Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    Absolutely. Kripparian even has a great video about how to top the DPS chart everytime in WoW (from back when he played). Very enlightening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlrW0MY_n7g
    Shit man, quickly remove the link before my guildies see it.

Getting a rank 1 parse on Sasszine means ignoring all the mechanics, getting as many fish as possible and going batshit crazy on the adds 24/7 while no one else in your raid is allowed to touch them.

That doesn't make you the best player, that just makes you the prolly most liked person in your guild or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Do you agree with this statement?

Shouldn't the #1 goal be to rank the very highest you can on any given boss, whether you are a tank, healer and especially a DPS?
    No. I just want to read the quest text and have a cool xmog.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going for mythic world firsts, or pushing mythic raid content, then sure. Other than that, have fun.

Highest rank parses typically happen when people just tunnel and pad meters, and that is made even more extreme on AoE fights.

So no, it's not the correct way to play.

Considering I'm not parsing as a healer unless it's progression or 2 other healers leave, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    Getting a rank 1 parse on Sasszine means ignoring all the mechanics, getting as many fish as possible and going batshit crazy on the adds 24/7 while no one else in your raid is allowed to touch them.

That doesn't make you the best player, that just makes you the prolly most liked person in your guild or whatever.
    Also this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyK View Post
    Not always true.

As a Frost DK, I can use AMS (specced Volatile shielding) and Icebound Fortitude, eat some avoidable damage (Rapture Realities on Avatar) while still being able to DPS. Once I've taken the damage, I can heal myself back to full instantly with one Death Strike without burdening any heals. So on your logs it will say

"lawl frost dk nubcake, taking avoidable damage to top meter lawl lawl GTFO"

but it is just one of the ways to maximize dps output. I do this all the time on high M+ run such as HoV, where I would stand inside sentinel AoE to get more dps in. Then I have scrubs yelling "noob dk get out of aoe".
    Sure there are times where you can pop a cd and a personal heal to somewhat make the difference back up, heck I do it all the time. But what about the guys who wont get out of dps range to soak an Arma because they popped their Cd's and thus causing a wipe or the healers to burn thru loads of mana to try and survive the damage. An the sad part is it really doesn't change from pull to pull. They just hope someone else steps up and does a mechanic so they dont have too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    theres more, at sisters for example you can leave the owl for only one person etc
    No one does that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post
    Harjatan have add padding and Fallen Avatar definetly have padding on the add (at this point, you have to be really carefull not to kill it too soon)

Also KJ have padding too (At least on HC)
    The add on Avatar is not padding because if you kill it too soon you wipe anyways. KJ does not have padding either. You don't do dick for damage while he's in the air and Mirror Images and Shadowsouls have to die. And Eggs are unkillable on Harjatan unless they get hit by the cone ability, so no padding there either. I mean I guess technically speaking you can dot them but why waste globals dotting eggs when you can dot Murlocs and Tadpoles.
    Last edited by muto; 2017-10-28 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyK View Post
    Same boat, first time I heard this word was in Night Hold patch. My first reaction was "WOT THE EFF IS THAT?!". They talked like it's a magical word that will solved everything. It's bloody annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

Those on Norm and Heroic don't really need to time the AoE. They wouldn't know.
    I should've added the higher you go up in difficulty the more true that statement becomes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    No one does that.
    yeah no one does that

just check shadow priest logs for example on sisters and youll see
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Shouldn't the #1 goal be to rank the very highest you can on any given boss, whether you are a tank, healer and especially a DPS?
    Your #1 goal should be doing what you have to do so you kill the boss. Anybody that thinks otherwise isn't going to last long in any decent raid.

- - - Updated - - -

But wait, don't you want to AoE to kill the adds so they aren't beating on the raid? If everyone just tunneled the boss, the raid would wipe as well because adds wouldn't die, tornadoes would 100% hit people because there would be no green goo to get rid of the tornadoes.

You have to play for what the situation calls for, and AoEing is absolutely part of fights. Its not just "padding" meters.
    Says the guy that clearly does not understand how the fight works. In mythic too much damage on adds will kill you, in heroic lower if you kill them too quickly you have nothing to dodge the tornados, which probably wont kill a bunch of people now, but is clearly not the correct way to do the fight.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

if u apply for a better guild, they always check the logs. and having gray or green logs on many bosses is definatifly a reason for decline. Number 1 logs arent required, but good players with decent gear will always be in the 90-95 % area consistently without dps whoring.Of course there might be some 80ies sprinkled in because other tactics, longer killtimes , special tasks etc. but good recruiters will notice strong players from their logs.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    No one does that.

- - - Updated - - -

The add on Avatar is not padding because if you kill it too soon you wipe anyways. KJ does not have padding either. You don't do dick for damage while he's in the air and Mirror Images and Shadowsouls have to die. And Eggs are unkillable on Harjatan unless they get hit by the cone ability, so no padding there either. I mean I guess technically speaking you can dot them but why waste globals dotting eggs when you can dot Murlocs and Tadpoles.
    There is definitely padding on the Avatar add. You assign specific people to hit the Maiden outside of shields(typically priests/locks, with mages not really being able to avoid doing it as well), because you only have ~24%(or ~49% if you're only doing 3 shields) of her HP you can afford to directly DPS off. That means if for example an Arms warrior is allowed to stand on the Maiden and cleave, he'll parse higher than the guy who has to stay away from the Maiden outside of shields because his guild has a lot of mages/locks/priests.
    KJ does have padding to some extent(especially on heroic, but you can make it happen even on mythic) because of tank/DPS adds(and healer adds are huge for healer ranks) that you can afford to let fewer people handle on farm, meaning those few people get to do a lot more overall damage.
    Harjatan definitely has padding, because his adds are basically irrelevant, so you can just let a few people deal with them in order to have those few people get higher ranks.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Its really sad to see how many comment are "if you are in the high end of the game, sure"

Have you even stepped into Mythic?

Madness will consume you!!!

It really depends on what you define as padding.

Maiden of Valor on Avatar -is- padding for the most part unless you are doing the strategy where you DPS the last 24.x% of Maiden off and have Avatar kill her off during the 4th shield, without breaking the 4th shield. If you are breaking 4 shields and letting the fight transition "naturally", all DPS done to her outside of of shield phase that isn't meant to increase your damage done to Avatar is essentially wasted damage.

On the other hand, letting fewer people handle adds that has to die isn't padding because that's still meaningful damage. Erupting Reflection on KJ is a good example of this because they have to die (unlike Maiden of Valor or even most of the Stalkers on Mistress) or you're most likely going to wipe. Having a stronger raid (both DPS and HPS) so you can afford to allocate fewer people to inflate their number isn't really padding, in my opinion, but just able to inflate certain players' throughput (which I concede, may be the definition of padding for some people).

Deleted

As long as it doesn't become the topic of your life. I had absolutely crazy parses when I tanked HFC HC on an undergeared BDK, but I'm not wanking to them.