Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can anyone recommend me a good audio book ?

Hey.

I've Listened through all the World of warcraft books that audible had to offer, and i'm wondering if anyone have any recommendations for other good audio books?

Deleted
    I only listen to audiobooks on Audible due to disability - here are my recommendations

Harry Potter series
    Discworld series
    His Dark Materials trilogy
    The Witcher Saga

All fantasy and high quality audio, you're looking at over 300 hours.... There's also a few good audiodramas like Alien

If you like Star Wars I would recommend Plagueis and Thrawn. The first is no longer cannon but makes the prequels make so much more sense and is narrated really well and really has a nice focus on Sith. Thrawn is part of the new cannon and is also narrated really well and is a good story (getting a new book this summer too) and gives you amazing insight to the "non-force" side of the Universe.

Deleted
    The real trouble with audiobooks is finding one with a good voice or performance otherwise even the best story sounds dull

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    If you like Star Wars I would recommend Plagueis and Thrawn. The first is no longer cannon but makes the prequels make so much more sense and is narrated really well and really has a nice focus on Sith. Thrawn is part of the new cannon and is also narrated really well and is a good story (getting a new book this summer too) and gives you amazing insight to the "non-force" side of the Universe.
    I do love me some star wars, Got any exact titles or Book order (If it's a long series)?

These top 4 I would recommend to anyone, even not avid SW fans. They are all stand alone novels with Thrawn getting a follow up this summer.

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno -- Just a stunning book on the Sith and how Palap ends up where he is. (not cannon but ties into cannon SO well)

Thrawn by Timothy Zahn -- Goes into the rise of Grand Admiral Thrawn in the Empire. (Cannon)

Star Wars: Tarkin by James Luceno -- really good book that goes into Tarkin. (Cannon)

Star Wars: Lords of the Sith by Pual S. Kemp -- really good book that gives great perspective. (Cannon)

If you end up really digging books and don't mind not cannon..

Darth Bane Trilogy is great: (in order to read) by: Drew Karpyshyn
    Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
    Darth Bane: Rule of Two
    Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil

Thrawn Trilogy is also great: (in order to read) by: Timothy Zahn (this started Thrawn, its no longer cannon but GREAT stories)
    Star Wars: Heir to the Empire
    Star Wars: Dark Force Rising
    Star Wars: The Last Command

From here just look at other SW books by the simular authors and you cannot really go wrong. They are good at their craft and good at writing SW. They usually have good folks reading them as well making the audio experince that much better.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2017-10-21 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    These top 4 I would recommend to anyone, even not avid SW fans. They are all stand alone novels with Thrawn getting a follow up this summer.

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno -- Just a stunning book on the Sith and how Palap ends up where he is. (not cannon but ties into cannon SO well)

Thrawn by Timothy Zahn -- Goes into the rise of Grand Admiral Thrawn in the Empire. (Cannon)

Star Wars: Tarkin by James Luceno -- really good book that goes into Tarkin. (Cannon)

Star Wars: Lords of the Sith by Pual S. Kemp -- really good book that gives great perspective. (Cannon)

If you end up really digging books and don't mind not cannon..

Darth Bane Trilogy is great: (in order to read) by: Drew Karpyshyn
    Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
    Darth Bane: Rule of Two
    Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil

Thrawn Trilogy is also great: (in order to read) by: Timothy Zahn (this started Thrawn, its no longer cannon but GREAT stories)
    Star Wars: Heir to the Empire
    Star Wars: Dark Force Rising
    Star Wars: The Last Command

From here just look at other SW books by the simular authors and you cannot really go wrong. They are good at their craft and good at writing SW. They usually have good folks reading them as well making the audio experince that much better.
    Thanks for this

I can suggest you Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating

I second the star wars ones, easily my fav fantasy books.

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire Dresden Files series, voiced by James Marsters, he's fantastic.
    Cinder Spires, voiced by Euan Morton, who is also fantastic.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Ready Player One by Earnest Cline, narrated by Wil Wheaton. Fantastic story, fittingly narrated by someone who actually enjoys the genre. Catch it before the Spielberg movie release next year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    Ready Player One by Earnest Cline, narrated by Wil Wheaton. Fantastic story, fittingly narrated by someone who actually enjoys the genre. Catch it before the Spielberg movie release next year.
    I was gonna say that. It really is an excellent book wish he would hurry up with Ready Player Two.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    I listened to this one. I liked it but it has the young adult thing where all the adults are idiots and only the teenager knows what's going on, that was a little irritating.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It's already been mention, but I'll second The Witcher saga. Great, great books.

Quote Originally Posted by Armakus View Post
    It's already been mention, but I'll second The Witcher saga. Great, great books.
    How about we recommend outside of game material?

Just for starters, anything written and narrated by Neil Gaiman is nice. I'd go with Neverwhere, but some prefer other works.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    How about we recommend outside of game material?

Just for starters, anything written and narrated by Neil Gaiman is nice. I'd go with Neverwhere, but some prefer other works.
    The Witcher Saga was written well before the games existed

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you want fantasy

Discworld
    Wheel of time
    Mistborne
    The way of kings (story not done still being released)
    A shadow of what was lost (also not done)
    War breaker (single book not a series)

If you want si-if
    Aliens vs predators rage war
    Honour harington series (not finished)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    The real trouble with audiobooks is finding one with a good voice or performance otherwise even the best story sounds dull
    This is very true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Spike <3

I second the person who said His Dark Materials, the audiobooks are really awesome, different voice actors for each character and the author himself narrating the rest. Great paper books and great audiobooks.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

There was this book about a machine that could predict the cause of peoples death, I think its titled " this is how you die " either way I really enjoyed that one.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Beat me to it. The Dresden Files is a great audiobook series. The first 2 books a little rough, with Marsters kinda working out the characters, but after that they are great.