Thread: Losing a pet.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Losing a pet.

I really have no goal as to posting this here other than to vent a bit of my pain into a community, some of which may understand. I've had my cat for 10 years and rescued her as a kitten (found her wandering my dorm common room). August 2016 I feel a lump on her belly and October 2017 and 4 surgeries later it's metastasized to lung cancer and I probably have less than 2 weeks left with her. I love her, I'm not ashamed to say it or that losing her is going to hurt immensely.

I've lost other pets - I'm 30, there's no way I hadn't in a pet-loving family - this is the first time I'll have to choose "when". How do you know? Have you had to let go of a loved pet? How did you know? How did you do it?

Sorry, this is heavy. I know...but isn't it great to see a post not about politics? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    My older dog (13) is getting near the end. He’s got vestibular disease, which is really hard to watch sometimes. I’m hoping he’ll pass peacefully in his sleep, but if I see he’s in pain and/or can no longer keep food and water down, that’s when I’d end it for him. I wouldn’t want him to suffer.
    Thank you for answering. I don't want her to suffer, either, but it's still so hard to know that line between living uncomfortably and when she'd (or if it were me, I'd) like to go.

I'm sorry about your pupper it really does suck to watch someone you love deteriorate.

I have lost two dogs over my life so far.

Yes, it will hurt. No, you can't avoid it. No matter what you tell yourself, you know its going to happen and there is nothing you can do about it. One of the hardest things we will ever have to do in our lives is decide when its time to have the animal euthanized to relieve its suffering. Even though we feel horrible about it, it is the right thing to do when the animal no longer has any quality of life.

You will be fine. It hurts for awhile but you will grieve in your own way, and every day after will get easier. You will always miss the pet, but you know you gave it a good life.

I would recommend that you look in to another pet afterwards. Maybe not immediately, but it can help immensely with processing your feelings.

Hope this helps. I'm sorry for anyone that has to go through this. Its never easy, but ultimately, having a pet is worth it.

Lost one of my Corgis last year to cancer.

RIP Maggie. You know its time when they won't even eat Bacon and you've already spent $3,000. Nail in coffin is she just pissed in her bed one night and laid in it because she couldn't even move.

Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-10-28 at 05:12 AM.

Deleted
    If losing a pet has you in shambles, imagine losing a family member or a loved one. You can probably look forward to that, too.

I'm terribly sorry. We lost our last dog, we had to have her put down.
    It was an awful day and I still feel terrible about it any time I spend too much time thinking about it.

You have to make a judgement call. Is the animal suffering?
    If so, then it's time. The animal shouldn't be asked to suffer, especially with such a short time window remaining.

It will hurt like hell and you will be sad for a while. But time tends to heal these kinds of things. I had a couple of horrible days when my cat of 14 years died. If you are going to the vet, i would highly recommend being there yourself, and having all who can be there. It is something you will regret if you are not there, and it will only hurt more.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotchris View Post
    I really have no goal as to posting this here other than to vent a bit of my pain into a community, some of which may understand. I've had my cat for 10 years and rescued her as a kitten (found her wandering my dorm common room). August 2016 I feel a lump on her belly and October 2017 and 4 surgeries later it's metastasized to lung cancer and I probably have less than 2 weeks left with her. I love her, I'm not ashamed to say it or that losing her is going to hurt immensely.

I've lost other pets - I'm 30, there's no way I hadn't in a pet-loving family - this is the first time I'll have to choose "when". How do you know? Have you had to let go of a loved pet? How did you know? How did you do it?

Sorry, this is heavy. I know...but isn't it great to see a post not about politics? LOL
    The only thing I can say, take pictures, let her know she loves you, spend the time with her.

I lost my cat of 17 years last year. My heart still breaks for him, I miss him so much. I had him since he was a kitten, and oddly enough, I didn't even realize his age until my brother said something the year before his death. I just assumed he was always going to be there. He entered my life I think when I needed him the most, and I didn't pick him, he picked me.

I was in the army at the time, and a few of my friends and I walked into a pet shop while we were stationed at Ft. Campbell. They had a bunch of kittens in a cage and of course, all of us had to go see the kittens. During that time, I had no interest in a pet at all. Mainly because I was just recently stationed at Ft. Campbell, fresh out of basic training / MIT, and second, because I lived in the barracks - so no pets allowed. My friends placed the kittens on top of the cage and we're petting them, and this little ball of orange fluff came over to me and started meowing, demanding my attention. I pet him, and turned to walk away, he followed me as far as he could on top of the cage. My friend commented to me that he wanted me to take him home, to which, I laughed. I said, yeah, not happening. Suddenly, he jumped on me, and just wouldn't let go. My friend told me later that apparently the kitten wasn't taking no for an answer.

So, it happened. I adopted a kitten from a pet store, had him fixed, shots and everything. Brought him back to the barracks in secret, then eventually got caught. They demanded I get rid of him, but it was too late, I had fallen in love with my little ball of orange fluff. I decided to get an apartment off post. Yes, all because of this little kitten who picked me. His name was "Doggie". Doggie turned out to be my best fur buddy friend for 17 years. He followed me as I moved from state to state. Never once did he seemed annoyed at the moves. He was patient and calm. He was there to support me with purrs through a rough accident that got me medically retired from the military. He was by far, the best cat I've ever owned. As I said, my heart still breaks for him.

