15+ Year Old Account

Makrura as an Aqir offshoot?

I was listening to a podcast last night where they were discussing strange foods like grilled tarantula (tastes like crab?), and they got to talking about how crustaceans are basically "bugs." Then earlier I was looking through the old (non-canon) Lands of Mystery RPG sourcebook to refresh my memory on all the old South Seas zones it listed, and came across Mak'aru, the supposed makrura capital, beneath the Maelstrom, built into Scintal Reef, a miles-long coral reef.

I had never really thought about it before, but the makrura definitely do have similar body types to nerubians and some of the aqir. From what we've seen of them they appear to be quite primitive, but the fact that at some point they were intended to have a capital could perhaps suggest the presence of a more sophisticated makrura society beneath the ocean.

So, do you think they could be servants of N'Zoth, just as the qiraji, nerubians, and mantids served C'Thun, Yog-Sarron, and Y'Shaarj? Would you like to see Mak'aru as an Ahn'Qiraj / Azjol-Nerub / Klaxxi'vess style city or raid?

Deleted
    I see Mak'aru being on the wishlists of some people, including mine. But I don't want them to be N'Zoth servants. I'd rather stick to Brann's theory that they are descendants of some wild god.

10+ Year Old Account
    Weren't Murlocs once theorised to be pawns of the Makrura? I would tie murlocs closer to N'zoth.

Makrura are also found on Draenor which could throw the theory into doubt.

I am hoping for a new aqir like race may a waterbug type but humanoid of course. If the Makura are going to be it then I want them to give them a bunch of new models.
    11/4/23 Updated power level -> Sargeras > Xal'atath > Void Empowered Azshara > Alleria > Galakrond > Iridikron > N'zoth > Jailor > Argus > Death Empowered Sylvanas > Lich King Arthas > Kil'jaeden > Archimonde > Illidan > Deathwing

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    Weren't Murlocs once theorised to be pawns of the Makrura? I would tie murlocs closer to N'zoth.

There were also supposedly old gods on Draenor.

Plus, those fungi seas still aren't exactly explained.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

MoP had a quest line to unlock the crab claw by killing the Makrura Lieutenants around the coasts and that indicated that there was more to the species than we'd encountered so far. @Nymrohd makes an excellent case for why we should believe they will be tied to N'zoth. Plus, the fact that they have rudimentary Shamanism affinities might relate to their having been around at the time of the Black Empire when the Elements were strictly under the Old God's dominion, especially since N'zoth has been frames as the "grand planner" of the 4/5 -- he may have been trying to precede his advantage by going down the magic route instead of training his armies in physical strength.

I am going to think for now that they are not the servants, but a race mutated out of them might be the servants of N'zoth. The other old god serving species were similarly evolved out of all kinds of insect creatures. We even could already have seen such a thing in those big C'Thraxi like general Vezax. (Yes even though he's a faceless one.)
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Eucep View Post
    I am going to think for now that they are not the servants, but a race mutated out of them might be the servants of N'zoth. The other old god serving species were similarly evolved out of all kinds of insect creatures. We even could already have seen such a thing in those big C'Thraxi like general Vezax. (Yes even though he's a faceless one.)
    It's also possible for them to be a sort of slave race akin to the silithid being the slave soldiers to the intelligent Qiraji. We just haven't seen the higher ups yet.

(Not saying this as fact, just a "possibility.")
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Deleted
    I always imagined there were effective Ancients of the Deep. Fish, eel and lobster ancients akin to ashermane etc. And these would be the fathers of the various ocean races. This is purely head canon though.

Though I could see it happening the makrura seem to pathetic to be aqir. All the others have been shown to be actively dangerous (mantid and cthun's bugs) or dark and mysterious (nerubains). We've been killing the lobsters for meat since level 5.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post

Makes it far more believable there are presumably aqir on countless planets from the old gods cast into the great dark beyond. So makrura would have a better chance to be on multiple planets

I've considered that possibility for quite some time.

A few things to speculate further:
    - Not all Aqir-related species are loyal to the Old Gods. The nerubians were quite afraid of the faceless ones and the "Forgotten One". They seem to have evolved to a point of trying to negate their servitude. Makrura may have been servitors of N'Zoth that later tried to free themselves, which would explain their enmity with the Naga (at least in old lore).

- N'Zoth was not an underwater god during the Black Empire. Only after the Sundering his prison fell to the sea. Maybe the Makrura were created recently (less than 10,000 years) to serve him?

- Maybe the Makrura are a slave race, like the silithid. Who's the master race? Well, the naga! But, unlike the silithid, Makrura are intelligent, so they may be trying to free themselves, thus explaining their war against the naga.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always wondered this. But if they're like silithid, what could be more intelligent than them, and how would they look? A hermit crab?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Well I've linked these guys several times now but here they are again:

Oh my gods that is glorious

Deleted
    That last giant crab is gonna be the first dummy boss of the raid tier where we will be testing our rotation

If we ever get an insectoid race, I would freak out if that was freaking lobsters instead of actual Aqir.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    There were also supposedly old gods on Draenor.

Plus, those fungi seas still aren't exactly explained.
    They're leftovers from the sporemounds after the struggle between Grond and the colossals.

what if makrura and bogstrok are nzoth servants? Mr. Pinchy is actually N'zoth's avatar