd rather just quit the game and log out. Then there are some other situations where you get a battleground that is just shit for your comp and it nearly guarantees a loss.

I think I would much prefer "objective" based maps be sort of a brawl thing. And the base game has just regular LoL maps with creeps, but they can just reskin them with the art assets from each of the battlegrounds.

So what are your thoughts on the objective stuff?

The only map that I seriously dislike is Blackheart's Bay.

one of hots major selling points is having objective based maps.

its one of the reasons i abandoned Dota, i was tired of the same map over and over.

having differently shaped maps matters squat without the objectives. having different combinations of heroes which fit the objectives and maps is part of the formula which defines HoTs. it creates more varied ways and purposes for hero abilities. It gives team fights more direction, reward and purpose outside of "lets kill the other guys" and encourages strategies which would not otherwise exist and make the game shallower for it.

otherwise its just one stop closer to being a korean moba clone you can find on any android or IOS.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2017-10-23 at 07:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Objectives? Good.

Peoples ability to understand and correctly use them? So, so, SO poor.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Some of the objectives are a real pain in the ass and some feel like they're not worth the trouble, but I still like there exist these defining elements to a map.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Deleted
    If you take out the objective based gameplay it is just like any other MoBA, but without the gear purchasing aspect.

Yes its frustrating when your comp is just bad for the map your own, but that could be solved by simply putting in a system where you pick after being given the map. would avoid some of these issues. Which equally is how team league and hero league work

Some good, some bad, just like in WoW. Makes me wish we had a ban system over a map rotation because people will inevitably dislike certain maps but I don't think that'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Reape View Post
    If you take out the objective based gameplay it is just like any other MoBA, but without the gear purchasing aspect.

Yes its frustrating when your comp is just bad for the map your own, but that could be solved by simply putting in a system where you pick after being given the map. would avoid some of these issues. Which equally is how team league and hero league work
    And unranked is the perfect example

7+ Year Old Account
    Great.

It's one of the primary reasons this is the only MOBA I've enjoyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Like others have said it's one of the main reasons I play HotS instead of other MOBAs. Some maps I dislike (I'm looking at you BHB and to a lesser extent Garden of Terror) and others I'm sort of neutral about (Haunted Mines/Braxis) but in general it's the main appeal of the game.

Without objectives this game would be stale. We would spend 10-15 minutes early-mid game just farming, an occasional gank, until level 20. Then it would be deathball vs deathball. There would be nothing to break up the tedium. NO purchasing gear etc etc. Now obj force team fights and force drafts into considering the obj/map layout. Obj are part of the reason why I love the game. They make each map unique and force both teams out of lane phase into team fight to spice up early/mid game.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who's never played any other MOBA I can't imagine the game without objectives, what have you got without them?

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    As someone who's never played any other MOBA I can't imagine the game without objectives, what have you got without them?
    You have a boring 20-25 minutes of lane phase with some jungling. Then you may start to have team fights, but many times someone was so much better they just carry the team. Nothing like laning for 20-30 minutes

Thanks for sharing this awasome creative ideas

I love objectives it makes Hots what it is, only map i literally hate is Braxis. But I'd like to see map without objectives, like typical MOBA map, maybe in Brawl or something with mercenaries only giving xp. Could be boring, could be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Pretty much what Zapanth said. You lane for half an hour while 1-2 guys steal the whole fucking show for the other 30 minutes. Rinse, repeat.

Coming from Dota I find the objectives to be really refreshing. It makes the game more dynamic and makes people get out of their lanes much sooner. Definitely liking the objectives in maps.

I like it, it makes game more dynamic and focus on the team-work, though they could make one map without objective.

7+ Year Old Account
    I personally think that the objectives are actually what makes me like the game over its competitors. Killing the nexus again and again is really what is holding back LoL in my opinion.

HotS creates not only variety through different players and different characters, but also different maps and the objectives of these maps. This will ofcourse make you hate some of the maps more then you would the average map of LoL, but it will hopefully also let you love some of them more then the average LoL map. Personally, i just love the new Overwatch map and the Diablo map with punishers are quite fun aswell.

So while i can see why somebody might dislike the objectives, i think it is what keeps it above the other MOBAs in their own area. If HotS tried to emulate LoL and DOTA too much, they would just be beaten out by them since they have had alot of years to create a good formula.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.