17 years is a very long life for a cat. I honestly think he would of lived longer, but he was diagnosed with a thyroid problem which took it's toll on his body. The worst part, it took 6 vets to find the problem. By the time we found the problem, it was too late. He was beyond saving. One day, he wasn't on my bed. I went into our kitchen and I found him trying to hide, he was pretty much done. I picked him up, rushed him to the vet, to confirm he was at his end. He was so weak. I held him and cried. I asked him to purr once more for me, to which he did, it was brief, I think it was all he could muster. Then he fell silent as they euthanized him as he laid in my arms.

They become family, trusted friends. It's hard to lose them. In this case, I think about him every day, and honestly, I was crying as I typed this

Be strong for your cat, let her know it's going to be ok, and be sure to tell her you lover her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    If losing a pet has you in shambles, imagine losing a family member or a loved one. You can probably look forward to that, too.
    To many people, pets are like family members.

Over three months I put down a 16 year old cat pet (brain tumor), a 1 year old kitten (rare virus mutation), and a 14 year old dog (my childhood pet which basically died of old age). We knew it was time when we were two weeks into caring for every detail of their life. We were feeding them via syringe and cleaning up their random "accidents". Basically we knew when it was time to put them down when their care was taking more time then ours and they had a clearly terminal illness. All three times (over three months) we took them to a vet where they gave them a lethal injection. Went to a different place each time for various reasons. I learned quickly after we put down the kitten that it's important to find a place that'll do it right. The good places give time and hide the nasty parts, truly making it seem like it's their natural time and you are saying goodbye. The place we took out kitten... I wanted to kill them afterwards. They treated the ordeal like they were taking out the trash. Everytime sucked and I felt horrid for months after. I was nearly convinced I was personally killing them, but it helped do research into the causes and to find a place that does it "right".
    On a side note. Don't be afraid to adopt soon afterwards. It helped keep our minds off the empty house, made us feel better to be taking care of an animal again. Just be wary of resentment. You gotta remember your new pet is not your old pet, you are not replacing them. Every pet has an individual personality just like we do and will go through adjustment/growing pains.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    To many people, pets are like family members.
    Until they lose one.

Get a new one, remember the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Really inconsiderate response. Pets are family members.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotchris View Post

I had to put my cat down a year ago.

I had had him for like... 18 years.

He started getting really skinny and had trouble standing. He would hop off my bed and collapse and just lay there.

I decided to put him to sleep because his quality of life has drastically decreased and I thought it was more humane to put him to sleep rather than suffer a painful death.

Perhaps you should make the same decision.

My cat died in January this year at 14 years (more or less). My biggest regret is not taking her to the vet to see if anything was wrong with her, like if she was ill. She didn't have any visible trauma to her, so it might have been old age.

As for how I dealt with it, when I first noticed her declining health I mentally prepared myself for the day she'd die (believe me, it helps). When she finally died I buried her myself and had a few beers afterwards - over the span of 2 hours, mind you - to calm down.

Nice fact to keep in mind, the physical work and personal feeling of burying her made it pretty therapeutic. Everything didn't become right as rain, but it lent a small comfort.
    I actually used the 2016 BlizzCon Goody Bag box as the coffin. It was a nice gesture, I think.

I just lost a cat about a month ago. He was an outdoor cat from birth who belonged to a homeless man, and it was very difficult transitioning him to indoor life. He made numerous escape attempts (and trust me, I did everything to transition him as slowly as possible/make my home into basically a cat palace) and he managed to get out when the pet sitter came by to walk the dog. The next day I got a phone call from animal control, he was eaten by a coyote. I live in close-in Portland...

Anyway, what I did was that I spent a few days thinking about the situation/grieving, then went down to the humane society to look at cats. Was just to look, but ended up bringing a very social 3.5 month kitten home. He's a bit bratty (he's a cat after all), but immediately going out and getting another cat was probably the best thing I could have done, and I definitely didn't expect that. It helped my dog, who missed her friend, and it helped me. No two pets are alike so there's no replacing the animal you lost, but they help to heal your heart in their own way.

And yes the kitten will be indoor only.

I also stole my cat about 10 years ago. Best decision of my life and I hope she lasts another 10 years.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

I had the thought "It is a pet, what's the big deal?" for while. Until I owned a pet. It was about 3 years ago when I decided that I wanted a change of pace and decided to get a pet.

I went to the animal shelter, and found this adorable little kitten. I extended my arms to her and she refused to play with me. But from the shadowy corner of the cage, jumps a ferocious little kitten and playful bit me. I got that cat instantly.

Since then, I realized the value in owing a pet. I even fought tooth and nail to bring her home with me when I left united states.

I dread the day when I'll wake up and not find her lay beside my feet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just had to put my 13 year old Gordon Setter down last week. They let you know when it's time. It hurts like hell to do it, but you know it's for the best when they are no longer enjoying life.

Check around to see if there is an in home euthanization service in your area.
    It may be more expensive than a vet office but you at least can grieve in the the privacy of your own home.